Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,833 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678646 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:10pm On Aug 05, 2014
Babymama123: @ vo
Thanks for all your input and your response.

i have got few urgent questions for you. i applied for B1/B2 visa sometimes in july and am yet to get my visa, i sent a mail to the consular and i was told there is a technical problem with its visa processing that i will get my passport as soon as they are settled with the issues, the problem now is am getting married on the 22nd and 23rd of August i was suppose to travel early August and return by mid august in order for me to shop, get some goodies for my new home and return for my weding. (just took few days off frm work) but since the visa is delayed can i use my visa later in the year, as i am pregnant and due in december.
Please advise what i have to do, do i have to write to the consular or proceed on the trip and show them my financial capabilites at PoE. i want to be as honest as possible, i dont want to be rejected, please help.

This is a question for the NIV thread. But, strictly speaking, as long as the visa is valid, you can use it. The people at POE will remember this visa printing crisis and should understand when you explain.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Firewami: 1:15pm On Aug 05, 2014
Firewami:

Good morning ma, We appreciate ur effort on our case. Pls don't forget us ma. Thank you and have a nice day.

@ VO Thank you ma, may God richly bless u.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by miz4oxley(m): 1:30pm On Aug 05, 2014
Good afternoon Ma,

Thanks for your kindness on us on this forum. Pls, I will like to remind you that I am yet to hear from your office regarding the correction to be made on my VISA DOB, and I have sent in a message to the LagosIV@state.gov yesterday. My name starts with AK and USCIS Registration number 634****69 and case number 2014AF00017**8. I hope to read from you on the next step to take on it.

Thanks in advance ma'am.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Teminio: 1:41pm On Aug 05, 2014
Dear VO,
Thanks so much for your assistance.
I have three questions.
1) Is it possible to adopt a child from Nigeria by a US citizen who is a family member? If possible, what does it entails?
2) Is it possible to file for immigration/permanent residence for a sibling by a US citizen?
3) What options are available for a Nigerian to qualify and apply for immigration visa?

Thanks for your response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:17pm On Aug 05, 2014
miz4oxley: Good afternoon Ma,

Thanks for your kindness on us on this forum. Pls, I will like to remind you that I am yet to hear from your office regarding the correction to be made on my VISA DOB, and I have sent in a message to the LagosIV@state.gov yesterday. My name starts with AK and USCIS Registration number 634****69 and case number 2014AF00017**8. I hope to read from you on the next step to take on it.

Thanks in advance ma'am.

You should hear from us soon. Hang in there. smiley

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
Teminio: Dear VO,
Thanks so much for your assistance.
I have three questions.
1) Is it possible to adopt a child from Nigeria by a US citizen who is a family member? If possible, what does it entails?
2) Is it possible to file for immigration/permanent residence for a sibling by a US citizen?
3) What options are available for a Nigerian to qualify and apply for immigration visa?

Thanks for your response.

1) Adoption: Yes, Nigerian children can be adopted by U.S. based family members in certain circumstances. Adoption is very complicated and time-consuming, so I advise you to review all information pertaining to Nigeria at http://adoption.state.gov/ before you begin.

2) Siblings: Yes, American citizens can file the I-130 petition for their siblings. The wait time is very long, however -- around 12 years right now.

3) Immigration in general: The basic options are that a family member can file for you; an employer can file a petition on your behalf; you could win the Diversity Visa Lottery; or you could invest in a business project in the United States. Please see http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate.html for more information.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Goodybag(m): 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2014
Hi VO, just passing but decided to hoot, well done Ma, you are doing marvelously well!!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by miz4oxley(m): 11:12am On Aug 06, 2014
Hello VO Mum,

I received a call from the consulate to bring my International Passport by 1pm so they can effect the correction. I really appreciate what you're doing on here. Bless you, and always.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:57pm On Aug 06, 2014
miz4oxley: Hello VO Mum,

I received a call from the consulate to bring my International Passport by 1pm so they can effect the correction. I really appreciate what you're doing on here. Bless you, and always.

Thanks.

