Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,245 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). (64954 Views)

Eheneden Erediauwa To Be Crowned Oba Of Benin / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Olori Sekinat-Elegushi Wife Of Oba Of Ikate Land [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by ahatson(m): 9:57am On Jul 02, 2014
Your knowledge of where the Oba's are buried is totally far from the truth, unlike the Bini culture only permit the burial of Oba's within it's kingdom and every necessary rites concluded within the traditional ground of the Bini kingdom, certainly it is the tradition of the old and it has not changed.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by ahatson(m): 9:58am On Jul 02, 2014
Your knowledge of where the Oba's are buried is totally far from the truth, unlike the Bini culture only permit the burial of Oba's within it's kingdom and every necessary rites concluded within the traditional ground of the Bini kingdom, certainly it is the tradition of the old and it has not changed.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:08am On Jul 02, 2014
Le Gull: Linguistically, Bini language has no roots with any other culture.

Culturally, the Bini arts crafts, traditions and religion are unique to that empire.

The Bini Empire had witnessed several long ruling dynasties far greater than any other in the whole of sub-Saharan Africa apart from ancient Egypt.
The oba of Benin was among the sons of Oduduwa who met at Ita Ijero (place of consultation) in Ile-Ife. From here, he and others dispersed. Ita Ijero is still in Ife. Read "Yorubaland up to 1800" by Akinjogbin and Ayandele in Groundwork of Nigerian History edited by Obaro Ikimi.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by 573V31D(m): 10:09am On Jul 02, 2014
I never read this in yoruba history but i believe this claim with the ffg assumptions:
1. I v seen this inscription myself
2. The whole of yoruba is said to originate from ife "ile ife ni orirun aye" including benin.
It could now be concluded from these premises that their could hv been an eewo binding the benin kings and ife.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:10am On Jul 02, 2014
gratiaeo: Orlando Owoh is lying
I was at the shrine this morning.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by abiolert(m): 10:22am On Jul 02, 2014
Am not trying to be bias or sentimental in my observations of this particular issue, being discussed but I want to raise some salient point observed in d topic. As a graduate of History and international relation one thing I observed in my course of reserch was that,yes! There was a link between the Benin and yoruba people but at a latter point in time this link was no more as a result of factors which has not be proven yet. Ife can decide to preserve this linkage or site as an historical monument but its no longer plausible that the Benin's would bury any part of their dead Oba in ife or anywhere else in the world.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 02, 2014
SirShymex: Lmao...the biggest myth ever busted!!! grin

Orlando_Owoh, I beg you take the topic to the culture section, so it can make frontpage.

Hopefully, Bini folks would accept this reality. grin

I'll save the thread and picture in my archives. cool

So Benin OBAs are buried in a Gutter in ILE ife...hmmmm interesting, yorubas looking for relevance everywhere

5 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 02, 2014
Orlando Owoh:
I was at the shrine this morning.
And you didnt visit your ancestors grin grin grin
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:26am On Jul 02, 2014
5thNOTE: thank God u wrote the historian writers name, this are yoruba who have twisted history to all their favour. Every book written by yoruba writers are all on their sides and gains, all teacherous. Out of love was the younger brother(a prince) was nt killed by his brother who was the the king. It was even when he reached Ife, he (the prince) could dare make mouth against his senior brother
Could you then quote from "A Short History of Benin" by Eghrevba for a 'balanced' argument?

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:47am On Jul 02, 2014
This is a footnote from AFC Ryder's "The Benin Kingdom in Groundwork of Nigerian History edited by Obaro Ikimi.

