Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,764 members, 7,851,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:32 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (681431 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:58am On Feb 17, 2015
halaphilip:
Hello VisaOfficer,

Great job you’re doing.

My wife filed for the Immigrant visa on my behalf in the US. I got the Interview Letter (P4) but there are a few things I would want clarified.

1. I received the letter from the family lawyer in the US but there has been no communication from the US embassy. What can I do?
2. When do I go for the medical examination? Is it before or after the said interview?
3. On your webpage, reference was made to two documents: DS-260 and DS-261. Do these apply to me?
4. My Police Report would still be valid at the time of the interview. Would you advise I get another one in case that one expires before I travel, if successful?
5. My wife’s brother in the US filed an I-864 (Affidavit of Support) for me. Is it allowed? And if yes, I suppose it means I can present his most recent Tax filing, no?
6. In the document status section, for documents not requested before now (F), am I required to go with them now. The letter didn’t say. There is a place where it says I must bring any original document the NVC requested but which I did not submit.
7. At what point do I make the fee payments (both interview and medical)?
8. The letter says I should present photocopies of all civil documents. What are Civil Documents?

I eagerly await your usual kind response.

Regards
Applicant

1. You could e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov to see if your case has been scheduled for an interview.
2. You must present your medical reports at the time of the interview.
3. Yes. smiley
4. As long as the police report was issued no more than one year before the date on which the visa is printed, it'll be fine.
5. Any LPR or U.S. citizen can submit the I-864. If married, the spouse will also need to submit a document, the I-864a, and we'll need to see three years of tax documents supporting those forms.
6. Yes, you are required to bring all requested documents to the interview.
7. You will pay the panel physician at the time of your examination. If the petitioner hasn't paid all the fees to NVC, you'll need to pay the outstanding fees at the Consulate on the day of your interview.
8. civil documents = birth, marriage, death, divorce certificates

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:00am On Feb 17, 2015
PMBL:
Good Day VO, I applied for the spousal visa for my husband. We are now at the NVC stage of our process. It's been almost a year since visiting my spouse mainly financial reason.. I want to know if this is a red flag for any CO at the interview stage? I have travel 8x already prior, but not within the last year. Also if I am not at the interview would that be another red flag? Thanks in advance.

You don't need to come to the interview. We will probably ask why you haven't come in the past year, but if the answer makes sense, it won't be a red flag (especially because you have so many prior trips. It's a red flag for me when the petitioner has only visited the beneficiary once, four years ago, for the wedding, and only stayed six days).

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jany(f): 8:34am On Feb 17, 2015
hello
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jany(f): 8:38am On Feb 17, 2015
Hello VO

i am presently pregnant and would like to have my baby in the US. I have the financial capability to pay all bills and i have relatives there who are ready to accomodate me. my question is this my hubby recently got his permanent resident card and is willing to file for me but the process would definately take longer than i can afford. So can i apply for a b visa and get approved if i get a letter of invite from a relative and also show means to pay?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:17am On Feb 17, 2015
jany:
Hello VO

i am presently pregnant and would like to have my baby in the US. I have the financial capability to pay all bills and i have relatives there who are ready to accomodate me. my question is this my hubby recently got his permanent resident card and is willing to file for me but the process would definately take longer than i can afford. So can i apply for a b visa and get approved if i get a letter of invite from a relative and also show means to pay?

These are questions for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 10:57am On Feb 17, 2015
VisaOfficer:

1. You could e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov to see if your case has been scheduled for an interview.
2. You must present your medical reports at the time of the interview.
3. Yes. smiley
4. As long as the police report was issued no more than one year before the date on which the visa is printed, it'll be fine.
5. Any LPR or U.S. citizen can submit the I-864. If married, the spouse will also need to submit a document, the I-864a, and we'll need to see three years of tax documents supporting those forms.
6. Yes, you are required to bring all requested documents to the interview.
7. You will pay the panel physician at the time of your examination. If the petitioner hasn't paid all the fees to NVC, you'll need to pay the outstanding fees at the Consulate on the day of your interview.
8. civil documents = birth, marriage, death, divorce certificates

Hope this helps!

WOW!!! You've been of utmost assistance. Gracias. I feel almost ashamed asking another question sef

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 10:59am On Feb 17, 2015
Are you saying I still have to email LagosIV@state.gov even though I've received a letter from the NVC intimating me of the interview?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:47am On Feb 17, 2015
halaphilip:
Are you saying I still have to email LagosIV@state.gov even though I've received a letter from the NVC intimating me of the interview?

No, if you have an interview date, you don't need to e-mail us.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 12:24pm On Feb 17, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Oh, thanks. Someone told me if I got the Interview Letter from the NVC in US with the date, I still have to confirm date availability from the US Embassy here in Nigeria but I guess your response put paid to that suggestion.

