Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,115 members, 7,828,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (363) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (919025 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) ... (511) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DukeNija(m): 4:51pm On Dec 16, 2021
Miee:
Is the Mercedes-Benz C400 a worthy drag race competitor to be put against the Mercedes E63 AMG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HynkGhaRChk

Well done, nice camera angles.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Deigofortune: 6:32pm On Dec 16, 2021
Still waiting for suggestions...pls how much for honda civic 06 engine
Deigofortune:
Pls How much can I get honda Civic 06 engine in the market now...my got damage due too overheating, hard starting ...it brings out smoke heavily which lead to high engine oil consumption..!!
Pls how much for new engine
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Peppermintflav: 7:46pm On Dec 16, 2021
Deigofortune:
Still waiting for suggestions...pls how much for honda civic 06 engine
https://www.nairaland.com/6571388/direct-tokunbo-engines-gearboxes/17

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Deigofortune: 10:09pm On Dec 16, 2021
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Ifebazz(m): 12:38pm On Dec 17, 2021
Good afternoon guys and geeks. Please does anyone knows cost of replacing driver side turn signal bulbs of W203 Mercedes? CC Gazzuzz et al. Thanks.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:31pm On Dec 17, 2021
Ifebazz:
Good afternoon guys and geeks. Please does anyone knows cost of replacing driver side turn signal bulbs of W203 Mercedes? CC Gazzuzz et al. Thanks.

Bulb Ke!

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Ifebazz(m): 4:51pm On Dec 17, 2021
Sorry if I used the wrong terminology, left mirror turn signal anyway. grin

GAZZUZZ:

Bulb Ke!
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by vosquare: 8:51pm On Dec 17, 2021
Please who knows a reliable rewire in ibadan? The remote of my car which was installed by a rewire is giving headache.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by justcallmenuel(m): 9:35pm On Dec 17, 2021
Good evening guys, my car alarm keeps draining my battery all the time. Pls how can it be disconnected?

The car is a 2007 Camry SE (spider).
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kingsdave(m): 2:49am On Dec 18, 2021
Car was parked for 10 months toyota camry 2009 XLE V6 .. the first day I drove it, noticed the AC is blowing hot air ... I immediately went for a refill , after the refill, the Cold air wasn't top notch, also the drivers vent was blowing warm air , but the other vents was blowing cold air ... The AC guy suggested my valve wasn't good , he suggested I should drive it around for a day and give him feedback, a day later all the vents started blowing hot air , I went back to his garage he removed the radiator and Condenser , he checked the Compressor , from his diagnosis he said the compressor is bad .. that it's turning almost at will ( free will) ... He suggested I should change the compressor and condenser also the valve. .. he suggested manual Compressor , that the Automatic compressor will pack up real soon .... When we went to buy the Automatic compressor like I insisted , on getting to the Tokunbo shop , the sellers said they won't give me any warranty for the compressor, it's at owners risk ... Please what's you guys suggestions What happened to my Ac is it a packed up Compressor Should I go about getting the manual Compressor fitted
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by samuelson06(m): 8:22am On Dec 18, 2021
Kingsdave:
Car was parked for 10 months toyota camry 2009 XLE V6 .. the first day I drove it, noticed the AC is blowing hot air ... I immediately went for a refill , after the refill, the Cold air wasn't top notch, also the drivers vent was blowing warm air , but the other vents was blowing cold air ... The AC guy suggested my valve wasn't good , he suggested I should drive it around for a day and give him feedback, a day later all the vents started blowing hot air , I went back to his garage he removed the radiator and Condenser , he checked the Compressor , from his diagnosis he said the compressor is bad .. that it's turning almost at will ( free will) ... He suggested I should change the compressor and condenser also the valve. .. he suggested manual Compressor , that the Automatic compressor will pack up real soon .... When we went to buy the Automatic compressor like I insisted , on getting to the Tokunbo shop , the sellers said they won't give me any warranty for the compressor, it's at owners risk ... Please what's you guys suggestions What happened to my Ac is it a packed up Compressor Should I go about getting the manual Compressor fitted

I'm not a technician but I've had a problem with my AC before and it sounds similar to mine.

