Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You (16535 Views)

Is It Ideal Having Another Elaborate Wedding After A Wife/Husband Is Dead? / A Lesser Evil: A Wife Who Can't Cook Or A Wife Who Can't Manage The Home / Is It Ideal For A Mother-in-law To Move In With A Newly Married Couple?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 15, 2014
honeric01:

Wait o.. when you say "chores", can you break this down?

I showed you or you decided to ignore it because it didn't support your views? go back to my previous posts

When i say nurture, what do you understand by the word "nurture"?

House chores: laundry, dishes, cleaning, irnoning ....

Nurture: providing food and drinks, showing love, affection and attention ...
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 15, 2014
TV01:
Research that shows - as you are claiming - that it is the move away from traditional households that is responsible for this "progress". Or research that shows that it is Nigerias family structure that is hindering it's progress/development.

Your ideology forces you to reduce child raising to chores. It's far more than that. Mothers and fathers contribute in different ways to a childs development. The way the articualte, empathise, play, discipline and comfort children all differ. Input from the two is key to a childs optimal development. Nurture =/= Chores.

Making it sound like there is no difference between the input/contribution of mothers and fathers is ideologically led, not evidence based. These differences are biologically re-inforced. Our wiring means men and women have natural capabilities and inclinations which make them better suited for particular roles and bring different input to parenting. So far example, boys raised without a mothers input often lack empathy.

Ideologically you are on the exact same page as the homosexualists. Have the strength of your convictions. Are two fathers or two mothers exactly the same as a mother and a father. Do children only really need mothers at the point of entry?

As above

Again, as above. How will you remember grin!

And again, as above. That is what is clearly implied by your position. Fathers and mothers are interchangeable and therefore replaceable by each other. Or simply expendable. And again, have the strength of your convictions.

Pix or you wont believe it cheesy!

And nobody here is.
Is the "progress" of Western nations due to role-swapping or reversal in traditional families? Is it due to homosexualisation of those nations?
Please show us one "developed" or "progressive" nation where the "traditional family" is not the overwhelming family type.

In your "developed/progressive" nations up to 70% of divorces are instituted by women. Many on the basis of vague notions of "not being happy", and a sense that they'll be happier without the husbands, but with the lions share of the assets he accumulated. What's your point?

Marriage is not miserable by design, neither do children appear without action. Neither of the two are necessary, dependant on each other or an indicator of "progress". What point are you making?

Your point is? Are not teen pregnancies correlated to abortions? Can you have abortions without having pregnancies. Are there no lower class girls in "developed" nations. Are "kids" in developed nations not supplied with contraceptives - without their parents knowledge - and encouraged to explore sex when barely out of kindergarten?

What is the difference between kids having sex and kids of the same age marrying?

They are not as rampant or culturally embedded. They are not socially acceptable and still scorned as opposed to considered cool. That makes Nigeria more progressive no?

Nobody is denying you your preferences, you just can't have your own facts cool!

Me too. Lots of Germans. They love beach volley, although they were very competitive and way too serious - even on holiday.

TV

I will not go in circles with you when you refuse to answer my questions, so again:

What exactly is a father UNABLE to give to his children at which stage apart from b.r. east-feeding that a mother is?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 10:15am On Jul 15, 2014
Chillisauce:

Those friends might the old enemies with new usernames. Beware of some.
As for me, the longer the enemy the better . Most Nigerians like people wey dey follow them suffer. So my " friends" is limited . Enjoy dear

Thank you wink kiss smiley
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by honeric01(m): 10:22am On Jul 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

House chores: laundry, dishes, cleaning, irnoning ....

Nurture: providing food and drinks, showing love, affection and attention ...

Provision of food to me remains the main job of the man, the woman should only serve as backup and not take up the responsibility equally with the man. the main is to manage what was provided by the main!

