Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,436 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome (12148 Views)

Opera Vs Mozilla Vs Google Chrome: Which Is The Fastest Web Browser? / Can't Open Facebook On Google Chrome. / Google Announces Own OS (Google Chrome OS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 04, 2008
I prefer using safari b/c it delivers best than IE 7 and Firefox but will try the new Chrome grin there's no harm in trying anyway smiley
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by mecussey(m): 10:02am On Sep 04, 2008
Chrome looks very nice and fast; with the spell check, it is very amazing. I feel very sad, how people are still inventing while we take advantage, too sad.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by solarrr: 10:06am On Sep 04, 2008
pls MR Seun Osewa, my name is sola ojo . am sorry to be requesting somefin like dis on dis forum . i need u to give me kiibati bankole(razorr) mobile number. me and her ve not seen each other for the past 12yrs.we use to be childhood friend when we were both staying in d same house in adigbe,abeokuta. since then we ve lost contact.  i saw her on tv recently and dat prompted me to remember her and search for her on the internet. so pls pls pls pls do  reply my message. thanks so much
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by connkg(m): 10:09am On Sep 04, 2008
Chrome LOOKS AND FEELS good, no doubt, but there ARE issues pending:

- susceptability to virus' attacks
- that EULA thing

Let time tell.
I need help though; before I switch fully to another browser, it has to have the "Send to Bluetooth" and "Send to OneNote" options.
I find I need these two a lot. IE7 offers both. I'll ready to ditch it, too.
IE8 seems not to run on Vista. Am I correct?
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by mendax: 10:37am On Sep 04, 2008
its true that the browser market is monopolised by IE, there's need for competition. competition is always good for the market
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by smartsoft(m): 10:53am On Sep 04, 2008
now i'm in love with this browser,
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by castrolng: 11:49am On Sep 04, 2008
Chrome: The browser for Africa,finally The speed is awesome, I'm enjoyin every minute of this.

I can only guess that they must make use of the enormous cache of google search,

I'll have to do an extensive feature review of this piece of machine for scitech360.com that's if someone doesn't volunteer soon, yawa-tide?

Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by carmelily: 1:57pm On Sep 04, 2008
i'm really feeling the "incognito window" feature. simply amazing. the neato bandito icon ain't bad either! the controls are a little weird at 1st, but once you get a hang of it, it's pretty cool. but i don't think it's much faster than firefox. and i do miss the scrapbook extension on firefox.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by osasp(m): 3:06pm On Sep 04, 2008
i aint feeling it
the design is sick though

u cant speed-scroll thru a page,

theres no progress bar or wateva its called(the thing that shows u how far the page is loading)

and wheres the menu bar?

its all gd still
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Greycells(m): 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2008
DoS vulnerability hits Google’s Chrome, crashes with all tabs
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1847&tag=nl.e539

Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed. Restart now? While Google’s Chrome team is cheering, Rishi Narang from Evil Fingers is typing and releasing a proof of concept for a denial of service vulnerability that is successfully crashing the Chrome browser with all tabs. According to Narang’s advisory :

“An issue exists in how chrome behaves with undefined-handlers in chrome.dll version 0.2.149.27. A crash can result without user interaction. When a user is made to visit a malicious link, which has an undefined handler followed by a ’special’ character, the chrome crashes with a Google Chrome message window “Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed. Restart now?”. It crashes on “int 3″ at 0×01002FF3 as an exception/trap, followed by “POP EBP” instruction when pointed out by the EIP register at 0×01002FF4.”

Nothing’s impossible the impossible just takes a little longer.

Whenever a new product is in its introduction stage, it would logically attract a lot of attention from security researchers trying to a make a point that it’s vulnerable, and that some of the vulnerabilities are pretty trivial. For instance, yesterday David Maynor from Errata Security pin pointed possibilities for exploitation in Google’s Chrome, saying that :

“Google just released Chrome, their own web browser. We decided to run it through Looking Glass and it doesn’t look half bad. They at least have ASLR enabled on a few of their libraries, no NX though. Chrome is not as bad as some apps I have seen but that is not saying much.”

What’s important though, is whether or not the browser release would also start attracting the attention of cybercriminals. Being anything but old-fashioned, they too do their homework and take into consideration the market share of a particular browser in order to increase the impact of exploiting it. Consequently, for the time being the level of exploitability of Google’s Chrome is right after Opera’s from the perspective of the malicious attacker taking into consideration Chrome’s non-existent market share.

Would the level of exploitability change? In the fist quarter of 2009, Google would presumably release stats of the number of people who downloaded Chrome, demonstrating nothing else but the introduction stage of their browser. The question is, how many of those who downloaded it would actually stick with it, and would companies embrace it if it does gets popular enough, potentially increasing the exploitability level of any upcoming vulnerabilities?

