Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final (12645 Views)

70 Match ban On Player For Referee Head-butt / Zidane's World Cup Head-butt Immortalised In Bronze / Correct Reason For The Head Butt Of Zidane To Marco. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by retro(f): 11:55am On Jul 12, 2006
from Wikipedia,

"Reportedly, the deaf forensic lip-reader Jessica Rees was employed to analyze the video sequences with the help of an Italian translator. According to these reports, Materazzi spoke in Italian - a language understood by Zidane due to his time spent with Juventus F.C. - and first told him: "Hold on, wait, that one's not for a nigger like you." As the players walked forward, Materazzi allegedly said: "We all know you are the son of a terrorist LovePeddler." Then, just before the headbutt, he was seen saying: "So just f**k off." [8] [9] According to Brazilian TV Rede Globo, alip-reader claimed that Materazzi twice called Zidane's sister a prostitute.[10] Earlier claims about Materazzi having called his opponent a "dirty terrorist" have been denied by Materazzi, who reportedly said: "It is absolutely not true, I did not call him a terrorist. I'm ignorant. I don't even know what the word means."

I got this from another forum, I don't know if it's accurate or not.
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by spikedcylinder: 12:04pm On Jul 12, 2006
Here's one view

MARCO Materazzi has admitted he insulted Zinedine Zidane prior to the head-butt which earned the Frenchman a red card in Sunday’s World Cup final.

Zidane lost his cool during extra-time in Berlin and charged at Italy defender Materazzi, butting him in the chest.

Theories have abounded as to what Materazzi might have said to provoke such a response and the former Everton defender concedes he did make an offensive remark.

Materazzi, 32, told Gazetta dello Sport: “I held his shirt for a few seconds only, then he turned to me and talked to me, jeering.

“He looked at me with a huge arrogance and said, `If you really want my shirt I’ll give it to you afterwards’. I replied with an insult, that’s true.”

Materazzi has not elaborated on what he did say, but one report suggested he responded with: ‘I’d rather take the shirt off your wife’.

He has denied, however, some of the more vile insults referring to his wife or sister or calling him a terrorist. “It was one of those insults you’re told dozens of times and that you often let fall on a pitch,” Materazzi said.

“I did not call him a terrorist. I am not a cultured person and I don’t even know what as Islamist terrorist is.’ He added: “For me the mother is sacred, you know that.”

The incident marked an unsavoury end to Zidane’s career, especially as France went on to lose the match on penalties. The 34-year-old had said he would retire after the tournament.

Zidane himself is yet to speak on the incident but his agent on Monday claimed the reaction was due to a ‘very serious’ comment.

Suggestions that Materazzi’s remarks may have been vile or racist in nature have raised the issue of whether he should face some sort of retrospective action himself.

Tournament organiser, FIFA, has given no indication it might pursue such a line but English referees chief, Keith Hackett, sees no reason why such a principle should not be established.

Hackett told BBC Radio Five Live: “They are reluctant to take action after the game but here is a situation where, if there is proof, for the good of the game, action should be taken.

“I am pleased the Football Association, in May, wrote a circular to all clubs, through the PFA and LMA, reminding everyone that racist remarks constitute a sending-off offence.”

http://www.tribune.com.ng/12072006/sports1.html
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by spikedcylinder: 12:12pm On Jul 12, 2006
I wanted France to win real bad too,it was like it was Nigeria playing,i was so nervous.
Trezeguet didnt do anything!We all know that penality shoot outs depend entirely on luck!
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by goodguy(m): 1:49pm On Jul 12, 2006
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by Jackal(m): 2:22pm On Jul 12, 2006
Zinedine Zidane may be stripped of the Golden Ball award because of his infamous headbutt in sunday's world cup final.
FIFA Boss, Sepp Blatter said this decison will be made after a probe into the incident.
There has been wide speculation since about what Italian Defender,Marco Materazzi said to the French captain before the incident.
It has been reported he called the Algerian-born star the "son of a terrorist LovePeddler".

Meanwhile, Zidane's mum, Malika Zidane praised her son for his actions on the pitch.
She claimed she was disgusted at the alleged abuse her son received from Materazzi. She told reporters her son was just protecting her honour in sunday's final
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by mukina2: 2:36pm On Jul 12, 2006
Fifa cant do that
instead they shud fine materazzi
it works both ways zizou didnt butt hin for no reason
if that wat was he said he deserves more than a butt
the slowpoke,idiot,fool angry angry angry angry angry

go zizou next time kick him where lipsrsealed uh well, tongue
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by goodguy(m): 2:48pm On Jul 12, 2006
Zidane's Head Butt, What Do You Say?

