Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,077 members, 7,821,707 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). (102470 Views)

Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails / How Many Rabbits Do You See? / get Rabbits and guinea pigs healthy ones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by baba11(m): 10:38pm On Jul 04, 2014
^^me,boss ke!?I dey laugh oooo,I'm just using my olden days' knowledge,no hard feeling my master, if I want to rear it now,the only challenge I can have is marketability... I humble oooo,bros!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by baba11(m): 10:39pm On Jul 04, 2014
^^me,boss ke!?I dey laugh oooo,I'm just using my olden days' knowledge,no hard feeling my master, if I want to rear it now,the only challenge I can have is marketability... I humble oooo,bros!
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by baba11(m): 10:39pm On Jul 04, 2014
^^me,boss ke!?I dey laugh oooo,I'm just using my olden days' knowledge,no hard feeling my master, if I want to rear it now,the only challenge I can have is marketability... I humble oooo,bros
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 11:09pm On Jul 04, 2014
baba11: pls explain, what I know is that when u touch their new born babies, the mother will not go near it again
That is only likely to happen if u touch a dog, cat etc b4 touching the baby. It is advisable to rub ur hand on the mother 1st so that the babies will smell like the mother.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 10:49am On Jul 05, 2014
Is it bad to give crossed rabbit livestock multivitamin? Its urine was very dark.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ICEKID334(m): 3:14pm On Jul 05, 2014
baba11: We reared it when I was still much younger(abt 20yrs ago) because of this I want to contribute to this tread In my own little way:to rear rabbit,you need male and female type and they are a very delicate animal,their cage should be devoid of any ant which can sting them,their surrounding should be very clean to prevent diseases.They used to eat wooden casing when they are hungry,when they're mating,they do so with much agility,they are much more resistant to disease s if u do the aforesaid,they have a lot of hair covering their body,when they are about to give birth,they pull off most of their hair to insulate the babies...
They eat milk-like grass and one particular grass with flower ontop!!!!!
u mean this?

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ICEKID334(m): 3:19pm On Jul 05, 2014
dyoungforester: Sorry dgr.. I'm unable to see d prototype pics of your cage. I'm also good @ building cage for rabbit. Quess what one of my rabbit parturated to 5kits in her first birth... And u can hand pick your newbabes rabbits with your bear hands without d mother harming the babes by making necessary steps do u know that.
bros, wich other common food do dy eat? I mean things like corn, casava or d leave, yam or any human food?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by baba11(m): 5:49pm On Jul 05, 2014
FarmTech:
That is only likely to happen if u touch a dog, cat etc b4 touching the baby. It is advisable to rub ur hand on the mother 1st so that the babies will smell like the mother.
thanks @ Mr farm... grin
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by baba11(m): 5:54pm On Jul 05, 2014
I think for any rabbit farmer to have a success ful sale,he has to devise various ways to do this,if you don't mind,I'll like to give u step by step in which we can do these depending on location.Should I continue!??
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by RealChris(m): 7:45pm On Jul 05, 2014
baba11: I think for any rabbit farmer to have a success ful sale,he has to devise various ways to do this,if you don't mind,I'll like to give u step by step in which we can do these depending on location.Should I continue!??

Yes, continue from the starting point.... Pls include picx for more n better understanding... Thanks
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by baba11(m): 9:15pm On Jul 05, 2014
RealChris:

Yes, continue from the starting point.... Pls include picx for more n better understanding... Thanks
No pix ooo,I'm yet to begin rearing it for market,it's only my past knowledge I'm going to use...I'm open to correction from u my Ogas in the house...No one is an island!!!!
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by stanzo: 3:35pm On Jul 09, 2014
AIdyl Farms, Orozo, Abuja is advertising for the positions of a Farm Manager and Farm Hands. Interested applicants should visit their website at www.aidylfarms.com for details.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 9:06am On Jul 10, 2014
baba11: No pix ooo,I'm yet to begin rearing it for market,it's only my past knowledge I'm going to use...I'm open to correction from u my Ogas in the house...No one is an island!!!!
Continue my bro, do ur best, others too can share their own knowledge.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by baba11(m): 4:31pm On Jul 10, 2014
samshoz: Continue my bro, do ur best, others too can share their own knowledge.
okay
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 9:55pm On Jul 14, 2014
My rabbit urine is white, Why is that?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 7:58am On Jul 15, 2014
It is a normal thing for your rabbit urine to be whitish in colour I.e milky white or due to their intake
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ruxton06(m): 9:08am On Jul 15, 2014
samshoz: My rabbit urine is white, Why is that?
Too much calcium intake.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 10:40am On Jul 15, 2014
ruxton06:
Too much calcium intake.
I read so too online, though I give some little multivitamin but I stopped it.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 10:44am On Jul 15, 2014
ICEKID334: u mean this?
No, just Google d names of plants mentioned initially and click on image search on Google.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ayodejy05(m): 2:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
baba11: We reared it when I was still much younger(abt 20yrs ago) because of this I want to contribute to this tread In my own little way:to rear rabbit,you need male and female type and they are a very delicate animal,their cage should be devoid of any ant which can sting them,their surrounding should be very clean to prevent diseases.They used to eat wooden casing when they are hungry,when they're mating,they do so with much agility,they are much more resistant to disease s if u do the aforesaid,they have a lot of hair covering their body,when they are about to give birth,they pull off most of their hair to insulate the babies...
They eat milk-like grass and one particular grass with flower ontop!!!!!what do u have to say about this Bros!??

