Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,964 members, 7,828,427 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679499 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DobraDobra: 4:21pm On Jul 30, 2014
Good day VO pls pls and pls pardon my ignorance pls what is common name as used by the embassy beacuse it seems to be different to what it is out side the embassy in d society common names to us is most names given to people I wonder how that affect ones immirant visa application
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:25pm On Jul 30, 2014
marymary14: Thanks a lot for for the response, what if it's just the medicals that's expired? Whereas the visa still has its six months validity what do I do?

You must travel with valid medicals, or you will have trouble entering the U.S. Indeed, we should have changed your visa expiration date to match your medical paperwork; I'm chagrined that that didn't happen. If you'd like, you can just go get new medical paperwork from a panel physician, and hand-carry it with you to show to the Customs agent at the point of entry.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:29pm On Jul 30, 2014
DobraDobra: Good day VO pls pls and pls pardon my ignorance pls what is common name as used by the embassy beacuse it seems to be different to what it is out side the embassy in d society common names to us is most names given to people I wonder how that affect ones immirant visa application

It's not what we consider to be a common name; it's more a matter of what names pop up that match an applicant's when we're processing the applicant's case. To give a very American example, if your name is John Smith, there are likely to be many more John Smiths out there. Chances are good that some John Smiths should not receive visas. So we have to check to make sure you're not any of the John Smiths who have done bad things, and that can take a long time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DobraDobra: 4:35pm On Jul 30, 2014
[quote author=VisaOfficer]

It's not what we consider to be a common name; it's more a matter of what names pop up that match an applicant's when we're processing the applicant's case. To give a very American example, if your name is John Smith, there are likely to be many more John Smiths out there. Chances are good that some John Smiths should not receive visas. So we have to check to make sure you're not any of the John Smiths who have done bad things, and that can take a long time.

Thanks for that in other words its another name for volatile or high risk names.thanks before we go about forming uncommon names . Much appreciated

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 5:39pm On Jul 30, 2014
If it helps I haven't seen the passport, so I don't know if the visa was adjusted to match the time the medicals expire. I'm just speculating..thanks for the information though, it's been really helpful.
Have a nice day ahead.
VisaOfficer:

You must travel with valid medicals, or you will have trouble entering the U.S. Indeed, we should have changed your visa expiration date to match your medical paperwork; I'm chagrined that that didn't happen. If you'd like, you can just go get new medical paperwork from a panel physician, and hand-carry it with you to show to the Customs agent at the point of entry.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by vickkyplus: 9:50pm On Jul 30, 2014
Dearest Visa Officer,It will be unwise and unfair if I don't commend your good work here.Your prompt response to questions marvels me.Thank you ma.

I once replied your post about young couples some pages back.I feel delighted,cos I feel situations have stepped a bit as regards young couples.Am not certain though,but seems people don't complain again.I must thank you.

We dont know if there are still people for interview in the remaining months,but incase I still beg for your fairness on young couples.There are still real very young couples out there.
As regards your WARNING today,I feel pity for those Nigerians who want to steal another's identity because of greed and desperation.

These clowns are making things hard for the real people.No thanks to hungry and wicked Nigerian agents.I imagine if Nigerian agents were to be In charge of the US lottery!I use this medium to say thanks for clamping down on those imposters.

We (SSS) are always ready to assist you in all of these.
We hope to see good results as regards visa issuance to young couples in the remaining months.

God Bless.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mandychime: 10:46pm On Jul 30, 2014
Good day VisaOfficer,
sometime last month I was at the embassy here in Abuja with the aim of getting a US passport, because I was born In the state, but unfortunately I was told I would not b given because my parents were on diplomatic service when I was born. other than this what benefits do I have being given birth to there? or am I completely off? .... D do I stand a chance of atleast getting a travel visa? if so please how do I go about it? thank you as I wait for your responce.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 30, 2014
Dear V.O do i have the liberty to relocate to the US to start a new life? I am financially stable but feels like moving to the US to be a resident.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by register1(f): 5:07am On Jul 31, 2014
Good morning VO. Thanks a lot for the assistance you offer here on nairaland. I'm the person whose CR1 case was mistakenly sent in to the London embassy in May but later transferred back to lagos and rescheduled for next week. Please I'd like to ask if it's okay to come in for my interview with the original P4 letter for London and the email from lagos confirming my case was received with the rescheduled interview date/time or do I need to request a new P4 with Lagos written on it. Thank you for your good work and have a nice day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:05am On Jul 31, 2014
marymary14: If it helps I haven't seen the passport, so I don't know if the visa was adjusted to match the time the medicals expire. I'm just speculating..thanks for the information though, it's been really helpful.
Have a nice day ahead.

