Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

Murtala Mohammed - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Murtala Mohammed (7662 Views)

Poll: Is Murtala Mohammed a Detrabalized Nigerian Hero?

Yes: 32% (11 votes)
No: 67% (23 votes)
This poll has ended

General Murtala Mohammed's Burial And Corpse (Photos) / Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 / Pictures Of Murtala Mohammed International Terminal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 6:43pm On Sep 03, 2008

@ Deepzone

This your attack on Murtala Mohammed lacks objectivity in all ramification.
Your problem seems more to be with why he led Nigeria into OIC and the Arabic Inscription on the Naira.
So for this he should be seen as a Villain not as a Hero.
Subtlety, this betrays your hatred and your previous post can attest to it.
I urge you to be more objective. The membership is strictly for economic gains. On Abacha and loans please check your source once more as a Pariah nation then, I doubt if any creditor nation ever gave him fresh loans except for the one he inherited.
Is it possible for you to forget Deepzone for a second and tell us why Murtala Mohammed was special in Nigerian history? I called him a villain because he was a coup plotter. What sane nation on earth remunerates a treasoner with such accolades?

If you care you could verify from OIC web site to find out if the conditions of the loan was that all citizenry of recipient nation should all be adherent of Islam.

Who cares about the loans when you've already told me the strings attached to it? When did we collect the loan and of what benefit was it to us?

On inscription in Arabic I think it was basically done to satisfy the northerners literate in Arabic ( as you know before colonisation the Northern Muslim write Hausa in Arabic)

So I guess that Nigerian catholics that are literate in latin should demand for latin inscriptions on our currency, abi? So much for your hero, MurDerer Mohammed.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 6:45pm On Sep 03, 2008

- Boyscout says Nigeria's membership of the OIC was strictly for economic gains . . . HOWEVER in the very next comment he says this - "the conditions of the loan was that all citizenry of recipient nation should all be adherent of Islam."

Since Nigeria is 40% christian and 10% animist . . . doesnt that defeat the so-called "economic" reasons for joining the OIC since we cannot access the interest-free loans?

Exactly!!!!
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2008
Goes back to my earlier statement to one clown on this thread.
The Northern agenda in Nigeria is singular.
To bring peace
and peace in Islam is a state where everyone bows to allah.
These folks have to be watched very carefully
people should not be fooled with their smiles and seemingly nice demeanour.
deception is their middle name.
[size=14pt]A Northerner would do anything to foster Arab interests in place of Nigerian interest.[/size]

I wish I could lay my hands on the neck of that Lord Lugard
@bold, I wouldn't have said it better.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by QuotaSyste(m): 8:49pm On Sep 03, 2008
My people, make una no worry. Wait until Igbo man ascends the presidential throne (that's if the luggard's cage still remain one until then). All these things on this thread and other thread's discussion will be scrapped. To mention but a few, MM name of Lagos airport must be changed because of non merit by MM himself, nigga-area's membership of OIC will be withdrawn immediately, gigantic airport and seaport of MM's and Apapa size will be built somewhere at Enugu and Onitsha respectively and last, but not the least amongst others that i don't have enough time to list here, a new nigerian capital will be built in a less habited town near Umuahia. Abuja will cease to be capital just as Lagos did.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by RichyBlacK(m): 8:56pm On Sep 03, 2008
boyscout:

@ Nigeria1
that is news.

@ Deepzone

This your attack on Murtala Mohammed lacks objectivity in all ramification.
Your problem seems more to be with why he led Nigeria into OIC and the Arabic Inscription on the Naira.
So for this he should be seen as a Villain not as a Hero.
Subtlety, this betrays your hatred and your previous post can attest to it.
I urge you to be more objective. The membership is strictly for economic gains. On Abacha and loans please check your source once more as a Pariah nation then, I doubt if any creditor nation ever gave him fresh loans except for the one he inherited.

If you care you could verify from OIC web site to find out if the conditions of the loan was that all citizenry of recipient nation should all be adherent of Islam.

On inscription in Arabic I think it was basically done to satisfy the northerners literate in Arabic ( as you know before colonisation the Northern Muslim write Hausa in Arabic).

