Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,653 members, 7,816,678 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus (34311 Views)

Greece’s Surprising Request After Turning Down World Cup Bonus / Costa Rica Vs Greece World Cup (5 -3) On Penalties On 29th June 2014 / Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by AdekunleBalogun: 5:08am On Jun 30, 2014
Foolish Nigerians comparing Greece and Nigeria, before you display ur ignorance, just google the economic, Political, infra-structural and corruption index in Greece and most African countries. Have you ever ask urself why do government officials collect salaries and yet still loot wit impunity? Nigeria has not invested on this guys and yet you want them to be patriotic, from my personal experience, as a sport person you practically get no support from the government until you escape to Europe. To confirm dis go to our various sport centres and see for urself, Nigeria sport Men and Woman live like beggars, check the average wages of our local players and you will see its a peanut compared to European countries and even in South America, their players are well paid by their clubs. This is simply a reflection of our society and lack of visionary leaders.

4 Likes

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Godsknight(m): 5:36am On Jun 30, 2014
[quote author=nora544]I know this from my country that they players will never ask for money but they will be happy to play for their country.

I love what this greec players make that shows that they love their country more than the money and the people in greece will look if they build this house for the team.

Players from a country which economic is not good at the moment.

[/quote ]we don't understand u ! Please, translate it to any local language in nigeria
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Tunadez(m): 6:53am On Jun 30, 2014
African teams should take a clue from this gesture by the greeks. They deserve an award for this. nor until when African players begin to think this way, they will remain backward
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Dornmike(m): 6:58am On Jun 30, 2014
Hypocrites nigerians angry
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by san4real05: 7:02am On Jun 30, 2014
Why are you all casting aspersions on Africans players? The truth is, it's better for the players to collect the money they work for rather than being siphoned by their respective Government. Even if they reject all their bonus(es) with true intent that the Government should use such funds for national developments of sports activities, certainly nothing will be heard of it till 2022 world cup and beyond! We all know how irresponsible our Government are, Nigeria government could be use as a case study.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by alex2242(m): 7:12am On Jun 30, 2014
IFELEKE: So?
These Greek players are bunch of clowns,me think they should concentrate on the game instead of pulling cheap p.r. stunts. . .Costa Rica Awaits!
typical mentality of some nigerians........smh
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Macchiavelli(m): 7:19am On Jun 30, 2014
U know say if any player get long lasting injury for naija during this world cup. Him name na sorry, na Im make them dey jostle for bonuses cuz incase of any mishap. FG or NFF no know u oh!
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by philips70(m): 7:46am On Jun 30, 2014
careytommy: To think most of these African players earn more than $5,000/wk playing for their respective european clubs is what made their actions more annoying.

At least they need to sustain the level of posh lives they live and those not yet in the league are just so eager to get there. Living large
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by IFELEKE(m): 7:53am On Jun 30, 2014
yublings:

dey may not ve impressed so far in d tournament bt @least give dem some credit...qualifying into d knockout round 4 d 1st time n rejecting bonuses...guy check am now.
Credit duly given,we all know greece is battling recession.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 30, 2014
don't blame super eagles for demanding their entitlements. If d money doesn't get to their pockets some randy government official will embezzle it.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by majamajic(m): 8:16am On Jun 30, 2014
ebamma: Apart from let's say Uzoenyi, Oshinawa, and maybe Babatunde, and a few others, the rest of our boys are worth nothing less than 100m,
But due to greed, our boys still fight over chicken change

Most of these Africans has been collecting 60-80k a week for almost 5-10yrs from their respective clubs, yet they still fight their football federation over 10k bonus per match, apart from George weah that almost single handedly sponsored Liberia football team then. The big African players will say they are fighting for the whole team mostly their upcoming colleagues as if this Greece team dont have upcoming players among them.

Yet almost all the african players after some yrs of retirement the money will varnish, and they will come back begging the same FA for coaching contracts. in nigeria, national team coaching jobs is like porverty alleviation programme for our old players, they stand in turn bewitching the current coach to fail so they can take up, if the present coach continues doing well they will try to bring him down.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by majamajic(m): 8:22am On Jun 30, 2014
Macchiavelli: U know say if any player get long lasting injury for naija during this world cup. Him name na sorry, na Im make them dey jostle for bonuses cuz incase of any mishap. FG or NFF no know u oh!

