Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training - Fashion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training (84651 Views)

Check Out Your Nigeria Brides On My African Bride Episode -1 / Photo: Check Out This Funny Head Gear(gele) A Woman Wore To An Occasion / This Is Me In My African Print Dress. I'd Like To Read Your Comments. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 10:15am On May 22, 2015
Wine color with a little bit of left over lace and a matching hair band.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 1:19pm On May 29, 2015
Hello friends.

So i have this interesting project at hand i want to share. A good friend of mine has this skirt and wrapper combo she wants to convert to something more dressy. it's this normal six pieces skirt that has a wrapper tied over it. The fabric is bright red and quite pretty. It is well embroidered so i decided to make something simple and classy.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 1:21pm On May 29, 2015
Am going to cut the above wrapper and skirt up and turn it into the dress below and see how i can play around with the thick gold border. Watch this space !!

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by noncy21: 9:38pm On May 29, 2015
following ma. welldone.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:20am On May 30, 2015
noncy21:
following ma. welldone.

Thanks my dear sis.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:26am On May 30, 2015
Update:

I used out of the wrapper to form the bust area. The princess darts are coming from the armhole rather than the shoulder. (first picture) I also decided to use the border for the waist to make a big band starting from the underbust.

The second picture shows the inside of the dress. The kind of attention i pay to the inside of my clothes has become like a trademark for me. I normally use the same fabric for the neck area rather than just lining so that when the wearer bends forward, the lining will not show. This is called a facing for those that don't know.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by Nobody: 11:45am On May 30, 2015
larosa:
Update:

I used out of the wrapper to form the bust area. The princess darts are coming from the armhole rather than the shoulder. (first picture) I also decided to use the border for the waist to make a big band starting from the underbust.

The second picture shows the inside of the dress. The kind of attention i pay to the inside of my clothes has become like a trademark for me. I normally use the same fabric for the neck area rather than just lining so that when the wearer bends forward, the lining will not show. This is called a facing for those that don't know.

Well done ma! Please how did you get the bossom curve using the princess dart? Thanks
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 6:04pm On May 30, 2015
juicypetal:

Well done ma! Please how did you get the bossom curve using the princess dart? Thanks

Hi, on your front pattern measure down from the shoulder 2 1/2 inches along the armhole curve. Draw a curve from that 2 1/2 inch point to join the bust point (where the bust dart joins the waist dart). Cut your paper along the curve you just drew down to the bust point. Close out the bust dart and you would get an armhole princess dart.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by Nobody: 9:40am On May 31, 2015
larosa:

Hi, on your front pattern measure down from the shoulder 2 1/2 inches along the armhole curve. Draw a curve from that 2 1/2 inch point to join the bust point (where the bust dart joins the waist dart). Cut your paper along the curve you just drew down to the bust point. Close out the bust dart and you would get an armhole princess dart.
Thanks Ma'am!
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by cheries: 9:30am On Jun 01, 2015
larosa:

Thanx ma. I just learnt something now.
Please ma, I have a question. In making a ball gown for a 12yr old child, which type of dart will be used?
Thanx.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by noncy21: 6:15pm On Jun 01, 2015
pls ma am having challenge in sewing d princess cut blouse. the curve part dt is bust point to armhole is giving headache. pls i need guidelines on how to go about it. tnx ma.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 6:38am On Jun 02, 2015
@ cheries does she have a bust yet? depending on how big she is , I don't normally use darts for children's wear.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 6:40am On Jun 02, 2015
noncy21:
pls ma am having challenge in sewing d princess cut blouse. the curve part dt is bust point to armhole is giving headache. pls i need guidelines on how to go about it. tnx ma.

please put up clear pictures of what you are sewing and how far you have gone so I know how to guide you.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:45pm On Aug 07, 2015
Hello friends grin

My sincere apologies for the lllooonnnggg absence i trust everyone is doing well. At my end i had a major fire incident in my home but i thank God no one was seriously hurt. I lost a lot of items in the fire but am back on my feet. Praise God!

