Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,470 members, 7,816,115 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

Nairaland Official Chess Thread! - Gaming (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Nairaland Official Chess Thread! (116446 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Nairaland's Official Instagram Thread; Post Your IG Handles. / Nairaland Official PSP Apps,games,tutorials & H@cks(striclty For PSP Fans Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by joywendy(f): 3:13am On Aug 25, 2013
[quote author=chessguru][b]@ LOVERS AND FRIENDS OF CHESS,
THIS IS A THREAD OPENED TO DISCUSS THE PROPER STATE OF CHESS IN NIGERIA, MOSTLY COMPETITIVE CHESS FOR THOSE THAT HAVE PENETRATED THE INNER CHESS SHRINE, AND CAN BOAST OF MANY SACRIFICES AND GAMBITS WITH FIRE ON THE BOARD!!, those that want to learn this ancient game can fall in anytime[/b]T

its your move, The beauty of a move lies not in its' appearance
but in the thought behind it

I really love chess. Its my favourite,am happy to see pics of ladies here playing chess, most people take it has a guy thing. Even back at second school, I could hardly get a girl who wanted to play chess. Its a gOod thread,people need to be enlightened more about this game especially ladies.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by LordOrochimaru(m): 12:17pm On Aug 27, 2013
Add on BBM 265352f5 for LS chess via BBM.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 9:26am On Aug 31, 2013
There is friends of chess(FOC) coming up next week.Check foc.com.ng for details.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 9:28am On Aug 31, 2013
Executive chess club at Surulere.For information call 08055657780

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 04, 2013
I love chess!!!Although I don't play this game professionally,I love the challenges it gives me each time I play it with friends,online and with colleagues.Add me on 2go @brainydaps,if you are a chess pro,or if you think you are talented in the game,thanks.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by deleuche(m): 1:51am On Sep 20, 2013
Any chess club or joint in Ogba or around ikeja? I need to revive my beloved chess game
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:35pm On Sep 22, 2013
anybody know where I can get a mat set for like 5k-ish
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 9:48am On Sep 23, 2013
08022132343. Call dashe on that number for chess clubs info.
If u need chess mats or clocks,visit national stadium or ojuelegba road.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 10:03am On Sep 23, 2013
GeneralShepherd: anybody know where I can get a mat set for like 5k-ish

Mats are generally 2,500 - 3,000. Last I checked anyway.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 12:36pm On Sep 23, 2013
Sure mats aren't up to 5k. Wooden sets are more expensive...some are up to 20k
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 04, 2013
Please any chess club in port harcourt?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 8:25pm On Oct 12, 2013
08063030617. There's obudu chess club.call sunny on that number
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by prof800(m): 12:14am On Oct 13, 2013
Does someone here know quick way to break the wall of Roy Lopez?
I need to use it. This guy has been winning me siiiince.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 1:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
prof800: Does someone here know quick way to break the wall of Roy Lopez?
I need to use it. This guy has been winning me siiiince.

What side of the Spanish are you having problems with? The black or white?
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by prof800(m): 5:34pm On Oct 13, 2013
jayriginal:

What side of the Spanish are you having problems with? The black or white?
The white.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 9:26am On Oct 14, 2013
prof800:
The white.

Ah, maybe I didnt phrase my question properly. I meant which side are you having trouble playing against.

You could take a look at these links. They should help somewhat

http://exeterchessclub.org.uk/content/spanish-torture-ruy-lopez

http://www.becomeawordgameexpert.com/ruylopez.htm
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 10:10am On Oct 14, 2013
^^^

Since I am not yet sure what side you find it difficult to play against, I will offer some general solutions.

The Spanish begins after the moves 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5

Once you have gotten to that point, the best thing is to steer the game into a specific variation. While the most common move is 3. ..a6 for black, you could steer it to your direction by playing 3. ...d6 . Even if you play 3. ...a6 during the course of the next few moves, you will have chances to steer the game into a direction you can dictate.

As white, you can play the exchange variation by playing 4 Bxc6.

The point of all this is to get you to choose a variation and study it. The reason is that the Spanish is one of the most complex of the Chess Openings and has a very huge number of variations. You should try and dictate the pace of the game rather than let someone else dictate it to you.
Do some research with a database, choose the variation you like and then start looking at games that were played with those variations. You will start to get a feel for themes and plans.

