Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

'Sowing In The Word' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 'Sowing In The Word' (2882 Views)

Memo To Desperate Single Nigerian Women: Stop Sowing Seeds For Husbands! / How Seed Sowing Is Tearing Marriages Apart In Christ Embassy / Should Money From Sowing Of The Seed Go To Pastors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Sowing In The Word' by DeepZone: 6:04am On Sep 29, 2008
I went to Christ embassy yesterday for Sunday service and it was nice but there is some religious practice they do there that baffles me. It's called sowing in the word. Sowing in the word literally means that when a pastor makes a statement that really touched you, you can walk towards the pulpit with a check/money enclosed in an envelope. This is different from your tithe or normal Sunday collection. The person that invited me told me that it's not compulsory like the tithe but it's in appreciation for the way that particular comment from the pastor inspired you.

Have you heard of this practice before please? Is it biblical?
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by davidylan4(m): 6:07am On Sep 29, 2008
If Christ had adopted this financial strategy He'd have been a very rich man.
These CEOs (pastors) need to be in charge of our economy, we'd be a world power in 4yrs.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by affee(f): 7:26am On Sep 29, 2008
DZ
it is not done only in christ embassy
when the man of God says a word that moves you in the spirit, you sow whatever you have
IT NOT COMPULSORY OO
it was not instituted by my pastor, it just started on it's own.
I have seen people that dont have money sow their wristwatches or anyother thing

and in the tradition of my church such items
money-is put back into the church treasury
other items- are kept in the church store and disbursed to those that are in need of such items

it is not found anywhere in the bible
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by AKO1(m): 10:14am On Sep 29, 2008
It is not scriptural

It is not biblical

And it is not compulsory.

So let every man follow the dictates of their hearts

And face the consequences.

affee:

DZ

DZ it is on that basis I changed the title.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by olabowale(m): 2:48pm On Sep 29, 2008
@Davidylan: « #1 on: Today at 06:07:39 AM »

If Christ had adopted this financial strategy He'D have been a very rich man.
These CEOs (pastors) need to be in charge of our economy, we'D be a world power in 4yrs.

Madam sectere, the Obanta delegates, and I Olabowale the represenattive, nominated our own son of the soil, Davidylan for the post!

@affee (f): « #2 on: Today at 07:26:28 AM »

DZ
when the man of God says a word that moves you in the spirit, you sow whatever you have
IT NOT COMPULSORY OO
I have seen people that don't have money sow their wristwatches or anyother thing

other items- are kept in the church store and disbursed to those that are in need of such items

That is not only thing. If we apply this thought, above, as you have presented it, to what is not found in the Bible, Trinity will be upside down, even more than it is, now. And is there a Christ Embassy church in USA?

Ajiah, since you called me mallam. lol.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by DeepZone: 3:47pm On Sep 29, 2008
DZ
IT NOT COMPULSORY OO
I have seen people that don't have money sow their wristwatches or anyother thing

I know but that culture originated from Nigeria because I've never heard of it in American churches. What happened to " do not let your right hand know what your left hand is doing"? It's like walking towards the pulpit now with an envelope is the in thing. This lady went up there up to 5x and I was tempted to ask her to just sit down and bundle whatever she wants to give to God into one trip. Common!!
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by dudubobo1: 3:52pm On Sep 29, 2008
this is the first time I am hearing this shocked

My people perish for a lack of knowledge.

Is there any scriptural basis for this "sowing in the word" type of collection?
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by pilgrim1(f): 3:54pm On Sep 29, 2008
Hi @DZ (mind if I call you that sometimes?), smiley

DeepZone:

I know but that culture originated from Nigeria because I've never heard of it in American churches.

Well, that is news to me. . . although I cannot categorically say where I first noticed it. I once watched a service in progress and people just kept going to drop stuff at the pulpit so much so that to a casual observer it seemed to be a market place.

There are so many cultures that have crept into almost every religion in the world today. You name them and you will find sects, denominations, factions, and coteries in almost all of them. Our church is not the best, but one thing I so enjoy there is that the leaders ill not encourage anything that they cannot find in Scripture; yet, they encourage the members to not overwhelm other groups with what we believe.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by DeepZone: 3:57pm On Sep 29, 2008
If Christ had adopted this financial strategy He'D have been a very rich man.
These CEOs (pastors) need to be in charge of our economy, we'D be a world power in 4yrs.

grin grin grin
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by DeepZone: 3:59pm On Sep 29, 2008
@Pilgrim and Dudubobo, at least you guys did read Affee and AKO confirm it as a new age culture proliferating in our churches today. yesterday was the first time I saw that in my life.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by dudubobo1: 4:00pm On Sep 29, 2008
DeepZone:

@Pilgrim and Dudubobo, at least you guys did read Affee and AKO confirm it as a new age culture proliferating in our churches today. yesterday was the first time I saw that in my life.

it couldn't have been a biblical culture
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by plusQueen: 4:02pm On Sep 29, 2008
dudu-bobo:

this is the first time I am hearing this shocked

My people perish for a lack of knowledge.