Considering the fact that according to public statistics of usage share of web browsers, IE6 users are just as many as IE7 ones, converting from Firefox or IE to Google’s Chrome is not going to happen overnight.

Dancho Danchev is an independent security consultant and cyber threats analyst, with extensive experience in open source intelligence gathering, malware and E-crime incident response. Dancho is also involved in business development, marketing research and competitive intelligence as an independent contractor. He's been an active security blogger since 2007, and maintains a popular security blog sharing real-time threats intelligence data with the rest of the community on a daily basis.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by zPixel(m): 5:52pm On Sep 04, 2008
The browser is cool, very light, slightly faster. But not withstanding it cant still beat Mozilla for now because of its inability to accept plug ins (it might be added later since this is still a beta version).

Concerning the installation, if you will like to get the full installation while downloading for the first time for vista users check C:\Users\*yourComputername*\AppData\Local you will see a Google folder inside. That's where the real setup is after the installation .
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by SeanT21(f): 5:59pm On Sep 04, 2008
Sorry I am not big on Computer but WHAT IS A CHROME?
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by namzo(m): 7:32pm On Sep 04, 2008
I use only 2 browsers now- Firefox3/chrome, which is kind of like using one browser divided into two,  although chrome seems to be a little' bit faster. I like d move to minimize eating up d users sys memory. by d way, this is just their first shot. i believe it's a nice move. I HATE MICROSOFT (i'm sure Mr. Billy doesn't use IE),  i would be very happy if google buys mozilla,

by d way, is it a general problem or is it only my mouse scroller that doesn't scroll upwards in google chrome 
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by AKO1(m): 8:55pm On Sep 04, 2008
Please can anyone explain what the "incognito window" is all about?

SeanT21:

Sorry I am not big on Computer but WHAT IS A CHROME?

Well if you are not being sarcastic Firefox is to Mozilla as Safari is to Apple as Chrome is to Google.

You get? smiley
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by 2sleek2NV(m): 11:24pm On Sep 04, 2008
tried opening hotmail on it and it requested i go back to IE or Firefox.
any1 wit same issue
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by 2sleek2NV(m): 11:40pm On Sep 04, 2008
also noticed dat on facebook,d pix keeps bouncing back to d one u r viewing. doesnt go to d next
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by zPixel(m): 11:55pm On Sep 04, 2008
also noticed that on facebook,d pix keeps bouncing back to d one you're viewing. doesnt go to d next
I noticed that too.
anyone wit same issue
nah.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by zoraro(m): 7:55am On Sep 05, 2008
Get the stand alone "Offline" installer of Google Chrome here http://cache.pack.google.com/chrome/install/149.27/chrome_installer.exe . Size is only 7.3MB.

Internet Explorer 7 or 8 can restore tabs, pause/resume downloads etc with this addon http://www.ie7pro.com

Sticking with Firefox for now with my 200+ open tabs and 40+ extensions, Opera is my backup.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by carmelily: 9:06am On Sep 05, 2008
osasp:

u can't speed-scroll through a page,

theres no progress bar or whatever its called(the thing that shows u how far the page is loading)

i noticed these two things too and that's crazy really. however, u may have noticed the little semi-circle spinning on tabs when a page is loading.

and wheres the menu bar?

if u mean the URL history, go to the spanner icon at the top right hand side of the screen and click on the arrow.

i still miss firefox scrapbook! embarassed
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Farriel(m): 9:11am On Sep 05, 2008
To: xheggs and other users who put Firefox before Opera

As regards speed, Chrome is no way as fast as Opera. I can equally say the same thing for Firefox, which I use alongside Opera. When FF 3 was announced and Mozilla dubbed it the fastest browser, I downloaded it for that purpose but I was crudely disappointed as I found it even slower than previous versions.

I've always described Opera as the best browser out there and each time guys ask why, I point out speed [/b]to them. Not to mention the other nifty details about it.

Like [b]speed dials
, which xheggs says FF does better with. With Opera, speed dials is not a plugin. Its built right in and that counts for stability and ease of use, unlike the plugin of FF which crashes and chews up memory.

There are other stuffs like mouse gestures which works charmingly and the handy paste and go feature. Not to mention Notes (with which you can select text on any portion of the screen and save to notes, so you can use it later. For example, if its a URL, without having to bookmark a millions sites).

Session management (no browser does this better - trust me, I've used them all. How can my system freeze while working, I pull the power plug. Return 2 days later, turn it on, launch Opera, it asks if I want to continue from last time, I say yes, and voila! All the pages display and I can go back and back and back and see all the other sites I was on - all the while, being offline? Is that not what sessions should truly be about and not asking Start New Session and cant do more than view the pages of static content, as all dynamic pages you were on fails to load, on FF that is?).

And my favourite feature of all, built in Mail [/b]and [b]Contacts.

