Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,587 members, 7,816,445 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (116451 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 30, 2011
bayleaf:

i searched everywhere for a chess mat, even up to shoprite and i could not get one.please hwere can i get to buy?

I empathise. I remember my search as well. I thought the big stores would have them in stock. Instead, all they had were those magnetic little things. Your best bet is a sports shop. There are many littered around the Ojuelegba area of Surulere. Even better are the sports shops in the National Stadium Complex, Surulere. The prices there should be within the range I offered. Though bear in mind I bought it about 3 years ago.

All the best wink
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by bayleaf(m): 11:22am On Dec 31, 2011
Fortissimo:

I empathise. I remember my search as well. I thought the big stores would have them in stock. Instead, all they had were those magnetic little things. Your best bet is a sports shop. There are many littered around the Ojuelegba area of Surulere. Even better are the sports shops in the National Stadium Complex, Surulere. The prices there should be within the range I offered. Though bear in mind I bought it about 3 years ago.

All the best wink
thanks bro, i really do appreciate this. i would go and check them out. i wish we could get to play each other . smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Don1DeMaco: 3:21pm On Jan 26, 2012
Loved this game.
Almost didnt make my grades in the Uni cos of chess.
Had to slow down after school while job hunting.
saw a few guys playing at a bar about 2 weeks ago and fell in love all over again.
Hope to revive the spirit and aim for greater heights but dont know if i'll have the time or patience.
probably have to pass over the barton to my kid.
she 'll be the first female GM in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 1:42am On Nov 21, 2012
The Original Chessguru is back !! CHESS IS IMMORTAL:!!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 22, 2012
chessguru: The Original Chessguru is back !! CHESS IS IMMORTAL:!!
pls post updates na. you were putting up some nice tutorials but you stopped. i'm still an average player. i played it when i was younger but now i only have one pattern of play. i'll like to learn new moves. my deficiency is in my opening.pls help. thanks

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 11:01pm On Nov 22, 2012
brokoto: pls post updates na. you were putting up some nice tutorials but you stopped. i'm still an average player. i played it when i was younger but now i only have one pattern of play. i'll like to learn new moves. my deficiency is in my opening.pls help. thanks
first of all join the Union of chess players on facebook .... it is a group created for the best chess players in Nigeria, the link to it is on my signature under my post. all you need to become a master is simple. master the simple principles
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
chessguru: first of all join the Union of chess players on facebook .... it is a group created for the best chess players in Nigeria, the link to it is on my signature under my post. all you need to become a master is simple. master the simple principles
must i join the group 1st? i'm not a regular on FB and i dont know if it will be worth it. . .
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 9:24am On Nov 23, 2012
brokoto: must i join the group 1st? i'm not a regular on FB and i dont know if it will be worth it. . .
NO It is not a must for you to join the group, but if you join the group it will be worth it , but please do not join if you do not wish to, it is totally a matter of choice.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 24, 2012
chessguru: NO It is not a must for you to join the group, but if you join the group it will be worth it , but please do not join if you do not wish to, it is totally a matter of choice.
ok, thanks but can you please continue the updates?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 2:35pm On Jan 01, 2013
chessguru: The Original Chessguru is back !! CHESS IS IMMORTAL:!!

GM Akinov, the legend of Idanre grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by esperiense(m): 9:25am On Feb 16, 2013
Chess Lords pls don't kill this thread. Does any1 know anywhere for chessbattle today in Lagos? Pls answa asap
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 6:34pm On Mar 06, 2013
CHESS FTW!!!!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 10:06am On Mar 07, 2013
InesQor: CHESS FTW!!!!

How good is your chess. Give me an idea. Online rating will help.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 10:15am On Mar 07, 2013
jayriginal:

How good is your chess. Give me an idea. Online rating will help.

Lol here are my current chess.com ratings (they fluctuate a lot)

Blitz: 1378
Chess: 1469
Chess mentor (tactics / puzzles): 1679

I guess this means that I'm very good at puzzles / tactics: if I know there is an advantage in a position I can easily find it. Or if I can manage to sense that there is a weak position I can exploit it.

Ratings are nothing though grin If you have a chess.com account let me have your ID and we can play some live games sharply when you have time. (Live games only work on PCs/Macs, tablets/iPads and Androids/iPhones).
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 10:20am On Mar 07, 2013
If you're interested just add me as a friend.

