Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,187 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (166) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (818305 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:51pm On Mar 22, 2017
Hello Vorpal. Step-by-step instructions are found at the website we provided. But in a nutshell, you must: fill out an application for each person, pay the visa fee for each person, schedule a visa interview, and attend the visa interview. If the visa is approved, the passport and visa are returned to the applicant via DHL, typically within a few working days. There are times when applications need more administrative processing--there is no timeline for how long that may take.

Vorpal:

Thank you.

From what I read, one is advised to have began the process for the visa 3 months before the intended travel date. We are quite short three months, will this pose a problem?

It seems our visa category falls within B1/B2, and we are required to provide a proof of status of whom we are visiting who has an event. He is a citizen,do I have to tender his proof of citizenship also? Is that the only possibly document we may need aside the DS 160 form and visa fees receipt to tender at the interview?

If we should begin our DS 160 form can we defer the payment of the visa fees till our passports renewal is ready or we can pay and book an appointment that will coincide with the date our passport will be ready?

In filing the DS 160 form, I would have to that separately for both I and my mum?

I read the visa processing takes within 3 working days for it to be ready for collection? Is this a fact or could possibly take more days? And why it may take more days? Plus the possibly more days it could take?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 22, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello Vorpal. Step-by-step instructions are found at the website we provided. But in a nutshell, you must: fill out an application for each person, pay the visa fee for each person, schedule a visa interview, and attend the visa interview. If the visa is approved, the passport and visa are returned to the applicant via DHL, typically within a few working days. There are times when applications need more administrative processing--there is no timeline for how long that may take.

Thank you. Do you mind editing my comment out?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Emmanuelson(m): 2:34pm On Mar 22, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello Emmanuelson. A student visa (F1) is a type of non-immigrant visa. To qualify for a non-immigrant visa, the applicant must demonstrate sufficient ties to their home country such that they overcome the presumption of immigrant intent. Now, the act of applying for an immigrant visa is a clear demonstration of immigrant intent. So the challenge for such an applicant is to demonstrate that even though they have eventual intention to immigrate, they don't want to right now. This is not impossible, but it is a high hurdle.

Thank you for the reply sir
I'm thinking what if I cancel the immigrant visa petition (because I don't intend to migrate I just want to go there to study because I have a job here waiting and they need my masters degree to make me work full time ).. Will I stand a better chance that way ?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:38pm On Mar 22, 2017
Hi Emmanuelson. What you do with your applications is a personal decision. We do not comment on chances.

Emmanuelson:

Thank you for the reply sir
I'm thinking what if I cancel the immigrant visa petition (because I don't intend to migrate I just want to go there to study because I have a job here waiting and they need my masters degree to make me work full time ).. Will I stand a better chance that way ?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by saninwa: 9:34pm On Mar 22, 2017
Hello abujaniv,

Please I have two questions to ask.

1. Must a student wait till 120 days to the resumption date printed on the form I-20 before applying for a visa? For instance, my I-20 states August 20 as the program start date, should I wait till April 20 (120 days) before booking an interview appointment?

2. In a situation where someone realized he made some mistakes in the DS-160 after it has been submitted and interview appointment already confirmed; please how can a new DS-160 be updated without affecting the already scheduled appointment date?

I look forward to hearing from you. Remain Blessed.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 4:26pm On Mar 23, 2017
Hello saninwa.
1. An F-1 visa can be renewed at any time as long as SEVIS is still active. If it's a first issuance, the visa can not be issued more than 120 days in advance of the start date on the I-20, and the applicant may not enter the US more than 30 days prior to that date.
2. It begs the question how mistakes (plural) could end up on one's own DS-160. Either the applicant doesn't know pertinent details of his/her own life, or they have enlisted an agent to fill in the form. Neither is an optimal situation. Don't worry about trying to update the DS-160. Just be open about the errors at the visa interview.

saninwa:
Hello abujaniv,

Please I have two questions to ask.

1. Must a student wait till 120 days to the resumption date printed on the form I-20 before applying for a visa? For instance, my I-20 states August 20 as the program start date, should I wait till April 20 (120 days) before booking an interview appointment?

2. In a situation where someone realized he made some mistakes in the DS-160 after it has been submitted and interview appointment already confirmed; please how can a new DS-160 be updated without affecting the already scheduled appointment date?