I say, check this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-17660.0.html

grin grin grin
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by Izzo(m): 3:28pm On Jul 12, 2006
I don't think he should be stripped off the award he deserves, and by the way he won the World Cup Golden Ball award.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=373632&cc=5901
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by Grizzly(m): 4:08pm On Jul 12, 2006
Thats a bunch of real craaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!
why did they give it to him in the first place?! huh
when i say crap, i dont mean they cant do that, what i mean is that they should not have given it to him in the first place,
didnt thy see the headbutt before they gave him the award,
Phuck both Zizou and FIFA, cool
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by bolaoni(m): 4:16pm On Jul 12, 2006
@Grizz,

Thats the same question I am asking o.

All arguments given in support of giving Zizou the award in the first place is baseless.

the people at FIFA should continue to make themselves laughin stock. angry
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by Grizzly(m): 4:24pm On Jul 12, 2006
@bolaoni
Men this topic got me real mad,
maybe sepp is getting too old angry angry cool
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by bolaoni(m): 4:29pm On Jul 12, 2006
Maybe Baba Sepp went to the gents while that was happening cool

Or is it even the whole of FIFA's executives

The BIGGEST Hipocrisy of this millenium.

Won't be surprised if he is given the World Footballer of the year sef
sad sad
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by pearlrocks(m): 4:44pm On Jul 12, 2006
@ Rottweiler
You embarrass me, you embarrass yourself, you embarrass every black person who is labelled a nigger, every arab who is labelled a terrorist, every asian who is labelled a chink and every non-caucasian in the west who has to put up with prejudice and abuse as a result of their skin colour or their ethnic origin. and while we're at it every nigerian who is labelled corrupt.
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by Jackal(m): 5:51pm On Jul 12, 2006
@ Bolaoni,

FIFA had already awarded Zidane the golden ball before the incident.
They already made up their mind to give it to Zidane during the half-time break before Zizou decked Materazzi 70 mins later.
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by retro(f): 5:56pm On Jul 12, 2006
pearlrocks:

@ Rottweiler
You embarrass me, you embarrass yourself, you embarrass every black person who is labelled a nigger, every arab who is labelled a terrorist, every asian who is labelled a chink and every non-caucasian in the west who has to put up with prejudice and abuse as a result of their skin colour or their ethnic origin. and while we're at it every nigerian who is labelled corrupt.

He also embarrasses every White person who's labelled a cracker.

Anyways, at first, I was like 'Wtf? Zidane acted like an Arab there' because I was sort of brainwashed by my dad but come to think of it, the Italian DESERVED the head butting, if not more.
Bleep that Italian!
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by mochafella(m): 5:59pm On Jul 12, 2006
Is there a source for this story?
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by Raymand(m): 7:41pm On Jul 12, 2006
i think what zidane did was wrong, he should have slapped the italian fool! grin
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by chinesedoll(f): 11:05pm On Jul 12, 2006
Zisu why did u give him only headbutt
why u no commot teeth, Those people
that are critisizing d guy shld leave him jare
that italian guy must have said smt that really annoyed
Zidane:
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by pearlrocks(m): 11:28pm On Jul 12, 2006
@ Rottweiler
You embarrass me, you embarrass yourself, you embarrass every black person who is labelled a nigger, every Arab who is labelled a terrorist, every Asian who is labelled a chink and every non-Caucasian in the west who has to put up with prejudice and abuse as a result of their skin colour or their ethnic origin. And while we're at it every Nigerian who is labelled corrupt

check out the latest info on the issue at hand:

Legend Zizou breaks his silence
Zinedine Zidane has elaborated on the chain of events which led to his attack on Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final.

The midfield genius brought the curtain down on one of the world's great careers when seeing red for a headbutt on Materazzi.

Numerous reports have commented on what led Zidane to launch his attack on the Italian defender and the France star has claimed Materazzi insulted both his mother and his sister.

"He (Materazzi) pulled on my shirt several times and I told him that we could swap shirts at the end of the game if he wanted to," Zidane said in a live interview on French television channel Canal Plus.

