Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,735 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). (102452 Views)

Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails / How Many Rabbits Do You See? / get Rabbits and guinea pigs healthy ones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by whitecat007: 4:30pm On Aug 01, 2014
Long throat! Humans should stick with fish, beef and chicken, and leave bunny alone, haba! Those cuties make great pets and avoid ebola.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by fatukay(m): 6:01pm On Aug 01, 2014
The yoruba name for rabbit is Ehoro! I think that's correct smiley
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by stanzo: 8:03pm On Aug 01, 2014
Natural rabbit hutches at Aidyl Farms, Orozo, Abuja

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by stanzo: 8:05pm On Aug 01, 2014
Natural rabbit hutches

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by stanzo: 8:07pm On Aug 01, 2014
Feeding time at Aidyl Farms, Abuja

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by stanzo: 8:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
Adult rabbit at Aidyl Farms

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 8:57pm On Aug 01, 2014
whitecat007: Long throat! Humans should stick with fish, beef and chicken, and leave bunny alone, haba! Those cuties make great pets and avoid ebola.
Rabbit is a farm animal and is eaten all over the world. In some places they're pests, not pets and they cause serious havoc to crops. One man's meat may be another man's poison.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 9:09pm On Aug 01, 2014
olumzzz: ONE WORD........
#EBOLA............
Rabbit meat kor Bunny meat ni
Misconception. What we're discussing here is not bush meat, but farm-raised rabbits. Where will they get the ebola from? I'm nt saying it is impossible for farm-raised rabbits to get it, but then other farm-raised animals like cattle etc can also get it.

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 9:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
dyoungforester: Kudos to all my rabbit lovers;
now grasscutter vs rabbit which one is better to rear.To me apart from being a rabbit lover, rabbit rearing pays better than Grasscutter rearing. My reason
1st. Rabbit is easy to domesticate than a grasscutter in terms of facilities like building of cages requirements. Money for acquisition i.e purchasing for instance grasscutter is sold in colony or family which mean 4 female and 1 male but not matured one at the rate of 45k unlike a rabbit where u can establish rabbitry with just 10 mature female and 2 or 3 male with less expensive housing unlike grasscutter.
2; Grasscutter are all wild and not friendly like a rabbit
3; Gestation period of grasscutter is 45 day or more unlike rabbit 28 - 32 max 35 days
4. In terms of litters i.e kit, rabbit is the first ranging from 5 kits 12kits with my experience while grasscutter is ranging 2 to 5 kits hardly 7kits. E.t.c as you can see rabbit rearing is the best.
As you can see start one now and enjoy the happiness of it. One love rabbit lovers, one love dyoungforester.
Motto- breeding to be the best.
And remember the love of rabbit is the love of good returns. Stay bless.
Is the gestation period for grasscutter really 45 days? I though it is much more longer than that.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ab3458(m): 9:17pm On Aug 01, 2014
stanzo: Natural rabbit hutches
please I will like to visit your farm someday, hope you don't mind
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 9:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
dasparrow: Don't forget, rabbits love carrots and gnawing on carrots is good for their ever growing teeth.
Anything high in starch/sugar will kill a rabbit in large amt, and carrot is included. Feed ur rabbits lots of carrot and watch the rate at which they'll die. U may find it difficult to believe bc of popular cartoons that associate carrots with rabbits. But do a simple search in google and you'll see wot i mean.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 9:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
dasparrow: Don't forget, rabbits love carrots and gnawing on carrots is good for their ever growing teeth.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 9:57pm On Aug 01, 2014
ewizard1: Glad to find this thread...

I love rabbits with Passion and i just bought 2 (Male n Female) from an Aboki i saw passing by on my street.
I dont know the breeds, neither do i know how old they are but i am very sure they are still babies. They are both PLAIN WHITE in color.

I need help on how to rear this animals.
Can they stay in my room, cause i presently have the hopping around on my rug.
What local food/grass can i feed them with.
How often i should feed them and also the enviroment care.

Thanks.

NOTE : I bought as a pet as i would sometimes carry them like babies. grin

I would share pictures of them soon. I petnamed them RONNY(Male) & BELLA(Female)
I have one advice for you: dont feed them anything that's high in starch/sugar. This include fruits, carrots, etc. If you'll feed at all, feed very little. 3 teaspoon of fruit juice may even be too much sugar for an adult rabbit! High starch/sugar can lead to death!
Also, dont feed them with wet grass. Dont cut grass in the morning, allow them to dry first bc wet grass can lead to a serious condition called bloating. This can lead to death. NOTE: this is wrong. Wet grass isn't dangerous for rabbits. I made a mistake. The dangerous thing is if you cut grass and leave it in a pile (i.e. In a bunch or with one grass on another). In a pile, the grass will ferment and become dangerous for rabbits. It upset their stomach and can lead to death.
Feed them with lots of hay, it's good for wearing down their ever-growing teeth.
Goodluck.