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by enomakos(m): 10:49am On Jul 02, 2014
what the last king buried in that ado?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by enomakos(m): 10:52am On Jul 02, 2014
[quote
author=Orlando Owoh]
The oba of Benin was among the sons of Oduduwa who met at Ita Ijero
(place of consultation) in Ile-Ife. From here, he and others dispersed.
Ita Ijero is still in Ife. Read "Yorubaland up to 1800" by Akinjogbin
and Ayandele in Groundwork of Nigerian History edited by Obaro
Ikimi.[/quote] akinjogbin and ayandele need to be castrated
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by enomakos(m): 11:00am On Jul 02, 2014
Revolva: well all i know yorubas came out from the benins..notbenins came out from the yorubas...ok
that is the truth,the yorubas are our children
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by donodion(m): 11:00am On Jul 02, 2014
Redoil: Land grabbers at it again. You people will never learn that the benin kings are always burried in benin. You saw a shirine and so what..
guy no mind dem.na for dream dem dey bury bini obas for yoruba land.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by MacLovington(m): 11:03am On Jul 02, 2014
koastar: I believe some people here are close to, related or from the royal family in Benin or those whose fathers are high chiefs or king makers in Benin can help to find out the true position of this culture if truly the corpse of the Oba of Benin are buried in Ife as claimed in the evidence brought forward by the op. This will help to unravel the mystery.

Thank you my brother. Some people just argue for the sake of it.

There is always much secrecy surrounding burial rites of a departed Oba. Also know that there has only been 3 deaths over the past 100 years.

Oba Ovonramen in 1914, Eweka II in 1933 and Akenzua II in 1979.

That a shrine is dedicated to an Oba of Benin at Ife (Uhe as it called in Bini) is no surprise. It is not disputed within the palace or among royal descendants that Oramiyan (Oranyan) founded the current dynasty via Oba Eweka I (his son). A shrine in ancestral home is totally in order. But no evidence that the Oba's remains or part there of go to Ife.

That the Binis believe that Ododuwa (Izeduwa) was a Benin prince in the first place has been a topic of long discussion between Yorubas & Binis.

AND ANOTHER THING:

We need to start knowing the difference between origin of Bini people AND origin of Benin Royal family. They are TWO different things.

Bini people existed for at least 1500 years in the pre-Ogiso and Ogiso era as Igodomigodo before Oranmiyan came in about 1169 AD.

Even basic philology (study of origin of languages) shows that Bini & Yoruba languages don't belong to same family. Whereas Bini, Urhobo (and Okpe dialect), Esan, Isoko, Degema (in Rivers State), Owan, Afemai, Ososo and a few dozens more are same Edoid language family.

Reminder: the Bernadotte Royal house of Sweden are French but Swedes are not French. The Greek Royal family are Danish-German but Greeks are not German or Danish. The Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (later called Windsor) are German but the English are not directly German but a collection of Danes/Jutes and Saxons/Sachsen (Germans).
I think a better education in history in 9ja without tribal bias will go a long way.

In my family, we're proud of our Bini as well as our Ado-Owo heritage.
Among our family "Oriki" when you greet an elderly lady (EL)/man is:

Me: Iyenokhua (Iya agba) Lamogun
EL: Ihoen Ovbie Umogun, Umogun bi'Oba, Ovbie Uhe, Uhe bi'Oba. Ovbie Elibokun, Elibukun ne Okhokho n'Uhe.

Me: Grandma Lamogun
EL: I hear the son of Umogun, Umogun the progenitor of Oba, the son of Ife, Ife the home of Oba, the son of Elibokun, Elibokun the beautiful bird from Ife.

NOTE: Lamogun is the morning salutation of royal descendants in Benin. Different families have different ones. My other relatives like Ero (the pre-Oranmiyan duke of Urubi) greet "Lamosun", The Elawure of Usen greet "Delaihe", the Ezomo (Duke of Uzebu quarters) greet "Lagiesan". Etc.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Feraz(m): 11:05am On Jul 02, 2014
I'm waiting for PhysicsQED's input on this since I know he's quite knowledgeable about the Bini kingdom here on Nairaland.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by lamdec(f): 11:11am On Jul 02, 2014
eghos12: since historians of benin can rember the oba of benin is rested @ his palace . I stay in benin and a bini for that mater i have visted the palace even asked my father where the immediate oba was buried he answered the palace that there is a royal resting ground there i also asked if they slay slaves and add it to the dead oba he said no. So i ask a chief who was @ my sis weding if all obas ever existed were buried in the palace he said yes except one who was taking from his throne by the white . And took to calabar were he died . But he did not know were he was buried cause he said it was about 1914 i.e the imediate past two oba of benin . He even told me that not all prince have the chance to become oba that even one oba only rained for 7 days then he died ... So nairalanders obas of benin are buried in oba palace.

