Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,657 members, 7,809,483 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:26 AM

ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike (16693 Views)

ASUU Unijos Vows To Continue Strike Despite Presidential Directives / ASUU Vows To Continue Strike / Niger State Polytechnic ASSUP Vows To Continue Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by san316(m): 5:13am On Jun 29, 2014
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!! What are these people not saying? Been on strike for over a year and they are still resolving to contunu? Aren't they tired? If they're not, the students are. The strike has lasted long enough for a pgd, what the heck are these people nt saying?!!!!!
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by adeladex: 5:13am On Jun 29, 2014
I don't no why d African polticians find it difficult to resign if found incompetent
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by onihaxy: 6:11am On Jun 29, 2014
9months?,
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Nobody: 6:13am On Jun 29, 2014
wait for dem,dy will soon b here
see dea comment"apc is behind it dy want to fraustrate badluck hmmn sorry goodluck tenure"jonathan administration is a big record in nigeria history
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Nobody: 6:13am On Jun 29, 2014
And some fools 'll start saying Jonathan till their life collapse. Every sector is now suffering the hands of Jonathan. Asup strike is now over a year

#Give us Education#

2 Likes

Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Nobody: 6:26am On Jun 29, 2014

“The thing we are saying is that government should
be committed. When is it going to offset the arrears
of the salary scale CONTISS 15 it is owing since
2009?’’ he asked.
ASUP embarked on an indefinite strike in October
2013 to press home its demand for improvement in
the condition of service and infrastructure in
government-owned polytechnics, monotechnics
and colleges of technology.
It also demands that the Federal Government
should remove dichotomy between HND and degree
holders.
Other demands include the release of the White
Paper on the NEEDS assessment of polytechnics
and review of the Polytechnic Act by the National
Assembly, among others.
The government has met some of the demands,
including inauguration of governing councils and
setting up of the NEEDS assessment committees.
(NAN)

http://m.premiumtimesng.com/news/164051-asup-resolves-to-continue-strike.html

I have quoted the relevant part......and now here is the problem

When their colleagues in University went on strike last year, the aim was to get the N3 trillion promised in 2009. Govt hemmed and hawed until they told ASUU the truth....we do not have N3 trillion, instead take 1 trillion over 5 years.

The simple fact of the matter is that govt,both at state and at Federal level...especially at federal level,...has no extra cash for tertiary education. That is why they are setting up commitees....but on the salary arreas, the infrastructure and conditions of service...they are quiet.

Something tells me that on July 1st.....the govt is going to tell the ASUP that we have no money.....(Infact Minister of Education Barrister Wike in a report he gave to the Senate committee on education several weeks ago said that Wages and Salaries Commission rejected the proposed salary increase for Poly lecturers. You see where this is going)

And something tells me that by 2015.....polytechnic fees are going to shoot up.

Because....as I have said repeatedly about university education here , we have a situation where Rectors of polytechnics have to increase facilities, improve facilities and modernize. Especially as 1.) Students population is rising.... 2.) Now polys are going to become degree awarding institutions. And now that Govt has no money......

So, Nigerians, either you put pressure on your govt to find( an impossible) N10trillion for polytechnics now....or prepare to pay higher for polytechnic education. And I think that the latter is more likely. Because, corruption notwithstanding, we do not produce enough oil to break even. We can no longer sustain free or subsidized education. (Unless you want to take a World Bank loan...which will only make things worse down the line when said loan has to be repaid)

Because the honest fact is that it is only oil producers with populations less than 15 million, or with strong diversified industrial economies to boot that can guarantee free education for their citizens. Nigeria, despite re-basing, cannot...because it is neither.
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by sirhenry007(m): 6:28am On Jun 29, 2014
Though its difficult to see now but I still believe in this project called Nigeria and no matter how long she has failed, like Edison she will shout one day "hurray I have found it"
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Nobody: 6:34am On Jun 29, 2014
Neyoor: And some fools 'll start saying Jonathan till their life collapse. Every sector is now suffering the hands of Jonathan. Asup strike is now over a year

#Give us Education#

In fairness to GEJ....we are no longer producing enough oil to earn the income needed to sustain free or subsidized education. That is why GEJ wanted to remove fuel subsidy....not because he was a wicked man , but because his financial advisers, especially Okonjo-Iweala and then/former CBN governor Sanusi were probably telling him that the books had to be balanced somehow.