When you see the passport, take a look at the visa's expiration date. If it's less than six months after the issuance date, it was manually changed to match the medical paperwork. If it's six months (minus one day) after the issuance date, the computer automatically designated the date. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:08am On Jul 31, 2014
vickkyplus: Dearest Visa Officer,It will be unwise and unfair if I don't commend your good work here.Your prompt response to questions marvels me.Thank you ma.

I once replied your post about young couples some pages back.I feel delighted,cos I feel situations have stepped a bit as regards young couples.Am not certain though,but seems people don't complain again.I must thank you.

We dont know if there are still people for interview in the remaining months,but incase I still beg for your fairness on young couples.There are still real very young couples out there.
As regards your WARNING today,I feel pity for those Nigerians who want to steal another's identity because of greed and desperation.

These clowns are making things hard for the real people.No thanks to hungry and wicked Nigerian agents.I imagine if Nigerian agents were to be In charge of the US lottery!I use this medium to say thanks for clamping down on those imposters.

We hope to see good results as regards visa issuance to young couples in the remaining months.

God Bless.

Oh good, I'm glad our reputation is getting warmer. smiley Are you in the SSS? I love you guys! Thank you for all your support!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:12am On Jul 31, 2014
mandychime: Good day VisaOfficer,
sometime last month I was at the embassy here in Abuja with the aim of getting a US passport, because I was born In the state, but unfortunately I was told I would not b given because my parents were on diplomatic service when I was born. other than this what benefits do I have being given birth to there? or am I completely off? .... D do I stand a chance of atleast getting a travel visa? if so please how do I go about it? thank you as I wait for your responce.

Greetings! Yes, it's true, because your parents were in the U.S. as diplomats, you did not acquire U.S. citizenship at birth by being born there. That's one of the quirks of diplomatic status. There's no reason why you can't apply for a non-immigrant visa. http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html has information about doing that.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:14am On Jul 31, 2014
sodiqyinka: Dear V.O do i have the liberty to relocate to the US to start a new life? I am financially stable but feels like moving to the US to be a resident.

You would need a family member or an employer in the U.S. to file a petition on your behalf. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate.html has more information about immigration.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:19am On Jul 31, 2014
register1: Good morning VO. Thanks a lot for the assistance you offer here on nairaland. I'm the person whose CR1 case was mistakenly sent in to the London embassy in May but later transferred back to lagos and rescheduled for next week. Please I'd like to ask if it's okay to come in for my interview with the original P4 letter for London and the email from lagos confirming my case was received with the rescheduled interview date/time or do I need to request a new P4 with Lagos written on it. Thank you for your good work and have a nice day.

Greetings! Your name and case number should already be on our entry list. If you'd like, let me know the last five numbers of your case number (the one that starts with LGS or LND) and I'll check to be sure you're listed.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 31, 2014
Good morning and how was your night? I can see you are online.Thanks for being there,you are indeed self less.Thanks for your advise on the issue of addressing people as old,we are learning everyday and our culture is what is affecting us generally.I have really gain something from that.I made a mistake on my mum' date of birth.I filled sept 12 instead of sept 11.I planned to change it on my interwiew day but the joy of my visa approval made me to forget.Can I change it at the port of entry
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by register1(f): 7:49am On Jul 31, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Your name and case number should already be on our entry list. If you'd like, let me know the last five numbers of your case number (the one that starts with LGS or LND) and I'll check to be sure you're listed.
That is so kind of you. My case no is LND****569005.
Thank you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Jul 31, 2014
Godis4me: Good morning and how was your night? I can see you are online.Thanks for being there,you are indeed self less.Thanks for your advise on the issue of addressing people as old,we are learning everyday and our culture is what is affecting us generally.I have really gain something from that.I made a mistake on my mum' date of birth.I filled sept 12 instead of sept 11.I planned to change it on my interwiew day but the joy of my visa approval made me to forget.Can I change it at the port of entry

I doubt they'll ask you at the port of entry. If they don't, the next time someone asks you for her date of birth, just give them the correct date and maybe write a brief explanatory note. All will be well.