Another one, how long from the date of the interview can go for the medical examination? E.g my interview is fixed for March 26. Can I go this week?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 12:54pm On Feb 17, 2015
VisaOfficer:

One more question: I couldn't access the DS-260 (online Immigrant Visa Electronic Application) and DS0261 (Choice of Address and Agent)even after logging into my case page (https://ceac.state.gov/IV/IVSummary.aspx). IS there a form I am expected to complete? I did not see a DS-260 form on the page after entering both my case number and invoice ID. Ditto the DS-261.

Which brings to my initial question: do these two forms (DS260 and DS261) apply to me considering I already received an interview letter from the NVC through our US attorney? Or is there something I'm not doing correctly? Please clarify.

Again, big thanks. I'm sure we all can't say that well enough.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Teacup: 3:01pm On Feb 17, 2015
Hello

A friend told about the nice work you are doing. Please my fiancé who is a now a United States citizen will visit me next month here in Nigeria. She will submit a petition on my behalf so that I will start my immigrant visa process. Please kindly advice me on major areas I have to concentrate on while applying for immigrant visa or any major aspects she has to concentrate why submitting the petition. Although my fiancé told me that the petition will have to be approved first before I start the immigrant visa process. Currently I am a HR Analyst in a Consulting firm

Thank you
Waiting for your response
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ednutey(f): 4:08pm On Feb 17, 2015
thanks alot vo, i have told him to contact them. Another question is how long will it take before they respond back.
thanks alot
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olad2015: 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2015
hi visa officer. i applied for USA visitor visa last year October 2014, but i was denied saying that i did not met the visa requirement, but I'm planning to re apply again in march 2015. i work with a standard company here in Nigerian and my salary is close to #300,000, I'm married with a daughter. my wife worked as banker before, but she just got new appointment late last year with telecommunication company. with salary above #200,000, my question now sir:
1) it is possible for me to present my wife account number alongside with my own?
2)it is necessary that i present my promotion latter?
3)can i use our weeding certificate and our daughter birth certificate without pictures or is picture necessary?
4) did i need to take her appointment later along.
i need answer on those question sir. i also do painting i spend my weekend on that one i locate my client online i show them the product once they like it i deliver to them as home service, with this i also earn more money to mare salary.
thanks sir. i wil be waiting for your response sir.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Hopeful1987: 7:27pm On Feb 17, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I'm afraid I can't help you with this. I don't know what documents you need to get a new Nigerian passport.

Thank You for your respond, I can as well use my passport in my maiden name, since a marriage certificate would so just fine. Thank You again for an amazing work you do here.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:07am On Feb 18, 2015
olad2015:
hi visa officer. i applied for USA visitor visa last year October 2014, but i was denied saying that i did not met the visa requirement, but I'm planning to re apply again in march 2015. i work with a standard company here in Nigerian and my salary is close to #300,000, I'm married with a daughter. my wife worked as banker before, but she just got new appointment late last year with telecommunication company. with salary above #200,000, my question now sir:
1) it is possible for me to present my wife account number alongside with my own?
2)it is necessary that i present my promotion latter?
3)can i use our weeding certificate and our daughter birth certificate without pictures or is picture necessary?
4) did i need to take her appointment later along.
i need answer on those question sir. i also do painting i spend my weekend on that one i locate my client online i show them the product once they like it i deliver to them as home service, with this i also earn more money to mare salary.
thanks sir. i wil be waiting for your response sir.

These are questions for the non-immigrant visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:09am On Feb 18, 2015
halaphilip:

Oh, thanks. Someone told me if I got the Interview Letter from the NVC in US with the date, I still have to confirm date availability from the US Embassy here in Nigeria but I guess your response put paid to that suggestion.

Another one, how long from the date of the interview can go for the medical examination? E.g my interview is fixed for March 26. Can I go this week?

I think you can go any time now, but keep in mind that the medical paperwork is valid for no more than six months, and your visa's validity will be set to match it. So it's not in an applicant's best interest to go very very very early. You might want to ask the panel physician what she recommends. You can find their contact information, and other information about the immigrant visa process, at http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visa_forms.html .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:12am On Feb 18, 2015
halaphilip:

One more question: I couldn't access the DS-260 (online Immigrant Visa Electronic Application) and DS0261 (Choice of Address and Agent)even after logging into my case page (https://ceac.state.gov/IV/IVSummary.aspx). IS there a form I am expected to complete? I did not see a DS-260 form on the page after entering both my case number and invoice ID. Ditto the DS-261.

Which brings to my initial question: do these two forms (DS260 and DS261) apply to me considering I already received an interview letter from the NVC through our US attorney? Or is there something I'm not doing correctly? Please clarify.

