Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,095 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (96) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (678199 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:12pm On Jan 29, 2015
mabor:
Ma I just have a general question. How come some people stay in administrative processing for so long. Are the files worked on.

There are many many many different reasons for administrative processing, so it's hard to say. Sometimes we have cases that require us to ask other agencies for clarification, and it can take a long time for them to do their research and answer us. Sometimes we can see that there was a problem with a very old visa application, and we have to locate and retrieve files from the 1970s and 1980s. Sometimes we have to do on-site investigations, which can take a long time if the site is far away, in a dangerous location, etc. So, yes, we're working on all the files, but if we're waiting to hear from another agency or Nigerian law enforcement or another person, well, we just have to wait for their response.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:16pm On Jan 29, 2015
terefe:
Hi Madam... I would like to ask how long it could take for a petition that was approved in december 2014 to be transferred to the lagos consulate.
Petition was filed in 2012, unmarried child of Lpr. Thanks
smiley

It depends how old the child is. If the child is under 21, then the wait time is around two years (F2A category). If the child is 21 or over, the wait time is around seven years (F2B category).

To make it more complicated: If the child was under 21 when the petition was filed, but has turned 21 in the meantime, you would subtract the amount of time that the petition was pending from the child's age, and if that gives you an age under 21 on the date that a visa becomes available, then you'll go with the shorter wait time. (See the explanation of CSPA in my next answer, below....)

Wait times can be monitored at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:18pm On Jan 29, 2015
pamb:
if usc petion for married siblings which is the waiting period is 10-12years,and one of the children of beneficiary is a minor at that time,by the time the duration expire the child is already 21 yrs old,will that child be allow or parent will file separate petion?

It depends how long the petition was pending and whether the child can benefit from the Child Status Protection Act.

The Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) amended the Immigration Nationality Act (INA) by changing who qualifies as a child for purposes of immigration. This permits certain beneficiaries to retain classification as a “child,” even if he or she has reached the age of 21.

Age Out
A “child” is defined as an individual who is unmarried and under the age of 21. Before CSPA took effect on August 6, 2002, a beneficiary who turned 21 at any time prior to receiving permanent residence could not be considered a child for immigration purposes. This situation is described as “aging out.” Congress recognized that many beneficiaries were aging out because of large backlogs and long processing times for visa petitions. CSPA is designed to protect a beneficiary’s immigration classification as a child when he or she ages out due to excessive processing times. CSPA can protect “child” status for family-based immigrants, employment-based immigrants, and some humanitarian program immigrants (refugees, asylees, VAWA).

See http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/child-status-protection-act/child-status-protection-act-cspa for more.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:20pm On Jan 29, 2015
iyaaliyah:
Hello @Visa officer. Pls a father who is a US citizen said he filed for his children. He later received a message to produce more documents by which time he had moved from the address to which the application/request for additional documents was sent. According to him, by the time he got this message the time given to him to submit the application had passed and that the application was canceled.what can be done in this situation. Thanks and welldone!

He should contact the agency that requested the documents and explain the situation. It may be possible for them to reinstate the case. But if he simply didn't bother to take any action for more than a year, they may not consent to reinstate the case, and he'd need to file a new petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:21pm On Jan 29, 2015
deruboy:
Hello Visa officer, pls sir/ma I applied for a usa tourism visa and on my applicatn form I stated tthat I planned to travel on march 24 to return April 4. I had my interview last wk wed ie 20th n my vvisa was granted. Pls siir I want to ask if I can travel anytime to d USA or am expected to travel on d date I stated on my application form(ie March 24). Pls advice me,am confuse. Thanks alot

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:21pm On Jan 29, 2015
HesInMe:
Regarding police certificates presented at the visa interview, please: How old is too old? We recently submitted the I-130 petition and I'm gathering the required documentation. I've seen two dates thrown around -- less than 6 months, up to one year. Which is it, please? Thanks!