Glad to hear it -- and my apologies for our error! We try to catch those before the visas go out, but every once in a while, one slips past us.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by miz4oxley(m): 1:49pm On Aug 06, 2014
VisaOfficer:
Glad to hear it -- and my apologies for our error! We try to catch those before the visas go out, but every once in a while, one slips past us.

Awwww... How kind. Thanks, and apology accepted. I'll find my way down tomorrow to drop the passport ma'am. My personal schedule for today has been fixed before the call came through. Thanks and Bless.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by stevewale(m): 5:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
I keep following this thread with keen interest as I marveled at these selfless human services you are rendering here ... All I can say is thanks and may God bless you for it awesomely.

Ma, as I await my turn for K1-Fiance Visa interview (thou we just got NOA1; await NOA2 of approval), I read from visajourney site where someone said atleast 50 pictures must be made available for proof of relationship and meeting in person.

I am not a pic freak person but we have like 8 pics all in all which include that of where our parents met (i.e. a mini introduction).

My question is can this be a shortfall or stop my chances of getting visa?

Thanks for your honest response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by JehovahFavor(m): 8:45pm On Aug 06, 2014
Hello VO, thanks for the great job you are doing here. For one who is given visa under dv lottery, 6 months is the usual expiration period. Can the 6months be extended before expiration if one applies for it? Thanks for prompt response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VCTROKOYE: 10:28pm On Aug 06, 2014
If my green card petitioner becomes a citizen and the F2B becomes F1, will the reclassification affect the time I will go for interview? If it will affect, is it possible to request that the conversion should be revoked. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:42am On Aug 07, 2014
stevewale: I keep following this thread with keen interest as I marveled at these selfless human services you are rendering here ... All I can say is thanks and may God bless you for it awesomely.

Ma, as I await my turn for K1-Fiance Visa interview (thou we just got NOA1; await NOA2 of approval), I read from visajourney site where someone said atleast 50 pictures must be made available for proof of relationship and meeting in person.

I am not a pic freak person but we have like 8 pics all in all which include that of where our parents met (i.e. a mini introduction).

My question is can this be a shortfall or stop my chances of getting visa?

Thanks for your honest response.

My personal opinion, not in any way to be taken as U.S. Government policy: You should take anything posted on VisaJourney with a very large grain of salt. You do not need 50 photos at your K1 visa interview. We often see photos that were clearly staged just for the interview, and frankly, they make us skeptical. We'd rather see just a few genuine-looking photos than a big stack that were taken following some visa agent's advice ("You need a photo of you two eating together at a fast-food place. And a photo with a can of malt drink on the table. And a photo where you are in an extremely inappropriate position that will make the visa officer wonder why you let someone else in the room to take your picture while you were doing those things" ). The most important thing will be whether you can talk credibly about the relationship itself.

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:46am On Aug 07, 2014
JehovahFavor: Hello VO, thanks for the great job you are doing here. For one who is given visa under dv lottery, 6 months is the usual expiration period. Can the 6months be extended before expiration if one applies for it? Thanks for prompt response.

The usual expiration period actually matches the validity on the medical report. If a DV applicant can't travel by that date for a reason that is truly beyond his or her control, he or she will need to contact us by e-mail to see if we can reissue the visa. The end of the DV season is very close, and almost all the numbers have been exhausted, so I would strongly advise people to use the visas they have rather than taking a chance on getting replacement visas so close to the end of the season.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:05am On Aug 07, 2014
VCTROKOYE: If my green card petitioner becomes a citizen and the F2B becomes F1, will the reclassification affect the time I will go for interview? If it will affect, is it possible to request that the conversion should be revoked. Thanks

This is a good question and has been a big issue in immigration law. The extremely good news is that for most applicants, the change from F2B to F1 doesn't make a huge difference; in most of the world, the wait time for F1s right now is less than three months longer than for F2Bs.

Here's what happens. When an LPR parent files the I-130 for a child who would qualify for an F2A or F2B, and then the parent naturalizes, what matters is the age of the child on the date of naturalization. If the child is under 21, the visa category will be IR2. If the child is 21 or over, however, the visa category will be F1 (yes, even if the child was under 21 when the petition was filed).

