Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,529 members, 7,826,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. - Foreign Affairs (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. (45450 Views)

Lebanon Arrests Vulture Accused Of Spying For Isreal. (pic) / Israel And Palestine Agree Gaza Ceasefire / BREAKING! UK Minister Resigns Over Gaza Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by BlackBaron: 12:45am On Jul 25, 2014
Both sides are to blame.

Hamas for launching guerilla rocket attacks from within their civilian populations and Israel for hitting back with excessively punitive actions against the civil populace.

Sadly war in this current era has moved off open fields into bedrooms, hospitals and classrooms.

Israeli actions in this conflict has been far too punishing and constitutes war crimes. Hamas too is a terrorist organisation that deserves to have its cadres down to the last man wrung to death.
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 2:37am On Jul 25, 2014
voltron:

Classic @davidylan BH is not your worry cos you do not live here. Disassociation eh? Always gettin in that last kick to the shins. Lol PC types

Why should i care about BH? Its your business to worry.
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 25, 2014
davidylan:

Why should i care about BH? Its your business to worry.

Lol.
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 26, 2014
BlackBaron: Both sides are to blame.

Hamas for launching guerilla rocket attacks from within their civilian populations and Israel for hitting back with excessively punitive actions against the civil populace.

Sadly war in this current era has moved off open fields into bedrooms, hospitals and classrooms.

Israeli actions in this conflict has been far too punishing and constitutes war crimes. Hamas too is a terrorist organisation that deserves to have its cadres down to the last man wrung to death.

this irresponsible waving of the moral equivalency flag has to be the funniest thing i have to deal with when it comes to this conflict. It took 2 atomic bombs and hundreds of thousands of innocent japanese to end the Japanese involvement in world war II. So "both sides are now to blame" for WWII? Ridiculous.

and what exactly is the meaning of the term "excessively punitive" that is only used when Israel, and no other nation, is at war?

1 Like

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:34pm On Jul 26, 2014
Sometimes I wonder if civil discussions are ever possible on Nairaland.
Between a Rock and a Hard Place -

It really does not matter at this point what the history is that brought isreal and its arab neighbours together. As far as this present escalation is concerned, the real question here is
WHAT SHOULD ISREAL DO?

On the surface so many things look unfair, Hamas seems to be the ones who have no moral boundaries. Its ok for Hamas to shoot rockets into isreal, its ok for Hamas to "Intentionally" target civillian populace with rockets. Isreal has every right to protect itself.

I dunno who is a lot more cruel here, the fighter Firing rockets from his backyard knowing fully well that it would be traced and his house brought down or the one that even has the patience to place a phone call to a house and say hey guys you have to leave now before we bring that house down.

Or maybe isreal should have sent peace envoys to go plead with the Palestinians to stop the rocket fire.

800 people Vs 36
I wonder which side should wave the flag first.

1 Like

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by BlackBaron: 12:00am On Jul 27, 2014
davidylan: ...
Your argument is ignoring the context.
Israel does have a right to defend itself against aggressors, but the current onslaught has come at a very heavy price for the civilians in between. Entire families and children wiped out was surely not the goal of this campaign.

I'm all for seeing the end of Hamas but not by incurring significant civilian casualties.
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 1:27am On Jul 27, 2014
BlackBaron:
Israel does have a right to defend itself against aggressors, but the current onslaught has come at a very heavy price for the civilians in between. Entire families and children wiped out was surely not the goal of this campaign.

I'm all for seeing the end of Hamas but not by incurring significant civilian casualties.

Israel is not targeting civilians directly. So what's the point?
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 1:28am On Jul 27, 2014
I am at loss why some folks are demonizing Israel for what essentially is the survival of the fittest.

1 Like

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by BlackBaron: 8:24am On Jul 27, 2014
ProfCorruption:
No one said Israel is 'targeting civilians ' directly. The consensus here is that the collateral damage is too much.

What is hard to grasp about that?
I can't help anyone's bias if they choose to continue looking at this with coloured lenses
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 8:49am On Jul 27, 2014
BlackBaron:

Well what would you have Israel do? WWII required the destruction of entire countries... two atomic bombs that killed more than 200,000 innocent civilians was needed to stop Japan during WWII... war is war. I do not buy this false sympathy for entire families and children that seems to exist only when Israel has to defend itself.

