Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,538 members, 7,816,310 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (116448 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 9:02pm On Nov 03, 2013
Behind bobo:

Yes true no doubt about that but don't u think the sequence should be to first understand the basics so that when playing through these masters games he will be able to relate to them.Else it will be confusing as many moves made by masters based on chess basics will seem out of place to him.
Standard chess boards have notations in a matrix form and these should serve a beginner I think.

Hmm. You sound like an academic. Not exactly what a beginner needs.

It is nice that you use words to instruct but variations are the language of chess. When you want to demonstrate something to him how do you do it?

Which is easier, to say "1.e4", or to say "For your first move, move the pawn in front of your king two steps" ? Hope you see the point now?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 11:23pm On Nov 03, 2013
U got my point all wrong man.Of course he's gonna use chess notations when playing but that's not the engine room of chess...just a means to an end. I never struck off not knowing the notations but did mention that learning the fundamentals is more beneficial.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by KoloOyinbo(m): 7:40pm On Nov 06, 2013
Behind bobo:

Yes true no doubt about that but don't u think the sequence should be to first understand the basics so that when playing through these masters games he will be able to relate to them.Else it will be confusing as many moves made by masters based on chess basics will seem out of place to him.
Standard chess boards have notations in a matrix form and these should serve a beginner I think.

Correct. But to properly learn the basics you need to know the notation to follow the examples.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 3:17pm On Nov 11, 2013
World Chess Championship in progress.Magnus Carlsen challenges Vishy Anand for the title. Two games played so far have been drawn.

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 3:29pm On Nov 11, 2013
Behind bobo: World Chess Championship in progress.Magnus Carlsen challenges Vishy Anand for the title. Two games played so far have been drawn.

Whats your prediction on the outcome?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 7:35pm On Nov 11, 2013
Carlsen has been hugely favoured to win because he has the world's highest rating at the moment but he hasnt been bold so far. I think the match scares him a little and if he continues this way he will not win the championship.
Personally i prefer Anand retains his title but feel Carlsen will win as his confidence will increase somewhere midway into the championship

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 8:38am On Nov 12, 2013
^^^

I read somewhere that the Championship is in a 12 game format. If this is so, then I think it favours the current holder. Anand has more experience in match play and though his rating is lower than Carlsens, that experience will serve him well in a short match. If they had used a longer format, then Carlsen being the younger player would have had an advantage in the stamina department.

As it is, I cant call it. I havent really followed chess news for a long time so I have no idea of Anand's current form.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by sarutobie(m): 9:26am On Nov 12, 2013
Yea the format favours Anand since he doesn't need to complicate issues,he can just steer the game into drawish terrains and hold out.Carlsen will be the one striving to create winning chances(since if the match is drawn Anand retains his title).If it were a longer format,Carlsen can afford to go all out and take risks against Anand(since a loss won't be that fatal in a longer format)..And Anand has prove time and time again to be one(if not the best) match player ever.carlsen winning will be a breath of fresh air
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 9:37am On Nov 12, 2013
^^^

Exactly!

I like Carlsen but if I had my way, Anand would win it, then Carlsen can dethrone him the at the next world championship. I think Kasparov was the last of the legendary champions but I would like to see Anand get an honourable mention at least.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 9:54am On Nov 12, 2013
Game 1, Carlsen–Anand, ½–½

Neo-Grünfeld Defence (ECO D78)

1. Nf3 d5 2. g3 g6 3. Bg2 Bg7 4. d4 c6 5. 0-0 Nf6 6. b3 0-0 7. Bb2 Bf5 8. c4 Nbd7 9. Nc3 dxc4 10. bxc4 Nb6 11. c5 Nc4 12. Bc1 Nd5 13. Qb3 Na5 14. Qa3 Nc4 15. Qb3 Na5 16. Qa3 Nc4 ½–½

Game 2

Anand-Carlsen

Caro-Kann Defence (ECO B19)

1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Bf5 5. Ng3 Bg6 6. h4 h6 7. Nf3 e6 8. Ne5 Bh7 9. Bd3 Bxd3 10. Qxd3 Nd7 11. f4 Bb4+ 12. c3 Be7 13. Bd2 Ngf6 14. 0-0-0 0-0 15. Ne4 Nxe4 16. Qxe4 Nxe5 17. fxe5 Qd5 18. Qxd5 cxd5 19. h5 b5 20. Rh3 a5 21. Rf1 Rac8 22. Rg3 Kh7 23. Rgf3 Kg8 24. Rg3 Kh7 25. Rgf3 Kg8 ½–½
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 4:34pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hey guys,

I decided to do an analysis of the games. Ive done game 1 (easy as it wasnt too long). I tried to do a move by move analysis but I know it wont be feasible for longer games.