Unless you want to tell 150 million Nigerians that they are no longer citizens of Nigeria.....we cannot provide free education of the type our poly lecturers are demanding. Unless you Nigerians agree that the fuel subsidy has to go...and then the money saved can be used for tertiary education.

This isn't the 70's anymore...when 200,000 students were in polytechnics or univeristies. Nowadays, with ten times that number, if not more....
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by wellmax(m): 6:50am On Jun 29, 2014
This is si sad. This govt doesn't give a damn at all. Wasting ŧħē lives of its youth.
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by symbianDON(m): 7:00am On Jun 29, 2014
how irresponsible can our govt officials get?? While most fed polys and COEs are shut down because of this strike, the r.ogue wike had the audacity to jet out to brazil to watch soccer. Such a shameless tout. Yet he is going to be governor of rivers state soon. I ll like to see how rivers will be under his watch. Imagine the arrogance and contempt these govt people show towards the average nigerians: you fix a crucial meeting to resolve a protracted strike and yet refused to show up!! Can you beat that? Ministers of education, labour and finance were not around for the meeting!! Na wa o.....i just can't stop hating on these folks. Bunch of l.una.tics...GEJ TILL UNA EYE CLEAR grin

1 Like

Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Wolison(m): 7:18am On Jun 29, 2014
Hmm.......resolve this strike abeg!!!!!! O
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Franchise21(m): 7:20am On Jun 29, 2014
My country z in a state of pitiable bisma disma... I weep for ma fatherland
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by 9jagist(m): 7:21am On Jun 29, 2014
lazy set of teachers, hiding under the canopy of strike, may God help us
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by chibwike(m): 7:26am On Jun 29, 2014
i just hope the strike extends a little so that i can hustle my skul fees
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by omega2128(m): 7:29am On Jun 29, 2014
and some do-no-goods would be shouting GEJ untill 2019.
Any student that votes for him be it polytechnic or university student deserve to be put to death.
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Emmaesty(f): 7:30am On Jun 29, 2014
HND can never be upgraded to B.tech. If they want a degree, they should go to a University. Asup is just wasting their time and the poor students' time. If i were a poly student, i would just go and write Jamb and enter a University instead of wasting my time @ home
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by BJ4REEL(m): 7:32am On Jun 29, 2014
donnypool:

How many people has seun the founder of this site employed?
do you sit on your brain? or you just a newcomer?
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 29, 2014
asup should stop fooling the parents nd teachers wit strikin 4 d dichotomy between
HND and degree
holders, because that is nevr d bone of contention. selfish union
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by smithsammy(m): 7:35am On Jun 29, 2014
donnypool:

How many people has seun the founder of this site employed?
you are too dull to make an input on this subject matter. Is there any connection with the matter of discourse with the trash you have written

It is good not have commented at all than to end up writing this poo.

This is 21st century man, wise up!!!

1 Like

Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by 500GPA: 7:35am On Jun 29, 2014
CAN EVERYBODY SEES THAT WE ARE BEING RULE BY FOOLISH PERSON EVER LIVETH?
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by seydam21(m): 7:35am On Jun 29, 2014
Guys i am playing FIFA Pro 2014 where do i press so that Suarez can bite

3 Likes

Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by omega2128(m): 7:41am On Jun 29, 2014
bushdoc9919:

In fairness to GEJ....we are no longer producing enough oil to earn the income needed to sustain free or subsidized education. That is why GEJ wanted to remove fuel subsidy....not because he was a wicked man , but because his financial advisers, especially Okonjo-Iweala and then/former CBN governor Sanusi were probably telling him that the books had to be balanced somehow.

