Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet (26458 Views)

How Ooni Ogunwusi Met Wuraola, His Mother's Namesake / My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria / I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet by Taken(m): 11:27am On Jan 18, 2009
missshea - you should know that what happened to you does not happen to whites only but to fellow Nija too over here and there.  Parents often contributes to marriage decisions, and unlike American culture it is a wonderful thing to have your parents consent when it comes to marriages.  That consent comes with some kind of blessings. 

By the way, I too have experienced same thing in the hand of a Nigeria parents even though am a nija and am older than the girl.  The point is, if you truly love this guy, you will not encourage him to set himself up against his parents.    Set your love aside and reason - the person that laugh last laughs best.
Re: My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet by missreese: 2:14am On Jan 22, 2009
Trust me misshea, what u must first realise is that this has nothing to do with you, your man is a spineless mama's boy and if u want to spend the rest of your life with him, you must first wait for her to pass away, Nigerians discriminate against everyone whether you a fellow nigerian, fellow tribes man, whatever it is that catches their fancy, they will do,

So its either u pack ur things and move on and pray you meet your own man, or you can grow a pair for him,

my two cents,
Re: My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 29, 2012
I agree nothing you can do to change their mind. My situation is very similar however, Im african american and only a year and a half older than him. Im totally in love with this guy but I found his parents wont approve of us being in a relationship merely because Im not apart of his tribe. His mom wont even try to get to know me. I know how you feel and it does make you feel kind of helpless and hopeless. Very bad feeling because Ive never been in love like this. He is the ONE and ONLY for me.
Re: My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 07, 2013
5 year is too much esp for a white gal IMO, you guys old very fast, and become so damn ugly ,with your wrinkles and your skin falling apart.
Re: My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet by mamahorus(f): 12:20pm On Feb 27, 2015
@justgood; Hmmmmmmmm, take it easy please.
@Poster; My sister, I share ur pain. The line will fall into plesant places eventually.
Pray hard n hold on tight 2 God. All the best honey.
Re: My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet by ohiozei: 3:34pm On Mar 06, 2016
Interestin post. I read all the comments. I am curious to know how the story ended @misshea
Re: My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet by proudlyme(m): 11:45pm On Mar 11, 2016
I second ohiozei's motion...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Yorubas.... Your 'arodan' Experience.... / Emir Sanusi Celebrates 25th Wedding Anniversary With Wife As They Cut Their Cake / How I Was Banned From Speaking Igbo - Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.