Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,084 members, 7,849,401 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:35 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (681217 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:31pm On May 07, 2015
sharlorhm:

My dad says it is that woman that is filing for me buh my dad is a green card owner. I am 19 and not married

So the petitioner is your U.S. citizen stepmother? You're an IR2, and as soon as your petition is approved and the case is documentarily complete, you'll be scheduled for an interview on the next available appointment date.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by terefe(m): 5:03pm On May 07, 2015
Hi VO, could u help me out here, i have an immigrant petition case at the NVC ( F2B , its bn approved at uscis)currently, at the same time im about applying for a students visa to start my msc degree this fall, already i have been holding off starting the program for a year plus now hoping the process would conclude, but Nay! I want to know if the petition would have an adverse effect on the f1 visa application since i would have to prove non- immigrant intent and also i have an immigrant petition pending. I cant keep postponing ..its hard ..Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sharlorhm(m): 5:04pm On May 07, 2015
Thanks for your help so far Ma. Please Ma, l help advice and update but for you to understand me, l ll start from the beginning. please bear with me and save from wondering and woried heart
We(my broda and l) got our passport issued on the 17th of October 2013. My dad who is a green_card owner asked us for the copy of our school and birth certificate with pictures linking us to him. we sent it to him
On the 25th of August 2014, we went for our DNA test and we got our results on 19th of January, it was positive
On the 21th of March 2015, l got an email stating that my DS_260 and that of my brother have being submitted and it ll take 30 working days for review.
It is past 30 working days now and we have not received anything from NVC. I got worried and l talked to my dad. He said he has submitted all the documents but l want to be sure. He also told me that his American wife is filing for us too, so am guessing its a joint filing
1)How long do l have to wait for an interview?
2) NVC did not reques for Affidavit of Support for mine but it was requested for my younger broda, should l be worried? I am 19 and he is 11
3) what is the status of our case? LGS2015551078.
God bless you Ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by noberu10: 4:32am On May 08, 2015
Howdy VO,

I've been reunited with my family here in Dallas for almost a month now, and I sincerely want to thank you for your timely intervention in my K1 application. We honestly had given up hope on the case and were ready to reapply for a new application, but you actually gave me the opportunity to provide evidence and prove my case. I just want you to know that your presence on this forum makes the embassy closer, more approachable and welcoming to people who are unable to get answers from the embassy via the LagosIV email. At times the responses received from the embassy's email don't even relate to the questions asked, however you are always available on here to answer many questions regardless if it favourable or unfavorable.

I read on here that you are leaving? I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Like the saying goes here in Texas 'y'all comeback now ya here'.:-)

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:17am On May 08, 2015
terefe:
Hi VO, could u help me out here, i have an immigrant petition case at the NVC ( F2B , its bn approved at uscis)currently, at the same time im about applying for a students visa to start my msc degree this fall, already i have been holding off starting the program for a year plus now hoping the process would conclude, but Nay! I want to know if the petition would have an adverse effect on the f1 visa application since i would have to prove non- immigrant intent and also i have an immigrant petition pending. I cant keep postponing ..its hard ..Thank you.

There's no problem with applying for a student visa while you have an immigrant petition pending. As long as you truly intend to be a student and to abide by the terms of the visa, and as long as you can convey that to the interviewing officer, you'll be fine.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:34am On May 08, 2015
sharlorhm:
Thanks for your help so far Ma. Please Ma, l help advice and update but for you to understand me, l ll start from the beginning. please bear with me and save from wondering and woried heart
We(my broda and l) got our passport issued on the 17th of October 2013. My dad who is a green_card owner asked us for the copy of our school and birth certificate with pictures linking us to him. we sent it to him
On the 25th of August 2014, we went for our DNA test and we got our results on 19th of January, it was positive
On the 21th of March 2015, l got an email stating that my DS_260 and that of my brother have being submitted and it ll take 30 working days for review.
It is past 30 working days now and we have not received anything from NVC. I got worried and l talked to my dad. He said he has submitted all the documents but l want to be sure. He also told me that his American wife is filing for us too, so am guessing its a joint filing
1)How long do l have to wait for an interview?

As soon as the petitions are approved and the cases are documentarily complete, NVC will schedule you for the next available appointment date.

2) NVC did not reques for Affidavit of Support for mine but it was requested for my younger broda, should l be worried? I am 19 and he is 11

NVC should have asked for an AOS for each of you. Your case will need the I-864 but you brother can use the I-864W, as he's under 18.