Unless you want to tell 150 million Nigerians that they are no longer citizens of Nigeria.....we cannot provide free education of the type our poly lecturers are demanding. Unless you Nigerians agree that the fuel subsidy has to go...and then the money saved can be used for tertiary education.

This isn't the 70's anymore...when 200,000 students were in polytechnics or univeristies. Nowadays, with ten times that number, if not more....

If our $20billion is not missing and judiciously use for development of nigeria economic, if frog-eye diezani did not use 10billion naira on aeroplane services, if presidency did not have 10 aeroplanes, if oil thieves were not roaming free, etc there would be excess money to development every sectors in nigeria.
WE DON'T NEED TO DEFEND FAILURE. Gej has failed completely.

3 Likes

Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by vekanem(m): 7:43am On Jun 29, 2014
Its a pity that education in nigeria has deteriorated to this level.
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 29, 2014
omega2128:

If our $20billion is not missing and judiciously for development of nigeria economic, if frog eye diezani did not use 10billion naira on aeroplane services, if presidency did not have 10 aeroplanes, if oil thieves were not roaming free, etc there would be excess money to development every sectors in nigeria.
don't mind dat man our money us enuff to develop evrytin jux dt dy'v chosen to embezzle it.jux imaging all dos money mentioned abive and som odas dt arnt mentioned

1 Like

Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Nche95(m): 8:07am On Jun 29, 2014
it will never be well for FG!
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by ComrEmmanuel(m): 8:16am On Jun 29, 2014
ASSUP, why naaaa? Dis is so unfair. Please, try and consider the future of the young nigerians (which are ur students).
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Nche95(m): 8:19am On Jun 29, 2014
Kae boy: don't mind dat man our money us enuff to develop evrytin jux dt dy'v chosen to embezzle it.jux imaging all dos money mentioned abive and som odas dt arnt mentioned
i thought madam finance minister said that Nigeria has the largest economy in africa with 300s billion USD.
where is the economy?

1 Like

Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by hugelyendowed: 8:38am On Jun 29, 2014
too bad.

that shows d FG values universities more than poly.

1 Like

Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by ComrEmmanuel(m): 8:39am On Jun 29, 2014
seydam21: Guys i am playing FIFA Pro 2014 where do i press so that Suarez can bite
Press X,O and L1 at the same time bro.
Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Aroh48(m): 8:40am On Jun 29, 2014
U guys shld be there commenting rubbish,talking bla bla bla.Don't stand up and fight for ur right.You are sitting down there,and some old fools are there dictating your future.Shame to you all.

1 Like

Re: ASUP Resolves To Continue Strike by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 29, 2014
omega2128:

If our $20billion is not missing and judiciously use for development of nigeria economic, if frog-eye diezani did not use 10billion naira on aeroplane services, if presidency did not have 10 aeroplanes, if oil thieves were not roaming free, etc there would be excess money to development every sectors in nigeria.

Well, if the money was enough, why would GEJ have allowed ASUU go on strike for so long last year?

Point about corruption taken....but even if we remove corruption, we have about 160 million people, an electricity system that needs more than$20bn , and a host of other needs.

Fact is you think the money is enough...it isn't. So either fees go up so that your polytechnic can have the money needed to spend on facilites, or the fuel subsidy goes....and you pay higher at the pump in return for cheap education.

As I said earlier....oil producers that can afford cheap education have these two things

1.Populations below 15 million and / or

2.An vibrant industrial sector.

Nigeria has neither....and it will remain the same, whether PDP or APC.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Protest In OAU Over Lack Of Light And Water For Days (photos) / How To Get 2019 JAMB Epin For Registration / Yabatech Bans Cooking In School, Students Cry Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.