If the compressor still engages the engine when you put on the AC, then the problem may not come from there but the Evaporator. Ask the technician to remove the Evaporator and take it for test to see if it still works.

Usually, they'd deep the Evaporator inside clean water with the nozzles outside and then pump air into it while blocking the other side. If you see bubbles coming out from the water, then the Evaporator is bad, else it's working fine.

The Evaporator is located under the dashboard so the whole of that steering area would have to be dropped.

If you wish to try this option, please work with a highly competent technician and be around to monitor the process.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Peppermintflav: 7:12pm On Dec 18, 2021
Kingsdave:
Seek second opinion from another ac tech. Those sellers don't give guarantee on automatic compressor due to some reasons best known to them.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by easysunny(m): 7:21am On Dec 19, 2021
Pls house help! My car, 2008 Honda Pilot recently brings out blue smoke from exhaust when I accelerate. I recently changed engine oil, that was on October. I used Hardex 5w20.
However, I didn't use the car often because I wasn't around. It was mostly packed.
NB: I used the same Hardex 5W20 earlier & didn't have any such issue.
Aside the blue smoke coming out from the exhaust, no other issue seen.

What could cause the blue smoke coming out?
Do I need to change the oil again?
What should I do?

Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:51am On Dec 19, 2021
Kingsdave:

poor diagnosis.

Very poor
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:52am On Dec 19, 2021
easysunny:
Pls house help! My car, 2008 Honda Pilot recently brings out blue smoke from exhaust when I accelerate. I recently changed engine oil, that was on October. I used Hardex 5w20.
However, I didn't use the car often because I wasn't around. It was mostly packed.

What should I do?

Thanks

20w50 will reduce the smoke
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by easysunny(m): 11:09am On Dec 19, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

20w50 will reduce the smoke

Can I use 20w50 against the recommended oil 5w20 written on the seal? Will 20w50 be OK for Honda pilot?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:15pm On Dec 19, 2021
easysunny:

Can I use 20w50 against the recommended oil 5w20 written on the seal? Will 20w50 be OK for Honda pilot?

Recommended has left the chat. You are currently sitting with salvage, and discussing present situations.

You can still check the PCV if it is blocked, but not very likely
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Conner44: 1:18pm On Dec 19, 2021
k2kay:
Some one pls help before my village people finally succeed on this car, I drive a 2005 Honda Accord. The problem is I remove the battery whenever travelling to places in which the roads are quite bad. When I return and start fixing the battery, the car attempts to and sometimes start on its own with the key in my pocket! What could warrant this

Your car might have been installed with a remote engine starter by its previous oyibo owners. You can either remove it totally or reconnect it properly if you wish to utilize it again
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Conner44: 1:39pm On Dec 19, 2021
easysunny:

What should I do?

Thanks

You said you used the same hardex oil before without issues right? Changed it out at October and then parked it for a while before finding out that it’s puffing out blue smoke?

I’d hazard a guess that one or more of your piston rings is stuck or your pcv valve is bad. To rule out the rings sticking you will have to perform a leak down test on all the cylinders just before you perform your next oil change

Do not change to a higher weight of engine oil until you’ve pinpointed a bad cylinder wall as the actual cause of your oil burn.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kingsdave(m): 1:53pm On Dec 19, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

poor diagnosis.

Very poor

What's your suggestion?? What's the solution?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Kingsdave(m): 1:55pm On Dec 19, 2021
Peppermintflav:

Seek second opinion from another ac tech. Those sellers don't give guarantee on automatic compressor due to some reasons best known to them.
Thanks I will do that
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by k2kay(m): 2:13pm On Dec 19, 2021
Conner44:

Your car might have been installed with a remote engine starter by its previous oyibo owners. You can either remove it totally or reconnect it properly if you wish to utilize it again
Any idea how it can be removed or connected properly? Thanks.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Conner44: 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2021
k2kay:

Any idea how it can be removed or connected properly? Thanks.

