Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,113 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus (34306 Views)

Greece’s Surprising Request After Turning Down World Cup Bonus / Costa Rica Vs Greece World Cup (5 -3) On Penalties On 29th June 2014 / Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jun 29, 2014
Whereas our players nd coach even refused going to brazil for the confederation cup because of bonuses.... Africans are always after what they can get for themselves regardless of the future generation or their fellow africans.. Its crazy!

1 Like

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 29, 2014
Don Carlos:

Please drop by for a drink fit for wisemen like you.

Alright boss cool . On my way
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by moh1(m): 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2014
even if they chose to follow grace futhstep, will d money b trusted in d hand our leaders who are curropte. Pls dont blm those guys. They ask for there bonus
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by naijanaso: 9:37pm On Jun 29, 2014
jakiedudu: Very admirable. I think the Greece National team gave a good account of themselves thus far in the world cup. Sadly African players are more concern about money than playing for the glory for their countries.

Yes, I agree that the Greek team did something patriotic and honourable but there is no way you can compare their action to that of Naija.
The state of Greece is very broke and heavily indebted for sometime now to the extent that the EU had to start considering writing off their debts and trying to raise money to alleviate their economic crises. Their players are aware of this, hence the ease to take the decision. This was to help their country economically.
In the Case of Naija, we all know that we have the money and if the players try what the Greeks have done, a group of officials will squander the money as have always being the case. I support them 100%. We qualified for the world cup long time ago and our sports ministry knows that they should be paid. POOR PLANNING IN NIGERIA.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by stefikal(f): 9:45pm On Jun 29, 2014
Hey friends, sorry to disturb you.
Please vote for my friend Olarinde Olutoyin as the next Miss Pulse http://pulse.ng/events/article2872970.ece

Simply click on this link and click on her pix/ name. multiple votes allowed..thank you... Voting ends in two hours

Thank you
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by adexpa(m): 9:52pm On Jun 29, 2014
i agreed with been patrotism,but if they should returned the money to be use in refurbishing nigeria football system,i can quarantee us that the money will only be shared by d so called NFF body.i pray the nation graduate to a trustworthy one.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by akanbiaa(m): 9:52pm On Jun 29, 2014
We live in a country where government officials are even heartless to a pensioner and a pensioner is either denied his allowance or delayed till he dies, after serving all his life, how can you entrust you hard earned money to such people to build anything for you?

1 Like

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 29, 2014
Africans blame their leaders for everything as if the leaders fell from space?

the corruption of our leaders is a reflection of our society

the greek players who forfeited their bonuses for the greater good will clearly make better leaders in future than ours who refuse to train because of bonuses!

It is what it is, the black man is too greedy. Nigerian players should stop embarrassing us on world stage because of money that quite frankly is worth nothing to majority of the players!

2 Likes

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by salbis(m): 10:03pm On Jun 29, 2014
Bantino: Can this happen in Africa??
Perhaps, in a very very long distant future! No wonder they call her "dark continent".
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by ogaju007(m): 10:05pm On Jun 29, 2014
mikeansy: Africans blame their leaders for everything as if the leaders fell from space?

the corruption of our leaders is a reflection of our society

the greek players who forfeited their bonuses for the greater good will clearly make better leaders in future than ours who refuse to train because of bonuses!

It is what it is, the black man is too greedy. Nigerian players should stop embarrassing us on world stage because of money that quite frankly is worth nothing to majority of the players!

I agree with you however lets not forget Greece even though broke, they do have a good health insurance system infact (they have a system) which nigeria doesn't have. Should thos boys be injured while playing for naija, nothing will be done to support them...ask amokachie if they got what they were promised back then...

Hmmmn The players should be payed what they are owed.... if they're not, then the greedy politicians can go and play the world cup...

Is it not surprising that its only african countries with this pay wahala despite the fact that FIFA had given the allowances in advance.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by iluvnaija: 10:05pm On Jun 29, 2014
They are from Greece and they have no greed!

