Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,534 members, 7,830,579 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (207) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (679659 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nalacandi(f): 6:42pm On Aug 29, 2015
Hi VO,

I don't know if you remember me, but my husband was approved and arrived in March from Nigeria. I was told that we could not file for his parents to come here to live unless my husband becomes a U.S. Citizen. Is this true? Can we only file for them to visit?

Thanks,

nalacandi
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olukenny12: 9:01pm On Aug 29, 2015
hello,

pls next week wednesday we b d two week I was told dt my dna result we get to d embassy pls will I be call that same day and we they schedule a time I will come and drop my passport.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 9:33pm On Aug 29, 2015
Dear vo,

I wi like to know what are the bills we are expected to pay whenym out case get to the consulate here in Nigeria?

I was told we are going to pay for interview fee. How much is it and what other expenses should we be expecting? As i and my husband want to plan towards it.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by damabib(m): 9:48pm On Aug 29, 2015
VisaOfficer:

It should reopen automatically, but there have been some computer glitches lately. My advice is to e-mail LagosIV@state.gov and ask them to escalate the problem to the help desk.
its not open just go to old ones n can't be Edited n even I was requested to bring new ones ! Cos its over a year I submitted it ,email sent to notify dem still no responce ! Confused Maybe I wiil used d old ones !
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hajj123(m): 11:25pm On Aug 29, 2015
Thanks VO pls how long does it normally takes for I-130 spouse immigrant visa to be approved?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jinggles(f): 6:09am On Aug 30, 2015
Hi VO,
Trust you day is going fine. I'm still waiting for your response.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jinggles(f): 6:15am On Aug 30, 2015
jinggles:
Hello Visaofficer,
I have a question. I just got married last year and I'm a citizen but I work here in Nigeria. I plan to file an I-130 for my husband cause we plan to relocate next year. Can I do that here in Nigeria?.
Thank you and Regards
My kind VO,
Your response would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Politico: 8:10am On Aug 30, 2015
VisaOfficer:

221g is the refusal code for cases that are pending. Sometimes it's as simple as "We can't continue until you submit a new affidavit of support [for instance]." But it's also the refusal code for cases that are pending a final decision from USCIS after being returned to them. Once a case has been returned, the next action is the USCIS decision -- but when a petition has expired, they usually don't review the case. Any chance for appeal would come after the USCIS decision -- so often there's no opportunity to appeal a K case. The petitioner is, however, free to file a new petition.
I have a reative with the same kinda of situation. he's actually been interviewed and his case was on AP for close to a year. now he's been scheduled to appear again but some of his docs have expired. like police report , medical and most importantly. the sponsor's affidavit of support. what do u suggest . he's actually F2b. thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by HesInMe: 4:53pm On Aug 30, 2015
What's the maximum time allowed from CR1 visa approval at interview to printing of the visa stamp, please? My visa was recently approved by Lagos but because of urgent travel I couldn't leave my passport behind. I know the US government runs on an Oct-Sept calendar so I'm worried I may lose the visa if I don't turn in my passport before late September. All other documentation -- police certificate, medicals -- expire in about 6 months or longer. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:27pm On Aug 30, 2015
medeay:
cant my wife sign the 2 for both of us?

No. Each party to the petition must provide his or her original signature where required.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:29pm On Aug 30, 2015
jinggles:
Hello Visaofficer,
I have a question. I just got married last year and I'm a citizen but I work here in Nigeria. I plan to file an I-130 for my husband cause we plan to relocate next year. Can I do that here in Nigeria?.
Thank you and Regards

Greetings! The I-130 requires that the petitioner provide a U.S. mailing address, and the visa cannot be issued unless the petitioner is domiciled in the United States (or unless the officer is convinced that the petitioner intends to return to the U.S. with the beneficiary). So, while technically you can file the petition from Nigeria by mailing it to the U.S., there are some complications if you're not physically present in the U.S.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:31pm On Aug 30, 2015
nalacandi:
Hi VO,

I don't know if you remember me, but my husband was approved and arrived in March from Nigeria. I was told that we could not file for his parents to come here to live unless my husband becomes a U.S. Citizen. Is this true? Can we only file for them to visit?

