Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). (102458 Views)

Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails / How Many Rabbits Do You See? / get Rabbits and guinea pigs healthy ones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by clemigho(m): 1:09pm On Aug 05, 2014
stanzo: Natural rabbit hutches at Aidyl Farms, Orozo, Abuja
please where in Orozo precisely are you located as am in Abuja and I would love to pay a visit. Thanks
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by stanzo: 10:16pm On Aug 09, 2014
FarmTech:
What and what makes ur farm integrated? Pls I'll like to know.
Please visit our website at www.aidylfarms.com and you will find everything you want to know about the farm. You can also visit Google for the answer to your question. If you are not satisfied, visit the farm for practical demonstration and explanation. (That is if you are not trying to be clever by half).
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by stanzo: 10:23pm On Aug 09, 2014
clemigho:
please where in Orozo precisely are you located as am in Abuja and I would love to pay a visit. Thanks
Please, visit the website at www.aidylfarms.com for all our contact details and directions.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 7:05pm On Aug 15, 2014
stanzo:
Please, visit the website at www.aidylfarms.com for all our contact details and directions.
dyoung, stanzo and others, kindly upload pix of each rabbit breed(in your rabbitry/farm) with their name/description, inorder to be able to identify them.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Mrpulse911(m): 2:34pm On Sep 04, 2014
Olusanya333: while people are loving humans my friend here is falling in love with Rabbit(bushmeat)
What is dis one saying? #smh
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Olusanya333(m): 7:45pm On Sep 04, 2014
Mrpulse911:
What is dis one saying? #smh
you no see my signature?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Mrpulse911(m): 9:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Mrpulse911(m): 2:20pm On Sep 16, 2014
I bought a New Zealand White yesterday. And with d advice of d farmer I fed it waterleaf and another particulare plant. But i'll like to know if theres any place I can get the Alfalfa hay. Or timothy hay? Pls reply asap
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 7:15pm On Sep 16, 2014
Mrpulse911: I bought a New Zealand White yesterday. And with d advice of d farmer I fed it waterleaf and another particulare plant. But i'll like to know if theres any place I can get the Alfalfa hay. Or timothy hay? Pls reply asap
I dont think those hays are in nigeria. U can only find them in places like America. Hay is simply dry grass, so u can cut some grass, dry them and use it for dry season feeding. Rabbit will also benefit from the protein in moringa, ipil ipil etc.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 12:26pm On Sep 17, 2014
FarmTech:
I dont think those hays are in nigeria. U can only find them in places like America. Hay is simply dry grass, so u can cut some grass, dry them and use it for dry season feeding. Rabbit will also benefit from the protein in moringa, ipil ipil etc.
oga Henry, moringa powder or seed that is being sold? I am currently reading rabbit feeding with sweet potato forage(has protein) , a research by agric sci students in Texas.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 7:33pm On Sep 17, 2014
samshoz: oga Henry, moringa powder or seed that is being sold? I am currently reading rabbit feeding with sweet potato forage(has protein) , a research by agric sci students in Texas.
Not the powder, but the leaves. If u have access to the trees you feed the leaves to them.
Keep reading, you learn a lot that way if u apply what you read.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 8:47pm On Sep 17, 2014
FarmTech:
Not the powder, but the leaves. If u have access to the trees you feed the leaves to them.
Its hard to find that tree. But can buy the seed and plant mine?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 9:25pm On Sep 17, 2014
samshoz: Its hard to find that tree. But can buy the seed and plant mine?
That would be better.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samseen02(m): 1:41am On Sep 18, 2014
Good job @Op and FarmTech. If anybody here willing to start a rabbit farm business he/she should check this out before establishing the farm to know more about the farming technique http://www.wealthmeans..com.es/2013/06/rabbit-management.html
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 3:03pm On Sep 18, 2014
FarmTech:
That would be better.
Those hawked seeds would do?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by baba11(m): 3:44pm On Sep 20, 2014
samseen02: Good job @Op and FarmTech. If anybody here willing to start a rabbit farm business he/she should check this out before establishing the farm to know more about the farming technique http://www.wealthmeans..com.es/2013/06/rabbit-management.html
..I have checked your blog..very insightful,indeed...don't you have any other link to follow you apart from Google+ shocked
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by baba11(m): 3:47pm On Sep 20, 2014
FarmTech:
so what you are trying to infer is that I can feed rabbit wholly on moringa leaves...what about other supplements for its appropriate growth
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 8:29pm On Sep 20, 2014
baba11: so what you are trying to infer is that I can feed rabbit wholly on moringa leaves...what about other supplements for its appropriate growth
Feeding only one type of leave isn't sensible now, for better result you have to give varieties.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 8:31pm On Sep 20, 2014
samshoz: Those hawked seeds would do?
I don't really know. You may try it or ask sb in crop field.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by baba11(m): 9:21pm On Sep 20, 2014
FarmTech:
Feeding only one type of leave isn't sensible now, for better result you have to give varieties.
definitely but by what proportion
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 11:44pm On Sep 21, 2014
baba11: definitely but by what proportion
Better give what is available.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samseen02(m): 9:24am On Sep 22, 2014
baba11: ..I have checked your blog..very insightful,indeed...don't you have any other link to follow you apart from Google+ shocked
linkedIn profile [www.ng.linkedin.com/pub/agwu-iyke-samson/68/909/715/]