#TEAMGREECE
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by encryptjay(m): 10:06pm On Jun 29, 2014
For Sparta!!! They always put their country first.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by teeyford(m): 10:11pm On Jun 29, 2014
neutralwaya: What do you expect from the sons of Aristotle , Socrates and Plato ?

Cradle of European Civilization
u forgot hippocrates and Aesclapius

1 Like

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by JEITO: 10:13pm On Jun 29, 2014
I wonder why these Naija guys even bother to sing the National Anthem when they clearly don't regard the wordings of the Anthem
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 29, 2014
ogaju007:

I agree with you however lets not forget Greece even though broke, they do have a good health insurance system infact (they have a system) which nigeria doesn't have. Should thos boys be injured while playing for naija, nothing will be done to support them...ask amokachie if they got what they were promised back then...

Hmmmn The players should be payed what they are owed.... if they're not, then the greedy politicians can go and play the world cup...

Is it not surprising that its only african countries with this pay wahala despite the fact that FIFA had given the allowances in advance.

if this is all what it is about then they must stop making noise about serving their country

80% of the boys in Brazil make more than 5K dollars a week. why are they causing disruption because of that

I am sure where you work you get paid at the end of the month after you have done a full month job. The world cup last for only a month. Why cant Nigerian players excersize patience untill after the world cup before they make noise about allowance. Some of these boys will get big money career moves on the back of the world cup. Why all the noise about little bonuses that are not life changing money instead of working hard to defend the colours of your Nation at the world cup?

As we speak people are dying as Soldiers in defence of Nigeria. They too get paid at the end of the month!
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by sasifo(m): 10:33pm On Jun 29, 2014
[quote author=UnknownT]You might not like their style of play, but this would appear to be another reason to like Greece ahead of their World Cup last 16 clash against Costa Rica.

This World Cup has been dogged with bonus rows. First with Cameroon, even before they set off to Brazil.

And, most famously last week with Ghana where 3 million dollars had to be shipped out to Brazil ahead of their final game against Portugal.

Now, the Greece team have written to their prime minister Antonis Samaras and told him they are not interested in their World Cup bonus but simply want the money to be put towards a sports centre for the national team.

The Greek press report that the squad in Brazil wrote a short letter saying: ??We do not want as extra bonus, or money. We only play for Greece and its people. All we want is for you to support our effort to find a land and create a sports centre that will house our National team.??

This letter was written on Sunday June 29, 2014 and signed by all 23 squad members, it came as a result of Greece reaching the second round of the World Cup for the first time in their historPresumably, the Greek squad realise they are all well-paid individuals and are concerned for the future of Greece in international football.

What a patrotic bunch of players.By their action they have really prove that money is not everything in life. Do the right thing and money will surely come. I pray that the spirit of greed enveloping
Afica will let go one day.

1 Like

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Blueray: 10:36pm On Jun 29, 2014
Most people here are oozing with patriotism while in the comfort of their rooms. But I have some few questions:

Is it their right to demand for their bonus? Yes
Is the govt so broke that it cannot pay the players bonus? No
Will the bonus (if not paid now) get to the players after the competition? No
Do Greek players think of providing medical cover to their parents, uncles, brothers and friends? No. Greece is in debt but institutions are working and the govt is working.

When it comes to the comittment of the individual we ask for 110℅. But we say nothing when heads of institutions make them comatose. Patriotism is satisfying the demand placed on you when the resources to achieve set goals are duly provided. Will any of these super patriots here answer the call for recruitment into the armed forces if it is proven beyound reasonable doubts that the force have no single arms and ammunition in its inventory? Nigerians will sure answer the call because work na work and not for patriotism. Leave our players alone and ask those causing the delay in remitting bonuses where their loyalty lies

1 Like

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Abbey2sam(m): 10:47pm On Jun 29, 2014
The question no one is asking here is that, would nigeria government use the money for the purpose which its meant for even if nigerian players pull that kinda stunt

1 Like

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Fayrouzz(m): 10:49pm On Jun 29, 2014
Saw one of their banners, "We won't say greeks play like heros but heros play like greeks".. Sweet!
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Beetwaise(m): 10:54pm On Jun 29, 2014
This says it all. In Africa,greed & selfishness is the bane of our problem especially the leaders alongside some callous dignitaries