I look forward to hearing from you. Remain Blessed.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by yomiben2003(m): 9:25pm On Mar 23, 2017
Good day VO. I received a blue letter today at the embassy in Lagos for not having enough evidence to show I have strong ties in Nigeria and USA (I forgot some of my vital documents at home in a rush though). I'm supposed to arrive in US by 31st cause my cousin's wedding comes up on 1st April. Do you think I might still be able to meet up with the deadline for arival for the wedding if I reapply now for the visa, book my interview for monday and possibly get my visa granted?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 9:35pm On Mar 23, 2017
Hello yomiben2003. As we often say, you are welcome to apply again whenever you want, but if nothing material has changed since the previous refusal, the result is likely to be the same. Another thing we often say is that documents are not required, and even if presented, will not be examined by the visa officer.

yomiben2003:
Good day VO. I received a blue letter today at the embassy in Lagos for not having enough evidence to show I have strong ties in Nigeria and USA (I forgot some of my vital documents at home in a rush though). I'm supposed to arrive in US by 31st cause my cousin's wedding comes up on 1st April. Do you think I might still be able to meet up with the deadline for arival for the wedding if I reapply now for the visa, book my interview for monday and possibly get my visa granted?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Ess: 12:10am On Mar 24, 2017
Hello Abujaniv,

A friend's passport will expire soon, he plans to renew it and also correct a mistake in his passport name.
Can the correction cause issue on visa application/drop box?

Walid is the mistake name and now wants to use Waleed.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 7:31am On Mar 24, 2017
Hello AbujaNiV,

I and my DW have a B1/B2 US Visa. She was pregnant at the time of interview and the VO didn't ask about that so we didn't mention it. We told him we were going on vacation. Now, I want her to birth in the US and I don't want any POS issues or future visa denial due to misinterpretation or misuse of visa. She's 24 weeks now and I'm thinking we can go on vacation now and come back in 2 weeks as we stated. And then she can leave for childbirth before/on 30 weeks.

(I just hope they won't think the trip is for childbirth before its obvious she is pregnant, although I plan to pay upfront for the 2 weeks hotel bills before the trip) PLEASE ADVISE. Your urgent response will be gladly appreciated. My email is haykay15@yahoo.com just in case you need to send a PM.

Thank you.

abujaniv:
Hello saninwa.
1. An F-1 visa can be renewed at any time as long as SEVIS is still active. If it's a first issuance, the visa can not be issued more than 120 days in advance of the start date on the I-20, and the applicant may not enter the US more than 30 days prior to that date.
2. It begs the question how mistakes (plural) could end up on one's own DS-160. Either the applicant doesn't know pertinent details of his/her own life, or they have enlisted an agent to fill in the form. Neither is an optimal situation. Don't worry about trying to update the DS-160. Just be open about the errors at the visa interview.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:54pm On Mar 24, 2017
Hello Ess. The name in the visa must match the name in the passport. Yes, changes in identity cause issues for application/dropbox.

Ess:
Hello Abujaniv,

A friend's passport will expire soon, he plans to renew it and also correct a mistake in his passport name.
Can the correction cause issue on visa application/drop box?

Walid is the mistake name and now wants to use Waleed.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:58pm On Mar 24, 2017
Hello olalekan111. We are not obligated to ask every applicant if they are pregnant or intending to give birth. The applicant is obligated to state their birth intent if they have it. The situation you describe sounds like deception and desperation.

olalekan111:
Hello AbujaNiV,

I and my DW have a B1/B2 US Visa. She was pregnant at the time of interview and the VO didn't ask about that so we didn't mention it. We told him we were going on vacation. Now, I want her to birth in the US and I don't want any POS issues or future visa denial due to misinterpretation or misuse of visa. She's 24 weeks now and I'm thinking we can go on vacation now and come back in 2 weeks as we stated. And then she can leave for childbirth before/on 30 weeks.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Ess: 1:09pm On Mar 24, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello Ess. The name in the visa must match the name in the passport. Yes, changes in identity cause issues for application/dropbox.

Ok, but in this case the new passport will carry the new name and the new visa is to carry the new name also.
However the old passport and old visa is carrying the old name.

