Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic (9292 Views)

Unpatriotic Nature Of Nairaland So Called Opposition Crew / Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting / Spreading Rumors That Our President Is Dead Is Unpatriotic And Ungodly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by bittyend(m): 3:45pm On Mar 08, 2012
I will just quote the great Malcom X:

"If a cat has kittens in an oven, they are still kittens and not biscuits."

You may be born in Jupiter and raised in Planet X - but you're still a Nigerian. Let's be patriotic and move this great country to the promised land.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Fhemmmy: 4:21pm On Mar 08, 2012
Patriotism is not same as stupidity . . . .
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Afam4eva(m): 4:26pm On Mar 08, 2012
What's there to be patriotic about? You can't just be patriotic for the fun of it. There must be something fueling that patriotic nature. If i'm correct, you're telling us to be proud of corruption, boko-haram, kidnapping, police brutality, crime and all the ills that's evident in this shit hole people like you love to call country.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Boyoorisha: 4:40pm On Mar 08, 2012
Our leaders does not encourage patrotism!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nobody: 4:40pm On Mar 08, 2012
patriotic indeed?What did I gain from bn patriotic years before now?mtchew!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nayah(f): 4:43pm On Mar 08, 2012
Hi my dear, patriotism doesn't mean saying AMEN to all things even when you know that you're wrong, I can understand we don't talk about embarrasing things in front of the foreigner but you have to ba able to talk about this with your brother
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Skywalker5(m): 4:44pm On Mar 08, 2012
How? When everyone in charge of Nigeria is receiving bribes. How can we? The money needed to provided infrastructure and businesses is either stashed in the saving accounts of politicians or in UK using it to buy houses.

The average Man who wants to do business in Nigeria cant do it because this so called politicians would ask for bribes and shares from the person's company before they approve anything. Common 24 hours electricity we dont have. How can things start to develop without that?

Lots of people i know who have been frustrated in Nigeria due to the government policy of bribe.

Its a tough thing to do unless there is a revolution. This bastards in govt will frustrate any businessman
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by bittyend(m): 4:54pm On Mar 08, 2012
What's there to be patriotic about? You can't just be patriotic for the fun of it. There must be something fueling that patriotic nature. If i'm correct, you're telling us to be proud of corruption, boko-haram, kidnapping, police brutality, crime and all the ills that's evident in this poo hole people like you love to call country.

Hey bruv, your way of thinking is way the country is so messed up. Most of us only care about what Nigeria should do for us - and not what we should do for Nigeria, so that Nigeria can reciprocate that to our children. Just imagine how better off Nigeria would've been if our present crop of leaders were patriotic?? Most of the people ruling us travel around the world and they see what's obtainable over there - but why can't they replicate the same thing in Nigeria?? It's because they're not patriotic and they don't really care about the country. We will never move this country forward with the "me and my family only" mentality - we need to be our brother's keepers, and find the answer to the Nigerian puzzle.

Boko Haram, Kindnapping, Police Brutality, Crime etc. didn't just drop from the sky - all these barbaric things are done by unpatriotic Nigerians.

A lot of Nigerians are quick to say "God bless America" and "The UK is my hometown" - but these countries are what they are today because their citizens are Patriotic. An average English man (not pseudo-British) will always put England before any other country - no matter where they live - and the same goes for the Americans. But the average Nigerian will always switch allegiance, and choose Nigeria when it soothes them. Some are notorious for always talking down on Nigeria e.g babaowo and kobojunkie . These clowns don't see anything good in Nigeria, yet they flood NL everyday to show us how much they really hate Nigeria and Nigerians.

We all need to come together and look for a way to build a Nigeria, we all are going to be proud of - we need to be patriotic and take our beloved country back from the elites that have maimed, killed, destroyed and impoverished us. The time to act is now!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by norrisman: 4:55pm On Mar 08, 2012
Whats the point of this thread?!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by adora4u1: 4:56pm On Mar 08, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Patriotism is not same as stupidity . . . .

GBAM!

afam4eva:

What's there to be patriotic about? You can't just be patriotic for the fun of it. There must be something fueling that patriotic nature. If i'm correct, you're telling us to be proud of corruption, boko-haram, kidnapping, police brutality, crime and all the ills that's evident in this poo hole people like you love to call country.

