Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? (5480 Views)

How Does The Fact That There Are Gay Animals Impact The Idea That Gay Is Sin? / How Does The Fact That There Are Gay/homosexual Animals Impact The Idea Is SIN? / What Is The Inspiration Behind The Naming Of This Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 29, 2014
JMAN05:

How do you say it could not have been Paul, when he identified himself as such? 2Tim. 1:1.

The writer identified himself (2Pet 1:1). He stated he had written an initial letter (2Pet 3:1).

If not Peter, who is it that witnessed Christ's magnificence? 2Pet. 1:16.

That an account was accepted latter as inspired didn't mean it became inspired that time. It only means the inspiration of it was noted later.

The book was not written when its inspiration became accepted by many.

In my view, the Book 2 Peter is most assuredly a forgery in the name of Peter. “Petrine Pseudepigrapha” is nothing new and there are quite a few apocryphal “Petrine” Gospels written early to late second century, try reading the Apocalypse of Peter, which narrowly missed out making the canons, it is scary!

We know that Peter was a low-classed Aramaic speaking fisherman who would have from an early age grown up on the waters. In Acts 4:13 we are left in no doubt he is “unlettered” uneducated and illiterate. On the other hand, 2 Peter is written in high-quality Greek by someone who was fluent in the language and who was thoroughly imbued with the Jewish Scriptures in their Greek translation.

Interestingly, Papias tells us that Mark was the official scribe/interpreter of Peter and it is through the eyes of Peter we have the Gospel of Mark, you can therefore draw your own conclusions.

2 Peter was not widely accepted, or even known in the early church. The first time any author makes a definitive reference to the book is around 220 CE, that is, nearly 150 years after it was allegedly written.
You could probably figure out yourself that much of the diatribe in the book is borrowed practically wholesale, from another book, the epistle of Jude. This is one of the reasons for dating the book itself to around 120 CE or so when the Epistle of Jude itself was written.

As you probably know, the author is particularly concerned about people who scoff at the Christian idea that the end of the age is coming soon, as predicted “through the commandment of the Lord and Saviour by the holy prophets and your apostles” Clearly the author wasn’t one of the apostles.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU: @Sarassin, this is another article that punches holes into your misconstrued objections.

Your article barely lays a glove on my arguments.You have merely repeated yourself over and over again in the vain hope that if you say it often enough it will become the accepted truth. I have pointed out that various verses from Isaiah have been found transposed in the Book of Kings for instance amongst others, this should tell you that the composition of these various ancient books did not rely on modern authorship rules. We agree to disagree.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled" (Matthew 5:18).

Here is the commentary of the Lord Jesus on the doctrine of plenary verbal inspiration. Not only were the words of the Bible divinely inspired, but even the very letters!

The “jot” was the smallest letter of the Hebrew alphabet (jod, the tenth letter). The “tittle” was a small horn-like appendage which transformed one Hebrew letter into another. Thus, a stronger statement of absolute verbal inspiration than this could hardly be imagined.

Claiming inerrancy is a slippery slope;
As we shall see, in almost the same breathe, Jesus takes a diametrically opposed view to the law;

Here are his words in Mat. 5:38-39 he say says "You have heard it said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you. Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

2 Likes

Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by PastorAIO: 3:18pm On Jul 29, 2014
Sarassin:

Claiming inerrancy is a slippery slope;

Ol boi, it's the slipperiest slope that anybody can choose to stand on. The Bible makes so many mistakes all the time everywhere. Even internally, it is internally inconsistent with itself.

As it is written in Isaiah the prophet: "BEHOLD, I SEND MY MESSENGER AHEAD OF YOU, WHO WILL PREPARE YOUR WAY; Mark 1 verse 2

If God wrote this, surely God himself would know his own inspiration and know that Isaiah the prophet said no such thing. The writer of Mark was quoting Malachi 3 vs 1. He got muddled up and attributed it to Isaiah. Now, would God make such a mistake.

And let's not forget how these people like to jump and dance if someone else should make the slightest error in quoting the bible, even spelling mistake sef. So we see, according to them, God demonstrating ignorance of his own scripture. How they must look down on God for that?