Is this ok?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:19pm On Mar 24, 2017
It is not ok. You will need to appear at an interview to reestablish your identity.

Ess:

Ok, but in this case the new passport will carry the new name and the new visa is to carry the new name also.
However the old passport and old visa is carrying the old name.

Is this ok?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by FOTAMG: 1:29pm On Mar 24, 2017
Thank for all the help. So I just renewed my passport, with a valid visa, I travelled last yr for vacation ,stayed 30 days. Traveling again in summer. Nw, my signature from 6 years ago changed slightly with d one nw. Will that be a problem at POE? Just signature. Every other thin same, though the passport officer said it shouldn't be a problem. ... Please I need your own view as you will know more.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by HakemAbdulJabar: 6:15pm On Mar 24, 2017
Hello
Please I was refused a B1/B2 visa in 2014 to attend a seminar in the US. Then time I was in my first year at the University and I did indicated it clearly that I am a University student. I only spent two years in school and then withdrew because I wasn't given my preferred course of study in the second year. I currently work in the family business and I have applied and accepted to study in a reputable school in the US. I am very confused honestly because what if the VO says why didn't I finish the course I was doing .
I am being completely honest with my situation. i am going to begin as a freshman in the university I got accepted into in the US.
I hope my situation isn't very complicated.
Thank you for your time
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 10:45pm On Mar 24, 2017
Hello HakemAbdulJabar. Your application will be evaluated comprehensively.

HakemAbdulJabar:
Hello
Please I was refused a B1/B2 visa in 2014 to attend a seminar in the US. Then time I was in my first year at the University and I did indicated it clearly that I am a University student. I only spent two years in school and then withdrew because I wasn't given my preferred course of study in the second year. I currently work in the family business and I have applied and accepted to study in a reputable school in the US. I am very confused honestly because what if the VO says why didn't I finish the course I was doing .
I am being completely honest with my situation. i am going to begin as a freshman in the university I got accepted into in the US.
I hope my situation isn't very complicated.
Thank you for your time
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 10:31am On Mar 25, 2017
abujaniv

Good morning.

Is it required that an applicant for the B1/B2 Visa must have a return ticket flight booked for his/her trip?

I know this is a norm with the French Schengen, but is having flight reservations a compulsory requirement (so to speak) for the visa interview at the Consulate in Lagos/Abuja?

The interview comes up on Monday 27th of March, 2017.

Thank you for your prompt response.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:21am On Mar 25, 2017
Hello OmaniPadmehum. Thank you for bringing up this issue. No, you do not need to have any tickets purchased when you apply for a visa. That said, when you fly into the US, CBP may ask if you have a return or onward ticket.
Some applicants feel the need to show that they have purchased tickets or made hotel reservations. These have no bearing on an individual's qualifications or the visa adjudication. It makes sense to start planning your trip ahead of time, but we advise you to not spend any money on plane tickets or hotels until you get the visa in hand.

OmaniPadmeHum:
abujaniv

Good morning.

Is it required that an applicant for the B1/B2 Visa must have a return ticket flight booked for his/her trip?

I know this is a norm with the French Schengen, but is having flight reservations a compulsory requirement (so to speak) for the visa interview at the Consulate in Lagos/Abuja?

The interview comes up on Monday 27th of March, 2017.

Thank you for your prompt response.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by FOTAMG: 11:39am On Mar 25, 2017
Abujaniv, it's like you missed my post......
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by alexxy: 12:33pm On Mar 25, 2017
Hello VO, trust your weekend is going on well, I would like you to advice me on how soon you think I can apply for the renewal of entire family visiting visa that will expire in August. Though I and wife travelled with it but my kids are yet to travel with theirs due to some family challenges I was made to face in 2016 I hope to travel with them in September this year. Would two to three months before expiration be appropriate to appy for renewal before it expires in August?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:55pm On Mar 25, 2017
Hello FOTAMG. It's natural for a person's signature to deviate slightly from one signing to the next. It's less natural for it to differ greatly, and may lead to greater scrutiny of one's identity. If questioned about it, tell the truth.