Although the priority date (the date on which the petition was filed) stays the same, in some countries the cut-off date for F2B applicants is more favorable than for F1 applicants. So when a parent becomes a U.S. citizen and the visa category converts to F1, the wait for the priority date to become current for processing becomes longer.

Under Section 6 of the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA), you can request the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to reclassify you back to the F2B category. Your parent should contact USCIS to inform them that you wish to "opt out" of the automatic conversion to F1 and remain in the F2B category. (In fact, it's best to contact USCIS about this before the parent actually naturalizes.) Unfortunately, the application of this opt-out provision is not automatic; USCIS would have to approve your request, and they don't always. Again, though, the good news is that if it's not approved, the difference is only a few months. (Cut-off dates may change in the future, so opting out may become more popular than it is right now...)

Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lee818(f): 9:33am On Aug 07, 2014
Hi VO, i want to ask if i can expedite my ir5 processing at the nvc due to the outbreak of ebola in lagos. I live in california, and i need to get my mom out of lagos asap. she is my only parent. Also i am autistic adult(22yrs old). i was born in the u.s, in 1992, never left the united states.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:47am On Aug 07, 2014
lee818: Hi VO, i want to ask if i can expedite my ir5 processing at the nvc due to the outbreak of ebola in lagos. I live in california, and i need to get my mom out of lagos asap. she is my only parent. Also i am autistic adult(22yrs old). i was born in the u.s, in 1992, never left the united states.

We are not planning to expedite cases for that reason at this time.

You have my word that if there are any changes to existing immigration policies, I will post a notice in this forum immediately. But, at present, I have no changes to report.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 9:51am On Aug 07, 2014
‎Good morning VO,my cousin just picked up my passport and visa package from DHL and realized my nationality is written as Cameroonian. I was born in Cameroon to nigerian parents but my passport  indicates my nationality as nigerian. I'm wondering if it's going to be an issue and also if it has to be changed is it possible to have my cousin drop it off at the embassy?is it ok to have dual nationality?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:16am On Aug 07, 2014
marymary14: ‎Good morning VO,my cousin just picked up my passport and visa package from DHL and realized my nationality is written as Cameroonian. I was born in Cameroon to nigerian parents but my passport  indicates my nationality as nigerian. I'm wondering if it's going to be an issue and also if it has to be changed is it possible to have my cousin drop it off at the embassy?is it ok to have dual nationality?

It's okay to have dual nationality, but I'd like to know more about your case before I tell you everything will be fine. The fewer questions a person has to answer at the point of entry, the better! Please send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov so we can review the case for you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by marymary14(f): 10:26am On Aug 07, 2014
Ok! Thank you. Just mailed the embassy.
VisaOfficer:

It's okay to have dual nationality, but I'd like to know more about your case before I tell you everything will be fine. The fewer questions a person has to answer at the point of entry, the better! Please send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov so we can review the case for you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lee818(f): 11:22am On Aug 07, 2014
Thanks v.o for the prompt response
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ddream77: 11:55am On Aug 07, 2014
Dear V.O,
God bless you for all the good works.
You stated "almost all the numbers have been exhausted" thats for the DV visas. wow.... shocked sad
Does that mean I (we) that are on Administrative Processing should just forget about getting a visa?
Anyway I haven't heard from the embassy is my case being treated or on hold?
Today marks 30days of being on AP and 54 days to 30th of September.
Still hoping...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:22pm On Aug 07, 2014
Ddream77: Dear V.O,
God bless you for all the good works.
You stated "almost all the numbers have been exhausted" thats for the DV visas. wow.... shocked sad
Does that mean I (we) that are on Administrative Processing should just forget about getting a visa?
Anyway I haven't heard from the embassy is my case being treated or on hold?
Today marks 30days of being on AP and 54 days to 30th of September.
Still hoping...