With the Mail feature, you just click on an email link and a tab pops up to compose a mail, right there in Opera. Provided you have configured your email settings, which is a breeze to do.

Whats more, all addresses you send mails to are automatically saved to your contacts list which you can access at anytime on or offline.

Furthermore, Opera has Voice Controlled browsing, with which you can verbally access your bookmarks or navigate a webpage.

Agan, the Transfer [/b]window in Opera is excellent and as far as I know, Opera is the only browser that supports torrent downloads.

What's more exciting about Opera is that you can edit a site preference by tweaking the [b]browser identifier
. Meaning a site that requires IE to work, Opera can be used to mimic IE and the site opens and you do what you want on it. As far as security goes, its also great.

The list is virtually endless. I have not gone to a site to obtain the pros of Opera, I have simply listed a few of the many amazing things I do with it.

So, to me, its Opera > Firefox > Chrome > Safari > IE.

Not solely due to my fondness of Opera, but based purely on the features the browsers boasts off. I know FF fans will say there are a ton of plugins and ways to customize FF, but the truth is, without the plugins, many of which are great but causes FF to run using more of your precious memory, Opera stands alone and does a fine and decent job of web browsing.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by carmelily: 9:16am On Sep 05, 2008
2sleek2NV:

anyone wit same issue

haven't tried hotmail on it. but i did notice that some sites are incredibly slow on chrome and normal on some other browser when i switched over. couldn't do any work on my institution's portal using chrome. the pages kept getting stuck.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by ausbones(m): 9:59am On Sep 05, 2008
[s]Review: Google Chrome lacks polish under the hood

NEW YORK - Google Inc.'s new Web browser, called Chrome, does much of what a browser needs to do these days: It presents a sleek appearance, groups pages into easy-to-manage "tabs" and offers several ways for people to control their Internet privacy settings.

Yet my initial tests reveal that this "beta," or preliminary release, falls short of Google's goals, and is outdone in an important measure by the latest version of Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer.
Chrome is a challenge to Microsoft's browser, used by about three-quarters of Web surfers. But it could equally be called a challenge to Microsoft's Office software suite, because what Google really wants to do is to make the browser a stable and flexible platform that can do practically everything we want to do with a computer, from word processing and e-mail to photo editing.
To strengthen that effort, Chrome was designed to improve on the way other browsers handle JavaScript, one of the technologies used to make Web pages more interactive and more like desktop software applications. Google's online word processing and spreadsheet programs use this technology, but it's also very widely deployed on Web pages to do less sophisticated things, like drop-down menus.
At first blush, Google's focus on JavaScript makes sense. JavaScript can eat up computer processor power, and if poorly used by a Web site, can bring down the browser. One of the things Chrome promises is that if one browser tab crashes, it won't take down the whole program.
Chrome also has some cosmetic differences from Internet Explorer and Firefox, like putting the tabs at the very top of the window. That's a nice move, but it's the browser's performance that really matters to me. And this is where Chrome's attention to JavaScript might miss the point.
At work, I often have 40 or 50 tabs open in Firefox, grouped in different windows depending on which topic they pertain to. Frequently, Firefox would slow down all the other applications on my computer, then seize up completely.
At first I thought JavaScript was to blame, and blocked it from running. But that made many sites unusable, and it didn't help: The browser still froze.
It turns out the culprit is not JavaScript but another technology used to make Web pages more interactive: Adobe Systems Inc.'s Flash plug-in. It's the program-within-a-program that plays YouTube videos and those annoying "splash" pages that some sites employ to dazzle you with animations before letting you do anything useful on the site.
Flash is a tremendous resource hog in Firefox, eating up processor time to the point where there is nothing left for other programs. It does this even if you're not actively doing anything. Merely having a YouTube page open on your screen will suck power from your computer's central processing unit, or CPU. This is outrageous behavior for a browser. It's my CPU and I want it back.
Luckily, there's a small add-on program for Firefox that lets the user prevent Flash files from running automatically when a page loads, and it turns Firefox into a stable, efficient browser.
What does this mean on Chrome? Well, it has the same problem. It lets sites running Flash take over your computer's resources. It doesn't hog the CPU quite as bad as with Firefox, but in a way, it's more serious, because unlike with Firefox, there's no way to stop Flash from running. Chrome's controls are quite bare-bones, perhaps because it's still in "beta."
On the plus side, Chrome allows you to diagnose problems with runaway plug-ins easily, because it tells you exactly which pages are consuming which resources. Had I been able to do this with Firefox, it would have saved me from months of browser troubles.
So which one comes out smelling like roses? The beta of Internet Explorer 8, released just last week.
When playing a YouTube video, Firefox 3 took up 95 percent of the CPU time on a three-year old laptop running Windows XP.
Chrome came in at 60 percent — still too much. Especially since Google owns YouTube! You'D think it could make its browser work well with that site in particular.
Internet Explorer barely broke a sweat, taking up just a few percent.
When I told each browser to load eight pages, some of which were heavy with Flash and graphics, Firefox took 17 seconds and ended with a continuous CPU load of 50 percent. That means it took up half of my available processing power, even if I wasn't looking at any of the pages.
Chrome loaded them the fastest, at 12 seconds, and ended with a CPU load of about 40 percent.
Internet Explorer 8 took 13 seconds to load, but ended with no CPU load at all.
So while Chrome's performance is a little better than that of Firefox, in practical terms, it is far less useful, because it lacks the broad array of third-party add-ons programs like Flashblock that make Firefox so customizable. With time, it might catch up, but in the meantime, I'D recommend giving the new Internet Explorer a spin. [/s]
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by mecussey(m): 9:59am On Sep 05, 2008
I believe Chrome is still on its early stage; still needs some modifications but for now, the picture quality and video are the best. It plays video without much buffering, for anything video in the web use chrome but explorer is my best web browser because I have enough bandwidth. He who has enough bandwidth will like explorer.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by ausbones(m): 10:34am On Sep 05, 2008
THIS A REVIEW I GOT FROM THE NET:Review: Google Chrome lacks polish under the hood