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jun 29, 2014
Abbey2sam: The question no one is asking here is that, would nigeria government use the money for the purpose which its meant for even if nigerian players pull that kinda stunt

whatever anyone thinks of the money is a conversation we should be having after the world cup. Not in the middle of it
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by nora544: 10:57pm On Jun 29, 2014
Beetwaise: This says it all. In Africa,greed & selfishness is the bane of our problem especially the leaders alongside some callous dignitaries

and you forgot Pastors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by AlienfromMars: 10:59pm On Jun 29, 2014
aManFromMars: They can afford to do that over there. They reward patriotism.

Back in Nigeria, to be a patriot is to yearn for poverty. Mediocrity is rewarded and honoured. Be a militant and earn salary from the government. Dine with them at Aso Rock.

Crooks get pardons. Our soldiers are slaughtered daily by Boko haram..

*goes back to spaceship, will be back to continue my rant*
. *don't come back to our planet! U r warned!!! U left without permission from Lord Ambian to dine and wine with mere humans of lesser brains...
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Ab4all(m): 11:34pm On Jun 29, 2014
jakiedudu: Very admirable. I think the Greece National team gave a good account of themselves thus far in the world cup. Sadly African players are more concerned about money than playing for the glory for their countries.
. How do Yu mean young man........ Wy wont dey demand for their wen ur leaders use $470 Million dollars for cctv dats not functioning.....
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by toprealman: 11:35pm On Jun 29, 2014
I'm sure our boys would have done same if we didn't have a national stadium. The patriotism is commendable but my brother forget that thing. Nigeria is an unorganised country. Don't blame the players for demanding full bonus.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Dayjhihannon01(m): 11:38pm On Jun 29, 2014
aManFromMars: They can afford to do that over there. They reward patriotism.

Back in Nigeria, to be a patriot is to yearn for poverty. Mediocrity is rewarded and honoured. Be a militant and earn salary from the government. Dine with them at Aso Rock.

Crooks get pardons. Our soldiers are slaughtered daily by Boko haram..

*goes back to spaceship, will be back to continue my rant*
You made my day buddy; you are really from Mars.......

2 Likes

Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by ogbronx(m): 12:06am On Jun 30, 2014
rychard: Whereas our players nd coach even refused going to brazil for the confederation cup because of bonuses.... Africans are always after what they can get for themselves regardless of the future generation or their fellow africans.. Its crazy!
only a few Africans think of legacy
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Tundepraise(m): 1:14am On Jun 30, 2014
Patrotism!
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by eyoniggar(m): 1:44am On Jun 30, 2014
Abeg all these crap is story mehn, its easy to form holy, when those greeks get home, they are still gonna be given the bonus. people rest please.
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by Izunwa(m): 3:03am On Jun 30, 2014
Like seriously, I don't see the reason why you guys are criticizing SuperEagles and other African Teams because of what Greece team did out of their own magnanimity . The heading of this topic is even misleadin cause I thought they rejected the money cause its incomplete or something else. How do expect SuperEagles to follow their foot steps when they are agitating that NFF didn't want to completely pay them what accrues to them in the first place OK, didn't you guys heard of Japanese fans that does sanitation after watching their matches in the stadium? Una for criticize our supporters club for not following suit cheesy
Re: Greece Players Turn Down World Cup Bonus by cheguevera: 3:09am On Jun 30, 2014
eyoniggar: Abeg all these crap is story mehn, its easy to form holy, when those greeks get home, they are still gonna be given the bonus. people rest please.
. I LOVE YOU NIGGA. FONT MIND THESE SLAVES. MASSA IS ALWAYS RIGHT. HOW MANY OF THEM WILL DIE FOR THEIR COUNTRIES. NOISE MAKERS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Premier League Golden Boot Race Is Coming Down To The Wire / A Birmingham Fan Runs Into The Pitch, Punches Jack Grealish On The Head / Ex-Eagles Get-Together: Kanu, Okocha, Amokachi, Ikpeba, Siasia, Yobo (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.