It was even on this thread that the OP was trying to start a parade, even a pageant sef, over a line about kissing the son. If that was worth the brouhaha then how much more will he dance over God not knowing one prophet from the next.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:10pm On Jul 29, 2014
PastorAIO:

Ol boi, it's the slipperiest slope that anybody can choose to stand on. The Bible makes so many mistakes all the time everywhere. Even internally, it is internally inconsistent with itself.

As it is written in Isaiah the prophet: "BEHOLD, I SEND MY MESSENGER AHEAD OF YOU, WHO WILL PREPARE YOUR WAY; Mark 1 verse 2

If God wrote this, surely God himself would know his own inspiration and know that Isaiah the prophet said no such thing. The writer of Mark was quoting Malachi 3 vs 1. He got muddled up and attributed it to Isaiah. Now, would God make such a mistake.

And let's not forget how these people like to jump and dance if someone else should make the slightest error in quoting the bible, even spelling mistake sef. So we see, according to them, God demonstrating ignorance of his own scripture. How they most look down on God for that?

It was even on this thread that the OP was trying to start a parade, even a pageant sef, over a line about kissing the son. If that was worth the brouhaha then how much more will he dance over God not knowing one prophet from the next.
how did i miss this thread?
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 7:16am On Jul 31, 2014
Sarassin:

In my view, the Book 2 Peter is most assuredly a forgery in the name of Peter. “Petrine Pseudepigrapha” is nothing new and there are quite a few apocryphal “Petrine” Gospels written early to late second century, try reading the Apocalypse of Peter, which narrowly missed out making the canons, it is scary!

We know that Peter was a low-classed Aramaic speaking fisherman who would have from an early age grown up on the waters. In Acts 4:13 we are left in no doubt he is “unlettered” uneducated and illiterate. On the other hand, 2 Peter is written in high-quality Greek by someone who was fluent in the language and who was thoroughly imbued with the Jewish Scriptures in their Greek translation.

You ve not said anything against the internal testimony of the writer. I wonder who witnessed Christ's transfiguration.

He was "unlettered" does not mean that Peter was an illiterate. Jews were taught from infancy. Peter is not an exception. He never attended one of the rabbinic school, that was why they dubbed him "unlettered".

But does not acts 4:13 even shows the power of God in his servants? though he was "unlettered" who could have thought he would be so eloquent? God can sharpen any man's ability. That verse should even teach us that it is even possible that he will write that account. Many who doubt Peter's ability forgot that this men were empowered by the holy spirit. When Peter and others were speaking in another language in pentacost, who taight them those language they were sspeaking?

Answer me:

Who helped John to write his epistle?

Interestingly, Papias tells us that Mark was the official scribe/interpreter of Peter and it is through the eyes of Peter we have the Gospel of Mark, you can therefore draw your own conclusions.

2 Peter was not widely accepted, or even known in the early church. The first time any author makes a definitive reference to the book is around 220 CE, that is, nearly 150 years after it was allegedly written.
You could probably figure out yourself that much of the diatribe in the book is borrowed practically wholesale, from another book, the epistle of Jude. This is one of the reasons for dating the book itself to around 120 CE or so when the Epistle of Jude itself was written.

And you think the rabbis never viewed mark as being "unlettered"?

Who is dating Jude at 120 CE? That one is really mistaken. I wonder when the Muratorian Fragment was written and the date of books it compiled.

I dont know where you are detaching this from actually, Irenaeus quoted 2 Peter, was he also mistaken or was he born in 220 CE?

My dear Peter wrote his second letter before Jude's. (Jude 17, 18), if u can see through text, you will get my point.

As you probably know, the author is particularly concerned about people who scoff at the Christian idea that the end of the age is coming soon, as predicted “through the commandment of the Lord and Saviour by the holy prophets and [b]your apostles”[/b] Clearly the author wasn’t one of the apostles.

That is not what he was particularly concerned about, he called attention to that for a purpose. His discussion and the people he was writing to made that assertion called for.