As long as the police certificate was issued less than a year before the visa is printed, we consider it valid for our purposes.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:22pm On Jan 29, 2015
Newmum0615:
Dear VO,

I am trying to complete my DS-160 form for my visa and it is asking for visa type. There is an option for Business/Tourism (B1/B2) and the Tourism/Medical Treatment (B2). Please which one is appropriate for someone going to give birth over there?

Also there is a place that asks this question: Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services?. A cousin of mine about 3 years entered my name for the US visa lottery program through the ELECTRONIC DIVERSITY VISA ENTRY FORM (DS-5501). Although I didn't win, does this qualify for me to answer a yes for the question? He didn't file as a US citizen or otherwise.

Please help me out.
Thanks.

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by terefe(m): 1:36pm On Jan 29, 2015
I see...the petion was filed pre-21 but it just came through after about 3 yrs..its all good..another 2 yrs of waiting shouldnt hurt smiley ..thanks Ma
VisaOfficer:

It depends how old the child is. If the child is under 21, then the wait time is around two years (F2A category). If the child is 21 or over, the wait time is around seven years (F2B category).

To make it more complicated: If the child was under 21 when the petition was filed, but has turned 21 in the meantime, you would subtract the amount of time that the petition was pending from the child's age, and if that gives you an age under 21 on the date that a visa becomes available, then you'll go with the shorter wait time. (See the explanation of CSPA in my next answer, below....)

Wait times can be monitored at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jojonile: 4:08pm On Jan 29, 2015
Good day ma, please I had my interview today and was asked to do a DNA test for me and my son, l dont why because I have alot of evidences to prove that I birthed him from sonograms, pictures etc. Can you kindly look inti my case to see if I can be allowed to come with all my proves or is there a way I can request for an expedite as per the DNA Please l have a thousand reasons to be with my husband at the moment my case number is LGS2014651009. Thanks ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jojonile: 4:10pm On Jan 29, 2015
Good day CO, please I had my interview today, was asked to do a DNA test for myself and son of 2 even though I had every document to prove that i birthed him from sonograms to pics of us both right from his birth
, please I dont have problem with their conclusion,my concern is the time all these will take. Ma please is there a way you can look into my case again and see if you can grant me another chance to show my proves? I have been on his journey s8ince April 1st 2013. Thanks my case number is LGS2014651009. Or is there a way I can speed up the DÑA process moreso,can I request for expedite as I have a thousand reasons to be with my hubby soon. Thanks ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oloriakinyemi: 8:34pm On Jan 29, 2015
onuzulikenma:
Good day vo, just want to thank u for your assistance, my visa has been approved and issued, will be in USA very soon to join my hubby, no more airport cries, for those still on d process just trust God, be real because everyone deserves to be with there love ones,God bless Nigeria, God bless America, peace
Am very happy for you,i pray to share mine too soon

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by vamum: 9:23pm On Jan 29, 2015
VisaOfficer:

If you're unmarried, your mother can file for you as a Legal Permanent Resident. Whether you're married or not, your stepfather can file for you as a U.S. citizen. smiley

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there is a clause that the Marriage between Biological parent and Step-Parent must have occured before the Step-Child turned 18.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:11am On Jan 30, 2015
vamum:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there is a clause that the Marriage between Biological parent and Step-Parent must have occured before the Step-Child turned 18.

Ah, you're absolutely right, the marriage must have occurred before you turned 18. USCIS turns down petitions if the child was over 18 when the marriage occurred, so of course I never see them here at post. In my head that meant that you must have been under 18 too, which isn't necessarily the case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:13am On Jan 30, 2015
jojonile:
Good day CO, please I had my interview today, was asked to do a DNA test for myself and son of 2 even though I had every document to prove that i birthed him from sonograms to pics of us both right from his birth
, please I dont have problem with their conclusion,my concern is the time all these will take. Ma please is there a way you can look into my case again and see if you can grant me another chance to show my proves? I have been on his journey s8ince April 1st 2013. Thanks my case number is LGS2014651009. Or is there a way I can speed up the DÑA process moreso,can I request for expedite as I have a thousand reasons to be with my hubby soon. Thanks ma.

