Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) (62010 Views)

Top 20 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2016) / Here Is The List Of The Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria. / Top 100 Best Universities In Nigeria - 2014 Universities Ranking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by penny01502: 11:53pm On Jul 06, 2014
Yungwizzzy28: Nor be the same God create those people wey dey go these schools??

where my papa dey when their father dey hustle??

you must be a p/harcourt kid

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by olushowunm(m): 12:02am On Jul 07, 2014
... And the lecturer 2 making 1.8m p.a, Graduate Assistant is so going to earn about 1.44m p.a. Now lets do the maths and these figures are only for Academic staffers and not yet including Lab techicians, Librarians, Janitors, Security men and others.
If we have 24 profs: we will need to expend 115.20mil on their salaries and allowances, Also the senior Lecturers will earn 172.80mil per annum, the lecturer 1's will also earn 124.80mil while lecturer 2's will earns 43.2mill and G.A will earn 34.65mil. These figures are conservative estimates and can go up than these. Now for those who thought Education is too expensive in those schools, now check their population and try to estimate the revenue and see that sometimes expenditures pass Revenue. And please don't forget that these schools runs on Generators, some of them use upto 3mw capacity which means they will pay about 35million to PHCN/month & still rack up diesel bill of up to 40million because its not cheap to run industrial generators and maintain..

2 Likes

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by olushowunm(m): 12:14am On Jul 07, 2014
.... On a final note, please remember that most of these schools are work in progress and when they don't even make profit, they are forced to bring in funds from outside in the way of donations and endowments like the one happening at Afe Babalola University. At RU and CU, they bring in money from the church to augment the account of the school. CU from my estimates is nothing less than 25billion Naira Investment. So check the fees their students pays and see if they can make it in 25 years while recruiting the best Academics around the world!!!
In retrospect, we can now see reasons why APC states are finding it difficult to fund their state's higher institutions because they have many of these institutions. Like my state (Ogun), we have 6 state's higher institutions and all need funding likewise the Governor needs to do Capital projects from limited allocation & IGR. While states like Akwa Ibom with huge resources only have 1 or 2 to take care of. We can now see the logic behind education financing..

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Surely001(m): 12:34am On Jul 07, 2014
Yungwizzzy28: Nor be the same God create those people wey dey go these schools??

hahahaha...Guy take it easy on the old Man..No be him fault....it's rite frm ur accestors...lols
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Nobody: 12:34am On Jul 07, 2014
It is by the Grace and not by the name of a school. Seek ye first of God's and all shall fall in place. Graduated from uniuyo and in a major oil company. No regrets and above an average naija hustler. Also tertiary education ain't all about academics, "thou must be worthy in 'character' and in learning. Most successful men don't depend on their degrees or better still, didnt have one.
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Nobody: 12:49am On Jul 07, 2014
Nobody said University education is cheap, even secondary school education is not Cheap, but the PROBLEM with Nigeria Universities compared to their foreign counterparts are the Fees compared to the shitty study materials, curriculums and lack of research programs to develop our Students, it has never been known or heard that a Nigeria University was up to standard to carry out a medical research, or do you think it is by using stove in Babcock as a Physics or Chemistry student instead of Bunsen Burners, if they have good study materials and corrupt free educational system, nobody will have any cause to complain about their fees because the students will be getting the benefits of what they paid for.

blink182: you seem to be the only reasonable person here. The level of ignorance is like a knife stab to me. I wonder where Nigerians get the notion from that certain businesses should be run like charities.

Are you people so brainless or just ignorant. Do you know the expense of operating a university. Nigerians should really wake up and stop living in utopia.

Nigerian parents should get it into their brains that university education is not cheap and should open special accounts for their babies where they can save for their baby's university education over a course of more than 10 years.

The federal government should focus on making primary and secondary education free or very cheap and make bearers of waec and ssce results gainfully employable while gradually withdrawing all subventions to focus on other areas of development.

University education is not cheap.
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by mezebel(f): 4:10am On Jul 07, 2014

jst b praying to make a difference
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Alexsmith20(m): 4:50am On Jul 07, 2014

him dey busy dey toast yr mama.
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by yinka500: 5:05am On Jul 07, 2014
The University of Ibadan, Ibadan, hereby requests all candidates who made the University their Institution of choice and scored 200 or above in the 2014 UTME Examination to submit their bio-data and SSCE, WAEC/NECO results ONLINE through http://www.admissions.ui.edu.ng on or before Monday, 21 July, 2014.

