Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome (12152 Views)

Opera Vs Mozilla Vs Google Chrome: Which Is The Fastest Web Browser? / Can't Open Facebook On Google Chrome. / Google Announces Own OS (Google Chrome OS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by kehers(m): 10:25am On Sep 03, 2008
Woooo, I av been missing on the gist, cant believe people are already up with Chome. Yet to though but I've been checking a couple of reviews about it, Heard the gist about its speed and there is a reivew about that around here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10030888-92.html?part=rss.
I still kinda wonder why Google loves this idea of designing the installer in a small size and that downloads the rest online (Just like their Gears). This makes it difficult to install offline.
Whatever sha, I think Chrome will seriously rock the browser world. The missing features can be pardoned for now (being beta) and I bet they will sure do something about that. Depending on what it turns out to be, after download, I may still stick to Firefox - if only for the developer addons I use on it. But I bet Chrome will in no time catch up with Firefox in terms of that, being open source.
More talks, when I download mine wink
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by carmelily: 10:31am On Sep 03, 2008
downloading it even as we speak. i just hope the task manager works better than IE's.

hanen:

Its awesome, I'm using it now. I especially love the task manager, and the ability to ISOLATE what's dragging the browser/cpu. There's nothing more annoying than having to crash the entire browser (full of opened tabs BTW) because of some flash plugin ONE page.

i discovered a trick to this problem. don't touch anything, just let things be for a minute or so when the browser drags and everything (all tabs) is restored to working order smiley
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Frizy(m): 10:33am On Sep 03, 2008
spikedcylinder:

I know I'm old school but what happened to good old Internet Explorer? undecided

Nothing men. grin grin. We dey the same level!
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by carmelily: 10:40am On Sep 03, 2008
Frizy:

Nothing men.

You can't restore last session with internet explorer. Amongst other wahala grin
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by keba(m): 10:53am On Sep 03, 2008
carmelily:

You can't restore last session with internet explorer. Amongst other wahala grin
true talk angry yet to give this chrome thingy a try.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by femzy(m): 10:56am On Sep 03, 2008
So far Chrome has been doing good for the past 2days but most of the effects were snifffed out from Opera, I just hope it doesn't crash often sha,
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by spikedcylinder: 11:00am On Sep 03, 2008
carmelily:

Oh yea. But Firefox can do that.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by carmelily: 11:02am On Sep 03, 2008
spikedcylinder:

Oh yea. But Firefox can do that.

That's why i always stuck to firefox. just installed google chrome secs ago. loving it. but why is the window so HUGE? sorta have to widen my eyes to use it. eye-popping for sure cheesy
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Builder: 11:19am On Sep 03, 2008
To soon to start disturbing ma peace with this chrome thang, the jury still out on it besides, so far no reviews yet, ma safari is still serving me well, so for now viva safari
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by elfuego(m): 11:40am On Sep 03, 2008
i used firefox guess it's cool
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by tassmal(m): 11:44am On Sep 03, 2008
i am going to try this but guys u know what triping me. it is a girl who introduced it here and most of the repiles are from girls. they are catching up on tech. i am happy. now i can finally find a babe who i can talk to. wow.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Seun(m): 11:53am On Sep 03, 2008
I think it's safe to say I think this browser is much better than Firefox, IE, and Safari.  The first thing that strikes you is how efficiently it uses your display area.  And you can save sessions.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by carmelily: 11:54am On Sep 03, 2008
paternalistically speaking,

tassmal:

i am going to try this but guys u know what triping me. it is a girl who introduced it here and most of the repiles are from girls. they are catching up on tech. i am happy. now i can finally find a babe who i can talk to. wow.

back to topic, been using chrome for an hour or so now, and quite frankly, i don't get the big deal yet. maybe i still will undecided
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Greycells(m): 12:37pm On Sep 03, 2008
am doing this on chrome, it is cool, kinda cool,
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by sosodat: 1:24pm On Sep 03, 2008
For those using firefox and Safari, have u tried Opera. Opera is way faster, takes up less memory, can save ur sessions, doesnt hang, stores the pages ur browsed effectively automatically for offline browsing, u cant lose ur sessions even if the PC shuts down unexpectedly etc.

Am testing the Chrome, its as fast as Opera and has a nice interface but doesnt take into account that ur internet connection can disconnect. Hence all tabs will display "page unavailable". U cant also view pages u browsed online as offline.

Sticking with my Opera!
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Pataki: 2:04pm On Sep 03, 2008
All this hype on Chrome. undecided Very soon Facebook will churn out their browser.

I am highly resistant to change often times. Seen the Chrome, downloaded it, but not yet feeling it. I still prefer my Firefox (King of Browser) any day and time. IE is the most useless browser ever invented, and Opera is okay and preferable after Firefox.

