Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? (3439 Views)

The Olodo Guide To Paying Tithe / Your Motive For Paying Tithe / Benefits Of Paying Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by Gombs(m): 3:37pm On Jul 08, 2014
nora544:

I dinot hate Nigeria, what I hate is this fake so called great man of God with their jets and their lifestyle what is not christian and also [size=20pt]your pastor chis is one of them why he has to live in south africa so that nobody see how many cars he has.[/size]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by Alwaystrue(f): 4:00pm On Jul 08, 2014
Omexonomy: i disagree with 80% of what you wrote. Abraham tithed from looties and booties to melchizedek. And going by that logic we are to tithe from looties and booties or else God will not bless us
Lol, you are at liberty to pick and chose what you disagree with for I gave lots of instances. It does not change anything. it is simply your opinion which you are entitled to and I respect that.

nora544:
I give my tithe to such an organisation because I know somke kids will have a better futur and that is what it means a good heart not fill the pocket of this fake pastors from this new churches, who like to have their own jet, and that is not like a real christian should be.
You are free to give your tithe to who you want to. I have enough givings I do to other organisations and people and this in no way disturbs giving my tithe in church. It really is a free world you know. Seems you don't even give offerings...lol.

Gombs:
Standing ovation
Gombs, you this guy. Lolz. Thanks. It is simplified enough.
Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jul 08, 2014
daveP: pls stay in line with the topic,its nt whether its been overdone and taken advantage of,no its 'is it still valid?'--it is.now we can all agree God owns everything.but il like to ask you:- why do Christian jews still tithe. 2) why do they still teach it to their kids(those in Judaism still do,nt to talk of christian jews) 3) the fact that its baseline is appreciation to God is still valid.if in the millenium it is very much compulsory.why do we consider it oldfashioned(and the reasons we give are:- cos ministers live on it,and are made fat cos of it.nothing more)
Demos shakarian(an amenian jew) and Richard Wurmbrand(a jew likewise) all gave good reasons why tithing is very right for any christian.the fact that minister ride on such,and YET,THE GIVERS are still seeing signs,blessings out of it is quite enough( abeg who no want blessing!) thank you

It is not a question of it being over done. It should not be done at all. Tithing is invalid according to the scriptures. It is erroneous for you to equate the grace of giving with tithe.

2 Peter 1:20-21: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost. KJV

There are several biblical injunctions against tithing as it is practiced today especially in Nigeria. I do not have to enumerate all.

Come, Let Us Reason Together ( Isaiah 1:18 ):

Look at Second Corinthians 8 and 9: (1) Giving is a "grace.” These chapters use the Greek word for "grace" eight times in reference to helping needy saints. (2) Give yourself to God first (8:5). (3) Give yourself to knowing God’s will (8:5). (4) Give in response to Christ’s gift (8:9; 9:15). (5) Give out of a sincere desire (8:8, 10, 12; 9:7). (6) Do not give because of any commandment (8:8, 10; 9:7). (7)

Give beyond your ability (8:3, 11-12). 8 Give to produce equality. This means that those who have more should give more in order to make up for the inability of those who cannot afford to give as much (8:12-14).

(9) Give joyfully (8:2). (10) Give because you are growing spiritually (8:3-4, 7). (11) Give because you want to continue growing spiritually (9:8, 10-11). (12) Give because you are hearing the gospel preached (9:13).

Compare Exodus 19:5-6 with First Peter 2: 9-10. Before the incident of the golden calves, God had intended for every Israelite to become a priest and tithing would have never been enacted. Priests did not tithe but received one tenth of the first tithe (Num 18:26-28; Neh 10:37, 38).

The function and purpose of Old Covenant priests were replaced, not by elders and pastors, but by the priesthood of every believer. Like other ordinances of the Law, tithing was only a temporary shadow until Christ (Eph 2:14-16; Col 2:13-17; Heb 7:18; 10:1).

In the New Covenant every believer is a priest to God (1 Pet 2:9-10; Rev 1:6; 5:10). And, as a priest, every believer offers sacrifices to God (Heb 4:16; 10:19-22; 13:15, 16).

Therefore, every ordinance which had previously applied to the old priesthood was blotted out at the cross. Since Jesus was not from the tribe of Levi, even He was disqualified. Thus the original temporary purpose of tithing no longer exists (Heb 7:12-19; Gal 3:19, 24-25; 2 Cor 3:10-18).

For me, it comes down to 2 Corinthians 9:7 "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

What 2 Corinthians 9:7 says to me is: "what he has decided" (it is MY decision what to give), "in his heart" (I am to follow the leading of MY heart), "not reluctantly" (what I give must feel right), "or under compulsion" (no one can make me give) and "God loves a cheerful giver" (God wants me to give what I feel GOOD about giving).

Giving is a universal concept. You don't even have to be a Christian to understand the value of giving. In fact, atheists Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have given almost everything they have to the world. They are under no illusions or compulsion to give. It simply comes from their hearts to give unlike many Christians who feel that once they give their 10%, they will prosper.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by nora544: 5:59pm On Jul 08, 2014
omonuan:

It is not a question of it being over done. It should not be done at all. Tithing is invalid according to the scriptures. It is erroneous for you to equate the grace of giving with tithe.