My chess.com ID is Eiddore
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 10:29am On Mar 07, 2013
InesQor:

Lol here are my current chess.com ratings (they fluctuate a lot)

Blitz: 1378
Chess: 1469
Chess mentor (tactics / puzzles): 1679

I guess this means that I'm very good at puzzles / tactics: if I know there is an advantage in a position I can easily find it. Or if I can manage to sense that there is a weak position I can exploit it.

Ratings are nothing though grin If you have a chess.com account let me have your ID and we can play some live games sharply when you have time. (Live games only work on PCs/Macs, tablets/iPads and Androids/iPhones).

I dont have a chess.com account. Maybe I will register one soon. I used to use chesscube but I stopped sometime ago.

Ok I dont have a blitz rating. Im not very fond of it (blitz). I have chessmentor (I think) but never installed it. For tactics I use CPT or chessbase.

My online rating with a time control of 15minutes per side fluctuates between 1655 and 1755. I've been unable to cross the 1800 mark so far.

If you have chessbase/fritz, I could hook you up with some nice material to practice your tactics on.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 10:30am On Mar 07, 2013
InesQor: If you're interested just add me as a friend.

My chess.com ID is Eiddore

As soon as I open an account I'll add you and let you know.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 11:34am On Mar 07, 2013
jayriginal:

I dont have a chess.com account. Maybe I will register one soon. I used to use chesscube but I stopped sometime ago.

Ok I dont have a blitz rating. Im not very fond of it (blitz). I have chessmentor (I think) but never installed it. For tactics I use CPT or chessbase.

My online rating with a time control of 15minutes per side fluctuates between 1655 and 1755. I've been unable to cross the 1800 mark so far.

If you have chessbase/fritz, I could hook you up with some nice material to practice your tactics on.

Nice! Can't recall the last time I played a 15 minute per side chess game! I guess my rating will be higher on such a longer game.

Maybe we'll play a 15 min per side game when you're ready.

Oh I don't use Chessbase or Fritz. I used to use Rybka 4 Aquarium and Chess Assistant 11 but recently I have been lazy (or I haven't been bothered enough, smh). Lol.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 12:39pm On Mar 07, 2013
InesQor:

Nice! Can't recall the last time I played a 15 minute per side chess game! I guess my rating will be higher on such a longer game.

Maybe we'll play a 15 min per side game when you're ready.

Oh I don't use Chessbase or Fritz. I used to use Rybka 4 Aquarium and Chess Assistant 11 but recently I have been lazy (or I haven't been bothered enough, smh). Lol.

Your rating will most likely be higher. Blitz is too erratic abeg and I'm not very good at it. There are pros though.

Last time I played 5minutes blitz, the guy gave me 5minutes to his one minute and I still lost (almost in time trouble sef). Then he wanted to "blood".

No thank you. grin

I think though that one can train for blitz. In blitz, if you have good opening lines, have enough tactical patterns in your head and play aggressively then you're good to go.
I prefer longer games though. They are more aesthetically pleasing.

Are you on bbm ?
Theres a chess app there that allows one play over bbm. Time limit is 90 secs per move. I do okay with that.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by InesQor(m): 2:16pm On Mar 07, 2013
jayriginal:

Your rating will most likely be higher. Blitz is too erratic abeg and I'm not very good at it. There are pros though.

Last time I played 5minutes blitz, the guy gave me 5minutes to his one minute and I still lost (almost in time trouble sef). Then he wanted to "blood".

No thank you. grin

I think though that one can train for blitz. In blitz, if you have good opening lines, have enough tactical patterns in your head and play aggressively then you're good to go.
I prefer longer games though. They are more aesthetically pleasing.

Are you on bbm ?
Theres a chess app there that allows one play over bbm. Time limit is 90 secs per move. I do okay with that.