1 Like

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 27, 2014
BlackBaron: No one said Israel is 'targeting civilians ' directly. The consensus here is that the collateral damage is too much.

I can't help anyone's bias if they choose to continue looking at this with coloured lenses

who gets to determine what is the appropriate level of "collateral damage" during a war? Armchair noisemakers who sit comfortable in the fact that should anyone threaten their own safety, they would expect their country to robustly defend them... a right they seek to deny Israel.

1 Like

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by pesty100(m): 9:35am On Jul 27, 2014
Click on my signature to earn free airtime
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by BlackBaron: 3:33pm On Jul 27, 2014
davidylan:
Well what would you have Israel do? WWII required the destruction of entire countries... two atomic bombs that killed more than 200,000 innocent civilians was needed to stop Japan during WWII... war is war. I do not buy this false sympathy for entire families and children that seems to exist only when Israel has to defend itself.
Take your head out of your asss please!
So in other words, to eliminate BH we'll have to employ a scorched earth policy. Oh, yh...let's just nuke the northern population then...?

Israel has the iron dome to protect her civilian population. The Palestinian population is helpless between Hamas terrorists and Israeli army onslaught.

My buck stops here. Horses for courses like I always say.
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 27, 2014
BlackBaron: No one said Israel is 'targeting civilians ' directly. The consensus here is that the collateral damage is too much.

Consensus from ?? Go on and be preaching morality in the midst of a devastating war. Whoever blames both sides, like yourself, I presume is looking at this conflict with plain lenses?
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 27, 2014
BlackBaron:
So in other words, to eliminate BH we'll have to employ a scorched earth policy. Oh, yh...let's just nuke the northern population then...?

Israel has the iron dome to protect her civilian population. The Palestinian population is helpless between Hamas terrorists and Israeli army onslaught.

this is a thoughtlessly daft response. I note that at no point in your entire diatribe do you actually answer my first question - what would you have Israel do? No one is asking for a scorched earth policy, however, this pitifully false concern for "innocent women and children" ONLY when Israel is at war to defend itself from armchair jingoists like you is the problem. War is war... unfortunately some of the innocent will die, it is the price that the population has to pay for consistently electing a government which has as its supreme goal, the destruction of Israel.

Your own words betray you... the fact that Israel has built the iron dome to protect its citizens should tell you a few things:
1. Israel actually cares for its citizens, hamas on the other hand could care less. They would rather shoot rockets from mosques, schools and hospitals... knowing full well that Israel will target those spots in retaliation... thus leaving their own "innocents" in harms way. It is a deliberate tactic that works time and time again to get ignorant folks like you frothing in faux outrage.

2. Israel is the only nation on earth that has had to devote a substantial part of its budget to building a rocket defense system. As i keep saying, if Mexico were sending 200 rockets to california on a daily basis, do you think you and i would be sitting here debating the number of dead innocent mexican children?

Lastly... while no one is advocating a scorched earth policy, there are times in war when that is the last option. No one wailed about innocent women and children when it came time to bomb Berlin to submission during WWII. Over a million innocent people died so the world might have peace... i am grateful for men and women of that time who realized that in order to secure peace, some heavy sacrifices have to be paid, and in blood.
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 27, 2014
BlackBaron:

Israel has the iron dome to protect her civilian population. [b]The Palestinian population is helpless between Hamas terrorists [/b]and Israeli army onslaught.

that is a false claim. The palestinian population could start by voting out hamas extremists and insisting on a government that is not willing to shoot 4000 rockets at INNOCENT Israeli children too. I laugh in derision when i hear people like you whine about dead palestinian children when israeli children go to school in bomb shelters and have to learn right from an early age how to understand rocket warning sirens. Your own children have the luxury of walking around their neighbourhood in relative safety... thanks to western governments that spare no lives making sure they eliminate any threat to their very existence. Israel also deserves that right.
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by raumdeuter: 8:34pm On Jul 27, 2014
In all of these I support Israel.

When Hamas decides in its charter that Israel has no right to live then you live the Israelis with no option

If Hamas wants war they should take their rockets out of civilian areas and confront the IDF frontally
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Sagamite(m): 10:37am On Jul 31, 2014
BlackBaron: Both sides are to blame.

Thank you.