For your online registration you can visit us @Delayus shop, opposite UI gate or call or wassup this number:08101352928. Either for regsitartion or any other questions. I wish you best of luck
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by EI(m): 5:22am On Jul 07, 2014
Your fees schedule for American University of Nigeria is all mixed up and wrong (i know because my child is now in her senior/final year there). More like semester than annual fees you have there.

Please get more clarification and edit your post. . .
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by EI(m): 5:39am On Jul 07, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Get this straight....universities are very very expensive.

It is only in Nigeria that we think that universities are like glorified secondary schools, where we sit down and just attend lectures,pass exams and get our paper qualification after four years.

Well, Universities also exist to do research.....and all sorts of research. That means facilities that are far in excess of any secodary school. Universities also exist to train not only undergraduates,but post-grads, and even people in employment. Plus they have hundreds of workers who must be paid at rates comparable to the Federal Universities.....or else they walk...and we haven't even talked about their pensions, or about how much it costs to maintain facilites in said universities.

Plus , universities must provide good housing for their students....and the fact is if a student is not living in good accommodation, he/she won't do well. (I studied in a Federal Univerisity....until my final year before I had a room to myself....for the last two months of my student career. At one point, I was sharing a room with six students).If a student is not well fed., he/she won't do well. And all that costs money.

Plus most of the church run universities can only get some funding for their activities from the parent church. You think that Oyedepo, for example, takes all the tithes and offerings in his church and pours it into Covenant? As if he does not have numerous pastors, church branches, missions, welfare, etc that he has to fund as well. Plus, churches like the Adventists that have parent churches in the West can only get some funding from the Parent church oversea....and not all of it goes into the university....they have hundreds of other obligations.

Let's be honest....university education is expensive. If you want to produce world beater graduates you have to pay for it. No excuses. Add the fact that Govt does not fund private universities....they just give you the land and registration and that's it.....and you see why they have high fees.

100 Likes!
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 07, 2014
eddiebruk: Nobody said University education is cheap, even secondary school education is not Cheap, but the PROBLEM with Nigeria Universities compared to their foreign counterparts are the Fees compared to the shitty study materials, curriculums and lack of research programs to develop our Students, it has never been known or heard that a Nigeria University was up to standard to carry out a medical research, or do you think it is by using stove in Babcock as a Physics or Chemistry student instead of Bunsen Burners, if they have good study materials and corrupt free educational system, nobody will have any cause to complain about their fees because the students will be getting the benefits of what they paid for.

Nobody said what? Please read the comments again. The majority here especially those who want to pay under 50k for fees will rather have stoves in their labs than bunsen burners. They just want to pass through school, have their degrees and be done with it. There is no department in a Nigerian university that can sustain itself-pay academic and non academic staff salaries, upgrade equipment, power the campus. The ignorance is just too much, the so called undergraduates should take calculators and do the maths.

What I do not support as usual is government making a right decision and implementing it to frustrate the public. This increment should have been implemented only to those just gaining admission and not people already in the system. They did not sign up for this. Even before the increment, the campus should have been upgraded to create more value but usually corruption and bureaucracy will ensure the whole exercise is almost brought to waste.

This country has a really long way to go. Parents should start giving birth to children they can take care of and educate not producing 12 kids and hoping government will educate them for you. The model of government taking up huge bills of its people will eventually fail and everyone will be expected to save for retirement.

I was in a government school on Friday and was bewildered at the buildings being used as classrooms. Goats shouldn't even be reared in those buildings. Government will continue to fail in providing social amenities for as long as we continue to have career politicians and in cases where the private sector can intervene, businessmen will come in to provide such service at a premium.

A certain generation is dying off especially those from the Awolowo era who refuse to do the maths and just feel we are entitled to free or cheap education. That era is gone, this is a new economic and political regime. The realities should be put into consideration with people taking their destinies in their own hands and stop depending on a government that can barely afford welfare and is not even interested in taking up such bills.

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by einsteino(m): 7:02am On Jul 07, 2014
tensazangetsu: a third rate US university would cost nothing less than 4 million naira a session I don't even talk of the ivy league quality education isn't cheap

A third rate university would get u a Job that would pay 5x better. Not to talk of d ivy leagues. I have a friend who just finished from m.I.t, he practically had his employment letter before he even graduated.

