Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,399 members, 7,815,872 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (342) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (913479 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) ... (509) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by timenamoney: 8:15pm On Sep 15, 2021
Originakalokalo:

I have questions that have bothered me for a while.....

1. What's a Belgium engine?

2. If I buy a Belgium engine of Honda Accord 2007 for instance, is the engine 14 years old? ( 2007 when it was produced to 2021)

3. were all the engines of All Honda Accord 2007 produced in 2007?

That takes me back to question Number 1,

What is a Belgium engine?

Should I treat a Belgium engine of Honda Accord 2007 as high milage engine since "it was produced 14years ago?"

Gurus in the house....

Kindly give your inputs.

Belgium mean used engine , even if it is one year old

the miles an engine has run or cover is what makes it high mileage not 14 years , there are 14 years cars that have not hit 70k miles

Find a reputable mechanic with a compression tester and know the recommended compression for your engine to determine

A 14 years 150k mileage well maintained engine is better than 3 year old unmaintained engine

#timenamoney

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Eddygourdo(m): 9:42am On Sep 16, 2021
GAZZUZZ:
This thread is dedicated to solving car related problems, it will cover all issues feel free to post problems here, Car gurus your posts are welcome and highly appreciated.
hello Oga gazzuz. I need advise on a car issue and maybe you could help me with it. I bought a Tokunbo grade Honda pilot 07, but I observed it came with a single cell radiator and it's thermostat is still connected. It does not overheat or anything. But people keep suggesting thermostats should be removed and that single cell radiators aren't good for our climate. What do you suggest sir. I am a regular traveller and I don't want to experience issues while travelling. If you suggest I upgrade and remove the thermostat. What's the bill for doing that for me
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Originakalokalo(m): 10:37am On Sep 16, 2021
timenamoney:
Belgium mean used engine , even if it is one year old

the miles an engine has run or cover is what makes it high mileage not 14 years , there are 14 years cars that have not hit 70k miles

Find a reputable mechanic with a compression tester and know the recommended compression for your engine to determine

A 14 years 150k mileage well maintained engine is better than 3 year old unmaintained engine

#timenamoney

Thank you. Your response is highly appreciated.

If I may ask, were all engines of Honda Accord 2007 produced in 2007?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by seanfer(m): 10:45am On Sep 16, 2021
Eddygourdo:
hello Oga gazzuz. I need advise on a car issue and maybe you could help me with it. I bought a Tokunbo grade Honda pilot 07, but I observed it came with a single cell radiator and it's thermostat is still connected. It does not overheat or anything. But people keep suggesting thermostats should be removed and that single cell radiators aren't good for our climate. What do you suggest sir. I am a regular traveller and I don't want to experience issues while travelling. If you suggest I upgrade and remove the thermostat. What's the bill for doing that for me

Don't listen to those advising you to remove the thermostat.. Your vehicle is still in factory mode please leave it that way before you start looking for trouble where there is none .

6 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nymphomaniac(m): 10:48am On Sep 16, 2021
Eddygourdo:
why remove your thermostat? It was put there for a reason. Leave your car as it is as the manufacturers knew what they were doing put a single cell and thermostat in the car. Las las you said it isn’t giving issues so why fix what isn’t bad?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Ekakamba: 10:57am On Sep 16, 2021
Eddygourdo:

Walahi thank God for internet.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by aboyaji(m): 12:05pm On Sep 16, 2021
Hello, Gazzuzz. What's the pros and cons of owning a hybrid vehicle?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by petrusevents(m): 12:46pm On Sep 16, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

08033910382, Lagos, Benin delta, oniitsha, and environs

5w30

hw much is the oil sir.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:32pm On Sep 16, 2021
Eddygourdo:

Replace radiator with a brand new unit (double or single does not matter) install coolant, buy a brand new coolant thermostat band install , buy an original timing kit plus water pump and install.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Eddygourdo(m): 2:03pm On Sep 16, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Replace radiator with a brand new unit (double or single does not matter) install coolant, buy a brand new coolant thermostat band install , buy an original timing kit plus water pump and install.

how much will it cost to do this. So I schedule to bring the car. I am within reach to your office. I think it is at haruna bus stop or thereabout
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GreekDon: 5:17pm On Sep 16, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Do this and have 100% peace of mind as you hit the highways. Preventive maintenance.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by AwesomeGod10(m): 11:11pm On Sep 16, 2021
Can somebody please help to interpret the following codes that pop up on my 05 Lexus ES330 P0776.
cc Gazzuzz
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by nacozee: 11:50pm On Sep 16, 2021
Gurus please
I drive a 2010 Toyota Venza. I bought it November last year tokunbo at 70k miles (don't know if there was a mileage fraud). However I don't know if there has been a transmission fluid change ever done on the car.