A bit of correction: Israel blatantly murders innocent civilian populace. Its actions are that of any similar terrorist organisation. It is a Terrorist State!

2 Likes

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Sagamite(m): 11:15am On Jul 31, 2014
Chrisbenogor: Sometimes I wonder if civil discussions are ever possible on Nairaland.
Between a Rock and a Hard Place -

It really does not matter at this point what the history is that brought Israel and its arab neighbours together. As far as this present escalation is concerned, the real question here is
WHAT SHOULD ISREAL DO?

On the surface so many things look unfair, Hamas seems to be the ones who have no moral boundaries. Its ok for Hamas to shoot rockets into isreal, its ok for Hamas to "Intentionally" target civillian populace with rockets. Isreal has every right to protect itself.

I dunno who is a lot more cruel here, the fighter Firing rockets from his backyard knowing fully well that it would be traced and his house brought down or the one that even has the patience to place a phone call to a house and say hey guys you have to leave now before we bring that house down.

Or maybe isreal should have sent peace envoys to go plead with the Palestinians to stop the rocket fire.

800 people Vs 36
I wonder which side should wave the flag first.

When Israel targeted 4 pre-teens little boys on the beach with aerial bombing, that was not intentional targeting of civilians? When they missed with the first bomb and the little unarmed boys were running with their little legs for their lives and Israel sent a second bomb to finish the job because they dared play football on the beach, that is not intentional targeting of civilians?

When Israeli snipers targeted a teenager running from bombings with his mum and shot him in the legs, that was not intentional targeting of civilians? While his mother was wailing and perambulating on the spot in horror for it to stop and the sniper kept shooting at the boy, it was not intentional targeting of civilians?

When Israeli snipers shot an unarmed, skinny guy going to look for his family in a rumble who had just been blown into shreds in their beds to see if anyone survived, that was not intentional targeting of civilians? When this unarmed guy was on the floor wounded and the sniper shot him again in the belly, that was not intentional targeting of civilians? When the sniper then put the last bullet in his head, that was not intentional targeting of civilians?

Israel has killed more than 1000 civilians out of the over 1300 it has killed and Hamas has killed 2 civilians and 53 soldiers, and you think it is only Hamas that is intentionally targeting civilians?

So it is OK for Israel to kill civilians?

When Israelis are on the streets of Tel Aviv singing joyfully "There are no more schools in Gaza because all the children are dead", you think many don't know their crimes?

You honestly believe Hamas fighters are reetarded enough to be firing from their own homes?

3 Likes

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Sagamite(m): 11:16am On Jul 31, 2014
ProfCorruption:

Amsorry?

Repeat your statement.

3 Likes

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Sagamite(m): 11:20am On Jul 31, 2014
davidylan:

There you go again with useless comparisons.

- Old era vs new era.

- State & State vs State & Civilians.

Defend itself against what?

The stealing of another person's land while breaking all international declarations?

1 Like

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Sagamite(m): 11:22am On Jul 31, 2014
BlackBaron:

Thank you.

To him, as long as it is Muslims that are dying, it is cool.

1 Like

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Sagamite(m): 11:23am On Jul 31, 2014
ProfCorruption:

Consensus from ?? Go on and be preaching morality in the midst of a devastating war. Whoever blames both sides, like yourself, I presume is looking at this conflict with plain lenses?

If you are not going to blame both sides, which side should you blame?

The one that is oppressed, slaughtered and has its lands taken?

3 Likes

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:24pm On Jul 31, 2014
Sagamite:

When Israel targeted 4 pre-teens little boys on the beach with aerial bombing, that was not intentional targeting of civilians? When they missed with the first bomb and the little unarmed boys were running with their little legs for their lives and Israel sent a second bomb to finish the job because they dared play football on the beach, that is not intentional targeting of civilians?

When Israeli snipers targeted a teenager running from bombings with his mum and shot him in the legs, that was not intentional targeting of civilians? While his mother was wailing and perambulating on the spot in horror for it to stop and the sniper kept shooting at the boy, it was not intentional targeting of civilians?

When Israeli snipers shot an unarmed, skinny guy going to look for his family in a rumble who had just been blown into shreds in their beds to see if anyone survived, that was not intentional targeting of civilians? When this unarmed guy was on the floor wounded and the sniper shot him again in the belly, that was not intentional targeting of civilians? When the sniper then put the last bullet in his head, that was not intentional targeting of civilians?