2 Peter 1:20-21: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost. KJV

There are several biblical injunctions against tithing as it is practiced today especially in Nigeria. I do not have to enumerate all.

Come, Let Us Reason Together ( Isaiah 1:18 ):

Look at Second Corinthians 8 and 9: (1) Giving is a "grace.” These chapters use the Greek word for "grace" eight times in reference to helping needy saints. (2) Give yourself to God first (8:5). (3) Give yourself to knowing God’s will (8:5). (4) Give in response to Christ’s gift (8:9; 9:15). (5) Give out of a sincere desire (8:8, 10, 12; 9:7). (6) Do not give because of any commandment (8:8, 10; 9:7). (7)

Give beyond your ability (8:3, 11-12). 8 Give to produce equality. This means that those who have more should give more in order to make up for the inability of those who cannot afford to give as much (8:12-14).

(9) Give joyfully (8:2). (10) Give because you are growing spiritually (8:3-4, 7). (11) Give because you want to continue growing spiritually (9:8, 10-11). (12) Give because you are hearing the gospel preached (9:13).

Compare Exodus 19:5-6 with First Peter 2: 9-10. Before the incident of the golden calves, God had intended for every Israelite to become a priest and tithing would have never been enacted. Priests did not tithe but received one tenth of the first tithe (Num 18:26-28; Neh 10:37, 38).

The function and purpose of Old Covenant priests were replaced, not by elders and pastors, but by the priesthood of every believer. Like other ordinances of the Law, tithing was only a temporary shadow until Christ (Eph 2:14-16; Col 2:13-17; Heb 7:18; 10:1).

In the New Covenant every believer is a priest to God (1 Pet 2:9-10; Rev 1:6; 5:10). And, as a priest, every believer offers sacrifices to God (Heb 4:16; 10:19-22; 13:15, 16).

Therefore, every ordinance which had previously applied to the old priesthood was blotted out at the cross. Since Jesus was not from the tribe of Levi, even He was disqualified. Thus the original temporary purpose of tithing no longer exists (Heb 7:12-19; Gal 3:19, 24-25; 2 Cor 3:10-18).

For me, it comes down to 2 Corinthians 9:7 "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

What 2 Corinthians 9:7 says to me is: "what he has decided" (it is MY decision what to give), "in his heart" (I am to follow the leading of MY heart), "not reluctantly" (what I give must feel right), "or under compulsion" (no one can make me give) and "God loves a cheerful giver" (God wants me to give what I feel GOOD about giving).

Giving is a universal concept. You don't even have to be a Christian to understand the value of giving. In fact, atheists Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have given almost everything they have to the world. They are under no illusions or compulsion to give. It simply comes from their hearts to give unlike many Christians who feel that once they give their 10%, they will prosper.

Giving is not always money it could also be your time for charity work, helping others that is also what it means to be a christian.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by Gombs(m): 6:39pm On Jul 08, 2014
nora544:

Giving is not always money it could also be your time for charity work, helping others that is also what it means to be a christian.

you seem to have a problem with MONEY & NIGERIAN PASTORS AND CHURCHES grin grin grin

WHY?
Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by nora544: 6:44pm On Jul 08, 2014
Gombs:

you seem to have a problem with MONEY & NIGERIAN PASTORS AND CHURCHES grin grin grin

WHY?

because that is not like a real christian should be!!!!!!!!!!!!

christianity is a business in nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!

your Passtors learn this from this pastors in America but it hearts me that Pastors take in the name of God money from their poor followers to enrich themself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by Weah96: 6:57pm On Jul 08, 2014
Gombs:

WHY?

Because what you call a church here is eerily similar to the business model of the average pyramid scheme venture. You do know what a pyramid looks like, don't you? Only one can stand at the precipice. HINT: It is not the imaginary deity.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by brilapluz(m): 7:18pm On Jul 08, 2014
Weah96: Tithing is an attempt to purchase favor from God by giving cash money to some guy who claims to have his phone number.
cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by alexleo(m): 8:47pm On Jul 08, 2014
PastorKun:

The tithe ordinance has been done away with and as a christian you are not supposed to tithe even though a lot of churches preach tithing for their selfish reasons. To you as a believer there is absolutely no benefit in paying tithes. That said, I would still encourage you to give generously as you purpose in your heart to your church and the less priviledge around you.

@OP,
If you are led to give tithe pls give. Dont swallow what he said here about tithe. You can also give offering as you are led. Thanks.
Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by alexleo(m): 8:49pm On Jul 08, 2014
nora544:

I agree
Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by alexleo(m): 8:54pm On Jul 08, 2014
kuss: Op, you have nothing to lose by paying your tithe
one thing i ve come to realize is that you can not outgive God
I pay my tithe and give offering regularly and I ve never lacked
if people in my office we earn the same salary borrow from me
don't be deceived by anyone
follow your heart pay your tithe what 90% can not do even 100% cannot do it

Succint wink
Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by FortresOfChrist(f): 10:46pm On Jul 08, 2014
Alwaystrue:

@OP,

Tithing is thanking God for His goodness in your life as you dedicate a portion of your increase in obedience to His command.