Now I have read that it's not okay to change transmission fluid on a car with high mileage as I could cause slipping. Am considering mine should have a mileage more than 70k considering it's been 10years. I may be wrong. Now it's 80k on it

So guys can I change the transmission fluid? I don't have any issues with the transmission anyways. Just don't want to have any issues develop.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:04am On Sep 17, 2021
AwesomeGod10:
Can somebody please help to interpret the following codes that pop up on my 05 Lexus ES330 P0776.
cc Gazzuzz

If you bought it with that code and you have been using it like that, it's the wrong gear installed .

If the code just came up then you have a bad valve body .
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DukeNija(m): 1:28am On Sep 17, 2021
nacozee:
Gurus please
I drive a 2010 Toyota Venza. I bought it November last year tokunbo at 70k miles (don't know if there was a mileage fraud). However I don't know if there has been a transmission fluid change ever done on the car.

Now I have read that it's not okay to change transmission fluid on a car with high mileage as I could cause slipping. Am considering mine should have a mileage more than 70k considering it's been 10years. I may be wrong. Now it's 80k on it

So guys can I change the transmission fluid? I don't have any issues with the transmission anyways. Just don't want to have any issues develop.

You should worry less about the routine maintenance if it’s Toks cos they’re somewhat ritualistic about oil changes. If you wish to change it, by all means go ahead. I would change it after at least a year if I were you.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by AwesomeGod10(m): 9:33am On Sep 17, 2021
It just came up yesterday on my way home. Do you have an idea how much it would cost to fix it?

GAZZUZZ:

If you bought it with that code and you have been using it like that, it's the wrong gear installed .

If the code just came up then you have a bad valve body .
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Eddygourdo(m): 5:28pm On Sep 17, 2021
GAZZUZZ:
This thread is dedicated to solving car related problems, it will cover all issues feel free to post problems here, Car gurus your posts are welcome and highly appreciated.
hello gazzuz. Can you fix the catalyst for a Lexus Ls 460 L. A V8 . After scanning the codes are

P0420- catalyst system efficiency below threshold

P0430- catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 2

P0441- evaporative emission (Evap ) control system purge flow incorrect

Amplifier for the radio and camera is faulty (not functioning)

Cracked windscreen (front)

Can you handle this ? Send contact and quote so I revert.

Message me on 07083547892, with price and quotes so we arrange a repair.

Regards
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by BestvalueEnt(m): 7:05pm On Sep 17, 2021
Car Lords,

Kindly assist with the likely cause of wearing of both edges of my tyres as shown in pictures for front driver's side

I replaced the ball joints and did wheel balancing and alignment sometimes in March to solve this issues but the problem still persists.

Toyota Matrix 2004

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:26pm On Sep 17, 2021
BestvalueEnt:
Car Lords,

Kindly assist with the likely cause of wearing of both edges of my tyres as shown in pictures for front driver's side

I replaced the ball joints and did wheel balancing and alignment sometimes in March to solve this issues but the problem still persists.

Toyota Matrix 2004

Nothing is wrong with car. Rotate your tyres more frequently rear to from.

Is vehicle used on unpaved roads very often? Is vehicle used for Ehailing? If yes, nothing wrong

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by BestvalueEnt(m): 9:02pm On Sep 17, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Nothing is wrong with car. Rotate your tyres more frequently rear to from.

Is vehicle used on unpaved roads very often? Is vehicle used for Ehailing? If yes, nothing wrong

I rotated the tyres in march because I replaced two worn out due to this same issue thereafter did alignment and balancing

Before march it was the two front tyres that was having this issue but only the driver's side is getting worn out now.

Car is mainly used between somolu & island on weekdays
Not used for e hailing at all .
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dicksonadams(m): 9:51pm On Sep 17, 2021
BestvalueEnt:

I rotated the tyres in march because I replaced two worn out due to this same issue thereafter did alignment and balancing

Before march it was the two front tyres that was having this issue but only the driver's side is getting worn out now.

Car is mainly used between somolu & island on weekdays
Not used for e hailing at all .

I use a Pontiac vibe... Same as matrix... Na normal thing, just do as gazzuzz said, rotate and enjoy
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by BestvalueEnt(m): 10:13pm On Sep 17, 2021
dicksonadams:

I use a Pontiac vibe... Same as matrix... Na normal thing, just do as gazzuzz said, rotate and enjoy

Thanks for the feedback.

How often should I rotate please 2/3months interval?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dicksonadams(m): 7:41am On Sep 18, 2021
BestvalueEnt:

Thanks for the feedback.

How often should I rotate please 2/3months interval?

4 month is fine
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Originakalokalo(m): 10:49am On Sep 18, 2021
GAZZUZZ:
What is OBD-II?