Talk to a seasoned auto electrician and he’d know what to do
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:16pm On Dec 19, 2021
Conner44:

You said you used the same hardex oil before without issues right? Changed it out at October and then parked it for a while before finding out that it’s puffing out blue smoke?

I’d hazard a guess that one or more of your piston rings is stuck or your pcv valve is bad. To rule out the rings sticking you will have to perform a leak down test on all the cylinders just before you perform your next oil change

Do not change to a higher weight of engine oil until you’ve pinpointed a bad cylinder wall as the actual cause of your oil burn.

Your thoughts?

July 2020

easysunny:
Pls house, I need advice.
1. Does changing brand of engine oil affects the engine?
I want to change my car engine oil. The car is Honda Pilot. I used Mobil 1 5W-20 Advance Full Synthetic motor oil, but intend to change to another brand with the same 5W-20 but relatively cheaper.
2. Or must I stick to Mobil 1that's currently in the engine?
3. Which genuine brand do you recommend? Cheaper than mobil 1.
4. The price and where to buy in Lagos?

Thanks

July 2020

easysunny post=91386516:

1. No top up in-between. Only changed the oil 6 months ago.

2. No leakage of engine oil from the engine.

3. Interval of 6 months. Only changed it once since I bought the car ie about 6 months ago.

4. About 3000 + miles.

5. The present mileage is 160,315.

I don't use the car often. This will be my 2nd change of oil since I bought tokunbo.
I just notice that blue like smoke comes out from the exhaust when I raise the accelerator. It doesn't happen before like that.
Then I checked the oil percentage and it's 30%.
That's the reason i intend to change the oil since it's over 6 months now i changed the oil.

What's your advice based on these information?

Thanks

July 2020

easysunny:

Okay. Thanks for the advice.
Now, what do you suggest for me. Can I change to another brand other than mobil 1 but same 5W-20? Or must stick to the mobil 1?
I'm looking at the cost.
Any one to recommend to me?

Thanks

aug 2021

easysunny:
Greetings Gazzuz & other Ogas in the house.

Pls I need help. My 2008 Honda Pilot develop some problems.
The radiator fans stopped working unless I turn AC on. If the AC is on the fans will be working okay, but once AC is off, the fans will not spin.
This problem started when car AC worked on it. The AC man damaged the radiator when trying to remove compressor coil which he said spoiled. In order to remove the coil, he brought out the radiator & other parts. The opening that connect the gear oil hose was damaged. Without telling me he block the gear oil from entering the radiator. This resulted to car jerking & transmission overheating. It was discovered and the radiator was repaired and reconnected back properly.
Now, 2 days ago, I noticed that the fans are not working unless AC is On. If I on the engine without AC, the engine + radiator will be hot & bring out smoke as fan is not working. However, the temperature reading is still normal at middle.
I approached a Rewire at my area, after checking told me that the Thermostat has spoiled. That I've to REMOVE THE THERMOSTAT & RUN THE FAN DIRECTLY. But I refused because I've read that it's not advisable to remove Thermostat.
Now, for me to use the car, the AC must be On so that the fans can work.

Pls, what could be the problem & how to fix it?

Thanks

aug 2021

easysunny:

Yes. I've used mobile 1 5w20. Then used Stallion 1 5w20. But I'm thinking of changing to Hardex 5w20. I heard it's Okay. Mobile 1 price is high & most often scarce. Hardex is relatively cheaper to mobile 1

aug 2021

easysunny:

Yes. I've used mobile 1 5w20. Then used Stallion 1 5w20. But I'm thinking of changing to Hardex 5w20. I heard it's Okay. Mobile 1 price is high & most often scarce. Hardex is relatively cheaper to mobile 1

DEC 2021

easysunny:

What should I do?