www.latimes.com/technology/ats-ap-tec-tech-test-google-chromesep03,0,7745164.story

On the Net:
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by flyuche(m): 11:26am On Sep 05, 2008
i must admit this is one sleek browser. good job google.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by A2J(m): 2:12pm On Sep 05, 2008
i wont be surprise when google releases it own operating system, haba, stay in your area of expertise na, Mozilla rules this airway.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Seun(m): 6:36pm On Sep 05, 2008
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by rock101(m): 8:20pm On Sep 05, 2008
I think this chrome thingy is just being overrated, it isnt all that, it isnt even close to all that. It sure has some advantages over IE and I kno IE can be a motherf*&%@! at times but it's still really nice. Now I have four browser installed, Chrome, IE, Opera and Firefox. I mostly use IE tho
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by zoraro(m): 11:33pm On Sep 05, 2008
To people who think that Opera is better than Firefox because Firefox uses plug-ins "extensions". If you follow your own argument to it's logical conclusion, then you shouldn't even be using Opera because Opera is a Windows (or what ever OS you are using) "plug-in". Instead you should use Internet Explorer or Safari which is built into the OS and should use "less precious memory" according to you or be more "stable" as some other Opera Fanboys will claim.

To those that say many of Firefox's extensions replicate or copy opera's features. I say, what's wrong with that after all Opera didn't invent web browsing and therefore copied other browsers features also. Beside, this features are better implemented in Firefox, like speed dial or the "popular" paste and go thing.

The copying  is not even one way, because Opera also copied some Firefox innovations like ad-blocking or content blocking (in Opera parlance) although they are usually not as good as in Firefox.

For Opera's built-in torrent support well, you should know that the first thing I do after upgrading Opera is to disable it's in-built torrent client. No serious torrent user will use it when there are excellent torrent clients like µTorrent which is free and is just 270KB also is easily integrated into Firefox or even Opera. Same goes for in-built mail support.

Firefox handle sessions just as well as opera. I have the Better Cache and Session Manager extensions so even after a system crash all my 200+ tabs are restored, complete, down to where i scrolled to on each tab in just about 2 min whether I was connected to the internet or not (I can view my tabs from last session even when not connected "offline" and go back and forth to previous pages in the current tab like in Opera).

Memory usage is not a big issue in this modern time, I have 1GB of RAM with 200+ tabs Firefox uses only 1/3 of it. Computer memory is quite cheap this days.

Lastly, with extensions Firefox can do all things that Opera can and many that Opera can not, even with user's Java Scripts.

So, Firefox is definitely better than Opera.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by idupaul: 11:42pm On Sep 05, 2008
I cant download the google chrome browser, when i hit the download button it returns me to the home page, any one with any ideas?
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by zoraro(m): 1:02am On Sep 06, 2008
idupaul:

I can't download the google chrome browser, when i hit the download button it returns me to the home page, any one with any ideas?

Get it here http://cache.pack.google.com/chrome/install/149.27/chrome_installer.exe

Just click the link, download it (it's the full version, not the online one) and install.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by idupaul: 1:07am On Sep 06, 2008
zoraro:

Get it here http://cache.pack.google.com/chrome/install/149.27/chrome_installer.exe

Just click the link, download it (it's the full version, not the online one) and install.

thank bt i already solved that, at that time iwas running an ubuntu OS and chrome aint compatible with it yet. got vista running and it worked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

USA Used HP Probook X360 11 G2 / @@@ Do You Need A Professional Website(Jumia, Olx, Courier ETC) / Community(P2P) / Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About 2go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.