Again, big thanks. I'm sure we all can't say that well enough.

When you go to the website https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/ you should see links for both the DS-260 and the DS-261. The DS-260 is the application form, and the DS-261 is the choice of agent / address. Every immigrant visa applicant is expected to complete both forms and to bring the confirmation page to the interview. Maybe your petitioner filled yours out for you? If so, it's your responsibility to be sure that all the information is correct, as you'll be swearing an oath to that effect at your interview. (You can also just affirm that it's true, if your religion doesn't allow you to swear oaths.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:13am On Feb 18, 2015
Teacup:
Hello

A friend told about the nice work you are doing. Please my fiancé who is a now a United States citizen will visit me next month here in Nigeria. She will submit a petition on my behalf so that I will start my immigrant visa process. Please kindly advice me on major areas I have to concentrate on while applying for immigrant visa or any major aspects she has to concentrate why submitting the petition. Although my fiancé told me that the petition will have to be approved first before I start the immigrant visa process. Currently I am a HR Analyst in a Consulting firm

Thank you
Waiting for your response

Good morning! These are very broad questions. I think that the best way to get a feel for what's expected would be for you to read the petition and see what's asked. http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f has that information.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:15am On Feb 18, 2015
ednutey:
thanks alot vo, i have told him to contact them. Another question is how long will it take before they respond back.
thanks alot

Sorry, I don't know how long it takes USCIS to respond to people. I know that the more accurate and precise you are in your e-mail to them, the quicker they'll be able to reply.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:22am On Feb 18, 2015
Good morning Ma'am! Have a nice day!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by johnnyphat: 7:37am On Feb 18, 2015
Good morning V.O. Thank you for taking time to answer the many questions on this forum.
I seek your sage answers to the following questions:
1 what is the minimum waiting time to obtain a green card for an unmarried child of a U.S citizen who is above 21yrs?

2. Is it subject to any country limitations like a P4?
Thanks in anticipation of your response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:10am On Feb 18, 2015
johnnyphat:
Good morning V.O. Thank you for taking time to answer the many questions on this forum.
I seek your sage answers to the following questions:
1 what is the minimum waiting time to obtain a green card for an unmarried child of a U.S citizen who is above 21yrs?

2. Is it subject to any country limitations like a P4?
Thanks in anticipation of your response.

Good morning,

Right now the waiting time for the adult unmarried child of a U.S. Citizen is around seven years. The numbers are indeed subject to limitation: Section 201 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) sets an annual minimum family-sponsored preference limit of 226,000. The worldwide level for annual employment-based preference immigrants is at least 140,000. Section 202 prescribes that the per-country limit for preference immigrants is set at 7% of the total annual family-sponsored and employment-based preference limits, i.e., 25,620. The dependent area limit is set at 2%, or 7,320. We don't see anywhere near 25,620 cases a year in Nigeria, though, so we're not going to run out of F1s or any other category in any given fiscal year.

I can keep talking about this at incredibly boring length because I'm into the law and the numbers, but I realize that it puts most people directly to sleep, so, for all our sakes, I'll stop there.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by johnnyphat: 9:16am On Feb 18, 2015
Thanks for your speedy reply ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by boofydon: 9:37am On Feb 18, 2015
Good day ma, I just noticed that there is a slight difference between the case no on my passport and the one printed on the white paper on the envelope I am to hand over to the immigration officers at my point of entry. Which case id should I use when I want to pay the USCIS immigrant fee? The one on my visa is LGS201374001101 while the one on the white paper on the sealed envelope is LGS20137400111. The difference is in the last 2 digits and one is 16digits, the other 15digits.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:13am On Feb 18, 2015
boofydon:
Good day ma, I just noticed that there is a slight difference between the case no on my passport and the one printed on the white paper on the envelope I am to hand over to the immigration officers at my point of entry. Which case id should I use when I want to pay the USCIS immigrant fee? The one on my visa is LGS201374001101 while the one on the white paper on the sealed envelope is LGS20137400111. The difference is in the last 2 digits and one is 16digits, the other 15digits.

To make it even more confusing, the case number you'll actually use is LGS2013740011 -- LGS for Lagos, followed by the year 2013, followed by a six-digit number. The extra 01 or 1 sometimes appended to your case means that you're the principal applicant. If you had derivatives they would be LGS201374001102, LGS201374001103, and so forth. But you only need to use LGS2013740011 in your correspondence, including when you pay the Immigrant Visa fee.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 10:20am On Feb 18, 2015
VisaOfficer:

When you go to the website https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/ you should see links for both the DS-260 and the DS-261. The DS-260 is the application form, and the DS-261 is the choice of agent / address. Every immigrant visa applicant is expected to complete both forms and to bring the confirmation page to the interview. Maybe your petitioner filled yours out for you? If so, it's your responsibility to be sure that all the information is correct, as you'll be swearing an oath to that effect at your interview. (You can also just affirm that it's true, if your religion doesn't allow you to swear oaths.)