For those that want to see the burial groud we are not allowed to go near there cause the place is undisclosed in his palace even the chief hasent see the place only palace chiefs, strong men in palace knows were

I have been observing this Benin-Yoruba argument for a while and although I am not taking sides but I want to go by what you posted.
According to your claim, only some specific people knows where the Oba of Benin is buried and what is done during burial. Even the Chiefs don't know, you claimed only the Palace Chiefs know and they won't tell. So that has proven that NO Benin person can Authoritatively say if the Heads of the Oba of Benin is buried in Ile-Ife or not. And here there is a proof of a Shrine that indicates that the Head of Oba of Benin is buried in Ife, and like the Edo people use to claim that their history is well documented, I think we should go by the proof we have on ground and agree that the "Heads" not the whole body is buried in Ile ife, while the other part of the body is buried in Benin.
I know we would not reach a concesus even with proof because as humans, we believe we are superior than any other person(s).

10 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Wisdytech(m): 11:18am On Jul 02, 2014
SSS Is Recruiting Cadet Officers- Nasir El- rufai (Wed. 02nd, July, 2014)

www.nairaland.com/1795897/sss-recruiting-cadet-officers-nasir
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by johnbosco97(m): 11:35am On Jul 02, 2014
Yorubas cowardice is legendary and their history of honoring criminals are well known. They should be ashamed that a bini fugitive gave them cultural order. They are distorting history so as to grab bini land which Awolowo tried but failed woefully. So stop distort history of bini people because they know their history more you can think of.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 02, 2014
macof:

I don't think this tradition is still held today.

Before the Ooni Ife is not supposed to leave Ife or let foreigners(non ife) see his face but it's not so anymore
i learnt that also obtains in the benin kingdom,that the oba of benin mustsnt see his 1st son..legend has it that the current oba of benin got so old his mother had to trick oba Akenzua to the palace court to behold something important only to get there to his son..learnt he got angry,turned back and placed a curse on her and stormed into his charmber never to be seen again...well,i dont know the authenticity of that but i know the current oba was old in years b4 ascending the throne just like prince charlse is getting old while da queen is still frolicking..
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Sweetlemon(f): 11:46am On Jul 02, 2014
One question please.

Why the hell are Yorubas and Igbos so obsessed with claiming SS tribes no matter how much we shout and scream that we are NOT and will NEVER be Yorubas/Igbos?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by crackhaus: 11:59am On Jul 02, 2014
MacLovington: .

Thank you my brother. Some people just argue for the sake of it.

There is always much secrecy surrounding burial rites of a departed Oba. Also know that there has only been 3 deaths over the past 100 years.

Oba Ovonramen in 1914, Eweka II in 1933 and Akenzua II in 1979.

That a shrine is dedicated to an Oba of Benin at Ife (Uhe as it called in Bini) is no surprise. It is not disputed within the palace or among royal descendants that Oramiyan (Oranyan) founded the current dynasty via Oba Ewea I (his son). A shrine in ancestral home is totally in order. But no evidence that the Oba's remains or part there of go to Ife.

That the Binis believe that Ododuwa (Izeduwa) was a Benin prince in the first place has been a topic of long discussion between Yorubas & Binis.

AND ANOTHER THING:

We need to start knowing the difference between origin of Bini people AND origin of Benin Royal family. They are TWO different things.

Bini people existed for at least 1500 years in the pre-Ogiso and Ogiso era as Igodomigodo before Oranmiyan came in about 1169 AD.

Finally, someone who reasons constructively and without tribal bias.
Your comment @emboldened is the reason why I try to steer clear of this Edo-Yoruba argument every time I come across it.

The origins of Oduduwa and Oranmiyan is and was never the start or birth of the Bini empire. this is what most people trying to force superiority don't seem to understand. As you rightly said, the Ogiso dynasty which spanned over 1000 years and produced the Ogiso rulers and kings was already in existence long before the Oranmiyan and Oduduwa era.

