Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,675 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (163) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (820460 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Diapearl: 12:29am On Mar 08, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello Diapearl. Name changes due to marriage do not have a negative effect. Be sure to put down your maiden name in the "other names used" part of the application.

Dear VO, Thank you for your response.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Cfo4all: 8:12am On Mar 08, 2017
Hello VO. There was an article in the punch newspaper of 7th march 2017 that Nigerians with valid non-immigrants visa are denied entry to the USA. Pls how true is that?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by manlogic: 9:29am On Mar 08, 2017
Dear VO,

My question below is still unanswered. Please kindly answer the question not only for my sake but to serve as general information for others.

manlogic:
Dear VO,

Thank you for your response. As stated in my earlier post, my current visa is valid till mid 2018 (that's more than a year validity). Is it allowed to apply for a new visa when the current one still have more than a year validity? Will I apply via drop box or attend an interview? Is there any other thing I need to do to show my sincerity of purpose and avoid embarrassment at the port of entry?

Thanks once again.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by desrie: 9:37am On Mar 08, 2017
Good morning VO
My wife and I intend applying for b1/b2 visa as we want to go on vacation since its our annual leave.we just got married a month ago and want to use the period for our honeymoon.We are both medical doctors doing our residency training,she has been to UK and SA while I have been to SA and Ghana before we met.
Though we have made hotel reservation where w intend to stay but our friend who's a rev.father and a professor in one of the universities wants us to visit him while on vacation.Should we use him as point of contact or use our hotel.
Will be glad if you attend to this quickly a we about to fill our Ds 160 form.Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:26am On Mar 08, 2017
Hello JesseJackson67. The burden of proof is on the applicant. Plenty of applicants are approved in interviews lasting less than a minute. It's our law and system; everyone has a fair hearing, but no one is guaranteed a visa or entry into the US.

JesseJackson67:

Hello Officer,
You said by your law every applicant is an intending immigrant until s/he convinces the interviewing otherwise. Documents are rarely checked and how can an applicant convince the officer with just 3 questions asked?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:28am On Mar 08, 2017
Hello Cfo4all. As we've said many times before, the visa only allows individuals to ask permission for entry at the border. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) decides whether to allow someone in and for how long. This is true for visitors from all countries.

Cfo4all:
Hello VO. There was an article in the punch newspaper of 7th march 2017 that Nigerians with valid non-immigrants visa are denied entry to the USA. Pls how true is that?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:31am On Mar 08, 2017
Hello manlogic. You can apply to renew a visa anytime before it expires. It is your choice whether to do dropbox or come in for an interview. If you want the opportunity to make something clear about your travel intent, the interview affords you more opportunity to do so.

manlogic:
Dear VO,

My question below is still unanswered. Please kindly answer the question not only for my sake but to serve as general information for others.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:34am On Mar 08, 2017
Hello desrie. It's your choice who you list as a contact. If you know someone in the US and plan on seeing him/her, it's generally best to list that person rather than the name of a business/hotel. If there are further questions about your plans or accommodation, you can make that clear at the interview.

desrie:
Good morning VO
My wife and I intend applying for b1/b2 visa as we want to go on vacation since its our annual leave.we just got married a month ago and want to use the period for our honeymoon.We are both medical doctors doing our residency training,she has been to UK and SA while I have been to SA and Ghana before we met.
Though we have made hotel reservation where w intend to stay but our friend who's a rev.father and a professor in one of the universities wants us to visit him while on vacation.Should we use him as point of contact or use our hotel.
Will be glad if you attend to this quickly a we about to fill our Ds 160 form.Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by lilac416(f): 11:40am On Mar 08, 2017
Dear VO,
i made a mistake of putting a wrong date under previous US travel for the date i arrived in the US. Please what can i do to rectify this?
Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by manlogic: 12:30pm On Mar 08, 2017
Thank you VO. I am putting in another application right away. And as advised, will prefer to attend an interview to explain everything as it is.