FOTAMG:
Abujaniv, it's like you missed my post......
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:55pm On Mar 25, 2017
Hello alexxy. You may apply for renewal at any time.

alexxy:
Hello VO, trust your weekend is going on well, I would like you to advice me on how soon you think I can apply for the renewal of entire family visiting visa that will expire in August. Though I and wife travelled with it but my kids are yet to travel with theirs due to some family challenges I was made to face in 2016 I hope to travel with them in September this year. Would two to three months before expiration be appropriate to appy for renewal before it expires in August?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Ess: 9:52am On Mar 26, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello alexxy. You may apply for renewal at any time.

Uhmm, so when will the expiry date be in this case supposing he renews in March? And will it mean that the initial visa will be canceled?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Believe13: 5:05pm On Mar 26, 2017
Pls I am almost through applying online. My question is , will I apply separately with my 2yr old daughter? Am I to pay a separate fee and fill another form for her?

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 5:10pm On Mar 26, 2017
Hi Ess. Upon renewal, the old visa is cancelled. You sometimes see the stamp "cancelled without prejudice"; this is perfectly normal and means that the visa was cancelled at its expiration or after a renewal. The "cancelled" stamp is used when something negative happens. The expiry date for the new visa will be two years after the date of issuance, so if it was issued on March 28, the expiry will be March 27, 2019.

Ess:

Uhmm, so when will the expiry date be in this case supposing he renews in March? And will it mean that the initial visa will be canceled?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 5:11pm On Mar 26, 2017
Hello Believe13. Yes, every individual must have their own application and fee payment.

Believe13:
Pls I am almost through applying online. My question is , will I apply separately with my 2yr old daughter? Am I to pay a separate fee and fill another form for her?

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Believe13: 5:33pm On Mar 26, 2017
There is a place in the form I was asked ''are you travelling with somwbody'' answer "yes". I filled my daughter's name. So I will pay a separate fee for a minor! Wow!

What about interview date? How am I going to do it? Pls remember am applying with my daughter (2yrs old). Am I the one to choose date for both of us or is it the embassy?

Thank you for your anticipated response.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:12pm On Mar 26, 2017
Hello again Believe13. Once you pay the fees, you are able to schedule an interview appointment. You pick among the available times and you must appear along with your daughter.

Believe13:
There is a place in the form I was asked ''are you travelling with somwbody'' answer "yes". I filled my daughter's name. So I will pay a separate fee for a minor! Wow!

What about interview date? How am I going to do it? Pls remember am applying with my daughter (2yrs old). Am I the one to choose date for both of us or is it the embassy?

Thank you for your anticipated response.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by dotcomnamename: 1:05am On Mar 27, 2017
Dear VO,

There was an argument between me and a friend in Canada and still using Nigerian passport. He claim he got his US visa in Canada and its valid for 10 years, i disagreed with him that the validity should be 24 months which is 2 years base on Nigeria Reciprocity and not 120 months (10 years). I note that visa validity Reciprocity for Nigeria is 24 months for B1/B2 visa, however, for instance does it mean if i am a UK resident and if i apply for US visa B1/B2 with Nigerian passport i will be issued 24 months visa base on Nigeria Reciprocity? or the visa will be valid for 120 months (10 years) base on UK Reciprocity?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:13am On Mar 27, 2017
Hello dotcomnamename. You are correct in that visa validity is based on nationality and reciprocity, not where the visa is obtained.

dotcomnamename:
Dear VO,

There was an argument between me and a friend in Canada and still using Nigerian passport. He claim he got his US visa in Canada and its valid for 10 years, i disagreed with him that the validity should be 24 months which is 2 years base on Nigeria Reciprocity and not 120 months (10 years). I note that visa validity Reciprocity for Nigeria is 24 months for B1/B2 visa, however, for instance does it mean if i am a UK resident and if i apply for US visa B1/B2 with Nigerian passport i will be issued 24 months visa base on Nigeria Reciprocity? or the visa will be valid for 120 months (10 years) base on UK Reciprocity?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by OmoBendel24: 8:34am On Mar 27, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello dotcomnamename. You are correct in that visa validity is based on nationality and reciprocity, not where the visa is obtained.

And a Nigerian passport holder that is a Canadian Permanent Resident Card holder, residing in Canada and applies from Canada too? What validity will this individual's US B1/B2 visa carry if granted there in Canada? Good morning dear VO

@Dotcomenamename; isn't this person in question a permanent resident card holder?

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.