End of discussion.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by amtheone(m): 4:57pm On Mar 08, 2012
@op

I think we are over-patriotic in this country. Politicians not included.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Fhemmmy: 4:58pm On Mar 08, 2012
How Patriotic are our [size=5pt]looting[/size] loving leaders?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On Mar 08, 2012
bittyend:

Hey bruv, your way of thinking is way the country is so messed up. Most of us only care about what Nigeria should do for us - and not what we should do for Nigeria, so that Nigeria can reciprocate that to our children. Just imagine how better off Nigeria would've been if our present crop of leaders were patriotic?? Most of the people ruling us travel around the world and they see what's obtainable over there - but why can't they replicate the same thing in Nigeria?? It's because they're not patriotic and they don't really care about the country. We will never move this country forward with the "me and my family only" mentality - we need to be our brother's keepers, and find the answer to the Nigerian puzzle.

You can't do anything for a country that doesn't need your help. You can only function in a sane country. How can you help a country that cannot guarantee you electricity, good roads, a crime free society and other very basic social amenities. Please don't compare us to England or America because these countries work.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Fhemmmy: 5:01pm On Mar 08, 2012
afam4eva:

You can't do anything for a country that doesn't need your help. You can only function in a sane country. How can you help a country that cannot guarantee you electricity, good roads, a crime free society and other very basic social amenities. Please don't compare us to England or America because these countries work.

Preach it, Brother . . . What can you do in a nation where the leaders think they know it all and dont wanna list and never listen to anyone.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 08, 2012
How can we be patriotic?

Can you have a dog and not feed it and you want it to serve as a security night watch in terrible hunger, bro you will be its meal if your not careful.

Patriotic to who?
The leaders looting public funds to better their own lives while the people are left with nothing?

Leave patriotism alone.
Chase the paper and when you get it do your best to serve humanity with it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by bittyend(m): 5:09pm On Mar 08, 2012
patriotic indeed?What did I gain from bn patriotic years before now?mtchew!

You don't need to gain something now, but if you stand up for what's right and make a change - your children and generations after them will definitely gain a lot.

Personally, Nigeria has never done zilych for me because I've lived most of my life in London - but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be proud of my country and my rich cultural heritage. That doesn't mean I shouldn't stand for a change with like minded people, and bring the wind of change to Nigeria - so that Nigeria can be a country, others will marvel at - and a country my children will be proud of.  I grew up in London being laughed at, persecuted and attacked in schools in London for being Nigerian - that's worse than what you've been through - but I'm still proud of the country. I grew where you've to claim you're Jamaican for people to rate you in London - being Nigerian was a NO NO.

If this generation don't take a stand, who will?? Trust me, our children will never forgive us - if we continue to plunder this country the way we are doing now. We're all proud of Nnamidi Azikwe, Obafemi Awolowo, Enahoro, Ahmadu Bello and Herbet Macaulay and their struggle for Independence - but if they never took a stand against the Colonialist, would there have been a country called Nigeria? We would have ended up worse than Apartheid South Africa, trust me.

The present generation of leaders ruling us benefited a lot from from Nigeria growing up, but what have they given back? NADA!! They all benefited from Nigeria, yet they are the same people that have destroyed the same country that gave them free education and all the goodies the 60s, 70s and 80s Nigeria had to offer.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by chei: 5:11pm On Mar 08, 2012
Because we cannot really call a country. .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Afam4eva(m): 5:11pm On Mar 08, 2012
bittyend:

You don't need to gain something now, but if you stand up for what's right and make a change - your children and generations after them will definitely gain a lot.

Personally, Nigeria has never done zilych for me because I've lived most of my life in London - but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be proud of my country and my rich cultural heritage. That doesn't mean I shouldn't stand for a change with like minded people, and bring the wind of change to Nigeria - so that Nigeria can be a country, others will marvel at - and a country my children will be proud of.  I grew up in London being laughed at, persecuted and attacked in schools in London for being Nigerian - that's worse than what you've been through - but I'm still proud of the country. I grew where you've to claim you're Jamaican for people to rate you in London - being Nigerian was a NO NO.

If this generation don't take a stand, who will?? Trust me, our children will never forgive us - if we continue to plunder this country the way we are doing now. We're all proud of Nnamidi Azikwe, Obafemi Awolowo, Enahoro, Ahmadu Bello and Herbet Macaulay and their struggle for Independence - but if they never took a stand against the Colonialist, would there have been a country called Nigeria? We would have ended up worse than Apartheid South Africa, trust me.

The present generation of leaders ruling us benefited a lot from from Nigeria growing up, but what have they given back? NADA!! They all benefited from Nigeria, yet they are the same people that have destroyed the same country that gave them free education and all the goodies the 60s, 70s and 80s Nigeria had to offer.

I've been hearing this kind of messages since the 80s and nothing has changed. I definitely won't grow bear bear for Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by bittyend(m): 5:15pm On Mar 08, 2012
How Patriotic are our looting loving leaders?