Thanks once again.

abujaniv:
Hello manlogic. You can apply to renew a visa anytime before it expires. If is your choice whether to do dropbox or come in for an interview. If you want the opportunity to make something clear about your travel intent, the interview affords you more opportunity to do so.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by showstopa: 2:27pm On Mar 08, 2017
abujaniv
I may be wrong but I don't see you giving any congent advice. It is more of read this or read that or we can not tell you the chances. What exactly is your role again? I am just curious.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by OmoBendel24: 2:33pm On Mar 08, 2017
You need just go back to sleep please! Thanks loads @AbujaNIV; we appreciate you like kilode, lots learnt from all that you dish out here....
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:44pm On Mar 08, 2017
Hello showstopa. Our role is upholding the US Constitution, protecting the borders, and facilitating legal travel and tourism.

showstopa:
abujaniv
I may be wrong but I don't see you giving any congent advice. It is more of read this or read that or we can not tell you the chances. What exactly is your role again? I am just curious.

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 10:17pm On Mar 08, 2017
Hi lilac416. Just explain it in the interview. This is the benefit of having a combination electronic- and person-based visa process.

lilac416:
Dear VO,
i made a mistake of putting a wrong date under previous US travel for the date i arrived in the US. Please what can i do to rectify this?
Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Aruk16: 4:38pm On Mar 09, 2017
Dear VO, when I did my interview in january and was asked if pregnant I said No because I wasn't. I intend travelling in June and will be about 4months pregnant now. With the way officials are denying Nigerians at the POE what are my chances of entering the US for vacation and shopping? Will I be asked if I am pregnant and then what do I tell them?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:22pm On Mar 09, 2017
Hello Aruk16. We don't discuss chances on this forum, only qualifications. The only appropriate answer to questions posed by visa or border officials is the total and complete truth. CBP have the prerogative of asking further questions before granting entry, and they will make a determination whether the applicant was truthful during his/her visa interview.

Aruk16:
Dear VO, when I did my interview in january and was asked if pregnant I said No because I wasn't. I intend travelling in June and will be about 4months pregnant now. With the way officials are denying Nigerians at the POE what are my chances of entering the US for vacation and shopping? Will I be asked if I am pregnant and then what do I tell them?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by YoungIncredible: 9:46pm On Mar 09, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello YoungIncredible. Read a few pages of this thread. If you do so and still have questions, ask away.

I have read through. More emphasis was placed on salary account for employees rather than regular accounts owned by the same employees running other businesses
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by teexploit: 11:43pm On Mar 09, 2017
my junior brother went for b1/b2 interview in Abuja on the 27 of February up till now the visa is not yet ready for collection anytime he check the status it show the normal interface ...what could be wrong at this time and besides how long does it take for the visa to be ready ?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:01am On Mar 10, 2017
Good morning, YoungIncredible. I don't see a question here, and I don't know what you mean by "more emphasis." Are you asking if we, the visa officers, put emphasis on certain salaries? Perhaps touts and agents do, but a careful reading of this thread will show that we do not. Applicants are expected to be able to pay for their trip and expenses. There is a question on the application that asks the applicant to estimate their monthly income. Actual salary amounts rarely come up in visa interviews. That is about the extent of it.

YoungIncredible:

I have read through. More emphasis was placed on salary account for employees rather than regular accounts owned by the same employees running other businesses
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:21am On Mar 10, 2017
Hello teexploit. It typically takes a few business days to process and return the passport and visa. Sometimes additional time is required, and on occasion, applicants are asked to return for a follow-up interview. I would give it a bit more time, and if you still don't hear anything in a week or two, e-mail the Embassy/Consulate.

teexploit:
my junior brother went for b1/b2 interview in Abuja on the 27 of February up till now the visa is not yet ready for collection anytime he check the status it show the normal interface ...what could be wrong at this time and besides how long does it take for the visa to be ready ?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Aruk16: 11:49am On Mar 10, 2017
Ok thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by AntyLydia: 3:58pm On Mar 10, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello AntyLydia. We are aware that some visas are electronic and not readily apparent by looking through the passport. If you think this Australia and New Zealand travel is an important component of your application, just be ready to discuss it intelligently at the interview.