"He then pronounced very tough words, words that hurt me deeply, words about my mother and my sister. At first, I tried not to listen to him but he kept repeating them,

"I knew it was my last game and I knew there were only 10 minutes to play but things happened very swiftly.

"I am a man before anything else.

"I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that."

Zidane had kept his own counsel on Sunday's events prior to his interview on French television and he has apologised for his actions - but still feels Materazzi was the guilty party.

"I apologise to all the children who watched the match on Sunday. This was not something to do. I want to make it clear because it was watched by two billion people and by millions of kids," Zidane said.

"I want to apologise to them but I can't regret what I did because it would mean that he (Materazzi) was right to say what he said."

Zidane felt referee Horacio Elizondo was correct to send him off.

"Afterwards I explained to the referee that I had been provoked, but my behaviour is not forgivable," Zidane said.

Zidane said that he would seek to defend himself at an upcoming Fifa hearing.

"I will go and I will tell everything I have just said," he added.

"The reaction is always punished but if there is no provocation there is no reaction. The guilty person is the one who provokes.

"If I reacted that way, it is because something bad happened. Do you really believe that 10 minutes before the end of my career I would be able to make such a bad gesture? The provocation was very serious."

Some had suggested Zidane may reconsider his decision to retire so as not to end his career on such a low note, but the midfield superstar says there will no comeback.

"This is a decision I have made and I will not go back on it," he said. "This is definite. I will not play again."
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by shotta(m): 11:33pm On Jul 12, 2006
all hail zidane once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by texazzpete(m): 12:07am On Jul 13, 2006
bolaoni:

@Grizz,

Thats the same question I am asking o.

All arguments given in support of giving Zizou the award in the first place is baseless.

the people at FIFA should continue to make themselves laughin stock. angry
bolaoni:

Maybe Baba Sepp went to the gents while that was happening cool

Or is it even the whole of FIFA's executives

The BIGGEST Hipocrisy of this millenium.

Won't be surprised if he is given the World Footballer of the year sef
sad sad

If u had done a little reading before lettign out so much hot air, you'd have found out that the Golden ball award is awarded by the media. Just like the world fottballer of the year award is decided by coaches et al, FIFA does not carry out any selection process.

The truth is, reports of an opinion poll shows that 71% of frenchmen forgive zidane. his country owes a lot to him. he's been the best footballer since maradona, and th whole world owes a lot to him. Only in Nigeria, the land of the self-righteous and most holy do people gripe about such things.

here's the outcome as it will happen; i can bet YOUR left testicle that FIFA will not strip him of the award. In the long run we will thank Zidane, because a fall out of this will be sanctions against provoking another player on the field.

george best became an alcoholic. see how they honored him when he died.
maradona a cocaine addict. guess who's the idol for most argentine players growing up? Who does lionel messi look up to?

What zidane did was not right, even if he was pushed to it. it's a disgrace. BUt by far the bigger disgrace is when people who will never achieve the mastery in their chosen fields that Zizou achieved try and let a moment of madness destroy over a decade of magic.
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by texazzpete(m): 12:09am On Jul 13, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2slJ9CBnk0&search=zidane%20a

watch the incident from a better angle. witness how many times matarazzi insults him. thrice!

compare the video with the evience matarazzi gave on www.soccernet.com
so, who's the liar?
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by Jackal(m): 2:15am On Jul 13, 2006
@ Mochafella,

Of course there's a source to this story.

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.aspx?hlid=402519&CPID=4&clid=368&lid=2&title=Blatter:+Zizou+may+lose+award

Copy this link to ur browser and read the full gists.
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by c0dec(m): 8:30am On Jul 13, 2006
zidane is the man but the guy for no headbutt am. he has his own mouth too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnXhplwD1m0
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by chidichris(m): 11:03am On Jul 13, 2006
the italian player was wise in his direction because he wouldn't have done what he did to the five african countries in the world cup and the experience will not go away from him.
if there is anything i don't like it is that zidane failed to give him a lasting mark.
they are turning the football pitch to an insulting ground to all black players and somebody has to stop them either in peace or the other way round.
whatsoever he told zidane was an insult which he himself has confirmed so i want to believe that the next time he will insult a player, he will make sure it will not have to relate a black.
papa zidane, you are my hero and a ,mandela in the field of play.
you have drop a warning signal and i urge all other players to continue in the same manner since the peaceful massage is not working out.
at least fifa observe how aggresive the blacks have become over this issues of insults, they will be forced to put more harsh laws on the mother fuckers.
in conclusion, all those who are against zidane's behaviour will do more if they were in his shoes.
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by MP007(m): 8:53pm On Jul 13, 2006
the dude was frustrated and at the same time pissed off,
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by Badman888(m): 9:16pm On Jul 13, 2006
zidane headbutt game

www.widelec.org/zidane.html
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by Grizzly(m): 10:23pm On Jul 13, 2006
yeah wha' ever,
he's apologised. cool
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by bolaoni(m): 11:40am On Jul 14, 2006
texazzpete:

If u had done a little reading before lettign out so much hot air, you'd have found out that the Golden ball award is awarded by the media. Just like the world fottballer of the year award is decided by coaches et al, FIFA does not carry out any selection process.

The truth is, reports of an opinion poll shows that 71% of frenchmen forgive zidane. his country owes a lot to him. he's been the best footballer since maradona, and th whole world owes a lot to him. Only in Nigeria, the land of the self-righteous and most holy do people gripe about such things.

here's the outcome as it will happen; i can bet YOUR left testicle that FIFA will not strip him of the award. In the long run we will thank Zidane, because a fall out of this will be sanctions against provoking another player on the field.

george best became an alcoholic. see how they honored him when he died.
maradona a cocaine addict. guess who's the idol for most argentine players growing up? Who does lionel messi look up to?

What zidane did was not right, even if he was pushed to it. it's a disgrace. BUt by far the bigger disgrace is when people who will never achieve the mastery in their chosen fields that Zizou achieved try and let a moment of madness destroy over a decade of magic.

Chief,

I am not concerned whether FIFA awards the MVP or not, I am also not concerned about the aftermath effect of Zizou's action. What we are all saying is that IT IS WRONG!

You need not attack me PLEASE I'm only expressing my opinion. It is people like you that will say because a politician has tried while in office, he must soil his name because he is about to live. sad

texazzpete:

BUt by far the bigger disgrace is when people who will never achieve the mastery in their chosen fields that Zizou achieved try and let a moment of madness destroy over a decade of magic.

Zizou has chosen to be a footballer and good for him he achieved some mastery, but NEVER thought other won't achieve such mastery in their own chosen field. I have chosen my own field and God is helping me as well. I won't ever critisize Zidane for all he has has achieved on the field of play, but my people use to say "Oun ti o da, ko loruko meji; KODA NI!" You need not give a bad issue any form of coloration, IT IS BAD!

Zizou is a legend and he won't stop being one!
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by Akolawole(m): 3:13pm On Jul 14, 2006
@Everyone

Can Grizzly remove that headbutting picture once and for all?

That shouldnt be a good signature i beg. i hate seeing it.

I have read what members have said on this subject.

I am a Zidanne Fan definitely not a fanatic(Apology Lordimpaq).

Some says he call him a Terrorist but Zidanne says the italian insults his Mum and Sister.

I like Zidane and i can confirm that he is the best player in the last 10 years but i condemn his act with passion.

He has attitude problem, he didnt use his head well.

Can somebody remind me what he does each time he was sustituted?

Can somebody remind me why he got a Red card against Saudi arabia in 1998?

Now everybody had forgotten the fact that Vieria was the one that lift the team in the match against Togo else they wouldnt have qualified for the second round.

In 1994 World cup, Unimpressive Yekini was substituted for okocha in our match against Greece, he just went to the tunnel(Dressing room) straight without even welcoming the wonder boy to the field. I was devastated even though i am a big fan of Yekini.

I happen to meet Rashidi Yekini at Adamasingba stadium months after the competition and i told him how dissapointed i was when he did that. Speaking to me in Yoruba via his Hausa intonation, he regretted the action though he said he had nothing against Jay-jay, he explained himself and told me few things that happen in our camp then.

We must not be a Zidane fanatic but fan.
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by bolaoni(m): 3:18pm On Jul 14, 2006
Akola baba,

God go bless you plenty o. This just summarises everything about this issue.

kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Zidane's Head Butt In World Cup 2006 Final by mukina2: 6:36pm On Jul 14, 2006
grizz yeah take it off will you? angry angry angry angry angry

@grizz he didnt apologise to the mafia materazzi o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

LMC Clarifies Timing In Katsina United Vs Remo Stars Match / Managers Who Are Nice End Up As Puppets- Mourinho / 12 African Coaches Who Won AFCON

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.