Peter stated that he was an apostle already. 2pet 1:1. He is however, not an apostle to the gentiles. I will do more research on that though. But he is really an apostle as the first verse nd chapter shows.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 31, 2014
Sarassin:

Yes, we see the use of that mechanism by the Prophet Isaiah, i.e referring to future events as past events, however, predictive text (that is what it is) is very clear and narrative text is also very clear and there is a huge difference. The authors of "Deutero" and possibly a "Trito" Isaiah must have been contemporary to what they wrote, the narratives and use of language which they tried very hard to place in the lifetime of Isaiah bears this out. Later priests following in the tradition of Isaiah simply copied his methods.

As far as you do not doubt the chapter 13, case closed.

You are just dying in assumptions. The first century christians that quoted Isaiah never identified this ur mysterious Isaiah, but you are here more knowledgeable than them.

This early apostles never stated that one Isaiah was unknown.

Secondly, the original work of the Dead Sea Scroll shows a continuity from Chapters 39 to the beginning of chapter 40, he never created a division among the two.

When the prophet prophesied about events in Jesus' life, do you also say another Isaiah in the first century CE wrote it?

this discussion isn't making sense at all.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 31, 2014
JMAN05
As far as you do not doubt the chapter 13, case closed.

You are just dying in assumptions. The first century christians that quoted Isaiah never identified this ur mysterious Isaiah, but you are here more knowledgeable than them.

There is no dispute that Isaiah authored chapters 1-39 of the volume that bears his name.
First century Christians never identified deutero-Isaiah, true, how could they? they could barely identify themselves, the book was written 700 years prior.

This early apostles never stated that one Isaiah was unknown.

Secondly, the original work of the Dead Sea Scroll shows a continuity from Chapters 39 to the beginning of chapter 40, he never created a division among the two.

Absolutely pointless.

When the prophet prophesied about events in Jesus' life, do you also say another Isaiah in the first century CE wrote it?

Isaiah made no such prophecy. Surely if he was prophetic enough to name Cyrus, then without any doubt he would have named Jesus.

this discussion isn't making sense at all.

Never a truer statement made!
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 31, 2014
JMAN05
He was "unlettered" does not mean that Peter was an illiterate. Jews were taught from infancy. Peter is not an exception. He never attended one of the rabbinic school, that was why they dubbed him "unlettered".

But does not acts 4:13 even shows the power of God in his servants? though he was "unlettered" who could have thought he would be so eloquent? God can sharpen any man's ability. That verse should even teach us that it is even possible that he will write that account. Many who doubt Peter's ability forgot that this men were empowered by the holy spirit. When Peter and others were speaking in another language in pentacost, who taight them those language they were sspeaking?

Answer me:

Who helped John to write his epistle?

Peter was Illiterate, end of story. He came from Capernaum on the shores of the sea of Gallilee, a school did not exist there. Who told you "Jews were taught from infancy" that is a nonesense. The vast majority of first century Palestinians could neither read nor write. It is a far cry from speaking in tongues (even Nigerians do it) but you don't all write high-quality Greek.

I have no interest in who helped John write his epistle.

[quoteWho is dating Jude at 120 CE? That one is really mistaken. I wonder when the Muratorian Fragment was written and the date of books it compiled.

I dont know where you are detaching this from actually, Irenaeus quoted 2 Peter, was he also mistaken or was he born in 220 CE?

My dear Peter wrote his second letter before Jude's. (Jude 17, 18), if u can see through text, you will get my point.][/quote]

The Muratorian fragments are dated to around 170CE
Irenaeus lived from early second century. Kindly supply chapter and verse of Irenaeus' quotation of 2 Peter.
The tradition is that 2 Peter drew from Jude, (2 Peter, Chap. 2)

Peter stated that he was an apostle already. 2pet 1:1. He is however, not an apostle to the gentiles. I will do more research on that though. But he is really an apostle as the first verse nd chapter shows.

Sure, anyone can state anything.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:50pm On Jul 31, 2014
Actually all jews were actually taught to read the torah from infancy.

Jesus didn't learn under the rabbis yet when he appeared in the temple he read the torah and said "this passage is fulfilled before your eyes".

This reading of the torah was supposed to mark the transition to adulthood of a jewish man.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 31, 2014
Ubenedictus: Actually all jews were actually taught to read the torah from infancy.

