Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? (2769 Views)

Unpatriotic Nature Of Nairaland So Called Opposition Crew / Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic / Spreading Rumors That Our President Is Dead Is Unpatriotic And Ungodly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by Blenheim(m): 5:35am On Sep 06, 2008
In America, it is very common to see national flags in front of homes and on cars. The National Anthem means so mcuh to the people of America. Can we say the same of Nigeria?
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by Nobody: 6:29am On Sep 06, 2008
Dont be myopic friend. I know how many friends, connections and biz deals I've lost for hanging the  flag in front of my door and car electric bike grin.

In naija, people do not identify with the flags because it makes them feel it's a property of the corrupt rulers. I mean, when the likes of IBB, OBJ, Odili and co flaunts the flag, it makes one feel dirty identifying with the flag too.

Besides, I'm convinced that wrapping the flag all over your body, house and car is not what determines how patriotic one is.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by Nobody: 6:38am On Sep 06, 2008
On the other hand, most Igbos, a few N/Deltans and maybe a few Yorubas still feel that they are not Nigerians.
Take the case of the Bakassi indegines; i wonder how patriotic you will want those guys to be after being betrayed by their beloved country for selfish purposes.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by QuotaSyste(m): 12:12pm On Sep 06, 2008
Patriotic my arrssss. Have you asked if your rubbish country nigeria can serve it's citizens well as USA does which drives US citizens to their patriotism? You think US citizens just woke up one day and start being patriotic without reasons? Do they operate QUOTA SYSTEM in USA? Some of you don't think at all.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 06, 2008
nuzo:

On the other hand, most Igbos, a few N/Deltans and maybe a few Yorubas still feel that they are not Nigerians.
Take the case of the Bakassi indegines; i wonder how patriotic you will want those guys to be after being betrayed by their beloved country for selfish purposes.

Still carrying that bitterness for our dear country about?? Careful honey, you are fast running out of bile kiss
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by bilymuse: 2:10pm On Sep 06, 2008
nuzo
Dont be myopic friend. I know how many friends, connections and biz deals I've lost for hanging the flag in front of my door and car electric bike

nuzo God will continue to bless you. That useless flag will be the last thing l will hang in front of my house. Times without number, I have been insulted in the airport simply for presenting that useless Nigeria passport.

@poster
The last patriotic Nigerian died in the civil war, his name - Mr Common Man
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by onyinye2(f): 2:17pm On Sep 06, 2008
@post

Why do you want Nigeria to follow another's customs when it comes to being patriotic? Why can't we come up with our own ways? Why must we be like the US and hang flags on our houses and put bumper stickers on our car? Aren't there alternatives?
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by coolier(f): 3:34pm On Sep 06, 2008
Am sure the flag is the least of our problems. We are a hungry nation, and we are angry!
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by Kobojunkie: 4:38pm On Sep 06, 2008
@Poster, the Americans have so many reasons to fly their flag and proudly too. What reasons do Nigerians have to fly theirs? And no “phantom reasons” are not reasons. Just because a person’s believes that some time in the distant future, a miracle will happen and all Nigeria will become like Eden is not reason enough to fly a flag. There is more to flying a flag in America than just hanging cloth on a pole outside of your house, car etc. If you have ever bothered to speak to some of those that fly the American flag, you will learn they have stories to tell you of why they believe it is a country with a flag that is worth flying. Can you say same of Nigeria? Flying a flag does not make anyone patriotic, it could make you seem but does not make you.

Patriotism is not about just being able to fly a flag or claim you are from Nigeria, hence Nigeria is a great country. NO, that is just nothing but mouth service and last I checked, that has nada to do with being patriotic. Come on, you have to at least have something more than just words to show for your claim of being more patriotic than the next man.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by abdurrazaq(m): 4:44pm On Sep 06, 2008
Nigerians are now flying the flags of Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Barca, etc instead of the Green White Green Flag. Have you also notice that you hardly see a Nigerian (if there is any) supporting any club with green in its colours. undecided cry Ghanaians proudly fly their flag even on Nigerian soil ask them why, they have valid reasons.

You want me to show my patriotism by disturbing the flow of air in & out of my house with a flag of Nigeria, Nigeria that can't provide electricity to operate A.C or fan.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by doyin13(m): 4:48pm On Sep 06, 2008
I hope this thread isn't reducing patriotism to flagwaving.

There are all manner of indices for measuring patriotism
and I am sure Nigerians will do well in some of these.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by naijaking1: 1:47am On Sep 07, 2008
abdurrazaq:

Nigerians are now flying the flags of Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Barca, etc instead of the Green White Green Flag. Have you also notice that you hardly see a Nigerian (if there is any) supporting any club with green in its colours. undecided cry Ghanaians proudly fly their flag even on Nigerian soil ask them why, they have valid reasons.