Having reviewed the case notes I can see why the officer suggested DNA. We do give priority to our own DNA requests over requests from USCIS when we're scheduling collections, so you shouldn't have to wait very long for a date.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by jojonile: 8:30am On Jan 30, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Having reviewed the case notes I can see why the officer suggested DNA. We do give priority to our own DNA requests over requests from USCIS when we're scheduling collections, so you shouldn't have to wait very long for a date.
Thanks ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pretty16(f): 10:17am On Jan 30, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Ah, you're absolutely right, the marriage must have occurred before you turned 18. USCIS turns down petitions if the child was over 18 when the marriage occurred, so of course I never see them here at post. In my head that meant that you must have been under 18 too, which isn't necessarily the case.

No Wonder. I was wondering why USCIS did not approve my first petition filed by my stepdad, even after they had appealed. I was in my 20's when their marriage took place. Thanks Ma'am for clearing the air. Have a Fab Day.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by onyiblanche: 2:35pm On Jan 30, 2015
Heyyyyyyy......what a wonderful day what a glorious year already.our visas were approved and to crown my day I saw the face of the wonderful"nairaland lady". God bless you Ma.we are not able to thank you enough but today we say God bless you, increase you on every side, bless the works of your hands,bless your family,protect and preserve you . Thank you for inspiring me to help people whether I know them or not. God bless you Ma. Lots of love from my husband and kids.all the best to everyone looking forward to this.......it shall come to pass....

9 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tundedaluja: 3:20pm On Jan 30, 2015
A friend of mine went to America on a b1b2 visa
twice, he met an American woman on his first visit
and started dating and he proposed to her on his
second visit, they are contemplating whether to get
married in the US or Nigeria, my question is this, if
they get married in the US, must the husband come to
Nigeria before he could be an LPR? thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fyv722: 4:39pm On Jan 30, 2015
Dear visa officer, thank you for your assistance the other time, I really appreciate. My file has been received by Lagos consulate and I hav booked for my k1 visa interview. Please I have a few questions. I have two years (2012 and 2013) 1040, with pay stubs and bank statement, plus a co sponsor, both are above 125% poverty line. is this enough to demonstrate that I will not be a public charge. Secondly I will like to know some examples of the questions I should expect. Thank you so much
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pamb: 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2015
my sister in-law petion on our behalf before the end of waiting period, one of our children which is 12 years old now,will be 21 years old then,what is the chance of that child?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lovable85(f): 9:32pm On Jan 31, 2015
Good day vo,
I will love to know my chances of getting a visa approval, cos I'm a high school graduate( graduated 2007) and I have been working as a pastor ever since then(working experience), now I have applied to a community college in texas and have gotten the admission with no sat or toefl but applying for the English as a second language program and later engineering, my dad is my sponser and I'm 25 years old,and what documents should I carry for the interview. Pls reply
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nicko28(f): 10:00pm On Jan 31, 2015
Please I need advice, after my immigrant visa was denied about 4 year ago and I have 2 year old son, he has has usa passport, my question is that can I apply for visiting visa or tourist visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by gabriellle: 7:26pm On Feb 01, 2015
Dear VO,

Not sure if you are a patriots or seahawks fan, hope you team wins/won!! :-)

My mother has her interview in a few days and one of the documents requested was a marriage certificate. When she and my dad did their traditional wedding years ago, it was done in her parents home and not at the customary court.

My question is: Will the affidavit we submitted already, in addition to pictures from the occasion, her name change document, as well as pictures of my parents and their children through the years, be enough as proof of her marriage OR do we need additional evidence?

Thank you very much.

Have a perfect week ahead!

