Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,737 members, 7,820,542 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip (127071 Views)

Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards.Tinseltown reviews & Gossip (PT2) / Yoruba Actors And Actresses In Nollywood Are Better? / Websites of Nigerian Actors and Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 3:00pm On Nov 06, 2008
@ Vesc,
I don't get how the role fit him perfectly and yet he's a poor actor. But I get that you're saying he got the Oscar without working too hard for it, that there are actors who consistently give Oscar-worthy performances and are denied, while he got his,like that. I think he was great as Ray. He managed to lose himself in the role, and it was really something to see.One can't take that away from him. But I agree it was too easy. Some magicians labour for years before they get the kind of industry recognition he got with just one great movie role. Sean Penn, Daniel Day Lewis, Denzel Washinton,etc. And many others are still waiting in the wings, churning out great performance after great performance: Don Cheadle, Morgan Freeman, Jonny Depp, Leo Di Caprio, Joaquin Phoenix,etc.

I'm not sure John Malkovitch has ever won an Oscar. It's an outright sin if he didn't get one for Dangerous Liaisons. I know Michelle Pffeifer was denied best supporting actress for that movie, and she should have gotten it, if only for the terrible desperation with which she gives up the fight and throws herself at Malkovitch's mercy. And as far as I'm concerned, denying Sean Penn for his electrifying performance in Dead Man Walking is the greatest Oscar travesty. I was only slighhly mollified when he finally won for Mystic River. And for a less riveting performance,mind you! 

And look at this year's Best Actress winner!
If they decide based exclusively on the nominees's performance in ONE movie,why did they take one look at Norbit and deny Eddie Murphy what he so deserved? Everyone knows he would have won if not for that movie. And if you're looking at aggregate performance,the sum of all the nominee has done, why did Foxx win?
YEYE Oscars.   

@Enaski
You have to say why you admire your choices.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by KarmaMod(f): 10:52pm On Nov 06, 2008
[b]The fact that someone like Morgan Freeman did not get an Oscar for Driving Miss Daisy,and even more incredibly,for his stunning performance in The Shawshank Redemption,[/b]one of my Top Twenty,shows that there is racism and politics, but to mock those po', hardworking coloured uns with a Halle Berry win? E tire me.

No be because of your damn Tom Hanks and his stupid Forrest Gump that Morgan lost  angry

1994's Oscars was a bloody travesty. Not only was Morgan slighted, if they had at LEAST given it to Samuel L Jackson for Pulp Fiction I would have forgiven them but NO, it went to freaking Tom Hanks. I've hated him since  angry

SR is in my top ten. Such a great movie and it stayed true to the book, lol cept MF's character was supposed to be a red-headed irish man. grin

Mystic River - overrated
Crash = bullshit.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 3:45pm On Nov 07, 2008
Shawshank.Sheer magic. I think it was voted Best Picture that never won a Best Picture Oscar.
So Freeman and Gump competed the same year. undecided
Tough one,but I would have to give it to Hanks.
You really think Jackson in Pulp Fiction superseded Hanks in Gump?Karma!
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by KarmaMod(f): 4:47am On Nov 08, 2008
Mad_Max:

You really think Jackson in Pulp Fiction superseded Hanks in Gump?Karma!

Damn straight. PF is a cult classic. FG is so sappy thing old people watch when they wanna feel bad for slow people with bad haircuts tongue

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Royale with Cheese!

grin
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by iice(f): 9:19am On Nov 08, 2008
Ahahahahahah grin grin
Agree with Karma ooo.
Have only watched FG once and that was enough for me. I preferred Philadelphia
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 10:15am On Nov 08, 2008
Are you talking about the movies themselves,in which case I prefer FG, if I cant have both,since they're both freaking good films, or the performances of Jackson and Hanks? The oscar shoulda gone to Hanks and it did. You don't have to like the movie to see what he pulled off there. You're just Royale-ly pissed Jackson didn't get it.
"Hey Bubba.'
'Hey Forrest.'
'Hey Karma.'
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by iice(f): 10:20am On Nov 08, 2008
LOL, don't get me wrong, i love Tom.
That movie i ddn't really like, hence my Philadelphia comment.
His performance in Phil touched me more than FG undecided weird huh?

I just think S.L.Jackson should have gotten an oscar too.
What pains me the most is Depps own angry nevermind that i am biased grin
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 12:16pm On Nov 08, 2008
Really weird. grin But then, it's iice.

Depp. Sorry,ehn. They will still give your man an Oscar one of these days, and it shouldn't be too long,or it would turn from injustice to something else. I hope Depp doesn't measure his talent by whether he gets an Oscar or not. It's great to be recognised with an award,but it's not your fault if the judges are all idiots. He's supremely gifted,and doesn't need an Oscar win to know that. Same for DiCaprio,who keeps surprising me. My jaw dropped when he spoke pidgin in Blood Diamond, and he got the South/East African pidgin accent correct. 

Something to make your heart beat a little faster.

Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by ajah1(f): 1:50pm On Nov 08, 2008
I love Eva Longoria. I started liking her from Desperate Housewives. smiley
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 2:16pm On Nov 08, 2008
He-yahhhh.
I saw her on some wicked website where they'd gotten pictures of Hollywood celebrities without a stitch of make-up on. They got Julia Roberts at a mart, Naomi Watts on the street, so many others. Some looked okay with no make-up. Some looked better with no make up. Longoria looked like a drowned rat. But by far the worst looking without make-up was Julia Roberts.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 3:38pm On Nov 08, 2008
I don't agree with Depp's looks but he seems to be like the most versatile actor ever! The way he eases into roles is amazing, you can hardly believe he's acting. cheesy
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by iice(f): 4:10pm On Nov 08, 2008
rofl max, good one grin grin grin
Yeah i'd love a scene with him kiss kiss

Thanks for the pics, am drooling already grin grin
Not a big fan of Di cappuccino but he sure can act.

