Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,080 members, 7,835,644 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (204) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (680135 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:48pm On Aug 26, 2015
justwise:
@VisaOfficer

Sorry the software got you again...i don't know what you have done to it lately grin

Maybe I accidentally used a censored word. smiley Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:48pm On Aug 26, 2015
Abatoy:
Hi VO, my fiancé went for interview Feb 2015 and was issued 221g. The case was returned to USCIS. I called USCIS after the case expired in April to asked if I can file another K1 petition but i was told not to because the case is being reviewed. USCIS said I will get a response when the case is reviewed. My question is, can my fiancé apply for a visiting Visa? I change my job and I can't take anytime off at the moment from work. My employer are willing to write me a letter stating that I can get a time off at the moment. Thanks.

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:49pm On Aug 26, 2015
olukenny12:
hello

my dad wife in u.s have spoken with the u.s lab and she was told that they will send my dna result to the embassy on the 08/27/2015 so what date did e likely, I will ask to come to the embassy?

You'll probably hear from the Consulate within two weeks after the results are received. I have no way of knowing when you'd be asked to return. It depends what their schedule looks like and how many appointments they have booked.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:50pm On Aug 26, 2015
Rudolfchris:

I was 28years old when the petition was filed and I'm not married.

So your visa category is F1. Right now F1 petitions filed on or before Nov. 1, 2007, are eligible to be scheduled for interviews.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:51pm On Aug 26, 2015
Omoare80:
Hi VO. Thanks for your previous adevise about getting new passport which I already have a new passport with my correct age. NVC sent us a checklist email early this month requesting for Civil document that my wife already sent to them since June but I read from many forums talking about false checklist and my wife called NVC which the documents was confirmed by NVC on their system. They advised my wife not to send the documents cos it will be delayed for another 30 days and they put it on supervisor review... Now so many people are getting September interview date already on VJ forum in their countries. Please VO I want to know if NVC already scheduled September interview for IR1 visa categories in Nigeria it's my 4 months now with NVC...

Yes, NVC has already scheduled September interviews for all the visa categories they handle.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by MrNesta: 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2015
visaofficer, the consulate did respond about records showing that my visa app is still processing and they will notify me when its ready for collection. Thank you for throwing more light on that. Bless.
VisaOfficer:

Yes. Right up until you have your visa in your hands, many things can happen. In most cases, everything is fine, but sometimes new derogatory information comes to light, there's a technical glitch, etc. These are only a small percentage of cases, but in the interest of answering your question accurately: Yes.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ghanalady2: 6:10pm On Aug 26, 2015
Dear Vo,you are an amazing Co.am actually a silent reader for more than a year and I applaud you for your fantastic responses towards questions bothering people.may the Lord keep blessing you each passing day.hmmmm u departing nairaland always sudden my heart and I just wish and pray your next post is Ghana.Ghana embassy is too tough and it really heart seeing people heart broken having legitimate relationship being refused.
Please my question is does previous non immigration refusal affect my immigrant visa application?.this is because in 2010 my husband who was then my boyfriend invited me when I completed university And I was refused though I stated it as a friend then.second time I was refused again when he sent me an invite,third time we applied for a k1 visa I was refused not having enough evidence.hmmm.in 2013 we got married and I went to London to do my masters program whilst there he filed cr1 visa for me but I was so lonely and all by myself and wanted to go and visit him because I was pregnant then and school was on break and when I went to embassy I was refused and the CO advised me to wait for my impending immigrant visa.when I gave birth my husband came and we did my sons crba and he became a citizen and after six months my cr1 was not approved and it was not easy taking care of my son alone Alone and also writing my thesis.so 2014 the stress was so much getting on me and I tried again and I still refused because on my intending application so I decided to come back home immediately to be with my family.and now my ir1 has been approved awaiting to be scheduled for an interview in Accra.please will the above refusal affect my case.i have never change any information except when I wrote friend instead of boyfriend In 2010.is really being a tough journey for me and my son who needs his dad.now am just hoping for a successful interview.thank you for reading such a long rant.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:44pm On Aug 26, 2015
Ghanalady2:
Dear Vo,you are an amazing Co.am actually a silent reader for more than a year and I applaud you for your fantastic responses towards questions bothering people.may the Lord keep blessing you each passing day.hmmmm u departing nairaland always sudden my heart and I just wish and pray your next post is Ghana.Ghana embassy is too tough and it really heart seeing people heart broken having legitimate relationship being refused.
Please my question is does previous non immigration refusal affect my immigrant visa application?.this is because in 2010 my husband who was then my boyfriend invited me when I completed university And I was refused though I stated it as a friend then.second time I was refused again when he sent me an invite,third time we applied for a k1 visa I was refused not having enough evidence.hmmm.in 2013 we got married and I went to London to do my masters program whilst there he filed cr1 visa for me but I was so lonely and all by myself and wanted to go and visit him because I was pregnant then and school was on break and when I went to embassy I was refused and the CO advised me to wait for my impending immigrant visa.when I gave birth my husband came and we did my sons crba and he became a citizen and after six months my cr1 was not approved and it was not easy taking care of my son alone Alone and also writing my thesis.so 2014 the stress was so much getting on me and I tried again and I still refused because on my intending application so I decided to come back home immediately to be with my family.and now my ir1 has been approved awaiting to be scheduled for an interview in Accra.please will the above refusal affect my case.i have never change any information except when I wrote friend instead of boyfriend In 2010.is really being a tough journey for me and my son who needs his dad.now am just hoping for a successful interview.thank you for reading such a long rant.