You want me to show my patriotism by disturbing the flow of air in & out of my house with a flag of Nigeria, Nigeria that can't provide electricity to operate A.C or fan.

I go die laughing-o cheesy
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by nuggard(m): 7:58pm On Sep 07, 2008
I'll even wear Nigerian boxers once the come in the desig.

[size=14pt]I love Nigeria.[/size].

If you've grown up in Nigeria without being fiercly patriotic you must have your head examined- I swear.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by grafikdon: 8:19pm On Sep 07, 2008
abdurrazaq:

ROTFLMAO!!!! grin grin grin Chei!
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by dudubobo1: 9:56am On Sep 08, 2008
It is not a sin to be patriotic neither does it take anything away from anyone to be patriotic. Each to their own.

However, those who are saying that Nigeria does not protect them and that Nigeria does not have electricity whereas America has such etc etc need to think well. Who makes things happen in America? Who ensures that merican citizens around the world are well protected and regarded?

When we start realising that we are contributing to our own problems in various ways, we'll stop pointing at expectations from everyone else. What exactly have we contributed to the entity called Nigeria that we expect so much from? Americans generally love their country and try to do things not to damage their Nation. Same cannot be said of the generality of the Nigerian population yet we are expecting the same Nation to give us everything and to provide manna for us.

If you dont love Nigeria, it's your prerogative but for you to start condemning Nigeria for not providing for you when you have contributed nothing to the nation is tantamount to expecting manna from heaven.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by faoni572(m): 11:36am On Sep 08, 2008
QuotaSyste:

Patriotic my arrssss. Have you asked if your rubbish country nigeria can serve it's citizens well as USA does which drives US citizens to their patriotism? You think US citizens just woke up one day and start being patriotic without reasons? Do they operate QUOTA SYSTEM in USA? Some of you don't think at all.

That's a good point, how can you be patriotic to a country that can not serve you better. You want to be patriotic because they are carrying public fund in their pockets.

I barely see electric light in my house and you want me to remember one useless green-white-green flag
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by faoni572(m): 11:55am On Sep 08, 2008
dudu-bobo:

It is not a sin to be patriotic neither does it take anything away from anyone to be patriotic. Each to their own.

However, those who are saying that Nigeria does not protect them and that Nigeria does not have electricity whereas America has such etc etc need to think well. Who makes things happen in America? Who ensures that merican citizens around the world are well protected and regarded?

When we start realising that we are contributing to our own problems in various ways, we'll stop pointing at expectations from everyone else. What exactly have we contributed to the entity called Nigeria that we expect so much from? Americans generally love their country and try to do things not to damage their Nation. Same cannot be said of the generality of the Nigerian population yet we are expecting the same Nation to give us everything and to provide manna for us.

If you don't love Nigeria, it's your prerogative but for you to start condemning Nigeria for not providing for you when you have contributed nothing to the nation is tantamount to expecting manna from heaven.

I want you to know that by merely working or doing bussiness in Nigeria we are already contributing to the nation. I don't think you expect me to have billions of naira in my pocket so I can build roads all in the name that I am contributing to the developments of Nigeria, those are the basic functions of government. The functions of govenment are to provide basic amenities and protection to their citizens. Let them perform their own roles and that will enable us to perform our own roles. There is enough money to build this country but they siphon it to the pockets.

Even by merely working or doing bussiness in this country simply means we are putting in our best as citizens. I don't know what you want from people before you can know they are contributing, you want them to cut their heads?
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by dudubobo1: 12:09pm On Sep 08, 2008
faoni572:

I want you to know that by merely working or doing bussiness in Nigeria we are already contributing to the nation. I don't think you expect me to have billions of naira in my pocket so I can build roads all in the name that I am contributing to the developments of Nigeria, those are the basic functions of government. The functions of govenment are to provide basic amenities and protection to their citizens. Let them perform their own roles and that will enable us to perform our own roles. There is enough money to build this country but they siphon it to the pockets.

Even by merely working or doing bussiness in this country simply means we are putting in our best as citizens. I don't know what you want from people before you can know they are contributing, you want them to cut their heads?

Great!!! If there is no Nigeria, you wont be doing that business where you are currently doing it lipsrsealed

So tell me who made the country what it is. . . is it not you and I?