On-Board Diagnostic systems are in most cars and light trucks on the road today. During the '70s and early 1980's manufacturers started using electronic means to control engine functions and diagnose engine problems. This was primarily to meet EPA emission standards. Through the years on-board diagnostic systems have become more sophisticated. OBD-II, a new standard introduced in the mid-'90s, provides almost complete engine control and also monitors parts of the chassis, body and accessory devices, as well as the diagnostic control network of the car.

Where'd it come from?

To combat its smog problem in the LA basin, the State of California started requiring emission control systems on 1966 model cars. The federal government extended these controls nationwide in 1968.

Congress passed the Clean Air Act in 1970 and established the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This started a series of graduated emission standards and requirements for maintenance of vehicles for extended periods of time. To meet these standards, manufacturers turned to electronically controlled fuel feed and ignition systems. Sensors measured engine performance and adjusted the systems to provide minimum pollution. These sensors were also accessed to provide early diagnostic assistance.

At first there were few standards and each manufacturer had their own systems and signals. In 1988, the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) set a standard connector plug and set of diagnostic test signals. The EPA adapted most of their standards from the SAE on-board diagnostic programs and recommendations. OBD-II is an expanded set of standards and practices developed by SAE and adopted by the EPA and CARB (California Air Resources Board) for implementation by January 1, 1996.

Why do we need it?

The Environmental Protection Agency has been charged with reducing "mobile emissions" from cars and trucks and given the power to require manufacturers to build cars which meet increasingly stiff emissions standards. The manufacturers must further maintain the emission standards of the cars for the useful life of the vehicle. OBD-II provides a universal inspection and diagnosis method to be sure the car is performing to OEM standards. While there is argument as to the exact standards and methodology employed, the fact is there is a need to reduce vehicle emitted pollution levels in our cities, and we have to live with these requirements.

Does my car have OBD-II?

All cars built since January 1, 1996 have OBD-II systems. Manufacturers started incorporating OBD-II in various models as early as 1994. Some early OBD-II cars were not 100% compliant.

There are five basic OBD-II protocols in use, each with minor variations on the communication pattern between the on-board diagnostic computer and the scanner console or tool. While there have been some manufacturer changes between protocols in the past few years, as a rule of thumb, Chrysler products and all European and most Asian imports use ISO 9141 circuitry or KWP2000. GM cars and light trucks use SAE J1850 VPW (Variable Pulse Width Modulation), and Fords use SAE J1850 PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) communication patterns. CAN is the newest protocol added to the OBD-II specification, and it is mandated for all 2008 and newer model years.

You may also tell which protocol is used on a specific automobile by examining the connector socket carefully. If the dash connector has a pin in the #7 position and no pin at #2 or #10, then the car has the ISO 9141 protocol or KWP2000. If no pin is present in the #7 position, the car uses an SAE protocol. If there are pins in positions #7 and #2 and/or #10, the car may use the ISO protocol. The CAN protocol uses pins #6 and #14.

While there are OBD-II electrical connection protocols, the command set is fixed according to the SAE J1979 standard.

How do we measure OBD-II output?

Pre-OBD-II cars had connectors in various positions under the dashboard and under the hood. All OBD-II cars have a connector located in the passenger compartment easily accessible from the driver's seat. Check under the dash or behind or near the ashtray. A cable is plugged into the OBD-II J1962 connector and connected to AutoTap or another scan tool. AutoTap is available in PC/laptop. Other scantools on the market range from simple hand-held meters that display trouble codes, up to a large console computer-based unit costing thousands of dollars.

What good does it do to measure OBD-II output?

OBD-II signals are most often sought in response to a "Check Engine Light" appearing on the dashboard or driveability problems experienced with the vehicle. The data provided by OBD-II can often pinpoint the specific component that has malfunctioned, saving substantial time and cost compared to guess-and-replace repairs. Scanning OBD-II signals can also provide valuable information on the condition of a used car purchase.

Tell me about that "Check Engine Light".

The service industry calls the Check Engine light on your dash an "MIL" or Malfunction Indicator Light. It shows three different types of signals. Occasional flashes show momentary malfunctions. It stays on if the problem is of a more serious nature, affecting the emissions output or safety of the vehicle. A constantly flashing MIL is a sign of a major problem which can cause serious damage if the engine is not stopped immediately. In all cases a "freeze frame" of all sensor readings at the time is recorded in the central computer of the vehicle.

Hard failure signals caused by serious problems will cause the MIL to stay on any time the car is running until the problem is repaired and the MIL reset. Intermittent failures cause the MIL to light momentarily and they often go out before the problem is located. The freeze frame of the car's condition captured in the computer at the time of the malfunction can be very valuable in diagnosing these intermittent problems. However, in some cases if the car completes three driving cycles without a re-occurrence of the problem, the freeze frame will be erased.