Hmmmm what's eating Gilbert Grape, i didn't have eyes for anyone beside johnny in that, had to watch it again before i noticed Di Cappuccino's performance undecided
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 4:22pm On Nov 08, 2008
All the more reason why he's a sublime actor.

@Max, I meant Foxx probably deserved his oscar but that doesn't make him a good actor. Permit me to make an analogy; Two nice guys were walking along a street. A kid abruptly crosses the road and almost got hit by a car. One of the nice guys saves the kid. Daringly too. But that doesn't make him nicer than his friend. It means he just got the opportunity to save the kid and thus everybody applauds the 'savior' and ignore the really nicer guy. Jamie is the 'savior' and all other better actors without an oscar are collectively the nicer but unrecognised, uncelebrated , overlooked guy. I hope I make sense.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by KarmaMod(f): 9:19pm On Nov 08, 2008
Foxx definitely didnt deserve that Oscar.

Blood Diamond was trash
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by Gamine(f): 11:11am On Nov 09, 2008
Anthony Hopkins

As a Villain, as a Hero, as a Washed out Old pevert

Still Adorable.

Still Believable.

Just Wonderful

[size=5pt]lol, i know![/size] tongue
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by iice(f): 2:45pm On Nov 09, 2008
Tilda Swinton
There is just something about the woman undecided
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by KarmaMod(f): 4:17pm On Nov 09, 2008
Is she a woman sef? tongue
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by iice(f): 4:45pm On Nov 09, 2008
angry tongue grin grin
I saw her pic recently, chaii the woman no like make up at all
I like her jare
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 11:00am On Nov 10, 2008
Tilda Swinton should be your "type" shouldn't she eh iice? tongue
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 11:22am On Nov 10, 2008
@iice
First time anyone would say they saw something in her. What's the something,exactly? undecided

@Karma,
So they didn't give Jackson the danged tin man for Pulp Fiction. tongue Get over it already and leave Blood Diamond out of it. Sure the movie's flawed. But DiCaprio's performance was flawless. kiss

Vesc I got what you meant. The guy cannot point to another movie he was terrific in to save his life. And don't nobody say Dreamgirls! Eddy Murphy's was the only real acting there.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by vescucci(m): 1:21pm On Nov 10, 2008
@Max, glad we're on the same wavelength. Tilda is definitely good at what she does. What's up people?
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 9:16am On Nov 11, 2008
Mad_Max:

@iice
First time anyone would say they saw something in her. What's the something,exactly? undecided

Leave Tilda o, I like her. She's unique and artistic and isn't necessarily following the "I must be sexy" bandwagon. She kindda reminds me of Cate Blanchet somehow, don't really know why. They look alike?
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by MadMax1(f): 2:46pm On Nov 11, 2008
Sure. They could be twins. Could be she isn't toeing the I must Be Sexy line 'cause she couldn't be sexy to save her life. I don't know much about her and would have gone on only seeing her from the corner of my eye if she hadn't won the,er,um,oscar.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 3:28pm On Nov 11, 2008
Max,
If Keira Knightley can be sexy, Tilda can be sexy. grin grin
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by Gaminechic: 5:52pm On Nov 11, 2008
Tilda was Artistic as the White Witch.

Thats all i know about her. embarassed
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by iice(f): 2:56am On Nov 12, 2008
Gaminechic:

Tilda was Artistic as the White Witch.

Thats all i know about her. embarassed

She was in adaptation
The Beach
Vanilla sky
You didn't watch Constantine?

She was angel Gabriel grin grin

Yup she's not the sexy type, she sometimes comes across icy but you can see the fire in her eyes.
She's sort of like Helen Carter for me, they tend to pick quirky, weird, artistic roles but still able to play normal almost placid roles very well.

She's also sort of androgynous, which i like tongue
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 9:40am On Nov 12, 2008
@ iice,

What role did Tilda play in Vanilla Sky? I don't remember seeing her there.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by Gaminechic: 9:43am On Nov 12, 2008
im telling ya,

i cant remember her in Vanilla Sky o

i havent watched The Beach

Constantine, well i was vaguely interested

Androgynous, yup! thats the word
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 10:02am On Nov 12, 2008
Androgynous? I don't really agree.

She takes on a lot of androgynous roles probably to be different and rebellious but she does look feminine to me, she doesn't look masculine either. undecided

She doesn't have the usual "up in your face" beauty but I do think she's visually striking. I can't stop seeing her in the same light as Cate Blanchet. . . . Cate takes on a few androgynous (and sometimes completely weird) roles too, would you see her as somewhat masculine?
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by Gaminechic: 11:23am On Nov 12, 2008
I am androgynous. I can look like a boy and a young lady. It isnt about looking masculine wit a hard chiseled face and ten packs.
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by spikedcylinder: 11:42am On Nov 12, 2008
I just read one of her interviews where she referred to herself as androgynous. I will be keeping shut now. . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Hollywood: Favourite Movies, Actors and Awards. Tinseltown reviews & Gossip by Gaminechic: 11:49am On Nov 12, 2008
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100)

Photos: Meet Big Brother Nigeria 2017 Housemates / What Was The Last Movie You Watched - Part 2 / Khalifa Vanithel: Big Brother Cameroon Winner And Her Prize (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.