Jesus didn't learn under the rabbis yet when he appeared in the temple he read the torah and said "this passage is fulfilled before your eyes".

This reading of the torah was supposed to mark the transition to adulthood of a jewish man.

Let us not forget that the Torah consists of the first five books of Moses.
The Jews were taught to Recite key portions of it
The vast majority of early Jews had the scriptures read to them.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:28pm On Jul 31, 2014
Sarassin:

Let us not forget that the Torah consists of the first five books of Moses.
The Jews were taught to Recite key portions of it
The vast majority of early Jews had the scriptures read to them.

let us not forget that Jesus actually read from the prophets, not not some selected portion of the torah as you claim.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 31, 2014
Ubenedictus:

let us not forget that Jesus actually read from the prophets, not not some selected portion of the torah as you claim.

Yes, I believe that if you look closely at the sayings of Jesus and Rabbi Hillel (the elder) you will find that Jesus probably had a first class education at the feet of Hillel. The same cannot be said of Peter.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 12:11am On Aug 01, 2014
Sarassin:

Peter was Illiterate, end of story. He came from Capernaum on the shores of the sea of Gallilee, a school did not exist there. Who told you "Jews were taught from infancy" that is a nonesense. The vast majority of first century Palestinians could neither read nor write. It is a far cry from speaking in tongues (even Nigerians do it) but you don't all write high-quality Greek.

Go to Strong's encyclopedia, type "education" and check the custom of the Jews. At least that will help clear you a lil.

I have no interest in who helped John write his epistle.

Please I have an interest in it, and that interest will help to clear you of the stand you take. Pls answer.

The Muratorian fragments are dated to around 170CE

I hope the issue of Jude should have been cleared from that your answer. No?

Your answer will show me your level in bible history.

Irenaeus lived from early second century. Kindly supply chapter and verse of Irenaeus' quotation of 2 Peter.
The tradition is that 2 Peter drew from Jude, (2 Peter, Chap. 2).

2 Peter 3:8 Against heresies 5.23.2

That tradition is wrong, rather Jude likely drew from Peter's. Peter likely wrote his account before Jude.

Sure, anyone can state anything.

Just like they have stated that Peter's second letter is doubtful, even though internal evidence suggests Peter wrote it.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 12:37am On Aug 01, 2014
Sarassin:

Yes, I believe that if you look closely at the sayings of Jesus and Rabbi Hillel (the elder) you will find that Jesus probably had a first class education at the feet of Hillel. The same cannot be said of Peter.

Oga abeg talk wetin you know. Is good to close one's mouth instead of saying what you dont know.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 12:50am On Aug 01, 2014
Sarassin:

There is no dispute that Isaiah authored chapters 1-39 of the volume that bears his name.
First century Christians never identified deutero-Isaiah, true, how could they? they could barely identify themselves, the book was written 700 years prior.

That confirmation of Isaiah 13 is enough to quell your argument, but cos you do not understand that the chapter is one of the problem scholars holding the same opinion as you hold has, you did agree. Had you read well, I know where else your copy and paste argument will lead to. But thanks for not being a "sharp photocopier".

So even Jesus do not also know? Sorry for you. sorry.

Absolutely pointless.

Poor understand I see.

Isaiah made no such prophecy. Surely if he was prophetic enough to name Cyrus, then without any doubt he would have named Jesus.

Who made the prophesies and when did he live his life?
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 12:58am On Aug 01, 2014
@JMAN05

You say Irenaeus quotes 2 Peter 3:8 in against heresies 5.23.2

I reproduce 5.23.2 here for you in its entirety.