Thanks,

nalacandi

I do remember you! Hope all is well. smiley

A Legal Permanent Resident cannot file an immigrant petition for his or her parents -- only a U.S. citizen can do that. Your husband's parents are free to apply for non-immigrant visas, but there is no petition you can file for them at this point in time.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:31pm On Aug 30, 2015
olukenny12:
hello,

pls next week wednesday we b d two week I was told dt my dna result we get to d embassy pls will I be call that same day and we they schedule a time I will come and drop my passport.

I've already answered this question for you on a couple of occasions. smiley

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:34pm On Aug 30, 2015
winnie123:
Dear vo,

I wi like to know what are the bills we are expected to pay whenym out case get to the consulate here in Nigeria?

I was told we are going to pay for interview fee. How much is it and what other expenses should we be expecting? As i and my husband want to plan towards it.

Thank you.

If the petitioner has not yet paid the interview fee, you will have to pay when you come for your interview. At present that fee is $325 per person. The panel physician charges a fee for the medical exam (please check with the panel physician to find out what that fee is), and I believe there's a charge for the police certificate as well.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:35pm On Aug 30, 2015
hajj123:
Thanks VO pls how long does it normally takes for I-130 spouse immigrant visa to be approved?

It generally takes six to eight months for a petition to be approved.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:36pm On Aug 30, 2015
Hi VO,
Trust you day is going fine. I'm still waiting for your response.
Thanks

Please don't expect an immediate response, especially on a weekend. Also, no need to repost a question if 12 hours pass without hearing from me. I try not to spend all my time indoors, you know. smiley

Thanks!

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:37pm On Aug 30, 2015
Politico:
I have a reative with the same kinda of situation. he's actually been interviewed and his case was on AP for close to a year. now he's been scheduled to appear again but some of his docs have expired. like police report , medical and most importantly. the sponsor's affidavit of support. what do u suggest . he's actually F2b. thanks

He should wait until he speaks with an officer before renewing his expired documents. His case might not be ready for issuance yet.

Also, affidavits of support do not expire. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:39pm On Aug 30, 2015
HesInMe:
What's the maximum time allowed from CR1 visa approval at interview to printing of the visa stamp, please? My visa was recently approved by Lagos but because of urgent travel I couldn't leave my passport behind. I know the US government runs on an Oct-Sept calendar so I'm worried I may lose the visa if I don't turn in my passport before late September. All other documentation -- police certificate, medicals -- expire in about 6 months or longer. Thanks!

There is no maximum amount of time. We aim for five business days, and usually the process is very quick, but sometimes new information or computer problems can lead to lengthy delays in the printing of a visa even when the officer has stated that the visa is approved.

The fiscal year has no effect on CR1 visas, so don't worry about that.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Politico: 6:29pm On Aug 30, 2015
VisaOfficer:

He should wait until he speaks with an officer before renewing his expired documents. His case might not be ready for issuance yet.

Also, affidavits of support do not expire. smiley
thanks for the response. . . . forwarded your response to him. but got a replied now that he actually meant the tax docs. the. latest submitted by them was for year 2013, i think it was filed in 2014. thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ejiro2006(f): 6:43pm On Aug 30, 2015
Hello VO,

Does the fiscal year have effect on F4 visas?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by damabib(m): 6:57pm On Aug 30, 2015

Also, affidavits of support do not expire. smiley[/quote] Embassy calls n given an another Appointment After Over one year in AP but just request for Passport ,police certificate,medical , n new Ds 260 ! Pls just wana ask if dere is any oda things its required or u thinks my last tax returns submited is 2013! Pls if its all okay just to get prepared ahead? ! Lastly I mail to enable filled new DS260 its not allowed stills ! Thx for ur useful responce Ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:40pm On Aug 30, 2015
Politico:
thanks for the response. . . . forwarded your response to him. but got a replied now that he actually meant the tax docs. the. latest submitted by them was for year 2013, i think it was filed in 2014. thanks

The officer will let the applicant know if more recent tax documents are needed.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:41pm On Aug 30, 2015
ejiro2006:
Hello VO,

Does the fiscal year have effect on F4 visas?