Meanwhile other countries don't care if u studied in private uni or not, so long as it is in Nigeria, u wud have to do an Msc in their country before u can work there. What's now d advantage? Cos down here, employers would still pay u d same with ur colleagues from cheap public unis

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by einsteino(m): 7:31am On Jul 07, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Get this straight....universities are very very expensive.

You are generalising. I intend pursuing my msc and as a civil engr, I checked up the top engineering schs. I was shocked. Do u kno Germany's tution is 400euros and they have their schools amongst the worlds best meanwhile Babcock and d rest no dey anywhere for ranking? There are many countries where u don't have to bleed to school unlike the u.s and Australia, and they are also amongst the top in d world.

Also tution is dat expensive abroad cos the pay(salary) is also in line, just the same way every other thing like rent is crazy in d u.s. in nigeria very few companies are willing to pay up to 100k as salary I.e a meagre $600. As a matter of fact in most states ur salary won't be more than 60,000naira. Even our profs basic salary is not more than 250k. So after paying all d millions in private uni and u don't get an oil job or stuff like that, the return on ur over priced education is now what?

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by donodion(m): 7:40am On Jul 07, 2014
I stand to be correct...s ABTI not owned by Atiku Abubakar.Former Vice President?
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Segman22(m): 7:57am On Jul 07, 2014
Scratching my head, So you graduate and be looking for a job? With less than half of this you can start a successful business!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 07, 2014
einsteino:

You are generalising. I intend pursuing my msc and as a civil engr, I checked up the top engineering schs. I was shocked. Do u kno Germany's tution is 400euros and they have their schools amongst the worlds best meanwhile Babcock and d rest no dey anywhere for ranking? There are many countries where u don't have to bleed to school unlike the u.s and Australia, and they are also amongst the top in d world.

Germans pay heavy taxes....in addition to the regular tax,they also pay taxes on other things including church tax !(Church members only).

Also Germany has a diverse economy.....an industrial economy.

One other thing about the Germans.....not everyone goes to university. When you finish their equivalent of the Nigerian JSS....you then chose to go to either a higher school or you become a paid apprentice......where you get on the job training and guaranteed employment once you are through.. (Unlike Nigeria where ''everyone'' goes to university )

Also tution is dat expensive abroad cos the pay(salary) is also in line, just the same way every other thing like rent is crazy in d u.s. in nigeria very few companies are willing to pay up to 100k as salary I.e a meagre $600. As a matter of fact in most states ur salary won't be more than 60,000naira. Even our profs basic salary is not more than 250k. So after paying all d millions in private uni and u don't get an oil job or stuff like that, the return on ur over priced education is now what?

Which is why you people must make your state and LGA governor do their jobs to make their states attractive for investors to create jobs.

Plus, the aim of a university degree is not to get an oil job,it is to use the ideas you have learned to solve problems in your community. The problem with you Nigerians is that you think that your university degree is your ticket to an office job. That is not true.....it is your means to solving problems. If an engineer could use scrap metal to makeasimple threshing machine for farmers to use...and sold the idea to investors.....who would then help him with cash to set up......he could make millions and CREATE JOBS.. Even a chemistry student could set up an agric farm, raise chickens,take the eggshells , extract chemicals from the shells and use them to make chalk or animal feed.

Finally, there is no shame in being a technician instead of being a graduate. If we remove subsides from education and use the money saved to train more technical people.....we would be able to plug the scarcity of good technicans in this country. The problem is you people think that technicians are laborers, and beneath you. They are not.....they are the men and women who keep the economy of developed nations ticking. I believe that should university fees go up....due to removal of subsidies keeping the fees low...we should channel them into technical schools....and train more technicians.....because this country has a shortage of them,....and there are jobs galore there.

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by s1(m): 9:24am On Jul 07, 2014
DJMONACO: most xpensive fed uni....oau...75k
75k my foot,you only pay that as a fresh student, when you get to part 2 the school fees ranges from 19700,30 and 33k respectively.
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by seyiraji: 9:45am On Jul 07, 2014
the trend is simple, nigeria has gone capitalist and everyone has to make himself capitalist. think of what you can do productively to earn your dollars as well.

Anyway does anyone know if may/june waec result is out?