I dont know if you have access to training software like chessbase and others.

One other thing you could do is pick out a repertoire book . One that comes highly recommended is "A Spanish Repertoire for Black" by Mihail Marin.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by sarutobie(m): 3:17pm On Oct 24, 2013
jayriginal: ^^^

Since I am not yet sure what side you find it difficult to play against, I will offer some general solutions.

The Spanish begins after the moves 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5

Once you have gotten to that point, the best thing is to steer the game into a specific variation. While the most common move is 3. ..a6 for black, you could steer it to your direction by playing 3. ...d6 . Even if you play 3. ...a6 during the course of the next few moves, you will have chances to steer the game into a direction you can dictate.

As white, you can play the exchange variation by playing 4 Bxc6.

The point of all this is to get you to choose a variation and study it. The reason is that the Spanish is one of the most complex of the Chess Openings and has a very huge number of variations. You should try and dictate the pace of the game rather than let someone else dictate it to you.
Do some research with a database, choose the variation you like and then start looking at games that were played with those variations. You will start to get a feel for themes and plans.

I dont know if you have access to training software like chessbase and others.

One other thing you could do is pick out a repertoire book . One that comes highly recommended is "A Spanish Repertoire for Black" by Mihail Marin.
Maybe he should just adopt the exchange variation and steer the game through calmer paths as white..
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
sarutobie:
Maybe he should just adopt the exchange variation and steer the game through calmer paths as white..

I mentioned that.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by prof800(m): 8:57pm On Oct 25, 2013
jayriginal:

I mentioned that.
I'm still trying guys..you have been helpful..
But the guy still beats me like chicken anyway.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 9:54am On Oct 27, 2013
prof800:

Dont give up just yet. Truth be told, if you do all this, he may still beat you but not like a chicken grin

The way you said that makes me think you need to practice tactics more.

Give me an idea of the resources at your disposal and I will try and make suggestions. Tell me for example, what books and what software you have.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by sarutobie(m): 10:28am On Oct 27, 2013
prof800:
It is good to spar against a stronger opponent.practice is still the surefire way of improving in chess..you can improve on your own by these steps
1.Studying games of masters and grandmasters-visit www.chessgames.com and www.chessbase.com to get updates on master tourneys and games..this way you learn how a master goes about solving problems during a game.
2.Get a good book on openings(if possible)-this will give you an insight into why certain moves are played or not played in opening..you can then build your own opening(according to your temperament).
3.Another important step is to learn chess notation(if you haven't) this will help you to understand the games of masters and also to record your own games..it is important you record your games so you can study them(especially your loses) and know where you made mistakes and how to avoid such in future games..goodluck.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by prof800(m): 9:29pm On Oct 28, 2013
@jayriginal...i don't have any resources at my disposal now but i'm checking the sites that sarutobie dropped now.
@sarutobie...i really want to learn on openings like you said. I check the ones on the site. Also i'd like to learn about chess notations but that would be later later..
Just learning from you guy's posts above i feel i am improving but i still make silly mistakes tho.
Thanks for being there.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 9:22am On Oct 29, 2013
^^

Prof800, see Sarutobies 3rd recommendation. Its the most helpful.