facebook page [www.facebook.com/phabulouzinternetservices). Thanks a lot!
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 11:44am On Sep 22, 2014
Well done oga henry and co. Am getting more informed.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 7:44pm On Sep 23, 2014
RABBIT PRODUCTION
Rabbit are very interesting and rewarding animals that can provide a great deal of pleasure and interest, whether kept in ones, and twos, or in hundreds. There are two main reasons why people keep rabbits in the tropics: as a source of food and/or as a source of income.
BENEFITS OF RABBIT PRODUCTION 1. Capital requirement is minimal. With some scrap wood or bamboo, a hutch can be constructed. 2. Spacing is minimal. It can be set up at backyard. 3. A rabbit is a convenient ‘one meal size’, thus avoiding the need for storage.
4. Rabbit keeping is not restricted by any taboos or particular beliefs that prevent the eating of rabbit meat or its promotion as food. 5. Feeding rabbits is very cheap. Even though supplementation with concentrate or grain is sometimes necessary and definitely will increase growth rate, roadside grass, kitchen offal, garden leaves, etc (feed of no direct value to humans). can provide the main feed at almost no cost. 6. Rabbits can be tended by women, children or men unlike bigger animals for it needs no force to be restrained. 7. Because they produce offspring regularly (gestation period of 28 – 32 days), they form a regular source of income instead of a large amount at once. 8. It matures for table between 5 -6 months, breeding (5 – 7 months) 9. Rabbit is a prolific animal. 10. Meat from rabbit is an all white meat product that is high in protein and low in fat, sodium and cholesterol as compared to other common meats, such as beef, lamb, pork and poultry. Rabbit meat has been recommended for years by some physicians to their patients with coronary heart conditions. 11. It is not a smelly or noisy animal and can easily be kept near to school buildings or people’s houses. 12. It produces rich manure for gardening or flower beds.
BREEDS OF RABBIT
Dutch: The dutch is a small breed with a mature live weight of 2.5-3.5kg. It has a wide white band of fur around its body at the shoulders as well as a white stripe down the middle of its face.
New Zealand White: This breed is used most widely throughout the world for meat production. It is all white in colour and usually weighs 3-5kg when mature.

New Zealand Red: This is essentially red but has not been intensively selected for growth rate. Mature live weight is 3-4.5kg.
Chinchilla: This breed is blue-grey in colour with a white belly. There is a thick fold of skin around the front of the chest which is very obvious when the rabbit is in good condition and sitting in a resting position. The weight range for the mature Chinchilla is 3-4.5kg
Californian: This is the second most popular breed for meat production. The colour is all white but with black tipping on the nose, ears, feet and tail. The weight range for the mature Californian is 3- 4.5kg.