Attention is the main thing a woman is expected to give to her kids which kids need while growing up, the man can't give this at a tender age, kids are fond/closer to their mom than their dad during this period of their lives. how can a woman who leaves home by 5:30am, returns by 9-10pm at night give this?
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by honeric01(m): 10:31am On Jul 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I already know that you think this way but WHY are the chores not his primary role but the woman's?

All of this can also be done by the mother.
Why are the chores to his discretion?

I didn't ask you to say what you consider a man's and a woman's roles, I was aware of your convictions.

Nothing makes a woman unable to do house chores and look after her children.

A woman should leave home before her husband and kids and return later when she and her husband agree on such an arrangement because, for example, she has a job that pays better or because she is about to be promoted or because she is temporarily working on an importnat project.

The reason why the chores are not his primary role have been explained by stating out his primary role.

No, this is why roles and responsibilities come in, let everyone vigorously face the main role and only assist in the other role, women should do what they are good at, nurturing the young ones while the men should do theirs, making sure they remain the role model they are.

Because he should face the main things, why wash plates when you cant even provide the food to be served with the plates?

BTW, i do not even care about the plates, clothes and the rest, there are machines that can do that, i am talking about things that affect the development of the children and the family, not these petty things you are bringing up. (BTW, i wash my clothes myself even though i have at least 4 people that can do them for me)

Then you obviously do not know the real reason a woman was given a womb and 2 beautiful oranges if you think its okay for her to leave home even before the kids are up from bed and also return home when the kids are fast asleep. her primary ROLE is not to chase money but to oversee the development of the kids she carried/breastfed for 9 months.

If you want chasing money and career as your primary goals, i advice you do not give birth to kids you have no time for.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 15, 2014
honeric01:

Provision of food to me remains the main job of the man, the woman should only serve as backup and not take up the responsibility equally with the man. the main is to manage what was provided by the main!

This is your conviction but it remains a conviction, which I respect, but which is not some higher truth that everyone must stick to.

This conviction produces MANY families where women are threatened to be send packing because it is HIS house, she has not earned any money, even though she was working at home all day and all night.

I know why some people here are so eager to prove why a man should hold financial power. It is nice to leave the house, go into the world, work for some 8-10 hours, come home and be treated like a king and threaten the wife to send her packing or with a second wife if she does not do as she is told, even though her job as a house wife and mother does not end after some 8-10 hours but is to be done 24 / 7.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a father staying at home with his children and you do not argue on behalf of a child's well-being, you are just not willing to give up the financial power you hold and the comfort you enjoy.

Attention is the main thing a woman is expected to give to her kids which kids need while growing up, the main can't give this before at a tender age, kids are more fond of their mom than their dad. how can a woman who leaves home by 5:30am then returns by 9-10pm at night give this?

Attention is also required of fathers. Children are more fond of their mothers because mothers spend more time with them, not because they are "naturally" more fond of mothers.

Who is talking about working hourse from 5:30 - 10?

And who told you that it is ok for fatherS to spend little time with their kids?

And again:

WHY IS A MAN UNABLE TO GIVE HIS OWN CHILDREN ATTENTION AT A TENDER AGE? DOES HE HAVE ANY DISABILITY TO DO SO?

3 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by davidofficer(m): 10:35am On Jul 15, 2014
laptops and cars for sale on cheap price in nigeria custom service call 08111056944.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 10:40am On Jul 15, 2014
honeric01:

The reason why the chores are not his primary role have been explained by stating out his primary role.

No, this is why roles and responsibilities come in, let everyone vigorously face the main role and only assist in the other role, women should do what they are good at, nurturing the young ones while the men should do theirs, making sure they remain the role model they are.

Because he should face the main things, why wash plates when you cant even provide the food to be served with the plates?

BTW, i do not even care about the plates, clothes and the rest, there are machines that can do that, i am talking about things that affect the development of the children and the family, not these petty things you are bringing up. (BTW, i wash my clothes myself even though i have at least 4 people that can do them for me)

Then you obviously do not know the real reason a woman was given a womb and 2 beautiful oranges if you think its okay for her to leave home even before the kids are up from bed and also return home when the kids are fast asleep. her primary ROLE is not to chase money but to oversee the development of the kids she carried/breastfed for 9 months.