Is there any scriptural basis for this "sowing in the word" type of collection?

In my opinion,there's actually nothing with sowing.
You reap when you sow,that is scripture.
The only thing I wonder is how distracting this must be for people to walk up to the altar so many times to do this.
It doesn't sound like a good idea.
They could have a collection box at the back where people could put in whatever they have on the way out if the message of the day touched them.
The way this sonds,some people may just walk up to be noticed.
Secondly this introduces carnality where the pastor may be noting those that walk up so often
and his head may swell up when people keep walking up.
so in any sermon where no one walks up,people where not blessed?
There's a better way to do this.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by pilgrim1(f): 4:02pm On Sep 29, 2008
dudu-bobo:

That's the point DeepZone was making in his reply to us. wink
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by pilgrim1(f): 4:04pm On Sep 29, 2008
plus_Queen:

The only thing I wonder is how distracting this must be for people to walk up to the altar so many times to do this.
They could have a collection box at the back where people could put in whatever they have on the way out if the message of the day touched them.
Secondly this introduces carnality where the pastor may be noting those that walk up so often

Gbam! Well done - good sense! grin
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by DeepZone: 4:06pm On Sep 29, 2008

I also noticed that 99% of people that walked up the altar were women. It was so distracting and annoying.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by pilgrim1(f): 4:13pm On Sep 29, 2008
DeepZone:

I also noticed that 99% of people that walked up the altar were women. It was so distracting and annoying.

Wetin naw! angry angry You wan buy market? Abi na only our specie you dey see wey dey waka go the stage? cheesy grin
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by jennykadri: 4:14pm On Sep 29, 2008
@topic

its not a new thingy now undecided  even wen i travelled down to nigeria,a lot of churches engage themselves  wt it

its not compulsory,but like they said,maybe d pastor might say sthg dat touched ur heart,u wont even know wen u'd give d little u have.if d man is using for himself na him sabi,but i was told its used for charity and also in the church undecided

ive done it b4 lipsrsealed

@pilgrim

how body? kiss
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by Gamine(f): 4:16pm On Sep 29, 2008
hahaha grin

At it again

Just passed the Tv, im hearing Day of Atonement thingy thingy

which one be Day of Atonement blessing again, seven for that marra  
undecided
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by pilgrim1(f): 4:17pm On Sep 29, 2008
jennykadri:

@pilgrim

how body? kiss

My sister, I dey! Still enjoying the grace of God over my life. U nko? cheesy
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by plusQueen: 4:20pm On Sep 29, 2008
dudu-bobo:

Remember the Bible tells  and encourages us to give and there are  various examples of how the disciples gave but no set rules how to give.
So it's not very correct for us to say what is Biblical culture and what's not in terms of giving.
Giving is giving.
I would rather categorize this method into disorderliness.
Our God is a God of order that was why he went as far as instructing  through St Paul that women not speak in church and ask their husbands at home.
Only God knows how noisy these Corinthian women must have been grin to attract such a stern warning.

Remember Ananias and Saphirah where the church sold all the had and put the money into a common purse,we have an example ,should we now say this is the way for Christians to live.
The only prolem I have is the walking up and down in a service, it is very distracting and disorderly.
I would not be in  Church that does this sort of thing.
I want to sit and be ministered to without people walking around.
My own pastor actually forbids people from walking around during sermon and I've heard of many pastors who do same.
Unless one has an incompetent bladder, I see no reason for grown adults walking around when most sermons here in the USA are just about 1 hr.
And walking around to give an offering is no different.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by HRhotness(f): 4:22pm On Sep 29, 2008
Sowing d word?  shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by DeepZone: 4:22pm On Sep 29, 2008
hahaha Grin

At it again

Just passed the Tv, I'm hearing Day of Atonement thingy thingy

which one be Day of Atonement blessing again, seven for that marra

roflmao grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by jennykadri: 4:24pm On Sep 29, 2008
pilgrim.1:

My sister, I dey! Still enjoying the grace of God over my life. U nko? cheesy

over enjoying don kill me here,from one blessing to the other

i dey jare,just come back from work
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by DeepZone: 4:45pm On Sep 29, 2008

Remember the Bible tells and encourages us to give and there are various examples of how the disciples gave but no set rules how to give.
So it's not very correct for us to say what is Biblical culture and what's not in terms of giving.
Giving is giving.
I would rather categorize this method into disorderliness.
Our God is a God of order that was why he went as far as instructing through St Paul that women not speak in church and ask their husbands at home.
Only God knows how noisy these Corinthian women must have been Grin to attract such a stern warning.