Best,
Gabriellle
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:51am On Feb 02, 2015
tundedaluja:
A friend of mine went to America on a b1b2 visa
twice, he met an American woman on his first visit
and started dating and he proposed to her on his
second visit, they are contemplating whether to get
married in the US or Nigeria, my question is this, if
they get married in the US, must the husband come to
Nigeria before he could be an LPR? thank you.

It depends whether USCIS lets him adjust status while he's in the U.S. After all, he's expected to abide by the terms of his B1/B2 visa, which includes returning to Nigeria at some point. But, that said, I know people manage to do it. I'd check with www.uscis.gov .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:52am On Feb 02, 2015
fyv722:
Dear visa officer, thank you for your assistance the other time, I really appreciate. My file has been received by Lagos consulate and I hav booked for my k1 visa interview. Please I have a few questions. I have two years (2012 and 2013) 1040, with pay stubs and bank statement, plus a co sponsor, both are above 125% poverty line. is this enough to demonstrate that I will not be a public charge. Secondly I will like to know some examples of the questions I should expect. Thank you so much

From what you've written here it sounds like you overcome public charge concerns, but until I review the actual documents, I can't be 100% sure.

Sorry, I don't give examples of questions. Just tell the truth and if you qualify, you'll get a visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:53am On Feb 02, 2015
pamb:
my sister in-law petion on our behalf before the end of waiting period, one of our children which is 12 years old now,will be 21 years old then,what is the chance of that child?

It depends how much time passed between the date the petition was filed and the date the petition was approved. You subtract that amount of time from the child's age on the date when a visa became available, and if that's under 21, the child can remain in the case as a derivative.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:54am On Feb 02, 2015
lovable85:

Good day vo,
I will love to know my chances of getting a visa approval, cos I'm a high school graduate( graduated 2007) and I have been working as a pastor ever since then(working experience), now I have applied to a community college in texas and have gotten the admission with no sat or toefl but applying for the English as a second language program and later engineering, my dad is my sponser and I'm 25 years old,and what documents should I carry for the interview. Pls reply

This is a question for the non-immigrant visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:55am On Feb 02, 2015
nicko28:
Please I need advice, after my immigrant visa was denied about 4 year ago and I have 2 year old son, he has has usa passport, my question is that can I apply for visiting visa or tourist visa.

This is a question for the non-immigrant visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 7:56am On Feb 02, 2015
gabriellle:
Dear VO,

Not sure if you are a patriots or seahawks fan, hope you team wins/won!! :-)

My mother has her interview in a few days and one of the documents requested was a marriage certificate. When she and my dad did their traditional wedding years ago, it was done in her parents home and not at the customary court.

My question is: Will the affidavit we submitted already, in addition to pictures from the occasion, her name change document, as well as pictures of my parents and their children through the years, be enough as proof of her marriage OR do we need additional evidence?

Thank you very much.

Have a perfect week ahead!

Best,
Gabriellle

Was there a football game this weekend? People keep talking about football today. I watched a couple scary movies and went to bed early, myself. cool

Since you're the one who petitioned for your mother, the affidavit will be enough. If it were a spouse who had petitioned for her, we would want to see something more official, but a person's marital status isn't really relevant to the IR5 visa category.

(Hope your team won!)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fyv722: 8:33am On Feb 02, 2015
Thank you for your timely response. Please I want to know if it's neccessary for the bar code on the Ds-160 confirmation to match with the bar code on the appointment confirmation for k1 visa applicants, this is because mine did not match when I booked my appointment. Thank alot
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:07am On Feb 02, 2015
fyv722:
Thank you for your timely response. Please I want to know if it's neccessary for the bar code on the Ds-160 confirmation to match with the bar code on the appointment confirmation for k1 visa applicants, this is because mine did not match when I booked my appointment. Thank alot

No, not for K1 appointments. Although now I'm curious to know why your bar code didn't match. How did that happen?

(1) (2) (3) ... (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.