The Ogiso empire covered as far as Benin Republic (notice the name), Togo, and even parts of Ghana. Some historians have claimed that the Ashanti tribe of the Akan ethnic group in Ghana also have some history with the Ogisos.
Within Nigeria, the whole of mid-western region and Yoruba kingdom also formed part of the Ogiso empire, all this was before the arrival of the Portuguese who further enlightened the Bini people in modern (as at that time) skills and crafts with which they used to master the arts of bronze casting, metal works, clay handling and building, as well as enhancing trades between the Portuguese and the Binis via the closest port in 'Eko' which was also under Bini empire.

I think I'll stop here before I type my day away, the history of the Binis/Portuguese/British/Yoruba is quite extensive.

4 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Ubenedictus(m): 12:04pm On Jul 02, 2014
Olumidzti: But this is only a simple matter of fact. Where was the last king buried?
in bini.

Oba erediawa and his son can show you the burial place of there father.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 02, 2014
crackhaus:
Finally, someone who reasons constructively and without tribal bias.
Your comment @emboldened is the reason why I try to steer clear of this Edo-Yoruba argument every time I come across it.

The origins of Oduduwa and Oranmiyan is and was never the start or birth of the Bini empire. this is what most people trying to force superiority don't seem to understand. As you rightly said, the Ogiso dynasty which spanned over 1000 years and produced the Ogiso rulers and kings was already in existence long before the Oranmiyan and Oduduwa era.

The Ogiso empire covered as far as Benin Republic (notice the name), Togo, and even parts of Ghana. Some historians have claimed that the Ashanti tribe of the Akan ethnic group in Ghana also have some history with the Ogisos.
Within Nigeria, the whole of mid-western region and Yoruba kingdom also formed part of the Ogiso empire, all this was before the arrival of the Portuguese who further enlightened the Bini people in modern (as at that time) skills and crafts with which they used to master the arts of bronze casting, metal works, clay handling and building, as well as enhancing trades between the Portuguese and the Binis via the closest port in 'Eko' which was also under Bini empire.

I think I'll stop here before I type my day away, the history of the Binis/Portuguese/British/Yoruba is quite extensive.

At bolded: Barbecued lies from Hell's Kitchen! Please, desist from typing BS with your leprous fingers if you know nothing, really it is disgusting!

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by michelz: 12:08pm On Jul 02, 2014
Sweetlemon: One question please.

Why the hell are Yorubas and Igbos so obsessed with claiming SS tribes no matter how much we shout and scream that we are NOT and will NEVER be Yorubas/Igbos?
You see how dum.b you are? This how you go about writing and talking complete off-points after smoking your usual junk...can't you just shut it if you have nothing reasonable to contribute? How's this thread about the Igbos??

4 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jul 02, 2014
Fact: heads of Benin Kings have been buried in Ile-Ife since Eweka till the colonialist took a strong hold and it was stopped - the last 2 Benin Kings were buried in Benin with their complete parts.

Fact: Yoruba was the palace language in Benin until recently, I believe it was stopped by the present Oba because during the predecessor's time, Yoruba was still the palace language.

Benin Monarchy is different from Benin people who had been long in existence before Oranmiyan and Eweka. The Oranmiya/Eweka phenomenal effect was making Benin throne an offshoot and a 'junior' to Ife throne like other Yoruba thrones where Ife gives blessings and confirmation of every ascending king - in the case of Benin, it was furthered by making Yoruba the palace language and burial of Benin king parts in Ife.

The confusion we have today is as a result of egotistic kings who seek to slash history into bits just to be highly placed - above or equal to Ooni. Same is Ijebu with Sudan story. The effect of this egotistic agendas is why we are here arguing place of Oba Ado's death - in a few more decades starting from now, we will begin to argue Yoruba language was never Benin Palace language.

Soon, successful Benin kings will stop going to Ife for blessings and confirmation of kingship and we will start debating if previous Benin kings ever did.

5 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Sweetlemon(f): 12:17pm On Jul 02, 2014
michelz: You see how dum.b you are? This how you go about writing and talking complete off-points after smoking your usual junk...can't you just shut it if you have nothing reasonable to contribute? How's this thread about the Igbos??

Abegi shut it right there!!

As if I won't see a thread on front page tomorrow of Igbos claiming Aniomas or Ikweres or Ibibios or wherever same way Yorubas keep claiming Isheki and Edo people.