Hello ma,

I've sent a mail to the attorney to confirm this. However, in the meantime, I've attached a snapshot of the letter I received. Do you think the two documents listed as IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION PARTS 1 & 2 are the DS-260 and DS-261?

Thanks to reply.

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by boofydon: 10:22am On Feb 18, 2015
VisaOfficer:

To make it even more confusing, the case number you'll actually use is LGS2013740011 -- LGS for Lagos, followed by the year 2013, followed by a six-digit number. The extra 01 or 1 sometimes appended to your case means that you're the principal applicant. If you had derivatives they would be LGS201374001102, LGS201374001103, and so forth. But you only need to use LGS2013740011 in your correspondence, including when you pay the Immigrant Visa fee.
cheesy Thank goodness you are here for us.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:30am On Feb 18, 2015
halaphilip:

Hello ma,

I've sent a mail to the attorney to confirm this. However, in the meantime, I've attached a snapshot of the letter I received. Do you think the two documents listed as IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION PARTS 1 & 2 are the DS-260 and DS-261?

Thanks to reply.

Maybe? I'm not familiar with that checklist. What I do know is that we can't interview you unless you've filled out the DS-260 and DS-261. Please see http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visa_forms.html for more information.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:32am On Feb 18, 2015
boofydon:
cheesy Thank goodness you are here for us.

Thank goodness you are all here for me! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by halaphilip: 11:53am On Feb 18, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Maybe? I'm not familiar with that checklist. What I do know is that we can't interview you unless you've filled out the DS-260 and DS-261. Please see http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visa_forms.html for more information.

Thanks ma. I was able to view the DS-260 form already completed on my behalf by the attorney. However, I noticed errors in some information entered on the form.

1. My surname was misspelt. I called my wife and she said she also complained to the attorney but he said it is not critical. I tried to see if I could edit the information but I could not - he seems to have submitted it and no further changes are permitted. It is surprising because my full names are correctly spelt in the Interview Letter and even on the log-in page.
2. Similarly, my father's surname was misspelt (same wrong spelling since we share same surname).
3. A question was asked about my father's Date of Birth. The answer entered was "I do not know". My wife said she also noticed it and gave him (the attorney) my father's DOB and he said it would be corrected. Obviously it was not done. My father is late anyway (this much was disclosed in the form) but I do not know if the error will be suicidal.
4. To the question "Do you have a child yet", the response was NO. This is true at the time of completing the document. But my wife was pregnant with our baby at that time and she had him in July in US (he is therefore a citizen). Again, I don't know what effect that will have cos there is obviously a disconnect between current reality and information on the form at the time of submission.

I could not locate the form DS-261. I have asked the attorney to send it (isn't he the agent anyway?).

I would be happy if you address these (admittedly many) questions.

Regards
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:38pm On Feb 18, 2015
halaphilip:

Thanks ma. I was able to view the DS-260 form already completed on my behalf by the attorney. However, I noticed errors in some information entered on the form.

1. My surname was misspelt. I called my wife and she said she also complained to the attorney but he said it is not critical. I tried to see if I could edit the information but I could not - he seems to have submitted it and no further changes are permitted. It is surprising because my full names are correctly spelt in the Interview Letter and even on the log-in page.
2. Similarly, my father's surname was misspelt (same wrong spelling since we share same surname).
3. A question was asked about my father's Date of Birth. The answer entered was "I do not know". My wife said she also noticed it and gave him (the attorney) my father's DOB and he said it would be corrected. Obviously it was not done. My father is late anyway (this much was disclosed in the form) but I do not know if the error will be suicidal.
4. To the question "Do you have a child yet", the response was NO. This is true at the time of completing the document. But my wife was pregnant with our baby at that time and she had him in July in US (he is therefore a citizen). Again, I don't know what effect that will have cos there is obviously a disconnect between current reality and information on the form at the time of submission.

I could not locate the form DS-261. I have asked the attorney to send it (isn't he the agent anyway?).

I would be happy if you address these (admittedly many) questions.

Regards

You can correct all of this at the time of your interview. (I also kind of think you should ask your attorney what you're paying him for, but hey.)

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stevewale(m): 12:38pm On Feb 18, 2015
Welldone Dear VO ...

My K1 petition got approved yesterday at TSC after a very long wait of 7 months ... Can't wait have my case available at your consulate. The waiting seems endless ...lolz

Hoping to have an available interview date for March ending all things being equal (do you think this is feasible ma?).

Pls do you have idea how long it takes for approved K1 petitions to get to you guys after the approval date considering the 3 months validity?

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.