Greetings Ghanalady,

You have had quite the journey. Based on what you've written, your previous non-immigrant visa refusals won't pose a problem. In fact, in a way they're additional evidence of your ongoing relationship with your spouse!

I'm assuming all your refusals (except for the K) were 214(b)s. Is that correct?

Best of luck in your interview and thank you for the kind words!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ghanalady2: 9:51pm On Aug 26, 2015
Yes please they were all 214(b).thanks so much atleast I can feel a bit calm waiting for the interview date. Hmmmm the separation have been very tough for us but we are waiting for Gods appointed time to be together.you have no idea how much I appreciate you.Thank you so much once again and God continue to bless you.have a wonderful day my dearest CO.

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by julianaopeyemi1: 10:38pm On Aug 26, 2015
Dear vo, Please I have been schedule for a diversity visa interview, I was born in Benin republic but am married to a Nigerian man with a kid. I am holding a Nigerian passport which indicate my place of birth as Benin while my spouse and our kid also hold a Nigeria passport. My question now is can I go for the interview with Nigeria passport indicating my place of birth as benin. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Abigalbee98(f): 1:20am On Aug 27, 2015
Hi vo,
i just want u to enlight me more on dis diversity visa lottery am turning 21 in 2016 and my mum is from cotonu she married a nigerian nd we have been in nigerian 4 so long....my mum dead in 2010 due to some sickness....i just wana ask if i can choose cotonu has my country pls enlight me...am a first tymer.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DpdNKerosene(f): 3:28am On Aug 27, 2015
Ohh, I know how much you love policy and procedure questions so here it goes:

I read where you wrote this:

VisaOfficer:

Greetings! If your husband has already been informed that he is ineligible under INA 212(a)(6)(C)(i), and knows what led to that finding, in my opinion it's all right to go ahead and file the I-601 ahead of time. Just make it clear in the application that you're filing in advance of an immigrant visa interview. Good luck!

As I've posted before, my fiance has misrepresented himself but has not yet gone to be officially told that he is ineligible, I'm assuming that will happen during his K1 interview. Could he apply for a visitor's visa to get the official "ineligible" so we can file the waiver before we get his K1 interview? Even though it would be extra money to do the visitor's visa- maybe it could save us time by having the waiver already being in the queue to be worked on? Does that make sense? Is it even possible? It's probably a long shot but I thought I would ask!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ajigiteri(m): 8:18am On Aug 27, 2015
Dear VO,
I attended an interview in February this year for k1 visa. Unfortunately my application was revoked and send back to US. My fiance called USCIS afterwards and she was told that the application is being reviewed. Also, she was told not to make another filing since we have a pending case. We have have been waiting since February to hear from USCIS but up to this moment the case is still being reviewed. Please what do you suggest we do? We intend to get married this year in the States.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ototoyi: 9:20am On Aug 27, 2015
My progress so far

VISA type : J1
Interview: 11th of August
and i was instructed to check back today for an update.

My fingers are crossed in hope as I race against time

Just an update
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ototoyi: 9:23am On Aug 27, 2015
ototoyi:
Good morning VISA officer.
I had my interview on the 11th of August for a J1 VISA for a Masters degree in the States (my sponsors insisted on J1 so I could be subject to the 2 year residency requirement).

