Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,942 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678275 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:57pm On Sep 24, 2014
sulley: Great job here VO, we appreciate you and God bless you.

Please, i need your kind clarification below;

My sister in law(a US citizen) is intending to file Form I-130 on my wife behalf ASAP. My concern here now is that we only did a traditional wedding and blessed with two kids smiley, though a plan is in place for our Legal wedding but not so soon. In the mean time, is it possible for her to use marital name in part C1 of the form then use her birth name(maiden name) in part C7 of the same form? If yes, what are the implications of this at the moment and future? Your kind professional advise and suggestions will be well appreciated

Thanks.

Greetings! Your wife should use whatever her LEGAL name is right now in all parts of the form. If her name changes later due to legal marriage, she can show her marriage certificate at the time of her interview.

Hope this helps!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 24, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Your wife should use whatever her LEGAL name is right now in all parts of the form. If her name changes later due to legal marriage, she can show her marriage certificate at the time of her interview.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the swift response. Basically, her LEGAL name will be her birth name. Any effect on marital status while filling the form? Because we intend ticking on "Married", whereas she will be using her LEGAL name.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omega2128(m): 3:06pm On Sep 24, 2014
Good day Ma,
My baby is getting his first US passport. What do I need to do here as a father since my name is not on his birth certificate?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:25pm On Sep 24, 2014
omega2128: Good day Ma,
My baby is getting his first US passport. What do I need to do here as a father since my name is not on his birth certificate?

Please e-mail LagosACS@state.gov with this question. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:26pm On Sep 24, 2014
sulley:
Thanks for the swift response. Basically, her LEGAL name will be her birth name. Any effect on marital status while filling the form? Because we intend ticking on "Married", whereas she will be using her LEGAL name.

As long as she can present a marriage certificate and you can talk credibly about your relationship, everything should be fine!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omega2128(m): 3:29pm On Sep 24, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Please e-mail LagosACS@state.gov with this question. Thanks!
Thank you so much, I'll do it right now
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 24, 2014
VisaOfficer:

As long as she can present a marriage certificate and you can talk credibly about your relationship, everything should be fine!

Thanks a lot...wow, if not you and nairaland, we would have done a wrong filling by using her marital name. God bless you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:16pm On Sep 24, 2014
sulley:

Thanks a lot...wow, if not you and nairaland, we would have done a wrong filling by using her marital name. God bless you.

Well, it wouldn't be the end of the world if you did use her married name. The interview is a great time to get everything straightened out. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 1:01pm On Sep 25, 2014
Good day VO. Im back again with some questions. I have way over two thousand pages of whatsapp messages between fiance and I. How on earth am I going to print them all as per evidence when coming for interview? How much is enough?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:10pm On Sep 25, 2014
@VO
this got me thinking. How much is enough? How many visits do VO's consider enough before they consider the applicant for a spousal visa?

What proof do you guys look out for?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:09pm On Sep 25, 2014
islet: Good day VO. Im back again with some questions. I have way over two thousand pages of whatsapp messages between fiance and I. How on earth am I going to print them all as per evidence when coming for interview? How much is enough?

Please don't bring 2000 pages. Just print out a few here and there to show your relationship continuing over time. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:10pm On Sep 25, 2014
jennykadry: @VO
this got me thinking. How much is enough? How many visits do VO's consider enough before they consider the applicant for a spousal visa?

What proofs do you guys look out for?

Every relationship is different. We can't tell you what to bring, what "proofs" there might be, or how many times people should see each other.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olabowalebiyi: 2:35pm On Sep 25, 2014
Darling,amiable,sweet,swift,efficient,diligent,hardworking,attentive,kind, i'm short of the adjectives to qualify you with!
Thanks so much for your advice and swiftness as regards our case. Got an e-mail from the embassy immediately I posted here about having not heard from them, was scheduled for yesterday which I went with my son and went back today to pick our visas.
On behalf of my family,i say thank you so much and may u be greatly rewarded by Almighty. My son (Mofolaoluwasayo) is blowing U a million kisses n big bear hugs.