Hold it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you go further should the inscription have been there ? Well many are quote opinionated about that. but since it was removed I guess no one queried it or talked about why it was removed.

davidylan:

Lets analyse this two comments more closely.

first boyscout enjoins us to be "more objective" . . . we'll see whether he even adheres to his own advice.

- Boyscout says Nigeria's membership of the OIC was strictly for economic gains . . . HOWEVER in the very next comment he says this - "the conditions of the loan was that all citizenry of recipient nation should all be adherent of Islam."

Since Nigeria is 40% christian and 10% animist . . . doesnt that defeat the so-called "economic" reasons for joining the OIC since we cannot access the interest-free loans?

Nephew David, it seems you misread boyscout's post. What he wrote is in bold red.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by RichyBlacK(m): 9:15pm On Sep 03, 2008
@topic,

As seeklove stated, Murtala Mohammed was guilty of war crimes during the Biafran War. His men killed Igbos, young and old, in cold blood from Umunede to Asaba. They continued into the Igbo heartland but were routed at Abagana! For his unique style of evil during the Biafran War, I've never really had any respect for him. His assassination by Dimka was karma.

My favorite military regime remains Buhari/Idiagbon. This Muslim-Muslim duo, did so much good for Nigeria, and tried to bring back Nigeria's glory. It's not about religion but about character. In my opinion, no government since then has come close! May Idiagbon's soul rest in peace!

@everybody,
[size=18pt]The naira was introduced in 1973 while Gowon, not Murtala, was head of state.[/size]
Re: Murtala Mohammed by doyin13(m): 9:29pm On Sep 03, 2008
My question now to all you opinionated souls is this:

Can they ever be any public memoriam for an individual which will not prove controversial?
Re: Murtala Mohammed by seeklove: 12:21am On Sep 04, 2008
RichyBlacK:

@topic,

As seeklove stated, Murtala Mohammed was guilty of war crimes during the Biafran War. His men killed Igbos, young and old, in cold blood from Umunede to Asaba. They continued into the Igbo heartland but were routed at Abagana! For his unique style of evil during the Biafran War, I've never really had any respect for him. His assassination by Dimka was karma.

My favorite military regime remains Buhari/Idiagbon. This Muslim-Muslim duo, did so much good for Nigeria, and tried to bring back Nigeria's glory. It's not about religion but about character. In my opinion, no government since then has come close! May Idiagbon's soul rest in peace!

@everybody,
[size=18pt]The naira was introduced in 1973 while Gowon, not Murtala, was head of state.[/size]

Word!!!!!!!
The issue here is not religion! The issue is the character and leadership of Murtala Mohamed. Let us remain objective and not make this thread a religious war arena.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nigeria10: 2:23am On Sep 04, 2008
RichyBlacK you be igboman,
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 2:37am On Sep 04, 2008
My question now to all you opinionated souls is this:

Can they ever be any public memoriam for an individual which will not prove controversial?
Controversy varies. Agreed, some Nigerians try so hard to relate Abiola with the ITT project but he never committed heinous acts like Murtala Mohammed. MM was a cabal who ruled by division, he killed and maimed those that did not agree with him and who knows, had he ruled for about 4 years, sharia law would've been implemented even in the south south/south east states.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:36am On Sep 04, 2008
Is Nigeria part of any Christian Organizations, than you people stating that all MM did was make Nigeria a member of OIC should quite frankly pick at something else,
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nigeria10: 7:54am On Sep 04, 2008
josboy sorry, murtala try to turn nigeria into a north coubtry. how can a person force his believe and his tribe on others, no good ruler should do that.

We have had 2 head of state that die in power. and they both die for the same reason.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by boyscout: 8:47am On Sep 04, 2008
@ Deepzone and David,

Before you go any further on the loan condition, recipient nations should not necessarily be an Islamic state . If I had created any other impression, then Accept my apologies.

Lets see your point on MM @Deepzone

Arabic Inscription on the Naira: This was actually done during the regime of Gen. Yakubu Gowon -a Christan (North) as there is no evidence that the naira was changed during the regime of MM

OIC Membership: All available records show that Nigeria became a member state during the regime of Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo -a Christan (South). As Deepzone had earlier said, even if it was MM intention as far as he did not lead us there at that point in time you can not hang him on this.