You're absolutely right.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ruxton06(m): 2:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
samshoz: I read so too online, though I give some little multivitamin but I stopped it.
Solution is to reduce calcium source ( limestone or oyster shell) in the feed or change to growers' mash incase you're giving them layers' mash.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 3:38pm On Jul 15, 2014
ruxton06:
Solution is to reduce calcium source ( limestone or oyster shell) in the feed or change to growers' mash incase you're giving them layers' mash.
Thanks bro. Is it okay to leave its light on at night?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 9:57pm On Jul 15, 2014
samshoz: Thanks bro. Is it okay to leave its light on at night?
14hr light is good for both males and females.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ruxton06(m): 10:00pm On Jul 15, 2014
samshoz: Thanks bro. Is it okay to leave its light on at night?
No need except you need to provide heat for it. Not necessary anyway.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ruxton06(m): 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2014
FarmTech:
14hr light is good for both males and females.
Only required if kept in a room or enclosed cage. If in the open, normal daylight should be ok.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 5:33am On Jul 16, 2014
Thanks guys.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 11:01pm On Jul 16, 2014
ruxton06:
Only required if kept in a room or enclosed cage. If in the open, normal daylight should be ok.
Not so. Daylenght here is just about 12 hrs, so he needs to add additional 2hrs of light. Even if kept in room or enclosed cage, they're still exposed to the influence of daylight.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ewizard1: 6:48pm On Jul 26, 2014
Glad to find this thread...

I love rabbits with Passion and i just bought 2 (Male n Female) from an Aboki i saw passing by on my street.
I dont know the breeds, neither do i know how old they are but i am very sure they are still babies. They are both PLAIN WHITE in color.

I need help on how to rear this animals.
Can they stay in my room, cause i presently have the hopping around on my rug.
What local food/grass can i feed them with.
How often i should feed them and also the enviroment care.

Thanks.

NOTE : I bought as a pet as i would sometimes carry them like babies. grin

I would share pictures of them soon. I petnamed them RONNY(Male) & BELLA(Female)

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 8:34am On Jul 31, 2014
@ Wizard, nice job as a rabbit lover, but for the species of rabbit since it plain white it is new Zealand white with pink eyes but if all plain with little black batches beneath the back and ear and likewise the eyes will be black it is beveren. So you can give them tridax leave, pawpaw leave, vegetables, elephant grass, or concentrate pelletized feeds and u can feed them twice in a day with enough water . since you said you bought it from aboki it may be bush rabbit ( hare). But all the same we are good to go. Sorry for replying you late. DYoung Forester.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 9:01am On Jul 31, 2014
If you are scare or worry that your rabbit is getting fat due to excess concentrate feeds, here is the steps to burn away the fat and make your rabbit to be more productive.
1stly remove or reduce the concentrated feeds with enough water.
2. Start giving your rabbits hays to burn the fat for some weeks but some will eat little grass and want to demand for more concentrate since they are used to it. But don't mind it and give them little concentrate and more grass.
3. The grasses are Tridax pocumben(Tridax), pawpaw leaves ( Caripa papaya), elephant grass, guinea grass, e.t.c.
4. After some weeks check the weight by physical look or by weighing,.
5. All work is done and just continue to make your rabbit happy and remember the love of rabbit is the love of good returns either for money or meat. Dyoung forester.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 5:52pm On Jul 31, 2014
dyoungforester: @ Wizard, nice job as a rabbit lover, but for the species of rabbit since it plain white it is new Zealand white with pink eyes but if all plain with little black batches beneath the back and ear and likewise the eyes will be black it is beveren. So you can give them tridax leave, pawpaw leave, vegetables, elephant grass, or concentrate pelletized feeds and u can feed them twice in a day with enough water . since you said you bought it from aboki it may be bush rabbit ( hare). But all the same we are good to go. Sorry for replying you late. DYoung Forester.
Good job @ dyoungforester, I wanted to ask you this question on whatsapp before but no need anymore. This is what I was emphasizing in conversation on whatsapp. Well done, keep it coming when chanced.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ewizard1: 6:13pm On Jul 31, 2014
dyoungforester: @ Wizard, nice job as a rabbit lover, but for the species of rabbit since it plain white it is new Zealand white with pink eyes but if all plain with little black batches beneath the back and ear and likewise the eyes will be black it is beveren. So you can give them tridax leave, pawpaw leave, vegetables, elephant grass, or concentrate pelletized feeds and u can feed them twice in a day with enough water . since you said you bought it from aboki it may be bush rabbit ( hare). But all the same we are good to go. Sorry for replying you late. DYoung Forester.

Thanks dyoungforester, Yes, i have the NZW as i have googled it. I have been feeding them with junks (Bread, Rice grains, Carrot etc) all this while and i really feel guilty, the problem is that i dont know where to get these Grass/Vegetables.

I will like to know what HAY is and how i can get it.

I;m reading this http://www.crossroadsrabbitry.com/about-new-zealand-white-rabbits/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

World's Biggest Cow Escapes Slaughter Because It's Too Big To Fit In Abattoir / The Fast Money Making Machine Crop In Pictures You Can Start Now!!. / A Farmer Killed Huge Python In His Farm In Rivers State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.