How long do u think 10k bonus will last for an average player ? Not up to 48hrs , for big spenders u talk about 2-3hrs.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by ogaju007(m): 8:24am On Jun 30, 2014
mikeansy:

if this is all what it is about then they must stop making noise about serving their country

80% of the boys in Brazil make more than 5K dollars a week. why are they causing disruption because of that

I am sure where you work you get paid at the end of the month after you have done a full month job. The world cup last for only a month. Why cant Nigerian players excersize patience untill after the world cup before they make noise about allowance. Some of these boys will get big money career moves on the back of the world cup. Why all the noise about little bonuses that are not life changing money instead of working hard to defend the colours of your Nation at the world cup?

As we speak people are dying as Soldiers in defence of Nigeria. They too get paid at the end of the month!

Well said and i understand your point of view.

1} I work and i know what i should be paid at the end of the day/week/month which was agreed before i started work. If my employer decides not to pay me, i can sue him to court and even if he doesn't pay me on time. This doesn't mean i am not loyal to my company.

2) The Same goes for the Nigerian Soldiers you mentioned. We can see that the fact that the govt has been oblivious to the military covenant of taking care of and paying the soldiers well, we end up with people joining the army as a last resort and very in-disciplined soldiers.

3) There is no reason to justify not paying the boys (The money has been provided by FIFA). This crazy behavior of the govt is not only limited to Football, it cuts across all other sports.

4) It is because of this embezzlement that a country with 170 million people cannot produce best 11 football players in the world. They have embezzled the sports funds. Look at what they did to Keshi withholding is allowance. (Would they have tried that with Westerhof?)

Lets call a spade a spade. If the country treats you well then you can talk about patriotism if not, then pssss......

1 Like

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by ogaju007(m): 8:24am On Jun 30, 2014
majamajic:

How long do u think 10k bonus will last for an average player ? Not up to 48hrs , for big spenders u talk about 2-3hrs.

Its not about the money ==== its more about the principle.......
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by ottty(m): 8:27am On Jun 30, 2014
Just take a minute and imagine Enyeama suggesting that FG should use their bonuses for talents development back @ home, the kind slap Wey mikel 4 give am ehhhh e 4 strong pass Roberto Carlos shot.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by AspDrone(m): 8:29am On Jun 30, 2014
JEITO: I wonder why these Naija guys even bother to sing the National Anthem when they clearly don't regard the wordings of the Anthem
. Them sabi the wordings ni? Please I can't blame the guyz oh. Just like someone said if they let go off the bonus,walai nff go chop de money so what's the use of trying to emulate grecce players to the wrong leaders? its a bigger act of foolishness
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by hermesprogidy(m): 12:04pm On Jun 30, 2014
aManFromMars: They can afford to do that over there. They reward patriotism.

Back in Nigeria, to be a patriot is to yearn for poverty. Mediocrity is rewarded and honoured. Be a militant and earn salary from the government. Dine with them at Aso Rock.

Crooks get pardons. Our soldiers are slaughtered daily by Boko haram..

*goes back to spaceship, will be back to continue my rant*
Bros you are so on point. I know a fella who unearthed a huge fraud in his place of employment. He refused to be part of it and reported the case to the funders ( who were Nigerians and non nigerians). He not only lost his job, but received no compensation whatsoever from the funders whom he helped recover their monies. It's almost daft being honest and patriotic in NIGERIA.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by ogaju007(m): 1:53pm On Jun 30, 2014
This is a quote from Boateng of Ghana on their trip to brazil and conditions....

“The flight from Miami to Brazil a week later took 12 hours and we sat and concentrated in economy class. The legs ached. It sounds strange for an average citizen, but for a competitive athlete that is a disgrace. The Ghana FA president sat in business class with his wife and two children. And then in Brazil, we finally had a charter flight but my luggage was lost. Two days without football boots – it was a disaster.”
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by vm26: 2:42pm On Jun 30, 2014
Bantino: Can this happen in Africa??
not in a million yrs dearest lol
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Kusibe77(m): 6:05pm On Jun 30, 2014
May be some1 as written an opinion like mine, av not read all d post i can't know. So am writing mine.
This S.E can do what Greek did, it's just that they are not motivated by NFF by delaying their pay. How will you feel when u know that ur work is used by somebody as wealth and u the labourer. . .
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Canme4u(m): 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2014
yoyonne: Go Super Eagle
someone pls teach me how to create topic on nairaland

from home page, click on the section that you want to create the topic on. Then, you will see the create new topic option.

There you go.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Birmingham Fan Runs Into The Pitch, Punches Jack Grealish On The Head / Ex-Eagles Get-Together: Kanu, Okocha, Amokachi, Ikpeba, Siasia, Yobo (Video) / NFF Releases Super Eagles Squad List For Friendly Against Brazil.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.