Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? (15131 Views)

You've Been Throwing Out The Healthiest Part Of Avocados Your Entire Life / Whats The Healthiest Nigerian Food ? / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:45pm On May 14, 2009
yea if you actually rub it in your eyes tongue
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by ThoniaSlim(f): 5:46pm On May 14, 2009
lol. . .but seriously what makes it unhealthy?
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:57pm On May 14, 2009
It's high in saturated fat just like coconut oil which is why it easily becomes solid like at times.

It has it's advantages with some vit A and E, but still better off with olive oil.
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by ThoniaSlim(f): 6:37pm On May 14, 2009
hmmm. . .ok. . . thnx. . .
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by biina: 11:45pm On May 14, 2009
olive
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by Ejadamen(f): 4:50pm On May 16, 2009
Most people are for olive here but i heard that it is high in calories. This was given as the reason why only little quantity is used in cooking. I always wondered why in cook books you see 3 tablespoons of olive oil and when i read the reason above i thought it made sense. So is this true? Or can one use olive oil in any quantity one likes?
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:18pm On May 16, 2009
so because olive oil is healthier, people should use a gallon to cook?

In case you arent aware despite being healthier, it's still oil which has fat. It just has less than the others.
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by MrCrackles(m): 8:20pm On May 16, 2009
Strictly olive oil for me!
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by Badriyyah(f): 8:43pm On May 16, 2009
Olive oil!!!
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by Redman44(m): 11:32am On May 23, 2009
Sunflower oil or Soya oil does it for me. Cheers.
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by agabaI23(m): 11:37am On May 23, 2009
Ever heard of Grand oil? It is Cholesterol free in Naija. There is another brand whose name I have forgotten.

But the problem is when most you do African Dishes, You still go ahead to bleach the oil even if it is cholesterol free.

When it is bleached (changes colour), the free unsaturaturated fatty acids are coverted to saturates and cholesterol.
This defeats the aim of brand.

So all those too much fry fry no good.

Where I am now, I use sunflower. I just make sure I do not heat it it much and still the taste is still superb wink
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by bblacky(f): 11:54am On May 23, 2009
hmmmmmmmmmm, where palm oil go sef, undecided wink

well i b all weather, whch eva wen ever, no yawa na make i just prepare somtin wey belle go chop, lol
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by agabaI23(m): 12:19pm On May 23, 2009
bblacky:

hmmmmmmmmmm, where palm oil go sef, undecided wink

well i b all weather, whch eva wen ever, no yawa na make i just prepare somtin wey belle go chop, lol
Fresh palm oil wee never oxidize get 50:50 FFA vs Cholesterol, though it may vary depending on the region where it was cultivated.

When it begins to deteriorate, it could be worse than re-using heated oil for another frying.
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by bblacky(f): 1:10pm On May 23, 2009
agabaI23:

Fresh palm oil wee never oxidize get 50:50 FFA vs Cholesterol, though it may vary depending on the region where it was cultivated.

When it begins to deteriorate, it could be worse than re-using heated oil for another frying.
reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, wink
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by agabaI23(m): 1:19pm On May 23, 2009
bblacky:

reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, wink
yap cheesy
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by Theblessed(f): 4:24pm On May 23, 2009
Please for health sake, forget about brand names and labels.

O L I V E    O I L,    O L I V E    O I L  is the name (either Virgin or Extra-Virgin type) is what you need however, use it sparingly in your cooking and not too much as each tablespoon can have high fat content: e.g the Mono-unsaturate content is about 11g in one tablespoonful and that's quite alot of fat to consider when cooking. 1-2 tablespoon in my view would do if you're cooking for yourself but for the family adjust accordingly.  All other cooking oils have higher Mono contents than olive oil hence the healthiest.   

In the year 2000, I made a conscious decision never to cook with any other oil but Olive and have not regretted it.  I have been cooking with extra virgin olive oil ever since though expensive, I love it for its taste, aroma, texture and of course the health promotion aspect of it.  In my view, better than any other oil commonly available in the market today.