If you have games of your own, you can post them here and we will have an idea of what area is troubling you the most. Personally I suspect you arent very strong tactically but I cannot tell until I see your games. Try and learn how to record your games (if you dont know how to) and then post them here for review.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 10:28pm On Nov 01, 2013
I don't think learning chess notation will improve ur game considerably if uve not mastered the basics. U should consider general chess strategy such as:
Openings:
1.Bring out your pieces as fast as possible while trying to hinder your oponent's development.
2. Two pawn moves should generally be ok for you to complete ur opening.Move pieces in preference to pawns in the opening.
3.Don't put ur pieces where they can be easily attacked.This makes u lose tempo...similar to ur oponent playing twice while u lose a turn.
4.Don't bring ur queen out to early.except in book opening where ur sure the queen wouldn't be chased around.
5.Move each piece once in the opening except where its absolutely neccessary.Moving a piece more than once in the opening is mostly a waste of time and will result in ur oponent having a better position in the middle game.
The general aim of the opening is to develop quickly and control the center.If u don't study too much but know and practise these u ll be fine.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 10:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
Middlegame:
1.Ensure your King is safe at all times.
2.Dominate open lines
3.Control the center.Avoid moves which results in ur pieces hanging all over the board.This will make u lose quickly in the hands of a tactical player.
4. Ensure ur pawn structure is good. Avoid too many doubled pawns.
5.Look for weaknesses in ur oponents postion and exploit them.Avoid passive moves excpet u have a high level strategy of winning.Create threats whenever possible.
6. Neutralise your oponent's activity around ur King quickly.Chess is war...to many enemies around ur King means chances that the King may be captured is higher.
7.Don't leave ur pieces lying undeveloped. A piece on the battle field is worth ten at home relaxing.Place ur pieces on optimal squares.
TACTICS...the weapon which u should have at all times.without it u would achieve nothing.u ll be blunt.Learn all u can about tactics.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by jayriginal: 11:52pm On Nov 01, 2013
Excellent pointers tushbobo but learning chess notation is vital to his learning for two reasons

He will be able to record and review games
It gives him access to the vast chess material available in written form
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by prof800(m): 12:29am On Nov 02, 2013
@tushbobo..
thanks for the tips...but in the opening you said i should move my piece once. u mean the pawns should move one step instead of two or...

---
I also don't understand what you meant by "optimal squares" pls bring it down to my level.
Thanks. i'll learn notations later so that i can understand these materials.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by KoloOyinbo(m): 11:08am On Nov 02, 2013
Behind bobo: I don't think learning chess notation will improve ur game considerably if uve not mastered the basics. U should consider general chess strategy such as:
Openings:
1.Bring out your pieces as fast as possible while trying to hinder your oponent's development.
2. Two pawn moves should generally be ok for you to complete ur opening.Move pieces in preference to pawns in the opening.
3.Don't put ur pieces where they can be easily attacked.This makes u lose tempo...similar to ur oponent playing twice while u lose a turn.
4.Don't bring ur queen out to early.except in book opening where ur sure the queen wouldn't be chased around.
5.Move each piece once in the opening except where its absolutely neccessary.Moving a piece more than once in the opening is mostly a waste of time and will result in ur oponent having a better position in the middle game.
The general aim of the opening is to develop quickly and control the center.If u don't study too much but know and practise these u ll be fine.

If you do not learn Chess notation you will not be able to properly follow illustrative examples of openings, middlegames, endgames, general ideas etc etc. IT IS ESSENTIAL to learn notation if you wish to progress. ALSO- If you want to enjoy published games from the masters and championships etc then you need to know the notation.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 10:29pm On Nov 02, 2013
prof800: @tushbobo..
thanks for the tips...but in the opening you said i should move my piece once. u mean the pawns should move one step instead of two or...

---
I also don't understand what you meant by "optimal squares" pls bring it down to my level.
Thanks. i'll learn notations later so that i can understand these materials.

The statement actually reads 'move each piece once' which means when moving ur pieces in the opening, a piece that has been moved should not be moved again till the opening phase of the game has ended. You can move your pawns one or two squares foward but don't move the same pawn twice in the opening unless you are capturing a piece.
An optimal square is the best square for a piece.You can determine this by looking for the square where a piece would have its widest or strongest reach when ur attacking or the square where a piece neutralises ur opponent's control while leaving room for a counter attack when defending...without being easily driven off.
Re: Nairaland Official Chess Thread! by tushbobo(m): 10:43pm On Nov 02, 2013
KoloOyinbo:

If you do not learn Chess notation you will not be able to properly follow illustrative examples of openings, middlegames, endgames, general ideas etc etc. IT IS ESSENTIAL to learn notation if you wish to progress. ALSO- If you want to enjoy published games from the masters and championships etc then you need to know the notation.

Yes true no doubt about that but don't u think the sequence should be to first understand the basics so that when playing through these masters games he will be able to relate to them.Else it will be confusing as many moves made by masters based on chess basics will seem out of place to him.
Standard chess boards have notations in a matrix form and these should serve a beginner I think.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (40) (Reply)

Pls Help Me On How I Can Install PES 2013 On My Computer. / Efootball PES 2024 PPSSPP Android Game Download / How To Use Cheats On Android PPSSPP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.