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
Good day ma/sir
Please i need ur help on this issue,i got this mail from the embassy,
please what does this really mean(You should come for the follow-up interview, you will be instructed how to proceed with their case during the interview, and advised when to return with any additional documents).
Thanks in advance
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
You are doing a very wonderful job here Visaofficer, may all your dreams come true

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ykjnr(m): 10:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
Hi Consular,
Kindly help a friend out. this is the recap of what i wrote on NIV thread yesterday. "Hi VO,
Recently, I advised a friend not to patronize a visa agent and presently he is of the opinion that i misguided him. the current picture of the scenario is thus: He applied for US visiting visa last year through an agent and was denied and presently he has been invited to an induction/get together by a networking organisation based in US as the sole representative here in Nigeria. he have filled DS 160 form on his own (based on my advice) but at the point of scheduling an appointment he was told that he previously have a PROFILE with a particular email address (the email that was used by the agent last year) He sent a mail explaining the true situation about the whole agent issue and ask the Consulate to recognize his new profile and he got a response to send his Passport data page and open a new email address which he did, he was later sent an email on Friday 19/09/2014 that his new email has been recognized that he should wait for a new generated password that will be send to him before he can access the new profile and schedule an appointment. Now he has sent series of email to the desk support services but yet to get a response for the new password as indicated in the last email. He have also call your phone line non-stop without success (actually i too help him dialed up the phone number to no avail). The event he plan on attending is fast approaching and yet he is yet to get the new password from your office that will enable him to schedule an appointment. The guy is presently at a dilemma, is in fact regretting not engaging the service of the agent. NB: IT WAS WRITING OF YOUR WEBSITE THAT RESPONSE IS WITHIN 24 -48 HOURS. His case number: Case-2014-09-18-004002796. Please use your good office to help on the situation and restore his faith in DIY as advocate by your good office. Thanks"
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 26, 2014
kudos vo, I met a lady online about seven months ago and we have been having an amazing relationship ever since. we plan to get married when she comes to Nigeria sometime next year on a short visit and she intends to file an i130 for me as soon as she returns to the US. but something has been bothering me and its the fact that she was previously married to a Ghanian who entered the US.with a business visa but the marriage only lasted for two and half years. i want to know what my chances are
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:50am On Sep 26, 2014
olabowalebiyi: Darling,amiable,sweet,swift,efficient,diligent,hardworking,attentive,kind, i'm short of the adjectives to qualify you with!
Thanks so much for your advice and swiftness as regards our case. Got an e-mail from the embassy immediately I posted here about having not heard from them, was scheduled for yesterday which I went with my son and went back today to pick our visas.
On behalf of my family,i say thank you so much and may u be greatly rewarded by Almighty. My son (Mofolaoluwasayo) is blowing U a million kisses n big bear hugs.

HURRAY! YOU GOT YOUR VISAS!!!! I'm so glad. There are three business days left in the 2014 Diversity Visa season, and I have to tell you, the world has printed almost all of the available Diversity Visas. Every year we can issue 50,000 DVs, and we are literally down to the last few dozen visas that will be printed today, Monday, and Tuesday. It's exciting and a little scary.

For the record, here in Nigeria we should be able to issue visas for ALL our approved cases. smiley

(Note: People whose cases are in administrative processing are not approved -- their cases are still pending resolution. We're working hard to see how many of those cases can be resolved before midnight, Sept. 30.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:52am On Sep 26, 2014
tobiloba05: Good day ma/sir
Please i need ur help on this issue,i got this mail from the embassy,
please what does this really mean(You should come for the follow-up interview, you will be instructed how to proceed with their case during the interview, and advised when to return with any additional documents).
Thanks in advance

