Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training (84652 Views)

Check Out Your Nigeria Brides On My African Bride Episode -1 / Photo: Check Out This Funny Head Gear(gele) A Woman Wore To An Occasion / This Is Me In My African Print Dress. I'd Like To Read Your Comments. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by evesogodo: 6:10pm On Aug 03, 2014
Interesting thread here, and I love your work, I'm so following. Welldone ma'am.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 11:26am On Aug 04, 2014
Hello ladies....

OK. label the first line NAPE
the second line shoulder
the third line waist

measure vertically down from the third line 8 inches . draw a horizontal line across your paper. label it hipline
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 11:36am On Aug 04, 2014
Repeat the process on the paper labelled BACK.

NOw take your tape, measure from your shoulder straight down to your nipple. note the measurement

go back to the paper labeled front.

Mark from the very first line measuring vertically down your shoulder to nipple measurement . e.g if its 10 inches you measure 10 down from the nape line. draw a straight line across the whole paper, label this line Bust line.

Do this for the front only.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 11:37am On Aug 04, 2014
I would try posting pix later today to be sure we are all on the right track.

God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 12:59pm On Aug 05, 2014
By now your paper should be looking like this for the front. Note that the gap between each line would vary depending on the measurements you are using.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 1:00pm On Aug 05, 2014
larosa: By now your paper should be looking like this for the front. Note that the gap between each line would vary depending on the measurements you are using.

Pix not uploading angry will try to modify and resend it.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by goforwardagu: 2:42pm On Aug 05, 2014
hello larosa,nice work so far.

pls what do u mean by ''shoulder to the tip'' and is it for the front or back?

thanks
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:41pm On Aug 05, 2014
goforwardagu: hello larosa,nice work so far.

pls what do u mean by ''shoulder to the tip'' and is it for the front or back?

thanks

wow am just noticing this I wrote n ip p l e maybe naira land edited it am not sure
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:42pm On Aug 05, 2014
shoulder to ni pple for d front only
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 9:30am On Aug 06, 2014
Can someone please help me out? whenever I try posting closeup pix they don't upload . I keep getting error message without the closeup pix not sure how people would be able to follow me. I can only upload pictures taken from a distance

Am using an Android phone camera and uploading the pix on my PC using Mozilla Firefox.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by fghanni(m): 12:55pm On Aug 06, 2014
Own a website (online store, blog) to Foster ur business development,facilitate & improve communication with your esteemed & prospective clients / customers to set ur organisation to compete and achieve more in today information age.

Call: 07032624096 bbm: 310E2C4F
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 5:07pm On Aug 06, 2014
Since pix are not uploading let's continue while am trying to resolve the problem.

divide your shoulder measurement by 2. measuring from the left of your paper mark whatever you get along the line labelled shoulder line . Do this for the front and back.

divide your bust measurement by 4 . measuring from your left along the line labelled bust line make a mark.

divide waist measurement by 4 mark the point on the line labelled waist line.

divide hip measurement by 4 mark the point on the line labelled hip line
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 5:13pm On Aug 06, 2014
Repeat the process for the back pattern

Note that what we are doing here is a simplified version of the basic pattern because of the beginners we would do without the bust dart.

obviously there is no ni pple at the back but for the sake of this tutorial use the same measurement as the shoulder to ni pple we used in front.

any questions before we continue?
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 1:25pm On Aug 07, 2014
Next...

counting from the upper left corner of your paper measure 3 inches horizontally along the nape line. the tip of your tape should be at the left edge of the paper .mark it. repeat at the back.

without moving the tip of your tape measure, rotate the tape down and measure down 3 inches to form a quadrant. this is your neck hole.

Remember we have marked our shoulder length on the shoulder line? from the point where the neck hole touches the nape line, draw a line to touch the shoulder point.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 3:37pm On Aug 07, 2014
Draw a straight line vertically to connect the shoulder point to the line labelled bust line.