I used chesspad (its free) so if anyone is interested, the link is http://www.wmlsoftware.com/chesspad.html

To input your analysis after a move just ctr+e.

Im guessing for the longer or more decisive games, I will have to use fritz or something similar.

Anyway, if anyone will wish to chip in, you are welcome. Ive already reserved spaces for all twelve games. That way, we will have the initial posts focussed on the game and subsequent posts for discussion.

If anyone decides to help out in analysis, the person will have to post under the 12 reserved, but once I see it, I will immediately move it to the appropriate number under the reserved spot (with the full quote).

Id be glad to have volunteers.

EDIT

Link to the thread is https://www.nairaland.com/1514276/world-chess-championship-2013
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 4:56pm On Jul 03, 2014
yes!! My chess friends! Found you people again, so what's going on here? Behind bobo,jayriginal, prof 800,koloyinbo, toyindipo. Where are u guys? And chessguru?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by prof800(m): 6:10pm On Jul 03, 2014
^^^^^
chessguru ke? Na phantom u dey call so ooo... grin
hehehe... hope you're doing fine?

Wheewww! Glad this thread made it. It's been a while.
Hello everyone..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by ToyinDipo(m): 9:19pm On Jul 03, 2014
@joywendy
Hi, we've been around I guess. How have you been.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 7:31am On Jul 04, 2014
prof800: ^^^^^

Hello everyone..
lol phantom! Hehe. I guess he is too busy with his facebook group and page
i'm doing good oh! Welcome! How are u doing?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 7:32am On Jul 04, 2014
ToyinDipo: @joywendy
Hi, we've been around I guess. How have you been.
oh that's good! Have been good oh. What about you?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 12:27am On Jul 05, 2014
joywendy

Hi, how are you?

Nice to hear from you. Have you been practicing with the software?

I have a competition coming up soon. Ill try and post my games when that happens.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by swing4real(m): 1:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
Is there any place some one can play chess in Lagos? I mean like chess events or gathering club
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Lobolintin(m): 1:36pm On Jul 06, 2014
Am a grand Master
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:39pm On Jul 06, 2014
swing4real: Is there any place some one can play chess in Lagos? I mean like chess events or gathering club

u can form ur own.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
swing4real: Is there any place some one can play chess in Lagos? I mean like chess events or gathering club
looking for this in PHC , I want a challenge with someone in PHC.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by wordychap: 1:54pm On Jul 06, 2014
Any chess club in uyo, Aka Ibom State?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by nymphomaniac(m): 2:02pm On Jul 06, 2014
What a rainy day...back to the issue, chess is a game for kings. Totally luv this game, a pity I don't play full-time due to book and oda stuffs. Gat my board tho...
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 06, 2014
Any chess master in Ilorin interested in playing chess
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by cornflakes: 2:32pm On Jul 06, 2014
@uyo:check,no21_atakpo_street_uyo
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Obinnau(m): 2:35pm On Jul 06, 2014
wow didnt know such thread exists. chess is a game of wits. so so love the game.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Pluslargent(m): 3:10pm On Jul 06, 2014
hmm this game changed my entire life back in school..but as i grew older with the cares of life i realized...life is too short for chess! but love it no matter how rusty i become.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 06, 2014
Wow
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Alexk2(m): 3:26pm On Jul 06, 2014
Thank God i finally have people talking about chess on nairaland.
I so much love to develop my knowledge of this game but how can i when i hardly have playing time with like minds.
i only get to play online.
i wish i can find people with like passion around here.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 3:26pm On Jul 06, 2014
prof800: ^^^^^

Hello everyone..
Hey this is CHESSGURU *original* please who is phantom......... Could the character be my fake or a chessguru who knows nothing about the kings game?? Name is AKINOV AKINSEYE The Ondo state chess coach ....... The Luis Van Gal of chess...... Pardon me for blowing that little trumpet of mine....... LOL i am back and back for good with chess thingz

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by prof800(m): 3:41pm On Jul 06, 2014
chessguru: Hey this is CHESSGURU *original* please whi is phantom......... Could the character be my fake?? Name is AKINOV AKINSEYE The Ondo state chess coach ....... The Luis Van Gal of chess...... Pardon me for blowing that little trumpet of mine....... LOL i am back and back for good with chess thingz
Yes the phantom (ghost) is back.!

You are indeed the 'Van Gaal' of Chess!
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by chessguru(m): 3:51pm On Jul 06, 2014
There are many chess tournaments taking place from time to time in Nigeria............ You can join the chess community on facebook for a raw chess things...... Search for UNION OF NIGERIA CHESS PLAYERS on facebook then ask to join......... Drop your state and city so i can link you guys up with the chess peeps near you. - yours sincerely !!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (40) (Reply)

Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / Efootball PES 2024 PPSSPP Android Game Download / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.