It means that the officer needs more information before he or she can make a decision, and wants to talk to you again. My guess is that if the DNA test with your mother turned out well, we now have questions about your mother's relationship with the petitioner.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:53am On Sep 26, 2014
ykjnr: Hi Consular,
Kindly help a friend out. this is the recap of what i wrote on NIV thread yesterday. "Hi VO,
Recently, I advised a friend not to patronize a visa agent and presently he is of the opinion that i misguided him. the current picture of the scenario is thus: He applied for US visiting visa last year through an agent and was denied and presently he has been invited to an induction/get together by a networking organisation based in US as the sole representative here in Nigeria. he have filled DS 160 form on his own (based on my advice) but at the point of scheduling an appointment he was told that he previously have a PROFILE with a particular email address (the email that was used by the agent last year) He sent a mail explaining the true situation about the whole agent issue and ask the Consulate to recognize his new profile and he got a response to send his Passport data page and open a new email address which he did, he was later sent an email on Friday 19/09/2014 that his new email has been recognized that he should wait for a new generated password that will be send to him before he can access the new profile and schedule an appointment. Now he has sent series of email to the desk support services but yet to get a response for the new password as indicated in the last email. He have also call your phone line non-stop without success (actually i too help him dialed up the phone number to no avail). The event he plan on attending is fast approaching and yet he is yet to get the new password from your office that will enable him to schedule an appointment. The guy is presently at a dilemma, is in fact regretting not engaging the service of the agent. NB: IT WAS WRITING OF YOUR WEBSITE THAT RESPONSE IS WITHIN 24 -48 HOURS. His case number: Case-2014-09-18-004002796. Please use your good office to help on the situation and restore his faith in DIY as advocate by your good office. Thanks"

This sounds like a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:54am On Sep 26, 2014
chimezieo: kudos vo, I met a lady online about seven months ago and we have been having an amazing relationship ever since. we plan to get married when she comes to Nigeria sometime next year on a short visit and she intends to file an i130 for me as soon as she returns to the US. but something has been bothering me and its the fact that she was previously married to a Ghanian who entered the US.with a business visa but the marriage only lasted for two and half years. i want to know what my chances are

I can't tell what your chances are based on what you've written here. There are too many factors involved to hazard a guess with so little information.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 26, 2014
VisaOfficer:

HURRAY! YOU GOT YOUR VISAS!!!! I'm so glad. There are three business days left in the 2014 Diversity Visa season, and I have to tell you, the world has printed almost all of the available Diversity Visas. Every year we can issue 50,000 DVs, and we are literally down to the last few dozen visas that will be printed today, Monday, and Tuesday. It's exciting and a little scary.

For the record, here in Nigeria we should be able to issue visas for ALL our approved cases. smiley
All approved visas? Including those on AP? Some people will be resurrected!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:33am On Sep 26, 2014
ferdimako:
All approved visas? Including those on AP? Some people will be resurrected!