Safe travels and let us know how you settle in!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:57am On Jul 31, 2014
register1:
That is so kind of you. My case no is LND****569005.
Thank you!

Found you! You're definitely on our entry list. I'm assuming you know the date and time; if not, shoot us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov and we'll let you know.

(For the record: This is the kind of commenting on specific cases that I think is permissible -- neutral reassuring things, or comments that are of use to the general readership. Sometimes people have questions that would lead to discussions of why exactly a case is issuable or not issuable, and I hope everyone understands why we try to stay away from that. Those details should only be discussed in person and privately, even when everything is just fine.) (And, usually, everything is just fine.)

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by register1(f): 8:00am On Jul 31, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Found you! You're definitely on our entry list. I'm assuming you know the date and time; if not, shoot us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov and we'll let you know.

(For the record: This is the kind of commenting on specific cases that I think is permissible -- neutral reassuring things, or comments that are of use to the general readership. Sometimes people have questions that would lead to discussions of why exactly a case is issuable or not issuable, and I hope everyone understands why we try to stay away from that. Those details should only be discussed in person and privately, even when everything is just fine.) (And, usually, everything is just fine.)
Thank you VO and have a good day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by phatzyka: 8:25am On Jul 31, 2014
Good morning Sir/Madam,
Thank you for the good work you are doing here on nairaland.
Please I would like to know how long it takes for USA Embassy Lagos to invite one for further processing of Immigrant Visa after receiving the results of DNA.
Looking forward to your response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:57am On Jul 31, 2014
phatzyka: Good morning Sir/Madam,
Thank you for the good work you are doing here on nairaland.
Please I would like to know how long it takes for USA Embassy Lagos to invite one for further processing of Immigrant Visa after receiving the results of DNA.

Good morning,

I'm glad you asked this question. The answer is, it depends. If DNA results are the only thing missing from the case, we generally contact the applicant for the follow-up interview in just a few days. If we're awaiting (for example) DNA results AND a divorce certificate, the case goes back in the pending file while we wait for the applicant to bring the divorce certificate.

We're not able to process a case the very same day DNA results arrive at the Consulate. That's because this is how it works. Right now, on my desk, I have 12 FedEx envelopes containing DNA test kits or results -- many of them with several kits or results all in the same envelope together. Today is a light day, too. Let's just talk about results: First, keep in mind that they likely arrived in the mailroom yesterday, along with ALL the rest of the building's mail, and had to be sorted before they showed up on my desk this morning. I'll check the results and make a quick note of them before handing them to my staff, who will pull the files, scan the results into the cases, and pass the files back to me. Then I'll go through each case and make a note of what the next steps are -- for instance, one will be ready to issue, another would be ready to issue if the medical paperwork hadn't expired, one still needs a follow-up interview for other reasons, etc. The cases then go back to my staff and they contact the applicants to schedule new appointments, ask them to drop off new medical reports, etc. as appropriate. But this entire process can take a day or three, because at the same time we are also doing everything else: interviewing today's applicants, printing visas, answering e-mails, analyzing reports, making schedules, etc. etc. etc. We try to do it all as promptly as possible, but sometimes we get e-mails that say "I know you received my DNA result this morning and I would like my visa this afternoon," which just isn't realistic. And that's why I'm glad you asked the question -- so I could write "That just isn't realistic" and manage some expectations. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by phatzyka: 9:07am On Jul 31, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

I'm glad you asked this question. The answer is, it depends. If DNA results are the only thing missing from the case, we generally contact the applicant for the follow-up interview in just a few days. If we're awaiting (for example) DNA results AND a divorce certificate, the case goes back in the pending file while we wait for the applicant to bring the divorce certificate.