Over sentimental nonsense like you! mtcheeeeeew
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by eghos12(m): 12:17pm On Jul 02, 2014
lamdec:

I have been observing this Benin-Yoruba argument for a while and although I am not taking sides but I want to go by what you posted.
According to your claim, only some specific people knows where the Oba of Benin is buried and what is done during burial. Even the Chiefs don't know, you claimed only the Palace Chiefs know and they won't tell. So that has proven that NO Benin person can Authoritatively say if the Heads of the Oba of Benin is buried in Ile-Ife or not. And here there is a proof of a Shrine that indicates that the Head of Oba of Benin is buried in Ife, and like the Edo people use to claim that their history is well documented, I think we should go by the proof we have on ground and agree that the "Heads" not the whole body is buried in Ile ife, while the other part of the body is buried in Benin.
I know we would not reach a concesus even with proof because as humans, we believe we are superior than any other person(s).

sir okay so u mean to say that all past oba of benins are beheaded and their head taken to ife... I dont think so.

N.b what i said about palace chiefs knowing were kings are buried is that yes all of us know he is buried in the palce but we dont know which part cause tourist and citizens dont do tours inside the palace.

Gist
In 1908 oba palace was move from uselu ugbowo to airport road benin city due to the beincity being a major capital of bendel state. Before now all obas were buried in uselu. Oba ovoramen nogbasi is the only oba buried in diasporal . He was deported by the whites in 1897 for killing whites soilders sent into benincity he later died in calabar in 1914 . The oba of benin then oba ewae 11 went to calabar to carry his father corporse but was later today he was aready buried so he left him there. oba ewae 11 died 1932 and oba akenzuwa was correniated in 1933. He died 1970s and the presient oba of benin oba erediwa okua kpolo oba of benin was correnated immediately. Only three oba are buried in the oba palace @ present . The burial ground is situated inside the palace but no outsider knows were. Binis were rumored to have been people who migrated to the south part of nigeria in the 7 centuries and have been there till now. so niralanders the op pic is not our oba head buried there

below is a google pic of oba omvoranmen nogbasi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jul 02, 2014
Le Gull: Linguistically, Bini language has no roots with any other culture.

Culturally, the Bini arts crafts, traditions and religion are unique to that empire.

The Bini Empire had witnessed several long ruling dynasties far greater than any other in the whole of sub-Saharan Africa apart from ancient Egypt.

Stop telling porkies - a large chunk of Bini religion came from Yoruba. Ifa, Olokun, Ogun etc.

A lot of Bini arts also came from Yoruba. There are Ife, Owo, and Ijebu influences on Benin arts - even most Benin historians can't deny this.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by crackhaus: 12:26pm On Jul 02, 2014
9jacrip:

At bolded: Barbecued lies from Hell's Kitchen! Please, desist from typing BS with your leprous fingers if you know nothing, really it is disgusting!
You're a cretin, an unintelligible nitwit. Can't you make known your disagreement without exposing the scum of the earth that you are for the whole cyber-world to see?
You are a cacophonous catastrophe and I do not even know you, neither have I come across you making any note-worthy contributions on this forum in all my time here.
Please desist from quoting anyone if all you intend to do is insult over an anonymous forum, clearly you are retar.ded and cannot assimilate constructively the fact that historical accounts are highly suggestive... gringrin

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 02, 2014
shymexx:

Stop telling porkies - a large chunk of Bini religion came from Yoruba. Ifa, Olokun, Ogun etc.

A lot of Bini arts also came from Yoruba. There are Ife, Owo, and Ijebu influences on Benin arts - even most Benin historians can't deny this.

Bro, this is the effect of their Oba's ego influenced fraud committed on history. He has set a trend of denial, they will deny anything and everything over mere supremacy that holds no water nor has any resultant effect when world over, people know the history of Ife and its relation to other kingdoms in the S/West and beyond.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Arosa(m): 12:30pm On Jul 02, 2014
The only proof of heads of Obas buried in ILE IFE are the bronze heads discovered in the oni of ife's palace. They are not actual human heads. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Excited Masquerade Poses With Catholic Priest After Meeting Him On The Road.PICS / Throwback Photo Of Ooni Of Ife With The Ladies / Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife, Prophesied Her Reign As Queen Over A Year Ago?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.