Thanks

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2021
Kingsdave:

What's your suggestion?? What's the solution?

Kingsdave:

You parked a functional vehicle for 10 months and the AC was not working when you came back ( a leak), refilled and all vents were not as cold as should be and became warm next day (a leak) At this point find leak. 3 possibilities .

Compressor shaft seal ( can be checked manually without any equipment)

Pipes ( visual inspection can be used and soap suds)

Evaporator unit. ( You can actually smell refrigerant in the cabin if leak is that fast)

Standard I would use a vacuum machine and my digital pressure gauge to find the leak very easily, but not every one has fancy equipment.

I do not think your compressor is bad. Find the leak, fix, oil the compressor , replace the O rings, joints, vacuum and recharge properly (0.7-0.8kg of refrigerant)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by osato45: 4:45pm On Dec 19, 2021
Abeg why e be say my car ac when I just recharge on friday here dey only cool well for morning and night. In the afternoon if the sun is out and hot it isn't as cold. The car na v6 2006 honda accord
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Conner44: 4:58pm On Dec 19, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Your thoughts?

Ahhh shocked easysunny na wah oh. As at a year and a half ago you once posted of seeing same blue smoke exiting your exhaust system. Why didn’t you mention this information before?

If truly you’ve only been using the 5w20 weight of whatever oils you buy on your engine since purchase then I’d advise you to switch to a well known synthetic 5w30 brand and then add a can of liquimoly MoS2 anti-friction engine oil treatment in your next oil change and observe your exhaust and oil levels too.

I suggest you rule out any cylinder wall damages or subtle oil leaks by running your engine with the liquimoly additive first before thinking of using heavier weight oils or attempting an engine rebuild or swap

Gazzuzz thanks for the exposè

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Conner44: 4:59pm On Dec 19, 2021
osato45:
Abeg why e be say my car ac when I just recharge on friday here dey only cool well for morning and night. In the afternoon if the sun is out and hot it isn't as cold. The car na v6 2006 honda accord

Low Freon or weak compressor
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by osato45: 5:08pm On Dec 19, 2021
Conner44:

Low Freon or weak compressor
I dey suspect that compressor sha because I just refilled it 3 days ago.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by easysunny(m): 9:20pm On Dec 19, 2021
Conner44:

Ahhh shocked easysunny na wah oh. As at a year and a half ago you once posted of seeing same blue smoke exiting your exhaust system. Why didn’t you mention this information before?

If truly you’ve only been using the 5w20 weight of whatever oils you buy on your engine since purchase then I’d advise you to switch to a well known synthetic 5w30 brand and then add a can of liquimoly MoS2 anti-friction engine oil treatment in your next oil change and observe your exhaust and oil levels too.

I suggest you rule out any cylinder wall damages or subtle oil leaks by running your engine with the liquimoly additive first before thinking of using heavier weight oils or attempting an engine rebuild or swap

Gazzuzz thanks for the exposè

Yes, I had similar issue then, but after changing oil, it stopped.
I've only be using 5w20 though with different brands, viz mobile 1, Stallion & Harden.
The earlier oil used before this latest change is the same Hardex 5w20. And there was no experience of blue smoke. That's why I continued with the Hardex. I'm surprised to see the blue smoke as I changed the oil this October.

I'll follow this your advice. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:38pm On Dec 19, 2021
Noyerd2:
I found out that my break became so soft and wasn’t holding well again, dash board already shows Break Light and I noticed break oil was leaking all over the rear wheel on driver side after I parked to check around the car, what do I fix here pls

Pls I will like to also know what engine oil is the recommended oil for Corolla 2004

Remove the tyre, you will find the leak.

Recommended oil is what you have been using, just get a good brand

(1) (2) (3) ... (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) ... (511) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.