We're not able to process a case the very same day DNA results arrive at the Consulate. That's because this is how it works. Right now, on my desk, I have 12 FedEx envelopes containing DNA test kits or results -- many of them with several kits or results all in the same envelope together. Today is a light day, too. Let's just talk about results: First, keep in mind that they likely arrived in the mailroom yesterday, along with ALL the rest of the building's mail, and had to be sorted before they showed up on my desk this morning. I'll check the results and make a quick note of them before handing them to my staff, who will pull the files, scan the results into the cases, and pass the files back to me. Then I'll go through each case and make a note of what the next steps are -- for instance, one will be ready to issue, another would be ready to issue if the medical paperwork hadn't expired, one still needs a follow-up interview for other reasons, etc. The cases then go back to my staff and they contact the applicants to schedule new appointments, ask them to drop off new medical reports, etc. as appropriate. But this entire process can take a day or three, because at the same time we are also doing everything else: interviewing today's applicants, printing visas, answering e-mails, analyzing reports, making schedules, etc. etc. etc. We try to do it all as promptly as possible, but sometimes we get e-mails that say "I know you received my DNA result this morning and I would like my visa this afternoon," which just isn't realistic. And that's why I'm glad you asked the question -- so I could write "That just isn't realistic" and manage some expectations. smiley
Thank you very much for your swift response.
In our own case it's only the DNA result that they needed.
On the 17th of July I received a confirmation email from Consular office that they have received the results that we will be contacted shortly to continue the processing of Diversity Immigrant Visa. I am only being curious.
Does it mean there is an issue.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 31, 2014
Tanx in a million, you are great.
VisaOfficer:

I doubt they'll ask you at the port of entry. If they don't, the next time someone asks you for her date of birth, just give them the correct date and maybe write a brief explanatory note. All will be well.

Safe travels and let us know how you settle in!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:32am On Jul 31, 2014
phatzyka:
Thank you very much for your swift response.
In our own case it's only the DNA result that they needed.
On the 17th of July I received a confirmation email from Consular office that they have received the results that we will be contacted shortly to continue the processing of Diversity Immigrant Visa. I am only being curious.
Does it mean there is an issue.

I'm not sure. What date did you have your interview, please? I'll go look.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 9:33am On Jul 31, 2014
vickkyplus: Dearest Visa Officer,It will be unwise and unfair if I don't commend your good work here.Your prompt response to questions marvels me.Thank you ma.

We dont know if there are still people for interview in the remaining months,but incase I still beg for your fairness on young couples.There are still real very young couples out there

God Bless.

lipsrsealed
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:18am On Jul 31, 2014
justwise:

lipsrsealed

Don't worry, justwise, I think s/he meant the SSS is always ready to support the Consulate in dealing with serious wrongdoers. We're interviewing young DV couples according to the same standards as we always have!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ddream77: 10:29am On Jul 31, 2014
Dear V.O,
Thanks for you response.
You made mention "Just remind us when you come back for your next interview, and we can update the case notes for you"
Does that mean i'll still have to come for another interview? shocked
Wow!!! Well, I just hope me name gets cleared.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by phatzyka: 10:29am On Jul 31, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I'm not sure. What date did you have your interview, please? I'll go look.
We had our interview on the 30th of April 2014.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by phatzyka: 10:44am On Jul 31, 2014
We did our interview on the 30th of April. On the 2nd of July we went for sample collection at the USA Embassy Lagos. On the 14th of July the result was delivered to the USA Embassy Lagos. With this piece of information I believe it will go a long way in knowing the present state of my case.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by YettyOla(f): 10:48am On Jul 31, 2014
Our Nairaland VO Mum, I sometimes wonder how you multitask working as a VO right @ the consulate and still give us time here on Nairaland. Big Thanks.

Pls, when can I one go to pick up passport if interviewed 22nd July. I've been ttrying to call the collection centre but its not going through, advice ma?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eleshinleekan: 10:54am On Jul 31, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Good morning,

Wow! And you still have time for us on Nairaland! You are selfless indeed. GOD bless you real good for your selfless service smiley

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by AREOLA: 11:11am On Jul 31, 2014
YettyOla: Our Nairaland VO Mum, I sometimes wonder how you multitask working as a VO right @ the consulate and still give us time here on Nairaland. Big Thanks.

Pls, when can I one go to pick up passport if interviewed 22nd July. I've been ttrying to call the collection centre but its not going through, advice ma?

Before our VO answer ur question.let me help just check ur visa status via CEAC website, if it reads issued then U̶̲̥̅̊
ar gud to go just go nd pick up ur visa.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.