Nice! I've sent you a private message smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 2:18pm On Mar 07, 2013
InesQor:

Nice! I've sent you a private message smiley

Thanks.
I just replied.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by sarutobie(m): 3:35pm On Mar 15, 2013
A game I played against my sparring opponent online..1.d4-d5 2.Nf3-Nf6 3.e3-e6 4.Nbd2-Bd6 5.Bd3-0 0 6.0 0-c5 7.c3-Nc6 8.dc-Bc5 9.c4-Re8 10.c5(releasing the tension in the middle)-Bc7 11.Bb5(threatening Bc6 and Ne5)-e5 12.Bc6-bc 13.Bd2-e4 14.Nd4-Bh2ch!! 15.Kh2-Ng4ch 16.Kg3(16.Kg1-Qh4 17.Re1-Qh2ch 18.Kf1-Qh1ch 19.Ke2-Qg2 20.Rf1-Nh2 threatening Bg4ch winning)-Qg5 17.f4-ef(e.p) 18.Nf3-Qg6(threatening Ne3ch) 19.Nh4-Qg5 20.Nf3-Qd8!! 21.Qe2-Qc7ch 22.Kh4-Re4! 23.Ba5- Ne3ch 24.g4-Rg4ch 25.Kh5-g6ch 26.Kh6-Nf5chmate..
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 10:15pm On Apr 18, 2013
sarutobie: A game I played against my sparring opponent online..1.d4-d5 2.Nf3-Nf6 3.e3-e6 4.Nbd2-Bd6 5.Bd3-0 0 6.0 0-c5 7.c3-Nc6 8.dc-Bc5 9.c4-Re8 10.c5(releasing the tension in the middle)-Bc7 11.Bb5(threatening Bc6 and Ne5)-e5 12.Bc6-bc 13.Bd2-e4 14.Nd4-Bh2ch!! 15.Kh2-Ng4ch 16.Kg3(16.Kg1-Qh4 17.Re1-Qh2ch 18.Kf1-Qh1ch 19.Ke2-Qg2 20.Rf1-Nh2 threatening Bg4ch winning)-Qg5 17.f4-ef(e.p) 18.Nf3-Qg6(threatening Ne3ch) 19.Nh4-Qg5 20.Nf3-Qd8!! 21.Qe2-Qc7ch 22.Kh4-Re4! 23.Ba5- Ne3ch 24.g4-Rg4ch 25.Kh5-g6ch 26.Kh6-Nf5chmate..

Bro, use a pgn next time.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 7:50am On Jul 08, 2013
Good to see this thread is still somewhat alive... thought it was dead a long time ago.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:34am On Jul 22, 2013
Hi Guys/Gals

Im an Oyinbo who has been spending a lot of time in Niaja over the last 13 years or so (Port Harcourt, Warri {waffi!}, Bonny, and of course Lagos - a real Eko Boy). I am out of country currently due to health reason but will returning next year. I would really love to know of any Clubs in Lagos especially around VI, Ikoyi, Lekki, Apapa etc. Failing that any bars where guys would regularly play chess would be great to know.

I was a tournament rated 1850 ELO player many years ago but today would be realistically only about 1600 or so. My opening theory has declined over the years!

I hope to hear from some of you guys.

P.S. Don't be fooled by the handle. I'm Kolo but not moo moo!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:39am On Jul 22, 2013
Further to my above post. I am also interested in hearing of any Clubs in PH, especially around the GRA area. If I get to know any of you guys we could play by email etc. Or perhaps a face to face game when I next get out there (next year I hope).

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:51am On Jul 22, 2013
I don't want to monopolise the thread but I just thought that I forgot to ask if there are any websites or boards for Chess in Nigeria rather than the multitude of general Chess sites. Please feel free to message me directly as well (although I'm not too sure how that works here but I guess I shall figure it out.)

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:57am On Aug 19, 2013
Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this thread DEAD?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 7:50pm On Aug 19, 2013
^^^

Kind of.

Seems nairaland has only a few avid chess players.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 9:56pm On Aug 19, 2013
KoloOyinbo: Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this thread DEAD?

Hey Kolo,the thread isn't dead but just sleeping.There are quite a lot of good chess players on NL... U can try obudu chess club in PH.its around mile 1 axis.There are also a couple of active clubs in lag.I ll check if I still have d links.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 11:10pm On Aug 19, 2013
08063030617. U can call sunny on that number to direct u to the club.I forgot to include that in my previous post.if that doesn't work try this 07063157709
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 11:23pm On Aug 24, 2013
And for those close to or within surulere there's a chess club off Adelabu.call 08055657780 for directions

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (40) (Reply)

Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / Efootball PES 2024 PPSSPP Android Game Download / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.