Israel has killed more than 1000 civilians out of the over 1300 it has killed and Hamas has killed 2 civilians and 53 soldiers, and you think it is only Hamas that is intentionally targeting civilians?

When Israelis are on the streets of Tel Aviv singing joyfully "There are no more schools in Gaza because all the children are dead", you think many don't know their crimes?

You honestly believe Hamas fighters are reetarded enough to be firing from their own homes?
Saga how body,
Let me start by saying war is not pretty.

If there is any side of this country losing the PR war it has got to be Isreal, this is why I it is hard for me to make some sense of saying something like intentionally targeting teens on a beach. If the Isreali policy is to kill palestinian civilians and in three weeks they have only managed to kill under 1,500 people then that policy is failing. Same cannot however be said of Hamas, lets take a look at an article in hamas charter (http://fas.org/irp/world/para/docs/880818a.htm).

'The Day of Judgment will not come about until Moslems fight Jews and

kill them. Then, the Jews will hide behind rocks and trees, and the

rocks and trees will cry out: 'O Moslem, there is a Jew hiding behind

me, come and kill him.' (Article 7)

I think the charter speaks a lot for itself, Hamas has come out to say it is a piece of history however it cannot change it. Hamas leaders would take an oath to this document, this is policy in black and white.

Does it happen that an isreali soldier would go bersek and shoot an innocent Palestinian yes it does, does it happen that a missile mistakenly hits where it is not supposed to hit yes it does. We can catalogue all of Isreal's mistakes in all this, they should take responsibility for that. However Saga even you should agree that it is stretching the truth to say that Isreali policy on Palestine is to kill innocent citizens when the opportunity presents itself.

Now to the numbers, I concede that there is no way to look at those disproportionate numbers and not be appalled by the civilian death toll so far. Gaza is a densely populated area, urban warfare is bound to claim a lot of civilians. It is sad but it is also the truth, hamas however has not helped this fight by its practices. Hamas has shot rockets from residential areas, from schools, beside hospitals, mosques. While it is certainly wrong to bomb a shelter full of refugees to get to hamas, can we really pause and think of how despicable anyone who will store and fire rockets inside a house where his 5 month old baby lives? What else am I supposed to think except that they do it so that when Isreal returns fire, they can show videos to the world and win the battle on the only front they can which is the media. That is what the lives of their loved is worth to them. Even the UN has come out to say that Hamas not once in this conflict has compromised a combat zone by storing weapons at UN schools. SO yes unless one is totally biased there is no way you can look at this conflict and say Hamas has not been using human shields.

I know previously you have failed to take a stand on this issue, but maybe you really should. It is easy for anyone to look at the conflict and say hey the civilian death toll is too high. But really what do you think both sides should do? If you were prime minister today of Isreal what would you do? If you were the leader of Hamas what would you do? And finally if you were to broker peace between both sides what would be your approach?
Those three positions would have different approaches, but I am hard pressed for any alternative for Isreal other than pressing on with what they are doing now.
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 31, 2014
Sagamite:

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Sagamite(m): 6:38pm On Jul 31, 2014
Chrisbenogor:
Saga how body,
Let me start by saying war is not pretty.

If there is any side of this country losing the PR war it has got to be Isreal, this is why I it is hard for me to make some sense of saying something like intentionally targeting teens on a beach. If the Isreali policy is to kill palestinian civilians and in three weeks they have only managed to kill under 1,500 people then that policy is failing. Same cannot however be said of Hamas, lets take a look at an article in hamas charter (http://fas.org/irp/world/para/docs/880818a.htm).

'The Day of Judgment will not come about until Moslems fight Jews and

kill them. Then, the Jews will hide behind rocks and trees, and the

rocks and trees will cry out: 'O Moslem, there is a Jew hiding behind

me, come and kill him.' (Article 7)

I think the charter speaks a lot for itself, Hamas has come out to say it is a piece of history however it cannot change it. Hamas leaders would take an oath to this document, this is policy in black and white.

Does it happen that an isreali soldier would go bersek and shoot an innocent Palestinian yes it does, does it happen that a missile mistakenly hits where it is not supposed to hit yes it does. We can catalogue all of Isreal's mistakes in all this, they should take responsibility for that. However Saga even you should agree that it is stretching the truth to say that Isreali policy on Palestine is to kill innocent citizens when the opportunity presents itself.