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by delishpot: 10:08pm On Aug 01, 2014
Nice work Op. With Ebola virus scare rabbit meat can be smoked and dried to replace bush meat. I will definitely try it.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ewizard1: 10:54pm On Aug 01, 2014
FarmTech:
I have one advice for you: dont feed them anything that's high in starch/sugar. This include fruits, carrots, etc. If you'll feed at all, feed very little. 3 teaspoon of fruit juice may even be too much sugar for an adult rabbit! High starch/sugar can lead to death!
Also, dont feed them with wet grass. Dont cut grass in the morning, allow them to dry first bc wet grass can lead to a serious condition called bloating. This can lead to death.
Feed them with lots of hay, it's good for wearing down their ever-growing teeth.
Goodluck.

Thanks, I really appreciate. Being wondering where I can get this HAY in Lagos....
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 6:41am On Aug 02, 2014
1st image. Oscar(white) newzealand white and Debenson(black) chinchilla respectively by name.
These two rabbits is my beloved friends among all but they are quite very active in terms of mating.
Don't be scared if your rabbit is infected by the following diseases known to you like
1. Manages very common in rabbit which first start from their claws to the tip of their month and the tips of their ear. Causes unclean environment and too Much of stagnant water beneath their cages. Solution just an injection is needed to cure this my just your self so easy to do. The name of the drug is ....
2. Foot sore is a bacteria disease which can affect rabbits due to their housing and unclean water intake. Solution Antibacterial drugs is needed to give them and the symptoms of the diseases will be indicated in middle of their legs swallowing up in reddish form mustly at the back legs before transferring to the front legs.
3. Diarrhea I.e watering faeces causes too much of concentrate feeds, 2. giving then wet or a just cut hays . solution just give them dry grasses but not too dry e.t.c. but give your rabbit pawpaw leaves, moringa leaves all this is more authentical than anything for the healthy live of your rabbit..... All these infection are not too dreadly but care must been taken.thanks DYoung forester. Add on whatapps or BBM 7AOC377E. 1st image. Oscar(white) newzealand white and Debenson(black) chinchilla respectively by name.
These two rabbits is my beloved friends among all but they are quite very active in terms of mating.
Don't be scared if your rabbit is infected by the following diseases known to you like
1. Manages very common in rabbit which first start from their claws to the tip of their month and the tips of their ear. Causes unclean environment and too Much of stagnant water beneath their cages. Solution just an injection is needed to cure this my just your self so easy to do. The name of the drug is ....
2. Foot sore is a bacteria disease which can affect rabbits due to their housing and unclean water intake. Solution Antibacterial drugs is needed to give them and the symptoms of the diseases will be indicated in middle of their legs swallowing up in reddish form mustly at the back legs before transferring to the front legs.
3. Diarrhea I.e watering faeces causes too much of concentrate feeds, 2. giving then wet or a just cut hays . solution just give them dry grasses but not too dry e.t.c. but give your rabbit pawpaw leaves, moringa leaves all this is more authentical than anything for the healthy live of your rabbit..... All these infection are not too dreadly but care must been taken.thanks DYoung forester. Add on whatapps or BBM 7AOC377E. One love.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 8:05am On Aug 02, 2014
This Is the image Of Oscar and deBensON. The naME For tHe. Injection of MaNges in raBbits is IVERMECTIN. Injection
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Lusola15: 4:02pm On Aug 02, 2014
grin grin grin
Rexxie:

umm...wheres the pic of that main bunny,suarez?

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by stanzo: 4:52pm On Aug 02, 2014
ab3458: please I will like to visit your farm someday, hope you don't mind
You are welcome. The farm is open to anybody to visit. Farmers, aspiring farmers, students and even tourists are welcome grin. Aidyl Farms is an integrated farm.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 02, 2014
How u get to know that
boitz:

I think they look like giant Rats and they smell bad!! undecided
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ewizard1: 8:44pm On Aug 02, 2014
I think I found elephant grass by the road side close to my place. Getting enough asap....
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 9:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
ewizard1:

Thanks, I really appreciate. Being wondering where I can get this HAY in Lagos....
Hay simply means dry grass. So u can make tons of it by urself.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 9:30pm On Aug 02, 2014
stanzo:
You are welcome. The farm is open to anybody to visit. Farmers, aspiring farmers, students and even tourists are welcome grin. Aidyl Farms is an integrated farm.
What and what makes ur farm integrated? Pls I'll like to know.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by vislabraye(m): 10:39pm On Aug 02, 2014
dyoungforester: Rabbit is the 2rd prolific domestic animal that can partuate to 1-24 litters after pig.

Rabbit can live 8-12 years in wild and captivities respectively.

Rabbit gestation period is average 28-32 days ... wow.

Rabbit meat is lower in fat,cholesterol and calories than chicken, pork, and beef and therefore heart patient friendly

Rabbit meat is all white meat.