For my ratings, Firefox-Chrome-Opera- Safari-IE
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by WebMonk(m): 2:12pm On Sep 03, 2008
Wow. see the gist i didn't think would catch the buzz. oh well, my bad.

Call it the Google effect, but I'm feeling the chrome SERIOUSLY! Although It reads CSS a bit differently (small "damn"wink

I've done a review of sorts. Comments are welcome.

I guess what's tripping everyone now is how good it is as a first beta (you gotta admit) It just goes to show how a company combines tech and business (like hydrogen and oxygen) and boom!

wonder how microsoft will respond to this. ah well
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by saddik(m): 2:19pm On Sep 03, 2008
my besk browser is opera 9.5, i like the notes, the tabs and it remains the same when you rebot ur systm.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by getukudo(m): 2:58pm On Sep 03, 2008
Omo dis download dey take time o! neva knew it was downloading from d net
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by texazzpete(m): 3:10pm On Sep 03, 2008
Am i the only one that's apprehensive about this?

I mean, it's a great browser and all, but it seems like we're going to be replacing one monopoly with another. I grow increasingly uneasy at Google's aim of monitoring our every move to push ads to us.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great move on Google's part. . .but we should watch out for the catch somewhere down the line.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by yawatide(f): 3:20pm On Sep 03, 2008
@texas
you do have a choice you know. I mean, it's not like google held a gun to your head wink
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by akininNC(m): 3:37pm On Sep 03, 2008
Just downloaded chrome and I am loving the speed. I a m a long time user of mozilla and this might make me switch. A couple of minor glitches and getting used to the layout are the only drawback I see so far but the speed more than makes up for it.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Gejeans(m): 3:48pm On Sep 03, 2008
hi guys what does anyone know about the Flock browser, think its also a decent one.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by spikedcylinder: 5:14pm On Sep 03, 2008
I have downloaded this.

All I can honestly say is :

kshew. angry
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by bigboyslim(m): 5:21pm On Sep 03, 2008
I experienced my first browser crash on Chrome Last night. It affected all browser windows that I had open and when I tried to restart it, it didnt give me the option of restoring previous running sessions. With Firefox, restarting after a crash would restore previously running windows, so Firefox still rocks in this area. But the speed in Chrome is still amazing, I feel like Usain Bolt anytime i'm online now.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by texazzpete(m): 5:34pm On Sep 03, 2008
yawa-ti-de:

@texas
you do have a choice you know. I mean, it's not like google held a gun to your head wink

Re-read what i wrote until comprehension sinks in.
I never said i will not use Google Chrome, or that i will ever feel forced to use it.
I expressed concern that if Google manages to obtain a monopoly in the long run in the Browser wars, it could then lead to an online monopoly by Google.

There are valid concerns expressed by people at just how far ad companies go to obtain personalised info to push specific ads at consumers.

Al i'm expressing now is vague apprehension. it may be just worrying over nothing. But i never said anything against the browser itself.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by WebMonk(m): 5:36pm On Sep 03, 2008
Keep em coming people. this thing rocks!

New things i love amongst others:

1- Paste and go: Rather than pasting and hitting the go button or enter key, it pastes the URL and goes straight to it!
2- Connection status via rotating icon: Has anyone noticed how the rotation animation beside the tab title acts? If it's connecting to a resource, it rotates a slow anit-clockwise, if it's downloading from the resource, it goes fast clockwise. It's minute, but it helps to see if you're browsing or not.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by WebMonk(m): 5:42pm On Sep 03, 2008
Ok - A minus!

Chrome doesn't support mouse wheel scrolling! (clicking the mouse wheel in to smooth scroll up/down a page) cry
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by charlisco(m): 5:43pm On Sep 03, 2008
well i am into online registration of candidate, let me c if google chrome can do the trick i do use opera for.
about to download mine
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Seun(m): 6:01pm On Sep 03, 2008
I experienced my first browser crash on Chrome Last night. It affected all browser windows that I had open and when I tried to restart it, it didnt give me the option of restoring previous running sessions.
Google Chrome supports session recovery.  It's just not enabled by default. See the attachment

Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by yawatide(f): 6:19pm On Sep 03, 2008
@texas
you too need to read the tea leaves tongue

I read what you said and was addressing whomever, not just you. In the end, if anyone has concerns about a monopoly, all they have to do is not download/use it. However, judging from the posts on this issue, it seems we r too late cool
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by identified(m): 6:32pm On Sep 03, 2008
just downloaded mine n it didn't take up to 30mins. im about to try it out,  it sure feels good sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

@@@ Do You Need A Professional Website(Jumia, Olx, Courier ETC) / Community(P2P) / Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About 2go / How To Buy Airtime From Your Bank Account (all Banks In Nigeria)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.