The simple answer is: No, at least not from the applicants' point of view. From the applicants' point of view, only Diversity Visas are affected by the fiscal year coming to an end.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:43pm On Aug 30, 2015
damabib:

Also, affidavits of support do not expire. smiley Embassy calls n given an another Appointment After Over one year in AP but just request for Passport ,police certificate,medical , n new Ds 260 ! Pls just wana ask if dere is any oda things its required or u thinks my last tax returns submited is 2013! Pls if its all okay just to get prepared ahead? ! Lastly I mail to enable filled new DS260 its not allowed stills ! Thx for ur useful responce Ma

The officer will let you know if anything else is needed. I have no way of knowing, as I'm not involved in the case.

It will take some time (maybe even several days) for the help desk to deal with your issue. Please be patient.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Man27: 10:02pm On Aug 30, 2015
Hello ma,

My wife filed an I-130 petition for me and asked to do a Dna test to prove I was the father of our almost 4year old child which we did and at the next interview I was told the test results proved I wasn't the father and so the petition would be revoked. This happened in May 2015 and I was told we would be contacted in 60 days after the case was sent back to the USCIS for revocation and up till now we haven't heard back. We would like to know the status of the case so as to know how to appeal because we are shocked at the results of the DNA and even at that it's my wife who filed for me and not my son so am not sure how this is grounds for revocation. I would sincerely appreciate if you can give us any concrete insight as to the process .

Many thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by chineloSA(f): 10:24pm On Aug 30, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Please don't expect an immediate response, especially on a weekend. Also, no need to repost a question if 12 hours pass without hearing from me. I try not to spend all my time indoors, you know. smiley

Thanks!

grin grin VO, why are you like this nau? grin grin grin grin

You are no longer VO, you are Discipline Officer !! grin grin

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jinggles(f): 1:17am On Aug 31, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! The I-130 requires that the petitioner provide a U.S. mailing address, and the visa cannot be issued unless the petitioner is domiciled in the United States (or unless the officer is convinced that the petitioner intends to return to the U.S. with the beneficiary). So, while technically you can file the petition from Nigeria by mailing it to the U.S., there are some complications if you're not physically present in the U.S.
Thank you so much for your response, but my parents stay in US and I go home almost every year when in on leave. Can I use that address?
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:10am On Aug 31, 2015
Man27:
Hello ma,

My wife filed an I-130 petition for me and asked to do a Dna test to prove I was the father of our almost 4year old child which we did and at the next interview I was told the test results proved I wasn't the father and so the petition would be revoked. This happened in May 2015 and I was told we would be contacted in 60 days after the case was sent back to the USCIS for revocation and up till now we haven't heard back. We would like to know the status of the case so as to know how to appeal because we are shocked at the results of the DNA and even at that it's my wife who filed for me and not my son so am not sure how this is grounds for revocation. I would sincerely appreciate if you can give us any concrete insight as to the process .

Many thanks

It sounds like the officer wasn't convinced that you and your wife have a bona fide spousal relationship, but would have been willing to issue if the child was your child. When the DNA test came back negative, I imagine the officer interpreted the result as evidence that was not in your favor.

It can take USCIS several weeks to contact petitioners. They try to do so within 60 days, but it can take much longer.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:11am On Aug 31, 2015
chineloSA:

grin grin VO, why are you like this nau? grin grin grin grin

You are no longer VO, you are Discipline Officer !! grin grin

Gloves off! smiley

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:12am On Aug 31, 2015
jinggles:

Thank you so much for your response, but my parents stay in US and I go home almost every year when in on leave. Can I use that address?
Thanks.

You can use it as a mailing address... but no visa will be issued until you are domiciled in the U.S.

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.