Rabbit dropping makes an excellent garden fertilizer,

Hey read this... Rabbit can produce 6 pounds of meat on the same feed and water as the cow will produce 1 pound of the same feeds and water.
So as you can see there are many health benefits to eating rabbit meat. It is healthy for you and cheap to produce. Why not try to incorporate some rabbit meat.
For purchase of rabbit, or for more enquiring Contact no 07066444540.
Motto: Breeding to be the best.

So much similar to the grasscutter and grasscuter is more popular.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ab3458(m): 10:44pm On Aug 02, 2014
stanzo:
please I will need your contact tnx
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 11:01pm On Aug 02, 2014
Read this...
How to COUNTER MORTALITY in your rabbits farm or in a rabbitry.
1st step. Note the date when you cross your rabbit or when you service it.
2rd steps. As usual gestation period of rabbit starts from 28 to 32days after counting or monitoring the number of days until when reaches 28days.
3rd steps. On the 28days put the rabbit's kndling box inside the cage and starts reducing its feeds but with a enough water in replace of it reduction in feeds.
4th Steps. Precisely on the 32 days it may parturate I.e give birth on the wire mesh because most of the rabbits like giving birth on the wire mesh most especially this occurs in the morning or late evening.
5th steps. After seeing all the precious kits or litters on the wire mesh then use your hands to handpicks it with the mother's furs in your hands inside the kindling box and provide adequate feeds for your rabbit and water because it is essential for them. See it is easy to do.
Note. Act of giving birth in rabbits is called KINDLING. Then after giving birth is terms as KINDLED.
Motto: Breeding to be the best.
For more information or for purchase called the dyoungforester on 07066444540.thanks and remember the love of rabbits is the love of good returns.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ewizard1: 11:10pm On Aug 02, 2014
FarmTech:
Hay simply means dry grass. So u can make tons of it by urself.
Thanks...
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by ewizard1: 11:18pm On Aug 02, 2014
ewizard1: I think I found elephant grass by the road side close to my place. Getting enough asap....

Oh! I am very pleased tonight... You need to see how happy i am to see my Lovely Bunnies munch their Crunchy Elephant Grass . I have never seen them enjoy any feed like that. They were even snatching from each other . Yes, Elephant Grass NOTED!!!.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by boluwajokosegun: 8:05am On Aug 04, 2014
We are selling Frozen rabbits meat in suppermart & local shops...sorry i will not mention the location for now.
There are so many value added products of rabbit meat that can be done if people can think fast & turn it to a regular sources of income.

I want to team up with those who can do a project on it very soon & bring out at least 5 different products from it by settig up a courtage industry that will produce , process , package and distribute to an existing market in the country.

I tell you the future of agric is processing.

If you are interested please call me on 08182355047 or whatsApp: 08182355047

All l need is just 5 serous minded people. There are rabbits that weigh 10kg at 7 months, some weigh 25kg at 10 months, some 7kg at 8 months while other 4kg at 7 months. A good research work will be done to get the breed that can meet the demand at a good profit margin.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 11:18am On Aug 04, 2014
dasparrow:

So why is there no Ebola in the western world? I ask this because I know several oyibos who keep rabbits as pets. They rear them mainly as household pets and not for food consumption. Many of these pet rabbits live in the home with their owners although in their cages and are sometimes allowed to roam within the house. How come Ebola is not dealing with the oyibos in the western world? I thought some people claim Ebola is carried by bats? Anyways, na Jehovah God dey protect persin.

@Post

Thanks for this thread. I have been having rabbits on my mind lately. I love rabbits though I have never reared one in my life before. I intend getting a pet rabbit someday. I am not interested in raising them for food consumption or for sale. I just want to keep them as pets. When I am ready, I intend to get the Netherland dwarf rabbit. They make excellent house pets and come in different colors. They are cute and like their name implies, they don't grow too big but rather remain small. I have attached pictures of these wonderful specie of rabbits. I doubt you can find them in Nigeria though but then again we never know.
I think you can get d second one pix(golden brown).
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 12:30pm On Aug 05, 2014
Billygee2u:
I think putting light bulbs are of no use.In my experience ,rain beating and much hot environment is not good for them.they like cool environment most .I kept my tabbits in a cage room which I made for them in my penthouse on top of 3 floor house ,but
latter discovered that they love a largely place to run around and play.
I then removed the door ,they became more lively and friendly .during cold weather here their hairy body looks very good .I fed them with fresh vegetables everyday.I did not give them water and gives them feeds once in 2 months because I love their meat when it's natural . They can survive in any weather as long as you avoid rain beating them.Their meat is really nice to eat.
Won't their urine and poop/droppings stench filter in to your apartment?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

World's Biggest Cow Escapes Slaughter Because It's Too Big To Fit In Abattoir / The Fast Money Making Machine Crop In Pictures You Can Start Now!!. / A Farmer Killed Huge Python In His Farm In Rivers State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.