Remember we divided the bust by 4 and marked the point? e.g bust 40 divided by 4 = 10. where you marked the 10, take a line down to the waist . this line should be slanted.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 6:53pm On Aug 15, 2014
Hello friends!!! sorry for the long absence i have been busy, busy, busy. i also had some challenges uploading pix of our tutorial but i finally figured out and resolved the problem.

The tutorial will continue mid next week ( i promise smiley

Thanks for all the calls and whatsapp messages.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 6:57pm On Aug 15, 2014
Some more pictures for you.

This is one of the brides maid dresses for the upcoming wedding i mentioned earlier. The gown is made of wine chiffon. the upper part is ankara bustier with boning inserted.

The skirt part has net under to make it puff out.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 6:59pm On Aug 15, 2014
This is for the chief bridesmaid. she asked for a strapless gown so we added a detachable shawl for the church service. The bust area is boned to prevent it from slipping down her bust while dancing grin

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:04pm On Aug 15, 2014
For the little bride...

her dress is draped at the bust (or do we say chest since she is a child), and below the waist. Draping can be very tricky but we nailed it am glad her mum was happy when she saw the dress.

The dress has not been beaded yet in these pictures.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:05pm On Aug 15, 2014
close up pix

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:07pm On Aug 15, 2014
Party time....

This dress is made in satin but overlaid with black chiffon. the waist is pleated. the upper part is a double wrap ( front and back wrap). The shoulders are tie-on.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:09pm On Aug 15, 2014
This jacket is for one of my Iyawo Pastor customers cheesy. looking good while covered up.

The body and sleeves are ankara. the lapel is contrast lemon chiffon with a cascading ruffle down one side. The sleeves are mutton shaped.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 7:11pm On Aug 15, 2014
Remember, call, sms or whatsapp la Rosa Fashions on 080 33304712 enquries about 3, 6 and 9 months patten design and sewing courses.

Stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by cheries: 7:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
They are all lovely..... I love them

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by noncy21: 8:52pm On Aug 15, 2014
They ar beautiful.

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 2:34pm On Aug 17, 2014
larosa: The major advantage of enrolling in La Rosa pattern design course is that its hands on practical from day 1.

Call, SMS or whatsapp on 080 33304712 for inquiries about 3, 6 and 9 months pattern design and garment construction training .Lots of freebies included.

you would be glad you did.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 12:20pm On Aug 23, 2014
Hello ladies...

So lets continue with our tutorial for the blue dress

By now your pattern should be looking like this.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 12:24pm On Aug 23, 2014
Next we are going to shape the armhole.
Measure up one inch from the bustline at the armpit area. mark the point. Place your tape at the shoulder point and make a curve down to the point we just marked. Depending on your body size, it should vary between 8" to about 12" , for this sample the armhole is 10 1/2".

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 12:27pm On Aug 23, 2014
Next we will draw a straight line from the waist point to the hip point. After drawing the line, make a gentle curve using the line as a guide. you could use french curves if you know how to use them.

You should get this.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 12:33pm On Aug 23, 2014
We are going to carve out the waist area now. Remember that we would not be using any waist darts in this pattern.

At the side of your waist, measure down 2" following the hip curve we drew earlier. At the extreme left of the waist line (along the centre front of your pattern), mark down how wide you want the band. Note that the wider the band at this point, the deeper the curve you would have to contend with. if you are a beginner at sewing, i would advise you keep the curve shallow, maybe about 3 1/2". For this dress i used 5".

Curve out to the 2" you marked along the hip curve.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 12:35pm On Aug 23, 2014
Repeat the process at the back but note that the back is straight across ( not curved)

Kindly post pictures of your patterns so far before we can continue. smiley

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Mexican Woman Looks Like Real Life Vampire After 49 Body Modifications (Graphic / Some Men Are No Longer Behaving And Dressing Like Men (Photos) / Female Guests Bare Cleavage At Lagos Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.