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by fistonati(m): 9:47am On Jul 07, 2014
emilo26: Op, we know that private uni are the most expensive in nigeria. But what i will like you to do now, is make a research for us, stating the most expensive state universities and the most expensive federal universities. For there, we will then ascertain the people that are killing education in nigeria.
the pastor's contribution to the society is to fly Plane's and Jet's. Na wah o
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by HARDUBUY(m): 9:48am On Jul 07, 2014
Peppyluv: Lol I didn't attend a private university but I smell envy in your post.
However, I regret going to that shit hole called Uniabuja! I attended a seminar organised by Rotaract in UNN last week and cursed Unibuja the more. Rubbish school angry

No envy attached sis. its just the reality which i've got lots of proof to. Go to UK/US etc. if u have the money....why paying much and getting little quality in 9ja.....Uniabuja? mehn sorry...i dont think its among 1st 15 best.
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by horlabiyi(m): 10:54am On Jul 07, 2014
I pray your unborn kids won't say this too

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 07, 2014
It didn't even make the best list but the worst list!

HARDUBUY:
No envy attached sis. its just the reality which i've got lots of proof to. Go to UK/US etc. if u have the money....why paying much and getting little quality in 9ja.....Uniabuja? mehn sorry...i dont think its among 1st 15 best.
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Skillz02(m): 11:33am On Jul 07, 2014
Pls does this schools offer jobs for their graduates ?

1 Like

Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Emilliw3m(m): 1:45pm On Jul 07, 2014
Tot convenant university for top d list
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by einsteino(m): 4:19pm On Jul 07, 2014
bushdoc9919:

You think we dont pay taxes here too? ask a delta state civil servant how much is deducted as tax. You would be alarmed, it is as high as 40% for some. you talk of creating jobs, even in the U.S 80% of graduates rely on an employer . do you think we went to school because we need a degree to be able to be employers? you dont need a degree for that, bill gates, mark zuckerberg and d rest. you just need tutorship and time to experiment your ideas with some capital(unfortunately, a taught degree has no room for this). creativity doesn't discriminate btw formal or informal education.

Please dont be shy to admit that even if we pay 10million naira per session in public schools, the only thing that will change is our V.C's account balance. Remember all the promises of subsidy removal? have you seen them? this is 9ja. Nigeria doesn't have the economy of U.S, so you cant expect salaries to be on par with that of the U.S. the reason why tution is that crazy abroad isn't just cos of the standard, it is also cos of the economy. Its like expecting the cost of living in ibadan to be the same in Warri , the amount of money in a place tends to inflate everything in that place.

Most canadian universities rank higher than their australian counterparts, yet Australian universities' tution double or tripple those of canada.
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by aminaeke: 4:20pm On Jul 07, 2014
If you r sick and tired of hearing the truth maybe ur hard earned money was also used to build such schools, why not accept the truth and seek for ways to stop the trend. Church goers contribute heavily to build these schools, even the poor widows some sell their belongings to contribute most are compulsory contributions, at the long run their generations will never hv the privillege of attending these schools. The churh is supposed to bring the fee a bit down so the poor masses that their money was used to build can send their children to such schools, instead such schools are built for the greedy politicians, 419neers, etc's children.

feran14: idk... Am just sick of hearing the same line
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by RAPMAN02(m): 5:45pm On Jul 07, 2014
HARDUBUY: Post jamb rejected students are those u find in private skools these dayz..
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by banky53(m): 9:45pm On Jul 07, 2014
is better for me to school oversea
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 07, 2014
angela98: Its pathetic. With all the millions and thousands of naira as school fees. My question is, if they graduate and they get employed how much will they be paid as monthly salary..no matter how rich their parents are the truth is this student must work someday to feel relevant...hmmm na wah! shocked
You're right. The ROI based on salary ain't worth it
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by Sutherland(m): 7:44am On Jul 08, 2014
WHERE IS BAZE UNIVERSITY OR BELLS UNIVERSITY
Re: Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria (2014) by lindee: 10:58am On Jul 08, 2014
i xpected to see caritas university and madonna uni. its xpensive. students who can no longer afford to pay drop out everyday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. / 3 PROGRAMMES FOR DIRECT ENTRY ADMISSION INTO UNAAB/FUNAAB Without Jamb / Nigerian Law School First Class Graduates Reveal Their Secrets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.