My VISA was approved and I was told to pick up in 3 days. I went to the pickup center but my passport wasn't there. I emailed LagosNIV and they said its still being processed and that they'ld contact me when its ready.

Its almost 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anythiing. I am so worried because my school has given me until the 28th of August to arrive otherwise I lose a year and lose my full scholarship.

I thought the consulate was considerate of students and resumption dates but it doesn't look like that anymore

Please what can I do in my case?
Passport no: A04503391
Thank you

My progress so far

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by winnie123: 9:41am On Aug 27, 2015
Dear vo,

Please i will like you to clear me on this, Our case is presently with the NVC. My husband filed in for me using my maiden name (i.e my father's name as surname) instead of my marriage name (which is his surname). And my passport is bearing my marriage name, hope that would not affect anything?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 9:47am On Aug 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Maybe I accidentally used a censored word. smiley Thanks!

Nope. I'm pretty sure of that grin
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Abigalbee98(f): 12:06pm On Aug 27, 2015
Good morning,VO
pls am new here and want you to enlight me more on dis dv lottery,my dad is a nigeria and my mum is from cotonu,they meet when my dad travelled dere for some issue and dey married,what i wanna ask is dat can i registerd using my mum country but unfortunately my mum died 2010 due to a fire accident in my area den and my birth certificate 2 has been destroy my the fire...pls how can i go about it just enlight me more cause i dont wanna forged a birth certificate...
I will be happy if u can grant my question.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by godfather007: 12:59pm On Aug 27, 2015
Hi VO...Just want to ask how long "max" does NVC take to review approved i129f (one that's already been assigned a case number) before its sent to consulates worldwide? How long does it take to get to the consulates?... How long till interview date once the consulates received it from NVC? As the beneficiary , Is it possible to pick your own interview date ?

Thanks for your sincere , relentless and continued support!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ariblaze(m): 3:00pm On Aug 27, 2015
Please this question is directed at all not the VO

VO,

Hope you dont mind?

All

Please if i want to obtain the police character report for immigration purposes, where and how do i get one and what are the things i need to have when going?

Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by john2son5: 3:25pm On Aug 27, 2015
Hello dear VO,

My wife is filing I-130 for me.

Can I get the police certificate in any police station here in Nigeria or there is a specific police station to get it from?
My application has reached that point, your quick response is highly needed.

Thanks alot Ma'am and God bless you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:39pm On Aug 27, 2015
julianaopeyemi1:
Dear vo, Please I have been schedule for a diversity visa interview, I was born in Benin republic but am married to a Nigerian man with a kid. I am holding a Nigerian passport which indicate my place of birth as Benin while my spouse and our kid also hold a Nigeria passport. My question now is can I go for the interview with Nigeria passport indicating my place of birth as benin. Thanks

Yes, if you are a Nigerian citizen born in Benin, you can use a Nigerian passport showing your place of birth as Benin.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:41pm On Aug 27, 2015
Abigalbee98:
Hi vo,
i just want u to enlight me more on dis diversity visa lottery am turning 21 in 2016 and my mum is from cotonu she married a nigerian nd we have been in nigerian 4 so long....my mum dead in 2010 due to some sickness....i just wana ask if i can choose cotonu has my country pls enlight me...am a first tymer.

Here is the policy. I'll leave it to you to decide which country you can charge to.

1. What do the terms “native” and “chargeability” mean?

Native ordinarily means someone born in a particular country, regardless of the individual’s current country of
residence or nationality. Native can also mean someone who is entitled to be charged to a country other than
the one in which he/she was born under the provisions of Section 202(b) of the Immigration and Nationality
Act.

Because a numerical limitation is placed on immigrants entering from a country or geographic region, each
individual is charged to a country. Your chargeability refers to the country whose limitation you count
towards.

2. Can I still apply if I was not born in a qualifying country?

There are two circumstances in which you still might be eligible to apply. First, if your derivative spouse was
born in an eligible country, you may claim chargeability to that country. As your eligibility is based on your
spouse, you will only be issued a DV-1 immigrant visa if your spouse is also eligible for and issued a DV-2
visa. Both of you must enter the United States together using your DVs. Similarly, your minor dependent
child can be “charged” to a parent’s country of birth.

Second, you can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither of your
parents was born in or a resident of your country of birth at the time of your birth. People are not generally
considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized, if they were only visiting,
studying in the country temporarily, or stationed temporarily for business or professional reasons on behalf of
a company or government from a different country other than the one in which you were born.