Your response is very much appreciated.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Adriannajones: 4:32pm On Mar 10, 2017
Hi vo
So I went for my interview recently and after what seemed like a successful one I was told I have been banned for life from getting a visa. Said it probably is for fraud or misrepresentation and that I must have lied about something in my previous interviews. Now I can assure you I have never lied in any of my interviews. I think what happened was a misconception by one very impatient vo that interviewed me for my 3rd interview. She began by saying I had come to early after an initial rejection which was 3 months before then. Also I think because I wasn't pregnant for the previous interview and I came as pregnant for this one, she just wrote me off as having told lies. I promise I wasn't lying, I actually came back that early cos I had a medical condition that had to be corrected very early in my new pregnancy as I had lost a previous pregnancy due to the condition. I wasnt pregnant during the previous interview. My question now is if I could get a lawyer to appeal my case or is this really a dead-end? I have loved ones in America and it'll be a shame if I can never visit them. Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by desrie: 8:43pm On Mar 10, 2017
Good evening VO
My colleague who's a medical doctor wants to travel with his fiance who's a practising Nurse for vacation and shop for their wedding.though he has engaged her and fixed their wedding september.Both have good travel history to UK and UAE.
Is it advisable for them to apply now or wait till they have tied the knot so they could have marriage certificate from the registry to present.
Their problem is that it will take another one year to get their leave from their respective hospitals.
Please advice
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Itsjustme27: 2:04am On Mar 11, 2017
Hi,
My b1/b2 visa expired 9th of March 2016. I applied for drop box on the 6th of March 2017. Is it possible to get my Visa renewed within this short time (3 days to the end of drop box window) or did I apply too late?
Also, I checked my profile and saw "schedule an appointment " does this mean I have to go for another interview before I can get my visa or should I just wait for 10 days to pass and see if they will give me the visa ?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:09am On Mar 11, 2017
Hello Adriannajones. A finding of "material misrepresentation," known legally as a 6C1 ineligibility, means there is a lifetime ban on travel to the US. Even so, persons with a 6C1 ineligibility can apply for a waiver--this is basically requesting the visa officer to apply on their behalf for the 6C1 ineligibility to be overcome on a one-time basis. There is a high hurdle to achieving this. A 6C1 finding is a serious result, and if it had been applied to you, you would have been informed. That said, persons who damage their credibility in visa interviews can find it very difficult to regain our trust, such that it is a practical ban on travel to the US. There is no appeal for the 214b refusal, which covers a wide range of ineligibilities.

Yours is an unfortunate situation, but it demonstrates how critical truthfulness and credibility are in the application process.

Adriannajones:
Hi vo
So I went for my interview recently and after what seemed like a successful one I was told I have been banned for life from getting a visa. Said it probably is for fraud or misrepresentation and that I must have lied about something in my previous interviews. Now I can assure you I have never lied in any of my interviews. I think what happened was a misconception by one very impatient vo that interviewed me for my 3rd interview. She began by saying I had come to early after an initial rejection which was 3 months before then. Also I think because I wasn't pregnant for the previous interview and I came as pregnant for this one, she just wrote me off as having told lies. I promise I wasn't lying, I actually came back that early cos I had a medical condition that had to be corrected very early in my new pregnancy as I had lost a previous pregnancy due to the condition. I wasnt pregnant during the previous interview. My question now is if I could get a lawyer to appeal my case or is this really a dead-end? I have loved ones in America and it'll be a shame if I can never visit them. Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:19am On Mar 11, 2017
Hello desrie. We very rarely look at any documents, including marriage certificates.

desrie:
Good evening VO
My colleague who's a medical doctor wants to travel with his fiance who's a practising Nurse for vacation and shop for their wedding.though he has engaged her and fixed their wedding september.Both have good travel history to UK and UAE.
Is it advisable for them to apply now or wait till they have tied the knot so they could have marriage certificate from the registry to present.
Their problem is that it will take another one year to get their leave from their respective hospitals.
Please advice
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:33am On Mar 11, 2017
Hello Itsjustme27. If you've already submitted your passport to the Embassy/Consulate, then you'll just have to find out whether it's processed via the interview waiver program (dropbox) or you'll need to come in for an interview. Just to be clear, the same criteria apply to both dropbox and interview-based applications. The interview waiver program is a courtesy that we extend to good travelers. If we have any questions about the applicant or their travel, dropbox applicants are required to come in for an interview.