3) what is the status of our case? LGS2015551078.
God bless you Ma

The case's status is that it is undergoing processing at the National Visa Center.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:35am On May 08, 2015
noberu10:
Howdy VO,

I've been reunited with my family here in Dallas for almost a month now, and I sincerely want to thank you for your timely intervention in my K1 application. We honestly had given up hope on the case and were ready to reapply for a new application, but you actually gave me the opportunity to provide evidence and prove my case. I just want you to know that your presence on this forum makes the embassy closer, more approachable and welcoming to people who are unable to get answers from the embassy via the LagosIV email. At times the responses received from the embassy's email don't even relate to the questions asked, however you are always available on here to answer many questions regardless if it favourable or unfavorable.

I read on here that you are leaving? I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Like the saying goes here in Texas 'y'all comeback now ya here'.:-)

Thank you for the kind words! I used to live in Texas (for like a year, back in the 1980s -- everyone had really big hair back then). Hope you enjoy it!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sharlorhm(m): 8:50am On May 08, 2015
VisaOfficer:

As soon as the petitions are approved and the cases are documentarily complete, NVC will schedule you for the next available appointment date.

NVC should have asked for an AOS for each of you. Your case will need the I-864 but you brother can use the I-864W, as he's under 18.

The case's status is that it is being processed at the National Visa Center.
Thank you so much ma. i hop you wont get tired of me, am just being desperate to go there and start my life. my life is there, not here. i only sleep and eat and stay in my mumMs shop here
When my dad was filing DS_260 for I and my broda. Mine wasnt accepted until after 3days while my brother's DS_260 was accepted immediately. When it was time for payment at NVC, his payment was required 1st before mine but my dad paid togetther. he waited for my payment to be requested before he paid for my broda's own too. NVC has reqquested for his AOS, they havnt requested for mine. Are they processing our case differently? Does that mean our interview dats will be different?
2) when we went for our DNA test, l met a guy who is of d same age with me and his dad is filing for him too, so when l told him we are here for DNA 1st, he was suprised and he said that he had cone for his interview 1st and he had to be subject to DNA afterwards and that DNA test is a last resort, please ma, how true is this? I noticed our processing is quite different from others. DNA 1st, b4 interview. Why ma?
I went to check my Case Status at NVC site and l saw this
"Please follow the instructions you receivedfrom the National Visa Center (NVC) for the next step in the processing of your visapetition. If you have misplaced the instructions sent to you by the NVC or did not receive them, please contact us athttp://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3177.htmlfor additional information.". Does that mean l have otherr documents to submit?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lindababy2u: 11:09am On May 08, 2015
Good morning V.O , i applied for a visiting visa last year January as a single lady to visit my elder sister who i have not seen for 8 years that gave birth but was denied, three months after then my husband filled CR1 for me. Although i and my husband have already fixed our traditional marriage for February last year after i might have come back from my tour. My question is ,is it going to affect this present one ?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Aburoy(m): 3:29pm On May 08, 2015
Nagode. I really do appreciate your response.
Please, I will like to know how long it takes to schedule a DNA sample collection for a USCIS case because its 3weeks now the kits arrived the consulate yet no word. I emailed lagosiv and the response I got sounded like the consulate is not aware of the kits meanwhile after tracking, I found out it was signed by someone probably in the mail room(name withheld). I wish I could give the receipt numbers here but I don't feel comfy doing it since this is not official and I know its a process thing. Madam, as you promised looking into all DNA kits received in your absence and speeding it up. Will appreciate your effort. My fear is I am due out of the country in the coming weeks and it won't be nice if I can't plan my schedule. I wish I had a date to hold on to. cheers and God bless. Enjoy your weekend.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by terefe(m): 9:22pm On May 08, 2015
VisaOfficer:

There's no problem with applying for a student visa while you have an immigrant petition pending. As long as you truly intend to be a student and to abide by the terms of the visa, and as long as you can convey that to the interviewing officer, you'll be fine.
thank you very much and by the way its been 5 months my petition has been approved at uscis and its current, an estimate of when i should be interviewed?
Cheers
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nwannenna: 11:02pm On May 08, 2015
Dear VO
i am new to this forum and would need your help.
i am a nurse and my husband is a doctor and we have made
a decision to migrate to the US.I have sent in my documents for assessment to
CGFNS for evaluation having chosen my preferred state board of nursing.
i plan to register for the NCLEX before the end of the year hence i have the
following questions;
1. What kind of visa would i require to go to the US and write the exam.A visitors visa?
2.How do the EB-3 and E35 forms work?
3.if i go over to the US,how long will it take to get my family to join me?...lastly,
4. Am i doing this wrongly? is there a better process i can apply?
Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by anuwor: 11:37pm On May 08, 2015
Good day visa officer ....my questions goes like this my cr1 visa was revoked on march 12th 2015 and I was told it would be forwarded to NVC just want to know if they have forwarded it ........thanks.