"Now in this same day that they did eat, in that also did they die. But according to the cycle and progress of the days, after which one is termed first, another second, and another third, if anybody seeks diligently to learn upon what day out of the seven it was that Adam died, he will find it by examining the dispensation of the Lord. For by summing up in Himself the whole human race from the beginning to the end, He has also summed up its death. From this it is clear that the Lord suffered death, in obedience to His Father, upon that day on which Adam died while he disobeyed God. Now he died on the same day in which he did eat. For God said, 'In that day on which ye shall eat of it, ye shall die by death.' The Lord, therefore, recapitulating in Himself this day, underwent His sufferings upon the day preceding the Sabbath, that is, the sixth day of the creation, on which day man was created; thus granting him a second creation by means of His passion, which is that [creation] out of death"

Here is 2 Peter 3:8

"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 1:25am On Aug 01, 2014
@JMAN05

That confirmation of Isaiah 13 is enough to quell your argument, but cos you do not understand that the chapter is one of the problem scholars holding the same opinion as you hold has, you did agree. Had you read well, I know where else your copy and paste argument will lead to. But thanks for not being a "sharp photocopier".

So even Jesus do not also know? Sorry for you. sorry.

You really should reserve your apology for yourself, and perhaps should take the time to read through the posts on this thread properly before jumping in willy-nilly with a scatter gun approach.

If you cannot make a distinction between what is predictive prophecy and narrative text then this didscussion is pointless. I have stated for the umpteenth time that I have no issues with Isaiah giving predictive verses per se, my view is that all of the predictions were not Isaiah's. Your irritation at your perception of my failure to bite at your chapter 13 cherry is more at yourself and preconceived arguments than at anything else, if you cannot see that there are narrative verses that place a second Isaiah in the midst of events outside the lifespan of Isaiah Ben Amos, then we can agree to disagree and frankly, I am tired of repeating myself.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 2:43am On Aug 01, 2014
JMAN05
I hope the issue of Jude should have been cleared from that your answer. No?

The issue of Jude is very clear.

The Muratorian canon would have been in circulation roughly around 170CE as I mentioned earlier. It contains amongst others, the Epistle of Jude. 1 and 2 Peter are not contained. Indicating, either they were not written at the time, recently written as to not be included or considered forgeries. Your problem is quite obvious and huge, you seek to place the dating of 2 Peter within the lifetime of Peter who died around 65CE, don't waste your time....or mine.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:26pm On Aug 02, 2014
PastorAIO:

You would soon realise that you are the one on a slimy, slippery slope when I show you how you have just shot yourself in the foot, again.

PastorAIO:

What does Mark 1:2 actually say?

"As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before your face, which shall prepare your way before you" (Mark 1:2)

Where did this verse quote Isaiah? It says clearly here that "as it is written in the prophets" Mark quotes Malachi 3:1 as you have said but where did you see Mark attributing it to Isaiah? If Mark quoted Isaiah at all it will be in verse 3 where he quoted Isaiah 40:3. Malachi and Isaiah both prophesied many centuries in advance, of the coming of John the Baptist as the forerunner of our Lord Jesus Christ. There's no other book ever written that contains specifically fulfilled prophecies as the Bible, yet the Bible contains hundreds of such. Divine inspiration is the only reasonable explanation.

PastorAIO:

And let's not forget how these people like to jump and dance if someone else should make the slightest error in quoting the bible, even spelling mistake sef. So we see, according to them, God demonstrating ignorance of his own scripture. How they must look down on God for that?

Now that you have been shown to be the one who misquoted the Bible would you now eat your humble pie and apologise?

PastorAIO:

Now that you have been exposed for being a fraud and a would you have the courtesy to apologise and repent for accusing God for making mistakes? undecided
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 1:21am On Aug 04, 2014
Sarassin:

The issue of Jude is very clear.

The Muratorian canon would have been in circulation roughly around 170CE as I mentioned earlier. It contains amongst others, the Epistle of Jude. 1 and 2 Peter are not contained. Indicating, either they were not written at the time, recently written as to not be included or considered forgeries. Your problem is quite obvious and huge, you seek to place the dating of 2 Peter within the lifetime of Peter who died around 65CE, don't waste your time....or mine.

No, you are mistaken cos the fragment available is not all there is to the fragment, some may have been lost according Dr. Geoffrey Mark. Again, the fragment is not a final authority to what is canonical. It could also be that the letter hasn't gotten to them at the time of writing the fragment. The internal evidence is a good prove of authenticity though. Irenaeus and Cyril also accepted it.

No, about 64 CE.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 1:26am On Aug 04, 2014
Sarassin: @JMAN05

You say Irenaeus quotes 2 Peter 3:8 in against heresies 5.23.2

I reproduce 5.23.2 here for you in its entirety.