Now to the numbers, I concede that there is no way to look at those disproportionate numbers and not be appalled by the civilian death toll so far. Gaza is a densely populated area, urban warfare is bound to claim a lot of civilians. It is sad but it is also the truth, hamas however has not helped this fight by its practices. Hamas has shot rockets from residential areas, from schools, beside hospitals, mosques. While it is certainly wrong to bomb a shelter full of refugees to get to hamas, can we really pause and think of how despicable anyone who will store and fire rockets inside a house where his 5 month old baby lives? What else am I supposed to think except that they do it so that when Isreal returns fire, they can show videos to the world and win the battle on the only front they can which is the media. That is what the lives of their loved is worth to them. Even the UN has come out to say that Hamas not once in this conflict has compromised a combat zone by storing weapons at UN schools. SO yes unless one is totally biased there is no way you can look at this conflict and say Hamas has not been using human shields.

I know previously you have failed to take a stand on this issue, but maybe you really should. It is easy for anyone to look at the conflict and say hey the civilian death toll is too high. But really what do you think both sides should do? If you were prime minister today of Isreal what would you do? If you were the leader of Hamas what would you do? And finally if you were to broker peace between both sides what would be your approach?
Those three positions would have different approaches, but I am hard pressed for any alternative for Isreal other than pressing on with what they are doing now.

Ah! My body dey inside my Primark Couture. cheesy

You good?

Now to the points. You really don't need to tell me about Hamas, as it is generally accepted they are terrorists. My point is that Israel as a State are Terrorists too, not defensive victims as they like to parade through their strong PR. The fact Hamas is a terrorist organisation is not a good distraction from that fact.

IT IS Israel's policy to kill civilians and then PR-tune it. Something they have obviously done well for many decades now but unfortunately for them, this is the citizen-reporting, instant information era where hardly any government can now PR things.

The decades of PR-tuning success is why you have come up with terming Israel's arbitrary and intentional killing of civilians as "mistakes". As psychologists said, if you repeat the same thing over and over and over and over again while in a position of influential power, then people start believing it is true. It is their policy to punish Palestinian civilians for anything Hamas does. They bomb civilians for the purpose of political change, that is one of the definitions of "terrorism". Suicide bomb terrorism is often defined as the bombing of oneself to kill as many unarmed civilians as possible to effect a political change. Remove the part of bombing one's self, leaves you with just the terrorism part.

If Israel has no intention of killing civilians, it would not be killing far more civilians than terrorists. If Israel had no intention of killing civilians, it would not be bombing UN compounds full of civilians while the UN had communicated the compound location to them repeatedly.

The fact Hamas shoots from densely area is not sufficient excuse for Israel's killing of civilians. They know that PR BS worked a lot before and they exploit it as a means to kill whoever they want to kill and claim "Hamas bombs were kept there" without any proof.

You take the sense and think about it yourself, if Hamas comes to use your house to bomb, would you remain there for Israel to retaliate?

Or you think it is the warning of "3 mins" that Israel gives that makes them so "compassionate"? How easily can you get your family out of a house at night in 3 mins (which could actually end up being 2mins 38 secs as it is sometime a funny game to some Israelis)? If you have a baby, young kids and your 80+ invalid grannie there, and still have to inform your neighbours too, how easy is that?

Don't believe that tosh about Israel looking for peace. A country looking for peace does not go about committing the same atrocities of building settlements and taking lives that started the war in the first place. Israel continues to build settlements and then once it becomes a city, say it is not negotiable now.

The alternative for Israel to do first is stop stoking fire with the hope of using oppression to hold on now and then cheating the other later in negotiation. No person/entity that continues to carry out injustice can claim to want peace. It is a paradox.

2 Likes

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Sagamite(m): 6:40pm On Jul 31, 2014
raumdeuter: In all of these I support Israel.

When Hamas decides in its charter that Israel has no right to live then you live the Israelis with no option

If Hamas wants war they should take their rockets out of civilian areas and confront the IDF frontally

You are a cretinous fvcktard!