Is it not our collective fault when we always look to bribe our ways through everything?
Is it not our collective fault when we are always looking to cut corners?
Is it not our collective fault that everytime anyone is chosen from among us, he/she turns out to be an embezzler?
Is it not our collective fault that we have unwiitingly encouraged the things which have now conspired to bring us to such a sorry state?
Is it not our collective fault that many Nigerians think it is alright to make money ANYHOW/ANYWAY?
Is it not our collective fault that nothing works because we are never able to stand up for what is right?
Is it not our collective fault that we are always quick to call the name of God but never willing to apply the principles of God in our daily lives?
Is it not our collective fault that Nigeria is derided all over the world as we also help to trample her underfoot?

Every great nation was built by PEOPLE. Nigeria is only the name given to a collection of people including you and I so if we say Nigeria is useless, we are actually talking about how useless we are as a people
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by TPS360: 12:27pm On Sep 08, 2008
yes , we nigerians are "generally" unpatriotic, nobody wants to die for the nation or the president, watch airforce 1 and see what I mean, imagine an igbo man jumping to block a bullet from hiting yardua, lol
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by bigboyslim(m): 12:44pm On Sep 08, 2008
I believe patriotism comes with a price. The country must have paid a price to demand that her citizens be patriotic to her. Tell me how I will be patriotic to a country whose government is not alive to its social responsibilities. How will I be patriotic to a country that has continually watched its economic situation move from one level of decadence to another. How will I be proud to associate myself with a Flag that now stands as the global symbol for corruption and 419 e-mail scams. Please, in all honesty, patriotism is the last thing the government should be asking of its citizens at this time. Maybe when we stop practicing gluttony as a system of government and start practicing democracy, I will consider being patriotic.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by dudubobo1: 1:08pm On Sep 08, 2008
bigboyslim:

I believe patriotism comes with a price. The country must have paid a price to demand that her citizens be patriotic to her. Tell me how I will be patriotic to a country whose government is not alive to its social responsibilities. How will I be patriotic to a country that has continually watched its economic situation move from one level of decadence to another. How will I be proud to associate myself with a Flag that now stands as the global symbol for corruption and 419 e-mail scams. Please, in all honesty, patriotism is the last thing the government should be asking of its citizens at this time. Maybe when we stop practicing gluttony as a system of government and start practicing democracy, I will consider being patriotic.

Think about any great country and find out if their forefathers never had to endure hardness before briniging them to their greatness. The problem is that NONE of us is willing to endure hardship in order for the country to get ahead. no one is willing to sacrifice to see the country move forward.

I dont get it. . . No one wants to sacrifice but everyone wants to enjoy. No one wants to sow any seed but everyone wants to reap plentifully: no wonder we are mostly very corrupt and fraudulent
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On Sep 08, 2008
So, the hardship Nigerians currently endure today, in the millions, is what?? If enduring hardship is all it takes to be patriotic, then I say all Nigerians, especially the over 100 million, living today in Nigeria are patriotic Nigerias and deserve a medal each for their hardwork.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by KarmaMod(f): 3:01pm On Sep 08, 2008
The irony is that usually the ones who are unpatriotic are the ones who've been out of the country for like a year or less.

First to defend other countries when it comes to theirs they are also the first to run their mouths yarning dust

It's amusing really. hilariously sad.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by sleekp1: 3:16pm On Sep 08, 2008
What contributions have these unpatriotic Nigerians made? Answer: None
You can't expect Nigeria to be like America when all we do is nothing. Every one has a part to play in Nigeria's development.
Question:
Should Indians be patriotic when they produce more graduates than the whole of Africa and yet one of the poorest nation in the world?
Should any Chinese be patriotic when they cannot harness the millions of graduates each year?

My point is Indians and Chinese are some of the most patriotic people on earth, they never gave up on their country. See how the dividends are paying now in China.
Don't give up on your country for Rome was not built in a day. Their are dynamics that makes us poorer than Malaysia even though we got independence the same year.
Don't always ask what Nigeria can do for you, sometimes ask yourself what you can do for Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by faoni572(m): 3:33pm On Sep 08, 2008
sleek_p:

What contributions have these unpatriotic Nigerians made? Answer: None
You can't expect Nigeria to be like America when all we do is nothing. Every one has a part to play in Nigeria's development.
Question:
Should Indians be patriotic when they produce more graduates than the whole of Africa and yet one of the poorest nation in the world?
Should any Chinese be patriotic when they cannot harness the millions of graduates each year?

My point is Indians and Chinese are some of the most patriotic people on earth, they never gave up on their country. See how the dividends are paying now in China.
Don't give up on your country for Rome was not built in a day. Their are dynamics that makes us poorer than Malaysia even though we got independence the same year.
Don't always ask what Nigeria can do for you, sometimes ask yourself what you can do for Nigeria.

So you mean I should start constructing good roads for myself, producing portable water and generate electricity for people?

