Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,160 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

A Cure For Malaria? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Cure For Malaria? (26596 Views)

Cancer Drugs A Cure For HIV – Says Researchers / A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? / The Best Drug For Malaria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Cure For Malaria? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 25, 2006
It's just the usual white attitude to everything african. Turn africa into a frightening spectre of malaria-induced death and destruction.
There are thousands of OTC drugs to cure malaria, i doubt if there could ever have been a vaccine to make you completely immune, in fact you dont need it. People are dying of malaria not because it is such a bad disease but because of poverty, lack of good drugs and adequate health care facilities, the problem of fake drugs, illiteracy and all.

Malarai can be eradicated if the government had the political will, it all takes dedicated effort to completely eliminate the parasites (mosquitoes), it has been done in other countries and it can be done here.

Stop all these my teacher said my teacher said, you are african and should know better, it is high time we africans stood up for our continent and stop allowiing these half baked idjits who have never been outside their own countries to force feed us nonsense. How can your teacher know more than your parents about malaria? Simply being white does not give you the monopoly of knowledge. Kids wake up and speak for your continent!

I cant imagine sitting thru that your biology class and taking half the crap that man is pouring down your head, i'd have corrected him ASAP! what about west nile virus and other more deadly viruses that they have here? Have they found cures for that one? Let them start from there first before they tell us about malaria again. and i dont buy that crap that millions are dying due to malaria, let our govts wake up to their responsibilities and things would be better!
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by soulpatrol(f): 7:00pm On Jul 25, 2006
emmm, long discussion but true  cool im sick and tired of the way westerners think that its only in Africa you have all these killer diseases. what about cancer, diabetes, herpes, west nile virus, obesity and all that rubbish thats killing their people. and since when did all deadly diseases come from Africa? everytime AIDS is mentioned in a discussion, people automatically think the African knows what they are talking about and can relate. shuo! malaria is something we deal with all the time and can cure with the proper drugs, why act like its some kind of plague. behave yourself!
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by hotangel2(f): 9:41pm On Jul 25, 2006
In America and maybe canada. They make malaria seem like "AIDS". Daing!! Everyone gets malaria, use antibiotics. There's a cure for malaria. Infact there are SOOOO many cures for malaria.

The way they talk about malaria here is like. . . Urghhh! Antibiotics cure malaria. Pfizer was the best back then. As in the company. I dunno if it still is.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by superman(m): 10:15pm On Jul 25, 2006
who said there arent no cure for this "imewuuuuuuuu" but there is a problem ? u wana know ok i will tell u! u see how clever 419 boys are in this modern age, if one door is shut guess what they go through the next door. just like terroist i mean alceda fellows.

so in the term of biological studies mosquitoes keep developin high resistance to any drugs perscribe as time goes on due to the presence of the deadly mosquito parasite in the blood(VERY STUBORN MOSQUITOES) of the victim hence need to keep updatin the drugs which aint easy neither.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 1:40am On Jul 26, 2006
@goodguy
ur welcome kiss
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by kabiyesi(m): 5:30am On Jul 26, 2006
I hope none of you buys the "myth" that there're no mosquitoes, abroad. Mosquitoes are prevalent anywhere that's wet, even in the Artic Circle in summertime. Malaria in US, is called the "West Nile".
There is no prescription out there that cures any disease. It only suppresses the symptoms. The more medication you take, the more resistant the virus becomes and your dear "liver" is on the line - liver disease.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 5:57am On Jul 26, 2006
@ kabiyesi
angry

dont come here spouting half truths
this is the internet age
go do your research
or better yet go look at your biology textbook
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by kabiyesi(m): 6:25am On Jul 26, 2006
@gigitte - What's half-truth? Explain. A Scientist that tells you he has a cure to any disease, is just a business man. I repeat, there is no prescription that cures any disease, only suppresses the symptoms. You feel better as soon as the virus is suppressed, but the virus lays dormant and can be triggered again.
Why're you so surprised? Phamaceutical Industry is a multi-billion dollar business. They'll never tell you these facts, 'cos they're in business to make Kudi first and foremost.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 6:32am On Jul 26, 2006
we are talking about malaria here not 'all diseases'
a cure could mean different things for different diseases
i agree with u that a huge lot of viral infections cannot be cured, but only have signs and symptoms suppressed
malaria is not caused by a virus so what u said doesnt apply
and malaria does have a cure

i know pharma companies could be satan in disguise, but im a not a fool, i do my own research
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by kabiyesi(m): 6:57am On Jul 26, 2006
Virus causes fever. Do research on Virus Replication.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 7:06am On Jul 26, 2006
viruses are far from being the only thing have fever as a symptom
a fever is simply a sign that something is wrong
malaria is caused by plasmodium a one celled parasitic protozoan not a virus.

i see you are not interested in knowledge
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by kabiyesi(m): 7:53am On Jul 26, 2006
Fever indicates that your immune system is fighting off foreign invaders. How does it know?
Its protein coating is different from that of the invaders.