Here is my case number.....LGS2014664016.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sirk111: 1:58pm On May 09, 2015
Good morning ma,
Dear V.O, i wanna say thanks so so much for the great job u re doing here!! I finally made it to USA yesterday. But i was delayed for 7 hours, because my new medical that i submitted to Us Lagos Embassy was not included in my immigration packet. Now they later allowed me to go and they gave me a paper work to go and do new medical here in america with a deadline. They also got hold of my passport till i return with new medical. This is going to cost me much money, stress to Atlanta Georgia to return with new medical and not my fault. Embassy didn`t put the new medical i submitted to them. It was the expired medical in my immigration packet. LGS2014569045. KAYODE
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by aydupy: 4:25pm On May 09, 2015
Hello visa officer,
My parents are citizens of US and I intend to travel to visit with my son as temporary visitors. I am married I would like to find out wat my chances of getting a visa are and also want you to advise me whether to state in my application that my parents are in US or not. They have always been the ones visiting my family in nigeria. I am working here in Nigeria and also my husband is working too. A bit scared because of the tales I have heard about people whose parents are citizens and also refusal saying they may not want to come back. Thankyou
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by orimahspence: 4:36pm On May 09, 2015
i learnt alot here, thank you VO

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hardeybomy: 5:34am On May 10, 2015
Please I got robbed on my way from lagos nd my passport that carried visa was stolen... tho d sealed documents are with me bt my passport with visa stamp was stolen, what do I do ma...?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mbanj4real: 7:17am On May 10, 2015
Good Ma, how can i send invitation letter for my mum because my wife just gave birth last 2 month. Am a green card holder.pls i need your Advice
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 7:53am On May 10, 2015
hardeybomy:
Please I got robbed on my way from lagos nd my passport that carried visa was stolen... tho d sealed documents are with me bt my passport with visa stamp was stolen, what do I do ma...?

Waste no time contact the embassy LagosIV@state.gov

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by koskikun: 11:31pm On May 10, 2015
Hello Visa Officer. Scheduled for interview in June and currently gathering my documents. My case was completed before filing of 2014 taxes. Do I need to get 2014 tax return from both my petitioner and joint sponsor? Do I need an updated I-864? Do I need to present proof of citenzship of my joint sponsor?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bukolacole(m): 12:03am On May 11, 2015
Good day ma, hope your weekend was nice?. So sorry to always bother you ma, please can you help me confirm if our DNA results are already delivered to the Embassy ma, and please our passports are with the Officer that interviewed us on our interview date, sure the are save though, including my stepmother's that was denied. Please ma if there is anything you can do to speed up level of work on our cases will be appreciated ma, really wants and needs to beat my police certificate expiring date of 20th of May ma due to money constraints ma, The Adepoju , thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:15am On May 11, 2015
sharlorhm:

Thank you so much ma. i hop you wont get tired of me, am just being desperate to go there and start my life. my life is there, not here. i only sleep and eat and stay in my mumMs shop here
When my dad was filing DS_260 for I and my broda. Mine wasnt accepted until after 3days while my brother's DS_260 was accepted immediately. When it was time for payment at NVC, his payment was required 1st before mine but my dad paid togetther. he waited for my payment to be requested before he paid for my broda's own too. NVC has reqquested for his AOS, they havnt requested for mine. Are they processing our case differently? Does that mean our interview dats will be different?
2) when we went for our DNA test, l met a guy who is of d same age with me and his dad is filing for him too, so when l told him we are here for DNA 1st, he was suprised and he said that he had cone for his interview 1st and he had to be subject to DNA afterwards and that DNA test is a last resort, please ma, how true is this? I noticed our processing is quite different from others. DNA 1st, b4 interview. Why ma?
I went to check my Case Status at NVC site and l saw this
"Please follow the instructions you receivedfrom the National Visa Center (NVC) for the next step in the processing of your visapetition. If you have misplaced the instructions sent to you by the NVC or did not receive them, please contact us athttp://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3177.htmlfor additional information.". Does that mean l have otherr documents to submit?

It is possible that you and your brother may receive different interview dates, yes. When you know your dates, if you wish you may e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and ask to be interviewed on the same day.

Sometimes USCIS requests DNA tests before approving a petition if the documentation provided is not convincing.

NVC will let you know if they wish you to submit additional documents. Please be patient -- NVC processing can take a long time. You should contact them directly if you have questions about your case at this stage, as until the case is sent here to post, I'm unable to check its status.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:16am On May 11, 2015
lindababy2u:
Good morning V.O , i applied for a visiting visa last year January as a single lady to visit my elder sister who i have not seen for 8 years that gave birth but was denied, three months after then my husband filled CR1 for me. Although i and my husband have already fixed our traditional marriage for February last year after i might have come back from my tour. My question is ,is it going to affect this present one ?