These breeds can be divided into two for practical purpose without trying to make scientifically correct distinctions:
1. Fancy and Fur breeds These are not necessarily good meat producers, they do not have large litters nor are they resistant to diseases. They have nice skins, nice colours, funny ears etc. example is angora
2. Meat breeds These are also called utility breeds, either by a fast growth rate or large and frequent litters. It is necessary to make a further distinction based on weight. Light breeds (up to 2-3kg adult weight) Medium breeds (3-5kg) Heavy breeds (>5kg)
HOUSING AND EQUIPMENT Rabbit housing and equipment differ from country to country. Factors that affect their design include; 1. Climate 2. Raw materials (Availability and cost) 3. Scale (large or medium) and system of production (Intensive, Extensive or semi-intensive) 4. Expertise of the rabbit production
Housing requirement
Housing should be able to provide: Adequate space: Since rabbit spends its entire life in its hutch, it therefore needs sufficient space to avoid the stress caused by restriction of movement. Space should be able to provide good ventilation to prevent the animal from being choked up by ammonia (NH3) from their urine.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 7:45pm On Oct 07, 2014
some rabbits are to be sold at the dyoungforester farms for more details contact me on 07066444540. also on wattapps.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Mascotlawman: 12:40pm On Oct 08, 2014
@ Farmtech, actually, I noticed something in my rabbits, I tried to feed them with Letus and after feeding them, I noticed that they were purging serious, I stopped given them Letus. The purge stopped. After some weeks I bought Letus that I wanted to eat, after eating some of the Letus, the remaining ones I gave it to the rabbits. But to my amazement, the started purging again, unfortunately, one of them died. So to my understanding, I think Letus is not good for rabbits. My breed of rabbit is newzealand white. The one that died was weighing around 4kg. So Farmtech what can u say about that? We all are here to learn.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 3:48pm On Oct 08, 2014
regarding letus.... i know rabbit dont like leaves that contain a lot of water content in them some causes bloating or purging so sun dry first before giving them....
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 3:51pm On Oct 08, 2014
ATTENTION! ATTENTION!! ATTENTION!!!
Please for those who are interested in raising rabbit for meat productions, for pet, for school projects or practical purposes...Dyoungforester is highly delighted to bring to your notice that there are some good quality,healthy, beautiful available rabbits which are for sale at a cheaper rate and economical prize. For more details contact dyoungforester on 07066444540.....on wattapp.
Motto: Breeding to be the best....first come first serve bases. pls rbc.thanks.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by FarmTech(m): 1:45pm On Oct 13, 2014
Mascotlawman:
@ Farmtech, actually, I noticed something in my rabbits, I tried to feed them with Letus and after feeding them, I noticed that they were purging serious, I stopped given them Letus. The purge stopped. After some weeks I bought Letus that I wanted to eat, after eating some of the Letus, the remaining ones I gave it to the rabbits. But to my amazement, the started purging again, unfortunately, one of them died. So to my understanding, I think Letus is not good for rabbits. My breed of rabbit is newzealand white. The one that died was weighing around 4kg. So Farmtech what can u say about that? We all are here to learn.
Lettuce is not good in large quantities. Be very careful when u feed sth new to them. They can die if u just suddenly change their diet. So feed new feed in small amount and observe for any side effect.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dgitrader(m): 1:26pm On Oct 15, 2014
Mascotlawman:

wow, so unfortunate one died. but like previously ask, how did u serve d lettus? Fresh , dried or very dried? Also is it the whole or just the outter parts of the lettus? I am asking because i have access to huge collection of lettus and carbage especially during the dry season.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

World's Biggest Cow Escapes Slaughter Because It's Too Big To Fit In Abattoir / The Fast Money Making Machine Crop In Pictures You Can Start Now!!. / A Farmer Killed Huge Python In His Farm In Rivers State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.