Why don't Israel abandon all their technology too and come and fight by the sword?
Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Sagamite(m): 7:52am On Aug 08, 2014
An article from an Israeli academic that is a former IDF soldier, whose academic specialism now is warfare.

Also note the 'Terrorism' policy Israel practices as I defined above: "Kill many civilians to effect political change".

[size=18pt]My time in Israeli Defence Force tells me the level of casualties in Gaza is avoidable[/size]

In the 1982 Lebanon war I served as an Israeli artillery forward observer, my task to pinpoint the PLO’s positions and call in fire from our artillery units. We stayed in the evacuated Al Jamous School, overlooking Beirut. The routine was simple enough: I would pop into the classroom next door from where I would collect the co-ordinates and description of my military targets: “a military camp”, “a mortar”, “an antenna”. I would then return to my room and, looking out of the windows, I would direct our fire on the targets.

From time to time I would pause to let the air force get in to drop its munitions; and the navy would fire from the sea. Beirut, in the summer of 1982, was all burning up – a city on fire.

There was a purpose to this massive bombardment: to hit Yasser Arafat’s guerrilla force and its weapons – and also put pressure on the Lebanese, particularly those living inside Beirut with no water, food and electricity, so they demanded Arafat get out of Beirut which would then stop our assault.

In the end, a Lebanese military officer by the name of Jonny Abdu confronted Arafat who left Lebanon and moved to Tunisia.

Looking back now, I’m appalled by our brutal bombing of Beirut. Was it justified to turn this beautiful city into a Middle Eastern Dresden and kill hundreds of innocent civilians in the process?

Now to Gaza where, like in 1982 Beirut, the Israeli army is using overwhelming military power to locate and destroy Hamas’s tunnels, to stop them firing rockets into Israel – and also to put pressure on the Gazans (as we had pressured the Beirutis) so they turn their backs on Hamas as a political force.

In the process, just as in Lebanon, hundreds of innocent Palestinians have been killed and parts of Gaza, as some sections of 1982 Beirut, have been turned into wastelands. Even worst, UN schools in Gaza which are shelters to more than 250,000 refugees, and their hospitals have also been hit by Israeli artillery and bombs.

Wayward artillery
Can anything be done so that in the next round between Israel and Hamas, which is inevitable, there would be fewer innocent civilian casualties?

The answer to this question is yes.
It is indeed possible to reduce the number of casualties on the Palestinian side, but this would require a modification of the Israeli army’s rules of engagement, namely the way it operates, particularly when in close proximity to schools, hospitals and other shelters.

For example, as an artillery officer I know that even now – with advanced technologies – artillery fire is unreliable. As an artillery forward observer, I always looked up to the sky, praying my shells hit the targets and not land on my head. Artillery shells have a strange habit of going astray.

In 1996, in southern Lebanon, wayward Israeli artillery shells landed on a UN compound near the village of Qana, killing 106 innocent people. In the current Gaza war many of the innocent casualties were victims of artillery shells landing in the wrong place. What’s needed here is to ensure that heavy artillery is not used in Gaza’s urban areas – particularly not near schools and hospitals.

As for Israeli attacks from the air, at the moment, Israeli pilots, or those who dispatch them, can choose from a range of bombs weighing from 250-1,000kg. They often opt for the latter, as they are big enough to destroy the target completely – and the pilots are confident they can hit the target accurately, as they often do.

The problem is that the collateral damage of such big bombs is catastrophic in densely populated Gaza; it destroys not only the intended targets but also causes massive damage to nearby structures and kills non-combatants. Such big bombs must be banned altogether from being used in the vicinity of shelters, schools and hospitals.

Hannibal Protocol
Finally, certain practices employed by the Israeli army should not be allowed to be used, most notably the “Hannibal Protocol”, which is the IDF’s procedure for preventing soldiers from falling into enemy hands.

The Hannibal Protocol is yet another product of Israel’s Lebanon wars: a procedure to be used in the first minutes and hours after a possible abduction of an Israeli soldier. It calls on the military to dramatically escalate attacks in the vicinity of any kidnapping – to strike at bridges, roads, houses, cars – everything, in fact, to prevent the captors from disappearing with the abducted soldier.

When the IDF thought – wrongly as it turned out - that one of its officers had been abducted by Hamas in the southern Gaza Strip, the Hannibal protocol was activated to a most devastating effect. The army used everything at its disposal – tanks, artillery, aeroplanes, drones – and pounded vast areas in Rafah, causing enormous damage, killing and wounding scores of innocent Palestinians.