"Now in this same day that they did eat, in that also did they die. But according to the cycle and progress of the days, after which one is termed first, another second, and another third, if anybody seeks diligently to learn upon what day out of the seven it was that Adam died, he will find it by examining the dispensation of the Lord. For by summing up in Himself the whole human race from the beginning to the end, He has also summed up its death. From this it is clear that the Lord suffered death, in obedience to His Father, upon that day on which Adam died while he disobeyed God. Now he died on the same day in which he did eat. For God said, 'In that day on which ye shall eat of it, ye shall die by death.' The Lord, therefore, recapitulating in Himself this day, underwent His sufferings upon the day preceding the Sabbath, that is, the sixth day of the creation, on which day man was created; thus granting him a second creation by means of His passion, which is that [creation] out of death"

Here is 2 Peter 3:8

"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."

"And there are some, again, who relegate the death of Adam to the thousandth year; for since a day of the Lord is as a thousand years, 2 Peter 3:8 he did not overstep the thousand years, but died within them, thus bearing out the sentence of his sin."

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0103523.htm
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 2:34am On Aug 04, 2014
Sarassin: @JMAN05

You really should reserve your apology for yourself, and perhaps should take the time to read through the posts on this thread properly before jumping in willy-nilly with a scatter gun approach.

If you cannot make a distinction between what is predictive prophecy and narrative text then this didscussion is pointless. I have stated for the umpteenth time that I have no issues with Isaiah giving predictive verses per se, my view is that all of the predictions were not Isaiah's. Your irritation at your perception of my failure to bite at your chapter 13 cherry is more at yourself and preconceived arguments than at anything else, if you cannot see that there are narrative verses that place a second Isaiah in the midst of events outside the lifespan of Isaiah Ben Amos, then we can agree to disagree and frankly, I am tired of repeating myself.

1. Where have you repeated yourself to the umpteeth time, even 3 times, where?

2. What do you then mean by your narrative verses and predictive ones. Are narrative verses never predictive from your view? Are predictive verses never narrative?

3. How can the writer of Isaiah 13:19 be contemporary to the event he wrote about, when Babylon had not been a world power at the time of writing?

4. whether the account was a prediction, which you agreed, and Isaiah wrote it with past tense, isn't it remarkable that he stated what had not happened before it did? I was showing that God often utter His prophesies in that way cos His purposes are sure to come true.

Secondly, are you not here backing the idea that the prophesy of Isaiah was too far in the future for him to have been the prophet of that prophecy? That his post-exilic prophesy could not have been written far back before its fulfillment?

And I am trying to prove that these were all prophesies, so he doesn't have to live "250" additional years to pen his account.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:06pm On Aug 04, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

"Comfort Ye My People!" - Wayne Watson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tDSuJOsGV8

"Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: . . . . The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God."

-- Isaiah 40:1-3

"Every Valley."

The Album of the New Young Messiah. Every Valley sang by soloist sang by Larnelle Harris, as sang in CD in 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGJMqqjxlvo

" Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain." -- Isaiah 40:4

https://www.nairaland.com/983855/new-young-messiah
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 04, 2014
JMAN05:

No, you are mistaken cos the fragment available is not all there is to the fragment, some may have been lost according Dr. Geoffrey Mark. Again, the fragment is not a final authority to what is canonical. It could also be that the letter hasn't gotten to them at the time of writing the fragment. The internal evidence is a good prove of authenticity though. Irenaeus and Cyril also accepted it.

No, about 64 CE.

Not quite. Yes some part of the original document is lost but we know essentially what books comprised the compilation, for instance, the author tellsus he accepts 4 gospels, even though the first two gospels are missing from the fragment. It is the earliest known compilation of the NT canons. In any event, you claim the writer of Jude copied from Peter, if that were the case, how come Peter, the earlier writer did not make the canons and Jude who, according to you wrote later.....made the list?
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
JMAN05:

"And there are some, again, who relegate the death of Adam to the thousandth year; for since a day of the Lord is as a thousand years, 2 Peter 3:8 he did not overstep the thousand years, but died within them, thus bearing out the sentence of his sin."