I must need more coffee -- I'm not understanding your question. Could you rephrase for me (and I'll go get some coffee)?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:19am On May 11, 2015
Aburoy:
Nagode. I really do appreciate your response.
Please, I will like to know how long it takes to schedule a DNA sample collection for a USCIS case because its 3weeks now the kits arrived the consulate yet no word. I emailed lagosiv and the response I got sounded like the consulate is not aware of the kits meanwhile after tracking, I found out it was signed by someone probably in the mail room(name withheld). I wish I could give the receipt numbers here but I don't feel comfy doing it since this is not official and I know its a process thing. Madam, as you promised looking into all DNA kits received in your absence and speeding it up. Will appreciate your effort. My fear is I am due out of the country in the coming weeks and it won't be nice if I can't plan my schedule. I wish I had a date to hold on to. cheers and God bless. Enjoy your weekend.

All the kits we've received have gone to the team lead for scheduling. The "good" news is that it's unlikely that your sample collection will be scheduled during the coming weeks, as our DNA collection schedule is quite busy. If you don't hear from us soon, please let me know!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:27am On May 11, 2015
terefe:
thank you very much and by the way its been 5 months my petition has been approved at uscis and its current, an estimate of when i should be interviewed?
Cheers

It's unlikely that your F2B case is current if the petition was approved five months ago. When was it filed? Right now cases in which the petitions were filed on or before Sept. 15, 2008, are eligible to be scheduled for interviews.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:31am On May 11, 2015
nwannenna:
Dear VO
i am new to this forum and would need your help.
i am a nurse and my husband is a doctor and we have made
a decision to migrate to the US.I have sent in my documents for assessment to
CGFNS for evaluation having chosen my preferred state board of nursing.
i plan to register for the NCLEX before the end of the year hence i have the
following questions;
1. What kind of visa would i require to go to the US and write the exam.A visitors visa?
2.How do the EB-3 and E35 forms work?
3.if i go over to the US,how long will it take to get my family to join me?...lastly,
4. Am i doing this wrongly? is there a better process i can apply?
Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you.

The best advice I can give you is to visit http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english.html and read through it carefully. That will help you choose the process that is best for you and your family. For non-immigrant visa questions, please see https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:33am On May 11, 2015
anuwor:
Good day visa officer ....my questions goes like this my cr1 visa was revoked on march 12th 2015 and I was told it would be forwarded to NVC just want to know if they have forwarded it ........thanks.

Here is my case number.....LGS2014664016.

Yes, the case left us on April 10. It can take NVC several weeks or longer to review a case and contact the petitioner.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:34am On May 11, 2015
sirk111:
Good morning ma,
Dear V.O, i wanna say thanks so so much for the great job u re doing here!! I finally made it to USA yesterday. But i was delayed for 7 hours, because my new medical that i submitted to Us Lagos Embassy was not included in my immigration packet. Now they later allowed me to go and they gave me a paper work to go and do new medical here in america with a deadline. They also got hold of my passport till i return with new medical. This is going to cost me much money, stress to Atlanta Georgia to return with new medical and not my fault. Embassy didn`t put the new medical i submitted to them. It was the expired medical in my immigration packet. LGS2014569045. KAYODE

But the new police certificate was in the package? That doesn't make sense. I apologize for the mix-up. Do you remember if you saw the panel physician at Consultants Practice or at Q-Life? Maybe I can get them to scan me a copy so I can e-mail it to you and hopefully save you additional trouble and expense.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:36am On May 11, 2015
aydupy:
Hello visa officer,
My parents are citizens of US and I intend to travel to visit with my son as temporary visitors. I am married I would like to find out wat my chances of getting a visa are and also want you to advise me whether to state in my application that my parents are in US or not. They have always been the ones visiting my family in nigeria. I am working here in Nigeria and also my husband is working too. A bit scared because of the tales I have heard about people whose parents are citizens and also refusal saying they may not want to come back. Thankyou

These are questions for my non-immigrant colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . I can say it's very easy for us to see that your parents are citizens, so trying to conceal that fact won't work out well for you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:36am On May 11, 2015
hardeybomy:

Please e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov right away!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:37am On May 11, 2015
mbanj4real:
Good Ma, how can i send invitation letter for my mum because my wife just gave birth last 2 month. Am a green card holder.pls i need your Advice

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:38am On May 11, 2015
koskikun:
Hello Visa Officer. Scheduled for interview in June and currently gathering my documents. My case was completed before filing of 2014 taxes. Do I need to get 2014 tax return from both my petitioner and joint sponsor? Do I need an updated I-864? Do I need to present proof of citenzship of my joint sponsor?

If three years' worth of tax documents have already been submitted, there's no need to include the 2014 return now. However, if you're only now gathering that information, it's best to have the three most recent years of tax documents. Your joint sponsor should be either a U.S. citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident.

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.