If you want chasing money and career as your primary goals, i advice you do not give birth to kids you have no time for.

You STILL have NOT given any LOGICAL reason for what a man's primary role should be; same for a woman's primary role.

Don't worry, you will not be able to do so because there is absolutely no LOGICAL reason why the roles cannot be reversed.

AGAIN:

What makes a man UNABLE to stay at home with his children?

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by honeric01(m): 10:47am On Jul 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

This is your conviction but it remains a conviction, which I respect, but which is not some higher truth that everyone must stick to.

This conviction produces MANY families where women are threatened to be send packing because it is HIS house, she has not earned any money, even though she was working at home all day and all night.

I know why some people here are so eager to prove why a man should hold financial power. It is nice to leave the house, go into the world, work for some 8-10 hours, come home and be treated like a king and threaten the wife to send her packing or with a second wife if she does not do as she is told, even though her job as a house wife and mother does not end after some 8-10 hours but is to be done 24 / 7.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a father staying at home with his children and you do not argue on behalf of a child's well-being, you are just not willing to give up the financial power you hold and the comfort you enjoy.

Attention is also required of fathers. Children are more fond of their mothers because mothers spend more time with them, not because they are "naturally" more fond of mothers.

Who is talking about working hourse from 5:30 - 10?

And who told you that it is ok for fatherS to spend little time with their kids?

And again:

WHY IS A MAN UNABLE TO GIVE HIS OWN CHILDREN ATTENTION AT A TENDER AGE? DOES HE HAVE ANY DISABILITY TO DO SO?

And what is the "higher truth you believe in"?
It seems you always read only what you have in my mind, did i say the woman should not work or make her own money? please we are not foolss here! (WHERE DID I SAY A WOMAN SHOULD REMAIN INDOORS?) Do not put words into my mouth. (Typical of some women)

Nope, it's wrong for a man to stay at home all day with the kids, he gives them the wrong impression of what a man should be, same with women, idleness (even though taking care of kids is a job on its own), everyone should be engaged, at work, everyone works, yet some have lesser work and still earn more, some leave earlier than the rest, yet earn more and hold higher positions. this is how a system works.

Yes, it's because kids are "naturally" fond of their mom, for God's sake, the womb and the breast are not just there, they have an impact in a child's life, the man does not have these "tools". stop thinking your womb and breast are signboards or factories, they serve much more purpose than that. (A tipsmiley why are young animals more fond of their mothers than their fathers?

I am the one talking about 5:30am-9-10pm, because every sensible and honest person out there knows that this time-frame is very peculiar in the corporate world and alot of career women are caught in this time-frame trap.

Daycare and schools now do the jobs of parents because everyone of them wants to make money, the result? wayward kids and unsafe environment!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by honeric01(m): 10:48am On Jul 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You STILL have NOT given any LOGICAL reason for what a man's primary role should be; same for a woman's primary role.

Don't worry, you will not be able to do so because there is absolutely no LOGICAL reason why the roles cannot be reversed.

AGAIN:

What makes a man UNABLE to stay at home with his children?

Are you actually saying this or you just feign blindness? it seems you don't even read what i write, rather just quote.. TYPICAL!
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by TV01(m): 10:50am On Jul 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:
I will not go in circles with you when you refuse to answer my questions, so again:
What exactly is a father UNABLE to give to his children at which stage apart from b.r. east-feeding that a mother is?
Your question has been adequately answered in my last post as quoted below.

It is not a question of what either parents is "unable" to do, it's about the different biological/natural giftings and preparation and the consequently different ways mothers and fathers parent; Bringing a unique and complimentary flavour to child rearing which makes for a balanced well-raised child.