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0103523.htm

Kindly point out to me where exactly Irenaeous quotes 2 Peter 3:8 in the quotation you cited.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 2:30am On Aug 05, 2014
Sarassin:

Kindly point out to me where exactly Irenaeous quotes 2 Peter 3:8 in the quotation you cited.

Youve not said anything, unless you need a Spec.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 2:41am On Aug 05, 2014
Sarassin:

Not quite. Yes some part of the original document is lost but we know essentially what books comprised the compilation, for instance, the author tellsus he accepts 4 gospels, even though the first two gospels are missing from the fragment. It is the earliest known compilation of the NT canons. In any event, you claim the writer of Jude copied from Peter, if that were the case, how come Peter, the earlier writer did not make the canons and Jude who, according to you wrote later.....made the list?

Quoted, not copied. The conclusion is that some manuscripts may not have received wider circulation like others. Transportation then was not as we have it today. Also James wrote before Jude, but his never made it to the fragment. Though 2 Peter is doubted by some, but there is nothing of the internal write up that is so devilish or against the overall trust of the scriptures.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by PastorAIO: 7:55pm On Aug 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

You would soon realise that you are the one on a slimy, slippery slope when I show you how you have just shot yourself in the foot, again.

What does Mark 1:2 actually say?

"As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before your face, which shall prepare your way before you" (Mark 1:2)

[b]Where did this verse quote Isaiah? It says clearly here that "as it is written in the prophets" Mark quotes Malachi 3:1 as you have said but where did you see Mark attributing it to Isaiah? [/b]If Mark quoted Isaiah at all it will be in verse 3 where he quoted Isaiah 40:3. Malachi and Isaiah both prophesied many centuries in advance, of the coming of John the Baptist as the forerunner of our Lord Jesus Christ. There's no other book ever written that contains specifically fulfilled prophecies as the Bible, yet the Bible contains hundreds of such. Divine inspiration is the only reasonable explanation.

Now that you have been shown to be the one who misquoted the Bible would you now eat your humble pie and apologise?

Now that you have been exposed for being a fraud and a would you have the courtesy to apologise and repent for accusing God for making mistakes? undecided

Mark 1:2 quote Isaiah the prophet in every translation of the bible except for One, namely, King James Version. It was deliberately changed in KJV because they were aware that Mark had got it wrong. Every other bible sticks true to what Mark says and so does every ancient manuscript that I am aware of.

Which brings us to a fine point that tallies with the subject of this thread. The matter of translations and their authenticity. If the translators of KJV can adjust the text to iron out what they perceive as errors then where else have they fiddled with the text to fit in with their agendas?
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by JesusisLord85: 8:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
JMAN05:

If you state that some parts of the bible are wrong, you are saying that God is an authur of falsehood to some extent, not so? or are you saying that God didnt guide the pening of everything written there?

The bible need not be deified. It isn't a talisman either. But the bible is infallible.

What we may view as error in the bible is not from its authur, Jehovah, but from we humans and other things I cant just itemize for now.

That the bible is infallible does not mean that other secular books are wrong in whatever they say, but none of them that contradicts God's word of truth is correct.

Jehovah? Who is that?
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 05, 2014
JesusisLord85:

Jehovah? Who is that?

The Creator of the Universe.
Re: How Does The Translation Process Impact The Inspiration, Inerrancy Of The Bible? by JesusisLord85: 10:24pm On Aug 05, 2014
JMAN05:

The Creator of the Universe.

Exodus 3
13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Does God change?

Malachi 3:6 "For I am the Lord, I change not"

Wonder where Jehovah came from. Anywhere you see this name, the original would have said YHVH, which is popularly interpreted as Yahweh. I wonder who put Jehovah there. God can only have one name. Many adjectives to describe His greatness...But one name.

When I used to attend church. I always heard/sang "call on his name". But nobody ever bothered to tell me his name. Probably because were were singing "to the unknown God".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can These Women Protest Like This In Saudi Arabia? / Pope Francis Where Did You Get This Word From? / Forgiveness And Grace, A Video Everybody Must Watch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.