We can take a stand and make a change!

If African Americans with the civil rights movements, the black panthers, Nation of Islam etc. can do it - yes we can. Their situation was worse than ours with the Jim Crow Laws but they fought with their lives, blood and tears - they took a stand - and racist America was forced to listen to them. These leaders are in the minority and they can't hold us down!!

Like public enemy said: FIGHT THE MUTHAPHUCKING POWER!!

"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything." - Malcolm X

Stand for something; make  a change and stop complaining,
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by bittyend(m): 5:17pm On Mar 08, 2012
Leave patriotism alone.
Chase the paper and when you get it do your best to serve humanity with it.

That's the same individualistic mentality - which breeds corruption.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Arosa(m): 5:17pm On Mar 08, 2012
What do I need to do to be seen as patriotic?  
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Okijajuju1(m): 5:21pm On Mar 08, 2012
bittyend:

[size=18pt]We can take a stand and make a change![/size]

If African Americans with the civil rights movements, the black panthers, Nation of Islam etc. can do it - yes we can. Their situation was worse than ours with the Jim Crow Laws but they fought with their lives, blood and tears - they took a stand - and racist America was forced to listen to them. These leaders are in the minority and they can't hold us down!!

Like public enemy said: FIGHT THE MUTHAPHUCKING POWER!!

"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything." - Malcolm X

Stand for something; make  a change and stop complaining,

The type of stand you and other PATRIOTIC Nigerians took when you staged OCCUPY NIGERIA protest abi?! The same Stand that chickened out at the sight of Army trucks and APC's?!

My Nigga, the truth is that Nigerians are not ready to die for this country. . . If you doubt me, ask Ojukwu. .  The Last man who stood for a course (ABIOLA) died a cold lonely death. .  Nigerians even forgot about his existence. . .

Just live your own, make we live our own. .  Country spoil no be our fault.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by bittyend(m): 5:21pm On Mar 08, 2012
I've been hearing this kind of messages since the 80s and nothing has changed. I definitely won't grow bear bear for Nigeria.

The 80s was a different ball game with the military in power - and the situation in 80s is far better than what it is right now. If we don't take a stand now, Nigeria is going to abyss. The time is now, don't give up, brother.

Malcolm X: "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."

Let's be a "man" - grow some "balls" and free this great nation.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by OAM4J: 5:22pm On Mar 08, 2012
Patriotism include telling ourselves and our leaders the truth.

I am proud of my country, but I will be the 1st to also condemn what is wrong with my country and my leaders with the view of having a change.

If I don't complain and fight for the right thing to be done, who will?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Afam4eva(m): 5:24pm On Mar 08, 2012
bittyend:

The 80s was a different ball game with the military in power - and the situation in 80s is far better than what it is right now. If we don't take a stand now, Nigeria is going to abyss. The time is now, don't give up, brother.

Malcolm X: "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."

Let's be a "man" - grow some "balls" and free this great nation.

You're sounding like Martin Luther. I think they'll appreciate your orating skills over there. This is obodo Nigeria where not even a good orator can save us.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nayah(f): 5:25pm On Mar 08, 2012
OAM4J:

I am proud of my country, but I will be the 1st to also condemn what is wrong with my country and my leaders with the view of having a change.

Exactly
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by bittyend(m): 5:25pm On Mar 08, 2012
What do I need to do to be seen as patriotic?

Start a movement, or do anything you can do to make a change - and stop whining.

Huey Newton and MLK were not as old as some of you guys when they took a stand - yet millions of people are reaping what they fought for, including millions of Nigerians living America.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by overkillR(f): 5:28pm On Mar 08, 2012
Brilliant! You said it all! Until Nigerians learn to be patriotic they should
bittyend:

n't expect any change.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by onila(f): 5:29pm On Mar 08, 2012
we are HERE O smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by bittyend(m): 5:29pm On Mar 08, 2012

Talking alone won't solve the problem because they're not listening - we need to make them listen ( not the boko haram way). Some of us know these leaders, we can start taking the violence to them, and I'm sure if they lose some of their loved ones - they will start listening.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nobody: 5:31pm On Mar 08, 2012
BITTYEND

Lolz if you want to start any revolution you have to come down to Nigeria here to start it.

We understand you were raised in UK so you are just another Nigerian in diaspora.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nayah(f): 5:32pm On Mar 08, 2012
onila:

we are HERE O smiley
lol grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Court Frees Babalakin Over N4.7bn Fraud / Senate Moves To Unbundle NNPC, Passes PIB For Second Reading. / Why Is The "Nepa Certificate" Rule Not Being Extended To Dino?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.