I change nappies just like my wife does, but you'd be surprised that even in this "chore", we have different approaches - based on the natural feminine/masculine balance.

The presence of a mother is best for a new born. All the physiological and psychological changes a woman undergoes prepares her for exactly that. Men do not undergo the same changes. So yes, a man woul dbe able to look after a new born child. Just like zoos bottle feed or hand rear baby animals without mothers. Does that mean it's best and should therefore be adopted as equal/normal. Wild animals have been known to raise human babies. Your concern is not children, their nurture or healthy families. It's equality.

TV01: Your ideology forces you to reduce child raising to chores. It's far more than that. Mothers and fathers contribute in different ways to a childs development. The way the articulate, empathise, play, discipline and comfort children all differ. Input from the two is key to a childs optimal development. Nurture =/= Chores.
Making it sound like there is no difference between the input/contribution of mothers and fathers is ideologically led, not evidence based. These differences are biologically re-inforced. Our wiring means men and women have natural capabilities and inclinations which make them better suited for particular roles and bring different input to parenting. So far example, boys raised without a mothers input often lack empathy.
Ideologically you are on the exact same page as the homosexualists. Have the strength of your convictions. Are two fathers or two mothers exactly the same as a mother and a father. Do children only really need mothers at the point of entry?

As for claiming I am not answering your questions, you are the one not answering questions, denying what your staements imply or conveniently forgetting things wink.

Questions;
1. Is child rearing reducible to chores?
2. If as stated there is nothing a mother or father does that the other cannot equally or adequatrely replicate, why are two fathers or two mothers not equivalent to a father and a mother? And as you have pressed for, I am willing to take gestation and breast-feeding out of the equation.
3. Are the vast majority of females naturally inclined to taking a lower status mate which is necessary for a full role reversal or swap which is also implied by your stance. The flip side; are the vast majority of men wired in such a way as to play home maker while the wife provides? Or; does the natural dynamic between males and females make the roles interchangeable for the majority whilst ensuring happy unions?

TV

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by BizBloke(m): 10:53am On Jul 15, 2014
damiso:

Some sort of sacrifice (either way for career or family ) is made when you have kids so to think otherwise is just not being realistic . And yeah most times the mothers tend to be the ones who make the sacrifice.Its not just a Nigerian or African reality.Its a reality for mothers the world over. That's why mothers tend to be the ones who work from home, work part time, work compressed hours, job share etc.

I got passed over for promotion as I was unable to travel at the drop of a hat (and thats even within the UK) which was a sacrifice on my part.We can say my husband could have picked up the slack but we had a routine where he dropped my daughter off as he worked nearer home and could resume after 9.I picked her up as I could go in earlier and leave early (half 3 /4) and pick her up play with her abit cook dinner and tuck her into bed as i left home most times before she woke up.So if I had to be travelling to Hull, Manchester with just a day's notice (clients are king in the business world) who would pick up my daughter from nursery?Is it the same husband that had already negotiated coming in later so he could close later?

I was initially pained but I later said to myself tucking my daughter into bed myself after leaving home most times before she woke up is enough promotion for me.

Like someone else has said its not black and white but truly having kids MIGHT mean you slowing down a bit till an effective rhythm is found that works for your family.

Well written. The highlighted part is very interesting. I don't really know (and I hope my view doesn't change in two years) but I want to be able to tuck my daughter in and also be there for her when she wakes. Ditto to the boys; I'd love to game a lot with them.

As regards your second paragraph, that's very impressive; once upon a time, my mum did something similar. Truth is we have to forgo some alternatives and timing is very important in this. We can't be perfect in family planning and parenting but we can sure give it a hell of a try commitment. grin
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:11am On Jul 15, 2014
TV01:
Your question has been adequately answered in my last post as quoted below.

It is not a question of what either parents is "unable" to do, it's about the different biological/natural giftings and preparation and the consequently different ways mothers and fathers parent; Bringing a unique and complimentary flavour to child rearing which makes for a balanced well-raised child.