What you need to learn is how to build-up your immune system. Ask the Chinese and the other Asians. They use herbs. You know what we call Agbo? It builds-up your immune systems to fight foreign invaders, resulting in Apoptosis - programmed cell death.

We've being conditioned to believe that prescription is cure all, ignoring its side-effects.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 8:27am On Jul 26, 2006
whatever cool
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:31am On Jul 26, 2006
IM LOST. Damn future scientist tongue tongue tongue
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 8:53am On Jul 26, 2006
hiya josboy
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:26pm On Jul 26, 2006
Hey beautiful kiss kiss, Can you break down what kabi was talking about in lamens terms
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by my2cents(m): 3:31am On Jul 27, 2006
Cure for malaria range from the extreme (DDT application - tried in India but it was later discovered that the population of rats increased. Turns out the mosquitoes also helped kill off rats. Thus there was an imbalance of nature and mosquitos had to be imported from Africa to restore the balance shocked), to the mild (Fansidar, injections, etc).

I read in some magazine a week ago that since malaria is endemic to sub-saharan africa in particular, the best that can be done is based on an experiment presently carried out in Mozambique - note the weather conditions prior to a major outbreak. That way, when the weather pattern repeats itself, more drugs can be readily available.

Sorry folks, but as the magazine also said, at any given time, there is at least 1 person carrying the malaria parasite in them, so a total cure isn't possible. I do think though that a cure is out there but cos these pharmaceuticals are making a killing off of us, such a cure will not be pursued grin

1 Like

Re: A Cure For Malaria? by Nobody: 3:33am On Jul 27, 2006
had malaria like 5million times, the drugs n those painful shots that kills ur ass n leg are basically the cure lol.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:07am On Jul 27, 2006
I love the shots in the butt grin grin grin
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by Nobody: 4:08am On Jul 27, 2006
shocked weirdo
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by soulpatrol(f): 1:49pm On Jul 27, 2006
yeah, weirdo! i used to run away from getting those shots aka injections! God help you if they do it wrongly and you end up with an abcess or a bigger ass than what you came in with! them nurses were mean biotches!!!! 
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by smilingjee(m): 4:59pm On Sep 21, 2006
have u guys been biting by those mosquitoes in Agege or Ajegunle?

Cure for Malaria [center][/center]

An Indian was lost in the jungles of the Andes. He was burning with fever from malaria. He stumbled upon a pool of water. Raging with fever, he threw himself down at the edge to satisfy his thirst. He did notice that the bark of the cinchona tree nearby had fallen into the water . It was believed that the tree was poisonous. But the poor man was so thirsty that he set aside these worries and drank the water.
Much to his surprise, he did not die but found his strength returning. He even managed to return to his village and he recovered fully.
A cure for malaria was thus born. The cinchona tree, also known as quina quina, gives the drug quinine, which has been used for the cure of malaria ever since.
The tree was renamed by the Swedish botanist Linnaeus in 1742 in honour of the the Countess of Chinchon, wife of the Viceroy of Peru who was reputed to be the first European to use an extract of bark to cure her of malaria.

Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:23pm On Sep 21, 2006
Interesting smilingjee, do you have any sources??
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by soulpatrol(f): 4:29am On Sep 22, 2006
yes o, sources please, before someone goes and decides to throw themself in cinchona juice grin
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 9:44pm On Sep 22, 2006
josboy, wetin shele to our budding friendship
i don vex oh
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:03pm On Sep 22, 2006
My bad, but you know its not my fault
okay it kinda is, i was being a badboy, like all josboys are, and Mr. Admin Ban me
How school now, my Future Scientist?
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 11:12pm On Sep 22, 2006
lol school just dey, im doing homework now. make i shut up before seun comes after me
u know he has a thing for me now
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:15pm On Sep 22, 2006
Well who could blame him, you are fine looking specimen (tryna sound scientific for you)
Im also do Homework on friday evening, can you feel the geek-to-nerd connection grin grin
This accounting is giving me a headache, FIFO, LIFO dahhhhhhh
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 11:18pm On Sep 22, 2006
lol josboy i feel like a mosquito in a biology lab but thks hun lol
im really nerdy hehe.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by smilingjee(m): 12:48pm On Sep 23, 2006
the link below is a reliable source

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-cinchona.html
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by smilingjee(m): 12:59pm On Sep 23, 2006
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:20pm On Sep 23, 2006
cool thanx man cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

77% Of Black Doctors In Us Are Nigerians –reps’ Committee / Tingling/Burning Sensation On My Pubic Area / 18 Ways Your Phone Is Ruining Your Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.