Let us not forget that the polity of the World at that time allowed Obasanjo to lean towards Pan Africanism and to see it through it will associate with any thing that is against aparthied that is why World bank and its likes may not have been an option for us then. The . the nationalisation policy is one major decision taken then to show case pan Africanism (BP = AP)

If you do have more facts do bring it on

On MMIA: Well we do have to look at all monuments named after all known names and view it from allegations against them (You will be luck if we will ever name anything after anyone as all hands seems soiled)
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nigeria10: 1:42pm On Sep 04, 2008
boyscout stop telling a lie. So are you saying obasanjo a christian now went to OIC and ask them nigeria want to join OIC, that does not make sense. Murtala did. May be OIC approve it while obasanjo took over after the coup. but murtala was the one who apply for OIC membership. do not try to rewrite history and tell us lies,
Re: Murtala Mohammed by boyscout: 2:28pm On Sep 04, 2008
Nigeria1@;:

boyscout stop telling a lie. So are you saying Obasanjo a Christian now went to OIC and ask them Nigeria want to join OIC, that does not make sense. Murtala did. May be OIC approve it while Obasanjo took over after the coup. but Murtala was the one who apply for OIC membership. do not try to rewrite history and tell us lies,

Let us say this for sure.

Abacha was said to have done all the necessary frame work for GSM operations. The Glory of the GSM revolutions today goes to Obj for sure because he saw to it happening. If its true that MM applied as it the time it was granted he had passed to the beyond then Oga Obj accepted. And signed all the necessary papers.

Oga Nigeria! am quite sure with from the archives of your satellite images you will for sure be able to see it was Obj that lead us there. grin

No offense meant.

My point here is leave MM alone efforts to Vilify him will draw no empathy. Let us stick to IBB,Abacha and Abdulsalam bashing if the Presidents of Northern extractions are your targets.

Wait O!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigeria1 hope your beef against MM has nothing to do with relocation of the Federal Capital to Abj from Lag. Well am sure if your memo arrived on schedule Justice Aguda would have helped to make sure your articulated points supported with the satellite images are treated accordingly shocked
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DisGuy: 3:43pm On Sep 04, 2008
it's always refreshing to hear/read the facts at last!

thanks
boyscout and richy for enlightening us jare
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 04, 2008
My point here is leave MM alone efforts to Vilify him will draw no empathy. Let us stick to IBB,Abacha and Abdulsalam bashing

Your point. . . . . . . . meaning the final say?
Abeg stop displaying the exact behaviour Deepzone is accusing MM of.

Why include Abacha, IBB and Abdulsalam now, are they no more saint like most of you in the north said?

Abeg, the topic is about MM.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by boyscout: 4:12pm On Sep 04, 2008
@nuzo

Exactly, so since the accusation against him cannot be sustained then we should let the man rest in peace. Within a short rule there was a dramatic change and he was applauded for it.
As for this other guys mentioned we all know their case and that they are from one tribe or faith should not be a criteria for exempting them.

Corruption or Misrule no be birth right of any group.If you wan hit on the guy ,pursure am as human being not where the guy come from.coz na dis kind thing make nazis follow Jews

Biko. Cool temper. grin
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nigeria10: 4:17pm On Sep 04, 2008
WQhat did abacha do about GMS, i want to know. Is given your friends GSM licences homework on GSM. Or asking for bribe from one of the international telecommunication company who were willing to setup a GSM service homework.?
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2008
boyscout:

@nuzo

Exactly, so since the accusation against him cannot be sustained then we should let the man rest in peace. Within a short rule there was a dramatic change and he was applauded for it.
As for this other guys mentioned we all know their case and that they are from one tribe or faith should not be a criteria for exempting them.

I think that many people will find it reasonable if you said MM was just a human being who had his bad side as a president but also had his good side which you think is applaud-able. But trying so hard to exonerate him all his errors as history states makes you the one not sustaining the truth here.