Itsjustme27:
Hi,
My b1/b2 visa expired 9th of March 2016. I applied for drop box on the 6th of March 2017. Is it possible to get my Visa renewed within this short time (3 days to the end of drop box window) or did I apply too late?
Also, I checked my profile and saw "schedule an appointment " does this mean I have to go for another interview before I can get my visa or should I just wait for 10 days to pass and see if they will give me the visa ?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Jawa: 11:45am On Mar 11, 2017
Dear VO,

I highly commend the efforts. Thank you
I have a dilemma. I applied and have been issued a B1b2. This was to enable me to attend a career related technical conference in June for personal development of which plans are still in place.
I am however traveling to US this march to attempt an exam administered by same company organizing this conference among other things including a trip to canada(i have the right documentation to enter this country and its not my first time) to spend my birthday with my beloved. I had mentioned a plan for a prior trip to US before the june trip at my interview but the VO was typing profusely and didnt seem to be very interested. I really hope he heard me right. My questions;

1) do i have the right visa to enter the US considering i intend leaving the next day( more like a transit but with layover privileges) to canada and back to US in 4days after my birthday to attempt this professional exam prior to going back to nigeria?
NB. Total duration of this trip to us/canada is 8days and i have all tickets(return) paid out and all hotels booked.

2) i have learnt that even though a b1b2 has been issued, the I94 has to carry just one status, which exactly is it in my case? And do i fill another I94 when returning from canada to US prior to leaving for nigeria?

3) can i visit friends on this trip considering one or two people i know are on the east coast and the conference i plan to attend in june is on the west coast and for just one week and in middle of a project at work so i cant visit anyone?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:17pm On Mar 11, 2017
Hello Jawa. Transit is allowed on the B1/B2 visa. The I-94 is the arrival/departure card that all passengers fill out. Probably you should fill out a new one each time--best to confirm with CBP at the airport. Visitation of friends is an appropriate use of the B1/B2 visa.

Jawa:
Dear VO,

I highly commend the efforts. Thank you
I have a dilemma. I applied and have been issued a B1b2. This was to enable me to attend a career related technical conference in June for personal development of which plans are still in place.
I am however traveling to US this march to attempt an exam administered by same company organizing this conference among other things including a trip to canada(i have the right documentation to enter this country and its not my first time) to spend my birthday with my beloved. I had mentioned a plan for a prior trip to US before the june trip at my interview but the VO was typing profusely and didnt seem to be very interested. I really hope he heard me right. My questions;

1) do i have the right visa to enter the US considering i intend leaving the next day( more like a transit but with layover privileges) to canada and back to US in 4days after my birthday to attempt this professional exam prior to going back to nigeria?
NB. Total duration of this trip to us/canada is 8days and i have all tickets(return) paid out and all hotels booked.

2) i have learnt that even though a b1b2 has been issued, the I94 has to carry just one status, which exactly is it in my case? And do i fill another I94 when returning from canada to US prior to leaving for nigeria?

3) can i visit friends on this trip considering one or two people i know are on the east coast and the conference i plan to attend in june is on the west coast and for just one week and in middle of a project at work so i cant visit anyone?

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by JesseJackson67: 4:58pm On Mar 11, 2017
Hello
Please I have been admitted to pursue an undergraduate course of study in the US. I was offered a scholarship based on my waec results and high school transcripts. The school don't require an SAT for admission. Please is it advisable to take one just for visa interview sake?
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.