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:50pm On Aug 07, 2015
The last time i was here i was working on converting a wrapper to a gown, see the pictures below:

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
This one is a 6-piece gown with lace bodice and tail

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 5:01pm On Aug 07, 2015
As you can imagine i have loads of pictures to put up but i will do that gradually:

Below is Ankara cargo pants with beaded chiffon top (students work)

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2015
Six pieces ankara gown with contrast bodice and double collar (students work)

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 5:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
Trouser and top set with contrast color embroidery (students work)

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:06pm On Aug 08, 2015
More pix:

Ankara skirt suit with contrast color bead work

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 4:08pm On Aug 08, 2015
Ankara skirt suit with chiffon sleeves and Mandarin collar:

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by cheries: 5:24pm On Aug 08, 2015
larosa:
More pix:
Ankara skirt suit with contrast color bead work
I love this, ma........ please can you teach us how to attach color bead? Is it done with needle or gum?
Thanx

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by ucheody: 7:17pm On Aug 08, 2015
so sorry about d fire incident! n lovely work u have!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 9:02pm On Aug 08, 2015
cheries:

I love this, ma........ please can you teach us how to attach color bead? Is it done with needle or gum?
Thanx

Thank you.

I always use needle and thread for my beading.It takes longer to finish but can last for years and endure frequent washing. Let's make it a date on Monday i will show you how to fix them.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 9:03pm On Aug 08, 2015
ucheody:
so sorry about d fire incident! n lovely work u have!

It was quite traumatic, thank you.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by cheries: 9:35pm On Aug 08, 2015
larosa:

Thank you.
I always use needle and thread for my beading.It takes longer to finish but can last for years and endure frequent washing. Let's make it a date on Monday i will show you how to fix them.
Thanx so much, ma.
I just read about the fire incident. So sorry, ma. No wonder you have been absent all these while. GOD will surely replenish all and also help you to get over in Jesus name, Amen.
Pls ma, I also have a problem. How can I achieve this full length?

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by Baltimooremich: 11:07am On Aug 09, 2015
11:02am I need a sweet sugarmummy pls call mike on 09091730712 for d sweetest sex of ur lifetime
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by bimbam(f): 1:00pm On Aug 09, 2015
Dear larosa

So sorry about the fire incident...May the Lord give you beauty for the ashes...as the Yoruba adage says , "the burnt palace will be rebuilt with even more beauty and splendour"

Take heart, dear...we give thanks that there was no loss of life...things can and will be replaced, iJMN!

Welcome back...

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:16pm On Aug 10, 2015
bimbam:

Dear larosa

So sorry about the fire incident...May the Lord give you beauty for the ashes...as the Yoruba adage says , "the burnt palace will be rebuilt with even more beauty and splendour"

Take heart, dear...we give thanks that there was no loss of life...things can and will be replaced, iJMN!

Welcome back...

Thank you my dear sis, God bless you.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:21pm On Aug 10, 2015
larosa:

Thank you.

OK ladies, as promised here is a quick picture lesson on sewing beads to fabric.

Am sure most of you already know how to do it but for those who don't here goes:

Picture 1: different kinds of beads including the iron on stones
Picture 2: draw the shape you want to bead on the fabric first
picture 3 & 4: thread the needle and put it through the fabric loop it firmly

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:37pm On Aug 10, 2015
Make sure the thread is firmly secured before you continue.

Pass the needle through the hole at the centre of one sequin and pick it up.

Pick up a bead also.

Pull both of them through till the end of the thread and sew them securely to the fabric.

Give a little space and move to the next sequin and bead.

2 Likes

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 8:46pm On Aug 10, 2015
Feel free to experiment and try beading with different sizes, shapes and colors of beads till you get your own personal style and taste.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Mexican Woman Looks Like Real Life Vampire After 49 Body Modifications (Graphic / Some Men Are No Longer Behaving And Dressing Like Men (Photos) / Female Guests Bare Cleavage At Lagos Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.