Good luck!
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by yankidelta(m): 4:54pm On May 23, 2009
well guess we all know olive oil is about the best but the truth's dat most of us may find out dat we are not in a postion to really monitor the oil we use for cooking cos we eat in joints,bukkas e.t.c, that definitely leaves ur health at the mercy of others, abi?
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by amy120705(f): 7:20pm On May 23, 2009
olive oil 4 sum fings extra virgin olive oil 4 others
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by minute(f): 7:51pm On May 23, 2009
Monounsaturated oils are the best,and include,olive,canola and rapeseed oils.
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by oneluvb55(f): 8:15pm On May 23, 2009
Leisure oil is de best.
no cholesterol.
i dont even know about that of olive oil. think its only for rubbing and used as prescribed by pastors.
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by agabaI23(m): 8:47pm On May 23, 2009
leisure is the one I forgot

Leisure and grand for peeps in naija
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by WAVixen: 9:03pm On May 23, 2009
I also wondered where Leisure vanished to,i guess gino,kings, turkey have taken over the market.
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by ciscostaz: 9:19pm On May 23, 2009
kwuli kwuli oil is the best.
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by shesi(m): 9:30pm On May 23, 2009
there is nothing extremely healthy about olive oil. olive oil became olive oil because of its taste and smell. not because of any health benefits.

as far as health goes, canola oil the best. and i think when it comes to oils, low colestrol and HDLs should your only concern. What good is a fantastic eyesight if your heart is no longer beating.

I personally go with the cheapest canola oil i can find. i've always been cheap.
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by Makavelis(m): 11:34pm On May 23, 2009
koko oil is d best don't trip lol
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by TOYOSI20(f): 12:18am On May 24, 2009
Makavelis:

koko oil is d best don't trip lol

errr. . .ewww?? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

U cant go wrong wid olive oil!! kiss kiss
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:48am On May 24, 2009
Whatever was wrong with the good ol' groundnut oil??

Olive oil has an annoying taste and smell so its definitely a no, no.

Bleached palm oil also works. undecided
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by TOYOSI20(f): 1:00am On May 24, 2009
Okija_juju:

Whatever was wrong with the good ol' groundnut oil??

Olive oil has an annoying taste and smell so its definitely a no, no.

Bleached palm oil also works. undecided

good luck to u and clogging up ur arteries oo, LOL!! shocked shockedgrin
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by Outstrip(f): 5:56am On May 24, 2009
grapeseed oil actually reduces cholesterol
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by romeo(m): 11:04am On May 24, 2009
Which kind Olive Oil everywhere be dis? make our Naija people no hear say una dey take that "Holy" Oil dey cook food because God go punish all of una for using Daddy GO's prefered holy tool for your jollof rice. Hisses a long one cheesy

Olive oil is not expensive here. Though i hate the extra virgen for that wierd taste, but i love the soft taste of normal olive oil.
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by agabaI23(m): 12:57pm On May 24, 2009
shesi:

there is nothing extremely healthy about olive oil. olive oil became olive oil because of its taste and smell. not because of any health benefits.

as far as health goes, canola oil the best. and i think when it comes to oils, low colestrol and HDLs should your only concern. What good is a fantastic eyesight if your heart is no longer beating.

I personally go with the cheapest canola oil i can find. i've always been cheap.

I believe you mean high density lipoprotein here . . .lol
HDL in oil?
Re: What Is The Healthiest Cooking Oil You Use? by shesi(m): 6:04pm On May 24, 2009
yes. what i meant was, there's been quite a few studies linking canola oil to an increase in HDLs. Olive oil on the other hand has been implicated in LDL increases. anyway i'm not a nutrionist so i don't know the latest.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Recipe For Ofada Rice / Ways To Catch A Chicken / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Fish Roll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.