I also think its high time we did away with the culture of allowing the dead to rest in peace if they had a case to answer while they were alive.

boyscout:

@nuzo
Corruption or Misrule no be birth right of any group.If you wan hit on the guy ,pursure am as human being not where the guy come from.because na this kind thing make nazis follow Jews

Biko. Cool temper. grin

The emboldened statement shows that if Deepzone and her likes are biased on their judgement on the north, then you are even worst.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 5:45pm On Sep 04, 2008
Corruption or Misrule no be birth right of any group.If you wan hit on the guy ,pursure am as human being not where the guy come from.[size=14pt]because na this kind thing make nazis follow Jews[/size]

This is no joke. Do you remember that Nigerian that was jailed last year in Europe for cracking a joke like this? Just stay up north if you have to crack jokes with the holocaust.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nigeria10: 6:56pm On Sep 04, 2008
boyscout read my statement before you talk.

seeklove , everyman made mistake na, no kill the man again. I know he was involve in the killing of igbos. he had his good side, one was he introduce what they called murtala chicken those days. but what destroy murtala reputation was his moving of the capital from lagos.

His motive was bias, his motive was to promote the north. how do you overthrow a govt and withing the first 7 days decided that lagos was dirty in 1976. you need to see lagos then. Set up a group that they teleguide even some of the men were yorubaman with phd. Murtala was a good student of history. the present capital abuja was the capital of a old fulani/hausa kingdom. even with the same name,

For the record books, the centre of nigeria is not within the federal capital area of abuja. it is south of the FCT. see google

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=abuja+++kingdom+zaria&meta=

that why if you are in power remember that some people would kill you, if you continue to be stubborn. It is to be fair to everybody. Murtala was rigid. I forgot , he was married to a yoruba woman. You can not judge him as the best president because he had just 6 month. he never did anything special that you can point to expect moving the capital to abuja.

That why if nigerian want to rule they have to know they are president of nigeria and not the north. If not, they would keep on watching their back, if not another murtala cases , God would never make happen. But a stubborn selfish bias, tribalist president would end up dead in nigeria.
Dead people do not remain president. Nigeria president have to get out of be leader of nigeria and not the president of the north.

That why when president yar adua appointed too many northerner, me i shout very loud. before he made the same mistake murtala made. una know na, me and Turai na fomile like baba suwe would say it. make then no kill uncle for my Turai.
R. I .P murtala.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by AloyEmeka9: 7:12pm On Sep 04, 2008
Murhi Murhi=N20.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by DeepZone: 9:52pm On Sep 04, 2008
My point here is leave MM alone efforts to Vilify him will draw no empathy.[b] Let us stick to IBB,Abacha and Abdulsalam[/b] bashing if the Presidents of Northern extractions are your targets.

Wait O!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigeria1 hope your beef against MM has nothing to do with relocation of the Federal Capital to Abj from Lag. Well am sure if your memo arrived on schedule Justice Aguda would have helped to make sure your articulated points supported with the satellite images are treated accordingly Shocked

@Bold, holy smoke! There are more and probably more before MurDerer Mohammed. All the leaders you have produced stink with corruption. A tribe called Ole!
Re: Murtala Mohammed by boyscout: 10:01am On Sep 05, 2008
@Deepzone(Funmi),

Wake up. You do not get to lead a nation with talks like this.
I guess you all know what led to the holocaust. It was spread of hatred for the Jews. Before Hitler lead Germany there were complain that the Jews were the problems of the Nazis or white supremacist. Not long after, the idea of wiping them out as conceived and the rest is in our history books.
Same here for now as you have constantly spread nothing but hatred and subtlety you are drawing innocent one into it as you either force them to take side with you or his/her own with prejudice.
Judge a man for who he is not the colour of his skin. Your present indoctrination crusade will leave less to be desired. As humans we do have our short comings. If you are a good student of history you do understand that power of dominance is transient and has moved across the globe from the Greeks to present America possibly heading towards China.
In our own little conclaves we do have similar things. Check out Delta State for one,where there are cries of Urhobo Dominance,Kogi - Igala,Benue - Tiv, Adamawa - Fulani, Ogun where all others against the Yewas.
( I do not want to justify the dominance but its always there.You can take a close look at your people and you will be able to zero this in)
Division will not do this nation any good.
I will urge you to honestly look at your tribe the Yoruba and tell me you have no corruption.Put into consideration those that served in power and those that had friends in office and benefited from Government policies.
Could there be more to this attitude of yours than just you want us to see?
If its personal ,please square up with the individual and stop generalizing.
Across the divides you have good persons and bad ones.
Omo Iya wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Jarus(m): 12:10pm On Sep 05, 2008
boyscout:

@ Deepzone and David,

Before you go any further on the loan condition, recipient nations should not necessarily be an Islamic state . If I had created any other impression, then Accept my apologies.