Okay, I just changed my original post to remind everyone that people whose cases are in administrative processing are not approved -- their cases are still pending resolution. We're working hard to see how many of those cases can be resolved before midnight, Sept. 30.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 26, 2014
Thanks alot.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by printemps: 7:40pm On Sep 27, 2014
Thank you for the good job & for being of real help to folks like us.My wife & i sometimes wish we could speak to the supervising CO to listen to our story with regard to our visa case which is now under AP.Its been 2yrs 6 months & 10days we've been married,& we only spent a month & two weeks the two times she came.We had many issues that affected our visa case process which i implore you to look into & not that we're not bona fide.The several evidence submitted & which you have with you in the consulate in my humble view are enough to demonstrate the genuiness of our relationship.My wife's long absence were due to the complexity of our situation & certain situations beyond our control.For instance we were RFE by the USCIS for almost five months for my wife's divorce decree dissolving her 1st marriage which we could not locate during that time.She lost her job after she came to stay with me for a month which put on hold for six months our AOS at the NVC stage.All these affected our visa case by the time i appeared for my 1st visa interview & this led the CO to doubt the bona fide our relationship.Also after our petition got reaffirmed by USCIS she wanted to be here with me even before my 2nd visa interview despite having booked a flight ticket but my nine year old step daughter was worried about her mum never coming back alive again because she feared her mum will be infected with ebola which coupled with pressures by other family members made her suffer emotional stress.This made her cancel her trip.All this detail & the evidence of her already booked flight ticket i offered to the interviewing CO but she declined.Everyday i sleep & that i wake i feel lonely without my wife,this is my 1st & only marriage,this long separation is killing us.You can investigate us but pls dont make us wait
for too long.Our case number is LGS2013530028.Thank you once again.-A S Rufus (jnr)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tyta: 2:09pm On Sep 28, 2014
hello vo ,i am new here ! I am on administrative processing nw 4month now ,but i am from sierra leone i did my interviewed and everything go down well the consular retained my passport and told me the going to contact me when they finish ,but she never told me i am on administrative processing then ,after i email them they reply me and told me that i am on administrative processing ,but this september i checked my status on ceac and i was having 4 rapid update but still say Ap ,and i'm worried coz they said nt sufficient visa nw for dv2014 they almost hit the 50k nw , i don't why i am on Ap ,maybe its coz of i indicate it there that i want to served the usmarine or what...vo pls tell me if my country sierra leone is safe for Ap cases as this process is stressing me nw we get 48hours mre to go ,i dont want to missed my dream job usmarine!! Bt we have nw 112 Ap cases left in my country..co what is the updated on ceac??
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pslm23(f): 8:15pm On Sep 28, 2014
Hi VO. My question is this, what is the best filing option for a US Citizen married to a non citizen for the last 2 years and both of them are resident in Nigeria? They had no plans of returning to the US until 2016 but things have changed. He was issued a BI/B2 visa so they could attend a wedding in Texas next year and she wants to complete his paperwork while they are both there. Is this feasible? Can she file a K3 there? Will it be accepted? is it mandatory to file a K3 in Nigeria? can it be done in another country with a US Embassy other than Nigeria? OR can she just do an AOS?

Thanks for taking time to answer this!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by CoPur: 11:48pm On Sep 28, 2014
Hi

this is my first time here but I congratulate the work you are doing. I have a question. My husband is Nigerian and we live in Europe. I won the the visa lottery (I am the main applicant) but my husband has a criminal record (fraud) in another country in Europe. He was sentenced for 5 years and he served 3 years. He has a deportation order from the country where he offended.
Almost 8 years have passed since he was released from prison and 6 years since he was deported. Since then, he got married, had a child with me, a business of its own. Is there a chance our applications will be processed? Or we are wasting our time?

Thank you and I look forward for your answer.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by islet(f): 6:40am On Sep 29, 2014
Great morning VO. Please my appointment ıs for the 7th and I just found out its been declared a muslim public holiday.what should I do?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:20am On Sep 29, 2014
printemps: Thank you for the good job & for being of real help to folks like us.My wife & i sometimes wish we could speak to the supervising CO to listen to our story with regard to our visa case which is now under AP.Its been 2yrs 6 months & 10days we've been married,& we only spent a month & two weeks the two times she came.We had many issues that affected our visa case process which i implore you to look into & not that we're not bona fide.The several evidence submitted & which you have with you in the consulate in my humble view are enough to demonstrate the genuiness of our relationship.My wife's long absence were due to the complexity of our situation & certain situations beyond our control.For instance we were RFE by the USCIS for almost five months for my wife's divorce decree dissolving her 1st marriage which we could not locate during that time.She lost her job after she came to stay with me for a month which put on hold for six months our AOS at the NVC stage.All these affected our visa case by the time i appeared for my 1st visa interview & this led the CO to doubt the bona fide our relationship.Also after our petition got reaffirmed by USCIS she wanted to be here with me even before my 2nd visa interview despite having booked a flight ticket but my nine year old step daughter was worried about her mum never coming back alive again because she feared her mum will be infected with ebola which coupled with pressures by other family members made her suffer emotional stress.This made her cancel her trip.All this detail & the evidence of her already booked flight ticket i offered to the interviewing CO but she declined.Everyday i sleep & that i wake i feel lonely without my wife,this is my 1st & only marriage,this long separation is killing us.You can investigate us but pls dont make us wait
for too long.Our case number is LGS2013530028.Thank you once again.-A S Rufus (jnr)

We will investigate as expeditiously as possible.

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.