Remember Ananias and Saphirah where the church sold all the had and put the money into a common purse,we have an example ,should we now say this is the way for Christians to live.
The only prolem I have is the walking up and down in a service, it is very distracting and disorderly.
I would not be in Church that does this sort of thing.
I want to sit and be ministered to without people walking around.
My own pastor actually forbids people from walking around during sermon and I've heard of many pastors who do same.
Unless one has an incompetent bladder, I see no reason for grown adults walking around when most sermons here in the USA are just about 1 hr.
And walking around to give an offering is no different.

It's obvious that the church is replicating giving just to maximize their profit. Very soon, it'll be sowing in the choir, after all there are songs that inspired us and by 2015 you'll hear sowing in the pastors catwalk. i just don't know why women are always the culprits in these gimmicks.

It's just ridiculous seeing people rushing to the altar because the pastor read a line from the same bible they've been holding for ages.

Did you hear gamine propose her day of atonement blessing? That will be a new line soon.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by pilgrim1(f): 4:49pm On Sep 29, 2008
DeepZone:

i just don't know why women are always the culprits in these gimmicks.

Ehen. . somebodi wan buy market! grin
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by DeepZone: 4:56pm On Sep 29, 2008
Ehen. . somebodi wan buy market!

Let the somebody head to agboju and not in the church abeg.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by DeepZone: 4:57pm On Sep 29, 2008
Madam sectere, the Obanta delegates, and I Olabowale the represenattive, nominated our own son of the soil, Davidylan for the post!

Moderator please ban Olabowale here. He's anti christian.
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by pilgrim1(f): 5:02pm On Sep 29, 2008
DeepZone:

Moderator please ban Olabowale here. He's anti christian.

Hmmm, let am be! I dey beg. cheesy

DeepZone:

Let the somebody head to agboju and not in the church abeg.

C'mon DZ. . . look again - you know who d person b naw! grin
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by plusQueen: 5:51pm On Sep 29, 2008
as someone earlier said maybe whenever the choir hits a high note,we run up and sow to their vocal chords grin
wonders shall never cease
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by pilgrim1(f): 5:52pm On Sep 29, 2008
Una no go quench me with laff! grin grin
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by olabowale(m): 6:09pm On Sep 29, 2008
@Plus_Queen: « #7 on: Today at 03:54:56 PM »  Alhamdulillah, you at least didn't call yourself, Plus_Queensize! lol.

Hi @DZ (mind if I call you that sometimes?),

Quote from: DeepZone on Today at 03:47:35 PM
I know but that culture originated from Nigeria because I've never heard of it in American churches.

Well, that is news to me. . . although I cannot categorically say where I first noticed it. I once watched a service in progress and people just kept going to drop stuff at the pulpit so much so that to a casual observer it seemed to be a market place.

There are so many cultures that have crept into almost every religion in the world today. You name them and you will find sects, denominations, factions, and coteries in almost all of them. Our church is not the best, but one thing I so enjoy there is that the leaders ill not encourage anything that they cannot find in Scripture; yet, they encourage the members to not overwhelm other groups with what we believe.  

The greatest show on earth would be a show presented in a market. Wouldn't since there is an already made audience pool in abundant!

And how are your church leaders dealling with the case of "TRINITY" since it is not found in the "SCRIPTURE?"  

@plus_Queen: « #11 on: Today at 04:02:07 PM »  

[b]The way this sonds,some people may just walk up to be noticed.
and his head may swell up when people keep walking up.[/b]so in any sermon where no one walks up,people where not blessed?

You must have been a "Showstopper," in the days! Chei. Naija women sha. lol. Walking up to be noticed, head swelling up, etc. And you see why in Islam, men and women do not mix together in Ibadat (performing duties of worship in a communual sense among the believers)? Just imagine how many bloodhounds in the church, if you even can propose that the pastor/preacher, a mere human being can even be "noting and getting swelled up!"
Re: 'Sowing In The Word' by plusQueen: 6:20pm On Sep 29, 2008
You must have been a "Showstopper," in the days! Chei. Naija women sha. lol. Walking up to be noticed, head swelling up, etc. And you see why in Islam, men and women do not mix together in Ibadat (performing duties of worship in a communual sense among the believers)? Just imagine how many bloodhounds in the church, if you even can propose that the pastor/preacher, a mere human being can even be "noting and getting swelled up!"

Still am cool
You can legislate whatever you want  in Islam,as soon as that man leaves the mosque,he sees naked women both real and pictures.
He turns on his computer,naked women everywhere.
He closes his eyes,he can imagine women naked.
My dear,he even knows that underneath that woman in a burqua is a naked body

Rapes still happen in countries where women are forced to dress in flowing robes
Isn't that proof to you that merely seperating sexes in a place of worship means nothing

You my dear live in New York
how are you "holding yourself"
since you are bent on having women seperated.

Walking with Christ is of the heart.
You cannot control what people around you do
But the Christ in you can help you live a holy life even when all the women around you are shaking what their momma gave them

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Hate Pentecostal Pastors ! / The Gay Movement And The Mystery Of History / JW For Dummies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.