The brutal Hannibal procedure seems to me to break all rules of war. It should be thrown out of the window and never used again in Gaza.

What will ultimately stop the death of innocent Palestinians and Israelis is a peace deal putting an end to the conflict. But in the meantime, a modification of the Israeli rules of engagement could reduce the number of innocent casualties.

In 2010, following Israel’s Operation Cast Lead in the Gaza Strip which resulted in hundreds of Palestinian casualties, the IDF produced a document calling on military commanders, operating in densely populated areas, to “exercise judgement and use more accurate weapons, or lower-impact weapons”.

It seems, judging from the sheer number of Palestinian casualties in the current Gaza war, that the Israelis are not following their own rules – or the rules were produced at the time as a PR exercise to silence international criticism.

There’s no reason to think the Israelis couldn’t change their rules, though. We have international conventions banning, for instance, the use of chemical weapons in war, so it is possible, I believe, to also prohibit the use of heavy artillery, big bombs and cruel procedures in densely populated areas such as the Gaza Strip. After all, it is also in Israel’s interest, as the horrific pictures coming out of the Gaza Strip ruin the country’s already tarnished reputation.

https://theconversation.com/my-time-in-israeli-defence-force-tells-me-the-level-of-casualties-in-gaza-is-avoidable-30133

For those that, despite reading the above, still maintains Israel has no intention of targeting and killing civilians, I take you a few years back:

https://www.nairaland.com/222796/israel-admits-lies-killing-palestines

Israel's arbitrarily and intentionally kills civilians to effect political change and then PR-tune it as "mistakes".

4 Likes

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by NairaMinted: 1:27pm On Aug 08, 2014
Israel killed 1,814 people in Gaza, the overwhelming majority civilians. There are thousands of patients crammed in bombed-out hospitals, most of them suffering from atrocious injuries. They need water. They need electricity. Israel also totally destroyed 10,000 homes, and partially destroyed another 30,000.

Meanwhile, Bibi's goons are assembling an army of US lawyers to make sure they are not accused of war crimes anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by NairaMinted: 1:28pm On Aug 08, 2014
How much more is there left to destroy in Gaza? This is a question that cannot afford to be answered. Nearly one in three people in the country fled their home to escape the onslaught of bombing, and are now facing an uncertain future.

1 Like

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 08, 2014
NairaMinted: How much more is there left to destroy in Gaza? This is a question that cannot afford to be answered. Nearly one in three people in the country fled their home to escape the onslaught of bombing, and are now facing an uncertain future.
Please, tell Hamas to stop launching rockets into Israel so that the destruction can stop. The terror group is responsible for the retaliation from IDF which is causing lost of lives and other casualties. I only sympathize with the innocent children and mothers who are paying for the evil of Hamas terror group in Gaza.

3 Likes

Re: Isreal Bombards Gaza. It Is Literally Raining Bombs. by adanny01(m): 3:38pm On Aug 12, 2014
Sagamite:

Israel's arbitrarily and intentionally kills civilians to effect political change and then PR-tune it as "mistakes".

Hamas arbitrarily and intentionally places and shoots its missiles from civilian buildings and close to public areas to attract Isreali fire that wiil definately kill civilians. This is to effect political empathy for their cause through deaths and then PR-tune its inhumane guerilla warfare strategy.

Isn't it the same thing?!

Both of them have justified demands and both have been using unjustifiable means to get their demands. At the end palestinians carry the weight of actions from both sides.

The end will only come when the Palestinian Government and the Palestinian people realise that peace is the only solution and renounce their support for Hamas, taking up their demands themselves and making a compromise.

I refuse to be bias. The only party that can end the conflict is the Palestinians. Palestinians have their freedom in their hands, they can do whatever they choose to do with it. They can continue to make demands, refuse compromise, fight or stop fighting, compromise their demands and regain their freedom. They wont have both.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply)

Malaysian Military Ready To Go To Jerusalem To Assist The Palestinian Cause / Botswana And Rwanda, 2 African Countries With Good Governance (Pics, Videos) / Record-Breaking Rainfall Hits Spain, Triggers Floods (Video, Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.