If you claim alternate chargeability through either of the above, you must provide an explanation on the E-DV
Entry Form, in question #6.

Listing an incorrect country of eligibility or chargeability (i.e., one to which you cannot establish a valid claim)
may disqualify your entry.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:44pm On Aug 27, 2015
DpdNKerosene:
Ohh, I know how much you love policy and procedure questions so here it goes:

I read where you wrote this: ...

As I've posted before, my fiance has misrepresented himself but has not yet gone to be officially told that he is ineligible, I'm assuming that will happen during his K1 interview. Could he apply for a visitor's visa to get the official "ineligible" so we can file the waiver before we get his K1 interview? Even though it would be extra money to do the visitor's visa- maybe it could save us time by having the waiver already being in the queue to be worked on? Does that make sense? Is it even possible? It's probably a long shot but I thought I would ask!

I do love policy and procedure questions! Your fiance could apply for a non-immigrant visa, but frankly he's likely to be refused 214(b) as an intending immigrant if his sole reason for applying is to find out if he's going to have an ineligibility for his K1 visa. I could be wrong -- there could be more to the story than what you've posted for my eyes. It's up to you and him, of course.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:22pm On Aug 27, 2015
ajigiteri:
Dear VO,
I attended an interview in February this year for k1 visa. Unfortunately my application was revoked and send back to US. My fiance called USCIS afterwards and she was told that the application is being reviewed. Also, she was told not to make another filing since we have a pending case. We have have been waiting since February to hear from USCIS but up to this moment the case is still being reviewed. Please what do you suggest we do? We intend to get married this year in the States.

It's up to you and your fiance. The petitioner is free to file a new petition if that's what you decide.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:24pm On Aug 27, 2015
ototoyi:

My progress so far

Just an update

This is not the appropriate thread for these updates. When you have a specific question, please post it to either the non-immigrant or immigrant visa thread, as appropriate. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:25pm On Aug 27, 2015
winnie123:
Dear vo,

Please i will like you to clear me on this, Our case is presently with the NVC. My husband filed in for me using my maiden name (i.e my father's name as surname) instead of my marriage name (which is his surname). And my passport is bearing my marriage name, hope that would not affect anything?

If your legal name is your married name, your husband should have used it when he filed the petition. But you can correct that when you fill out the online DS-260. The visa, if issued, will reflect the name in your passport.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:27pm On Aug 27, 2015
Abigalbee98:
Good morning,VO
pls am new here and want you to enlight me more on dis dv lottery,my dad is a nigeria and my mum is from cotonu,they meet when my dad travelled dere for some issue and dey married,what i wanna ask is dat can i registerd using my mum country but unfortunately my mum died 2010 due to a fire accident in my area den and my birth certificate 2 has been destroy my the fire...pls how can i go about it just enlight me more cause i dont wanna forged a birth certificate...
I will be happy if u can grant my question.

You should be able to obtain a replacement birth certificate (or attestation of birth) from a government office.

Also, please review my earlier response to you to be sure you would qualify to charge to Benin based on your parents' citizenship.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:30pm On Aug 27, 2015
godfather007:
Hi VO...Just want to ask how long "max" does NVC take to review approved i129f (one that's already been assigned a case number) before its sent to consulates worldwide? How long does it take to get to the consulates?... How long till interview date once the consulates received it from NVC? As the beneficiary , Is it possible to pick your own interview date ?

Thanks for your sincere , relentless and continued support!

It depends on a variety of factors. It usually takes six to eight months at least for a petition to be approved, then a few weeks for it to arrive at post. At that point the petitioner is contacted with information about how to make an appointment (and you pick the date yourself from the dates available). I don't know when the next available K visa appointment is, as I am no longer in Nigeria.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:31pm On Aug 27, 2015
john2son5:
Hello dear VO,

My wife is filing I-130 for me.

Can I get the police certificate in any police station here in Nigeria or there is a specific police station to get it from?
My application has reached that point, your quick response is highly needed.

Thanks alot Ma'am and God bless you.

I don't know the answer to this question. Perhaps our fellow Nairalanders can enlighten us.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by akatonero(m): 6:45pm On Aug 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

I don;t know the answer to this question. Perhaps our fellow Nairalanders can enlighten us.
You can get that in any police command headquarters in any state. Original must be sent to nvc.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.