Government should simply wake up to their responsibilities. Nigerians are hardworking people and I still don't know what you people means by saying we should contribute to Nigeria. People are working hard already but those at the corridors of powers continue to embezzle and loot treasury .Let the government utilise our money to provides social infrastructures. Environment determine how best you can put in to your country.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by bawomolo(m): 3:37pm On Sep 08, 2008
TPS360:

yes , we nigerians are "generally" unpatriotic, nobody wants to die for the nation or the president, watch airforce 1 and see what I mean, imagine an igbo man jumping to block a bullet from hiting yardua, lol

that's blind patriotism , let's not get sensational here.
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by SkyBlue1: 3:47pm On Sep 08, 2008
Yet again more lip service, Nigeria. A few days ago someone posted on Nairaland about how the former prime minister of Thailand is being dealt with by his people, the former thai prime minister Thaksin skipped bail and fled to England, the current one is already in a legal battle; people in Pakistan are protesting and demanding judgement on the former prime minister of their nation who they all felt cheated them and symbolised corruption, today i was watching on the news about how people in Swaziland, yes oh, Swaziland have been holding protests continuosly against the the traditional ruler of Swaziland who has about 30 wives which he yearly picks from a reeds festival ( a topic that has been discussed on this forum). This "ruler" of Swaziland lives in oppulence while his people suffer in squalor and after yet another private jet apparently the people decided to fight against this so called "culture" of exploitation and corruption. So please someone help me out, when is Nigeria's own turn going to come?

This so called "Giant of Africa" that is the biggest black nation on earth, when are people going to be, in their patriotism led act to take back the country? As has been exhibited on Nairaland time immeasurable, it is even difficult for some to see corruption and call it that without renegading back to ethnic bias and tribalism. So when is all this "patriotism" that makes people scream "naija, naija" going to bear any fruit or ammount to anything more than lip service when it seems the wrong cannot even be condemned while some people throwing such award winning lines like "what have you done for Nigeria"? So looking at all of this does anyone actually see any patriotism in the country? One could write an essay on patriotism but for this case it isn't necessary. Patriotism does not have to come when things are going right or when the country has "done something for you", it seems to me to partly come from a belief in ones country and that belief driving one to act in the best interest of the country. Very soon you will here that guinea republic have chased away their own bad eggs while Nigeria keeps on celebrating corruption and bad leadership and vaunting the Nigerian special brand of patriotism that inspires the people to keep on looking and ignoring atrocities while shouting "up naija" or my favourite "naija for lyfe". Nigeria, the giant of Africa and the biggest black nation on earth  cheesy
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On Sep 08, 2008
roflmao!!!
cheesy grin cheesy grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by bawomolo(m): 3:54pm On Sep 08, 2008
please refrain from kicking the sleeping giant
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by dudubobo1: 4:07pm On Sep 08, 2008
@kobojunkie, I am disappointed in you for that response. Which Nigerians is willing to make tangible and meaningful; sacrifices to see things move forward? Going through hardships as a result of the state of the economy is NO SACRIFICE. That's a situation which they cant do anything about. We need to move beyond that point and start to make changes to our ways which make us the way we are.

Can you tell me the man in an office demanding bribes before fetching files is making any contribution to the growth of the Nation? Now, you tell me how many Nigerians are willing to do what they should do honestly without seeking gratification.

Enduring hardship and making sacrifices are not the same
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by dudubobo1: 4:10pm On Sep 08, 2008
faoni572:

So you mean I should start constructing good roads for myself, producing portable water and generate electricity for people?

Government should simply wake up to their responsibilities. Nigerians are hardworking people and I still don't know what you people means by saying we should contribute to Nigeria. People are working hard already but those at the corridors of powers continue to embezzle and loot treasury .Let the government utilise our money to provides social infrastructures. Environment determine how best you can put in to your country.

The Government is made up of Nigerians and you have just said that Nigerians are hardworking - make your own deductions.

Almost every new politician that has come into the fore has been corrupt. Does that not tell you something about us? Let's look at yourselves before pointing
Re: Are Nigerians Generally Unpatriotic? by dudubobo1: 4:14pm On Sep 08, 2008
@skyblue, I agree with you.

We are either engaged in corruption or always celebrating corrupt people and we blame everyone else for our problems.
Nigerians are patriotic but it's not moving the nation forward because they are not doing the right things to move Nigeria forward

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obasanjo & Gbenga Daniel - Where Did It All Go Wrong? / We Need More Lgas, Not More States - Fashola / ***DEVELOPING: PDP Is Dead! Burial Arrangement Scheduled For 2014 ***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.