We're doing all we can to resolve the cases that are on administrative processing well ahead of the deadline. But, as you know, we can't guarantee that we'll be able to do that. Don't give up hope just yet -- but it's also wise to manage your expectations, just in case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mmt333: 12:44pm On Aug 07, 2014
Dear Visa Officer,

I have been issue a 5 years visa last year, but I went to the USA to give birth and I paid all the hospital bill. I am now planning to go for vacation but I am afraid that the immigration will not let me in because during my visa interview last year I said I was not pregnant even though I was. And when I was making my baby visa before leaving the USA they happen to make a copy of my visa and kept it in the records.

Do you think I have any chance re-entering the USA even if my visa is still valid?

Thanks for responding
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:51pm On Aug 07, 2014
mmt333: Dear Visa Officer,

I have been issue a 5 years visa last year, but I went to the USA to give birth and I paid all the hospital bill. I am now planning to go for vacation but I am afraid that the immigration will not let me in because during my visa interview last year I said I was not pregnant even though I was. And when I was making my baby visa before leaving the USA they happen to make a copy of my visa and kept it in the records.

Do you think I have any chance re-entering the USA even if my visa is still valid?

Thanks for responding

This is really a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . But, by being less than honest, you may indeed have created a difficult situation for yourself.

Earlier this week I was browsing Nairaland and came across https://www.nairaland.com/1180581/im-afraid-applying-us-visa -- a thread by a woman in circumstances very close to yours. You may find it interesting. The moral of the story is that she decided to tell the truth regardless of the possible consequences, and she was allowed to enter the United States again.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ddream77: 1:30pm On Aug 07, 2014
Thanks V.O I understand. Besides I checked CEAC just before I sent you a post on here my status update was on 1st of August. And I just checked just after I read your response and my status update on there changed to 7th August.
Can you kindly explain the updates and changes in dates please, i'm very curious...
Or is it that anytime one makes enquiries on his/her case it updates (the embassy updates it)
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by miz4oxley(m): 1:48pm On Aug 07, 2014
Hello Ma,

I was able to make it down to drop my passport and immigrant summary package for the correction on my immigrant visa today.

I do appreciate your effort on here. Bless, and always.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:28pm On Aug 07, 2014
Ddream77: Thanks V.O I understand. Besides I checked CEAC just before I sent you a post on here my status update was on 1st of August. And I just checked just after I read your response and my status update on there changed to 7th August.
Can you kindly explain the updates and changes in dates please, i'm very curious...
Or is it that anytime one makes enquiries on his/her case it updates (the embassy updates it)
Thanks.

I have a confession: I do not know how CEAC statuses are updated. It must be something automatic -- I opened your case today after I read your message here, so maybe that changed the date you see when you check? I'll ask and try to find a substantive answer to this mystery.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Goodybag(m): 2:45pm On Aug 07, 2014
Hello VO, a good afternoon to you. Pls a quick one, I had serious arguement with lovely my parents this morningoooooo,lolz!! pls what is the wait time/period and procedures for I the principal applicant to invite them over before they chop me into pieces lol!! Eagerly waiting for your response, thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ddream77: 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2014
Hahaha... thanks a lot V.O grin. Thanks once again I think I now have an insight.
Besides, what is my case looking like, Good, Bad or Ugly?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:24pm On Aug 07, 2014
Goodybag: Hello VO, a good afternoon to you. Pls a quick one, I had serious arguement with lovely my parents this morningoooooo,lolz!! pls what is the wait time/period and procedures for I the principal applicant to invite them over before they chop me into pieces lol!! Eagerly waiting for your response, thanks

I am afraid to answer this question because your parents are not going to like the answer! Okay, maybe they will. You have to be a citizen to file for your parents. As soon as you naturalize, you can file the I-130 for each parent. As soon as that case is documentarily complete at the National Visa Center (i.e., it depends how fast and organized you are), NVC will schedule an interview with us. It does NVC a few months to process cases, and then a couple months for the interview to be scheduled... for instance, last week they asked me how many cases we can handle in October. (My answer was "All of them. Whatever you have. Give them to us." We have no backlog!)

But they will have to wait for you to become a U.S. citizen first.

Please remind them that if they chop you into pieces it will be very difficult, physically, for you to file anything for anyone.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.