Everywhere you see in scripture on tithing, God would have blessed or increased them before people even bring of it to Him. Every giving is accepted by man even if it is given to God. Your alms, offerings, donations etc are all received through man but the heart is the key thing.

I agree with the heart of giving but does the bible tell the giver who gives from the heart a specific percentage in order for such giving to be acceptable?

b. Where in the bible (book, chapter and verse) does God say tithing is thanking to him for his goodness in your life? Whenever you say such statement, it should be established on the word not on guess. please provide references where tithing is thanking God for his goodness.

Alwaystrue:

1. Abraham gave tithes and in the next chapter God appeared to him, after those things, reaffirming his blessings and security. This was a man who wasn't even commanded but had it written in His heart to appreciate and honour God and His servant. In conjunction with the work of his hands and other obedience to God, he kept on being blessed. Genesis 15.

Are you trying to say that God appearing to Abram was because of or as a result of he tithe in Genesis 14? Hhow do you then reconcile Abraham being rich in cattle, silver and Gold before he tithe in Genesis 13? Bear in mind, silver, Gold and cattle are not the blessings of Abraham (which was inherited in those who are of faith) but they are evidence of the already blessed Abraham. There's dignity on labour and God will always bless a working hand and head, not someone tithing just to be blessed.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by Alwaystrue(f): 11:48pm On Jul 08, 2014
FortresOfChrist:
I agree with the heart of giving but does the bible tell the giver who gives from the heart a specific percentage in order for such giving to be acceptable?
b. Where in the bible (book, chapter and verse) does God say tithing is thanking to him for his goodness in your life? Whenever you say such statement, it should be established on the word not on guess. please provide references where tithing is thanking God for his goodness.
Are you trying to say that God appearing to Abram was because of or as a result of he tithe in Genesis 14? Hhow do you then reconcile Abraham being rich in cattle, silver and Gold before he tithe in Genesis 13? Bear in mind, silver, Gold and cattle are not the blessings of Abraham (which was inherited in those who are of faith) but they are evidence of the already blessed Abraham. There's dignity on labour and God will always bless a working hand and head, not someone tithing just to be blessed.
Spend time to read what you quoted from my post and how you decided to ask questions.
1. Where did I say only a certain percentage is acceptable? Seems you decided to overlook where I spoke about giving all? Lol. Jesus spoke about measures, Paul spoke about sparing or abundant giving anyway yet he said give as you purpose. Each giving has its purpose. You can purpose to give tithe or not. God loves a cheerful giver.

2. Did I say God SAID giving tithe is appreciating Him? Your questions are really funny.
Did Abraham give tithe to be blessed or in honour and appreciation in Genesis 14 & Heb. 7. No i am not insinuating, i am stating that in the next chapter, Genesis 15 said AFTER THESE THINGS....God came to reaffirm His blessing an protection to Abraham...you may draw your own conclusion from there, I draw mine. Abraham was blessed before he tithed ( Melchizedek even blessed him and gave him bread and wine) and was exceedingly blessed and God kept blessing him.

Tithe is a tenth of increase dedicated to God... alms are not defined or offerings. Jesus said GIVE. Simple. The measure you give you receive, Jesus said so, Apostle Paul reiterated this. No one says you should not give 1% if you so wish or 100%.
However, they are not tithe. Tithe of all is not the same as All or 1%.

Your last statement I said In the original post you cut my words from.
Alwaystrue:
In conjunction with the work of his hands and other obedience to God, he kept on being blessed. Genesis 15.

Now those blessings are poured on something,  you don't give and fold your hands and that is with respect to any format of giving anyway.  God blesses more and more our work and brings great abundance our way.

What does God bless?  Belief, obedience and a right heart. 

God bless.

Please read and understand my post in full next time. It is clear.
Thanks.
Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by emmyileri(m): 9:20pm On Mar 21, 2022
Re: What Are The Benefits Of Paying Tithe? by Kobojunkie: 3:53am On Mar 22, 2022
lalasticlalaa:
I was in church today at my branch of Redeem Christian Church of God.and the sermon touched me.
I haven't been paying my tithe since although I don't really earn much.
But the sermon centred on giving.
So I have made up my mind to start paying my tithe complete from next Sunday.

So I want nairalanders to please tell me the benefits of tithing.
Thanks.
Anyone who claims to believe in Jesus Christ yet pays tithe according to God's Old Covenant Law which God gave only to those who have the blood of Jacob coursing through their veins, not only sins against God but heaps curses upon himself by that act. Be warned.... no one who tithes pretending to do it is the name of Jesus Christ has any part of His Kingdom - that which is against God can't have a part in God.. undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Secret Behind Healing Miracles- The Name Of Jesus! / On The Prophesy Of The Virgin Birth Of Jesus, Part 2: / Pator Kun , Bookmark And Ijawkid, Let Us Discuss The Pre-existence Of JESUS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.