OBD-II and your car's health

Because of their investment in the equipment required, most repair shops charge a fee, some-times substantial, to attach the scanning equipment and diagnose problems using the OBD-II system signals. Home mechanics and small shop technicians have been restricted from working with these signals by the cost and technical complexity of the equipment. With the introduction of more economical and user friendly scanning devices, it is now practical for almost anyone to access OBD-II signals and use them for their own testing and repairs.

Scanners vary greatly in their complexity. The best connect easily and use software to quickly and automatically call up the OBD-II information. A system connecting to a laptop or desktop computer provides expanded memory for data and a graphing utility.

Proprietary Sensor Readings

Though not part of the EPA's OBD II standard, the diagnostic read-outs used by dealership technicians are also read through the OBD II connector. These service codes show you such things as knock sensor operation, FI pulse width, ignition voltage, individual cylinder misfires, transmission shift points and ABS brake condition.  There can be over 300 readings available, depending on the vehicle manufacturer and model. Vehicles vary in the readings they will support. Scanners vary widely in the number of these signals that they can read.  Some show just the basic OBD or OBD II signals, others show the full range of service codes.

OBD-II and performance tuning

While the vast number of drivers want nothing more than dependable, economical transportation, many of us are looking to OBD-II for extra performance. Earlier on-board computer systems had chips that could be replaced to adjust engine parameters for extra speed and power. While the OBD-II systems are sealed and do not allow chip replacement, they do provide a real time data acquisition system that is useful to tuners.

Power loaders can actually reprogram the performance parameters of the OBD-II system to accommodate performance options. At the current time the number of models they can service is limited, but the range is being extended. Be sure the person doing your reprogramming keeps the car in compliance with EPA emission standards. As aftermarket manufacturers develop additional solutions, we will add their information to our links.

http://www.obdii.com

Engine has blue smoke when accelerating....smokes back when I rev at idling.

Vibrates when a.c is on.

I want to change the engine.

Am I on the right track?

Kindly respond.

Others can respond too.

Thank you all.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:51am On Sep 18, 2021
Originakalokalo:

Engine has blue smoke when accelerating....smokes back when I rev at idling.

Vibrates when a.c is on.

I want to change the engine.

Am I on the right track?

Kindly respond.

Others can respond too.

Thank you all.

vehicle , make, model, and specification
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Originakalokalo(m): 11:04am On Sep 18, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Honda Accord 2007 DC.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:00pm On Sep 18, 2021
Originakalokalo:

Honda Accord 2007 DC.

GAZZUZZ:

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Xpac123kid: 4:30pm On Sep 18, 2021
Please my Toyota Corolla 2009 been having P0014 OBD-II Trouble Code: Camshaft Position B - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1) and P0016 – Crankshaft position/camshaft position, bank 1 sensor A -correlation. I noticed atimes there is reduction in engine power when accelerating, please what could be the cause and any suggestions on how to fix it. Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:51pm On Sep 18, 2021
Xpac123kid:
Please my Toyota Corolla 2009 been having P0014 OBD-II Trouble Code: Camshaft Position B - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1) and P0016 – Crankshaft position/camshaft position, bank 1 sensor A -correlation. I noticed atimes there is reduction in engine power when accelerating, please what could be the cause and any suggestions on how to fix it. Thank you

what's the engine repair history, before I give you the solution

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Xpac123kid: 9:03pm On Sep 18, 2021
The car was making a rattling noise for few seconds on cold start, it was fixed and it no longer makes the rattling noise.
However since then it has been having the P0014 and P0016 fault codes
GAZZUZZ:

what's the engine repair history, before I give you the solution
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Hallenjay: 9:41pm On Sep 18, 2021
I want to exchange my car battery 75ah 12v for a new one.. who know who I can deal with around here?. Rivers state Nigeria.
Thanks all.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:34pm On Sep 18, 2021
Xpac123kid:
The car was making a rattling noise for few seconds on cold start, it was fixed and it no longer makes the rattling noise.
However since then it has been having the P0014 and P0016 fault codes

I thought so too.

Let's start with how these things work.

Your engine if it is a 2zr-fe is equipped with dual Variable timing actuators , these are attached to the ends of the cam shafts.

These parts work with oil pressure and are driven by 2 variable timing solenoids A and B.

This design is not full proof and tends to fail. When it fails, the camshaft actuator is unable to hold engine oil and it drains back into the the engine after sitting for a long time.

When engine is started up it rattles until for a couple of seconds (2-3secs) until the actuator is filled with oil again and everything runs normally.

Note that initial sound though annoying does not indicate engine failure.

This is where we have a problem. You take your vehicle to the mechanic to fix that annoying sound and instead of tackling the original problem by replacing the actuators with new ones, he welds or opens the actuators up and makes them permanent.

You now have the camshafts in fixed positions, noise gone, new problem created.

Engine looses power, looses efficiency you are now back in 1984.

To fix this problem is easy, replace both camshaft actuators again.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) ... (509) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.