Lets see your point on MM @Deepzone

1,Arabic Inscription on the Naira: This was actually done during the regime of Gen. Yakubu Gowon -a Christan (North) as there is no evidence that the naira was changed during the regime of MM

2,OIC Membership: All available records show that Nigeria became a member state during the regime of Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo -a Christan (South). As Deepzone had earlier said, even if it was MM intention as far as he did not lead us there at that point in time you can not hang him on this.

Let us not forget that the polity of the World at that time allowed Obasanjo to lean towards Pan Africanism and to see it through it will associate with any thing that is against aparthied that is why World bank and its likes may not have been an option for us then. The . the nationalisation policy is one major decision taken then to show case pan Africanism (BP = AP)

If you do have more facts do bring it on

On MMIA: Well we do have to look at all monuments named after all known names and view it from allegations against them (You will be luck if we will ever name anything after anyone as all hands seems soiled)

1,So desperate to find MM's fault was Deepzone that she did not do her research well before coming up with something to 'back' her hatred for this man. If your intention is not borne out of hatred for this man because of his tribe & religion, I challenge you to disprove the boldened sentence.

2, I know you will want to disprove this(no 2)by saying OBJ, Musa Yar'adua,TY Danjuma were MM's boys, that they only implemented MM's idea. But for the first point, I know you can't tell me Gowon was MM's boy.

Please girl, when next you want to dress your subjective dislike for somebody on some 'objective' reasons, do deeper research.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by RibaduFan(m): 2:38am On Sep 06, 2008
What none of the proponents of MM has done is to clearly point out the good things this man did while in governance. Maybe if they did this, maybe Deepzone and others might change their views about him. Maybe.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:50am On Sep 06, 2008
yemmyse:

What none of the proponents of MM has done is to clearly point out the good things this man did while in governance. Maybe if they did this, maybe Deepzone and others might change their views about him. Maybe.

I sourly doubt that,
Re: Murtala Mohammed by QuotaSyste(m): 4:16am On Sep 06, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

I sourly doubt that,
Do you know that the logo of the Nigerian Army also has some strange Arabic scribbles, whose meaning is lost to those of us who are Arabic script-illiterate? Don't worry. Just wait until Igbo person mounts the presidential throne. All those rubbish things must be scrapped even if it means by force. If you can't communicate in English which is nigeria's official language, then you can jump into any nearest lagoon and get drawn.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by MCUsman(m): 10:35am On Sep 06, 2008
Poll for today 06/09/2008

Question: Is Murtala Mohammed a Detrabalized Nigerian Hero?

Yes 9 (40.9%)
No 13 (59.1%)

Total Votes: 22

I can see DEEPZONE face bleak with fury. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Murtala Mohammed by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 06, 2008
22 out of 140 mill persons?
My friend, stop being ridiculous.
Re: Murtala Mohammed by RibaduFan(m): 1:00pm On Sep 06, 2008
I just cast my vote and guess what it was. Of course u guessed right, it was a very big NO.

My vote had nothing to do with tribal or religous sentiment. It was based on the fact that no one has been able to convince me that the man did anything positive for the nation. Unless one regards ethic cleansing, coup ploting and attempting to make the entire nation a mono-religous state positive.

Did MM initiate any major economic programme during his administration of the country?
Did MM improve the image of the country during his administration?
Did he do anything to unify the country?
Is there any positive sign of MM administration in the south

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

List Of Evil Accomplishments Of Boko Haram / PHCN Deploys New Meter Installation Strategies In Lagos / Yes, Buhari Is Sick (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.