I change nappies just like my wife does, but you'd be surprised that even in this "chore", we have different approaches - based on the natural feminine/masculine balance.

The presence of a mother is best for a new born. All the physiological and psychological changes a woman undergoes prepares her for exactly that. Men do not undergo the same changes. So yes, a man woul dbe able to look after a new born child. Just like zoos bottle feed or hand rear baby animals without mothers. Does that mean it's best and should therefore be adopted as equal/normal. Wild animals have been known to raise human babies. Your concern is not children, their nurture or healthy families. It's equality.

As for claiming I am not answering your questions, you are the one not answering questions, denying what your staements imply or conveniently forgetting things wink.

Questions;
1. Is child rearing reducible to chores?
2. If as stated there is nothing a mother or father does that the other cannot equally or adequatrely replicate, why are two fathers or two mothers not equivalent to a father and a mother? And as you have pressed for, I am willing to take gestation and breast-feeding out of the equation.
3. Are the vast majority of females naturally inclined to taking a lower status mate which is necessary for a full role reversal or swap which is also implied by your stance. The flip side; are the vast majority of men wired in such a way as to play home maker while the wife provides? Or; does the natural dynamic between males and females make the roles interchangeable for the majority whilst ensuring happy unions?

TV

I do not even bother to read the long epistles unless you give me specific examples of what a father cannot do for his child except for b. r. ea. st-feeding. I am waiting.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 15, 2014
honeric01:

Are you actually saying this or you just feign blindness? it seems you don't even read what i write, rather just quote.. TYPICAL!

I am waiting for a CLEAR answer. I will NOT accept avoidance manoeuvres.

What makes a father unable to stay at home with HIS children?

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 15, 2014
Sorry guys, I have to catch my flight. It was a pleasure talking to you guys. I will be back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRvyAPfqO8o

Don't be angry with me. I love it this way and I can have it no other way. kiss kiss kiss

Honeric, I like you. wink Take care.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Fernandinho: 11:23am On Jul 15, 2014
Tannie: I want to be successful, have my own money, contribute my quota to my family but not at the expense of my family. I don't have to work 6-9 to be successful, I can work 7-4 and still be successful. I want to be involve in my children's life, attend sch parties, have a heart to heart talk with them, create an everlasting bond with them and help them in difficult times, that's why I'm their mother.

Well said
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 11:41am On Jul 15, 2014

5 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by honeric01(m): 12:20pm On Jul 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I am waiting for a CLEAR answer. I will NOT accept avoidance manoeuvres.

What makes a father unable to stay at home with HIS children?

LOL, you want me to repeat what is already on this thread? at least do us a favor, read before quoting.. tongue
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Joel3(m): 12:24pm On Jul 15, 2014
i see no reason why this keep poping up. there is a preference to everybody. in that case everyone is right.

this thread is like a food for some peep. lipsrsealed

Why is this even popping up from my list. Oh i guess it was on follow. Now unfollow bye to thread.
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by TV01(m): 12:29pm On Jul 15, 2014
Nonso23: carefreewannabe,
You are arguing ideally ideologically, naively and absent real life experiencically grin.
While i'm completely indifferent to the dynamics of other people's relationships, I'm still bothered that you are using rare exceptions as a basis for comparison with the obvious 'norm'.

From the onset of development , men and women have been differentiated. Our genes bear similar foundations but also differences that can not be ignored.
Raising the two genders from childhood demand different approaches in order for each of them to enaure they maximize their potentials. Why? Gender as a whole is an outer reflection of the many hidden differences between both genders. A man is a man, a woman is a woman. We have our strength and weaknesses.

We are like two programs written for different purposes. If you input the same data we handle it differently and most often than not, output different results.

Raising a child requires different approaches. A man cannot understand why a child will keep crying even when it appears they are 'comfortable'. Why, after all , logically the child is on a warm bed and propped comfortably? He doesn't read subtle emotional signs. Women on the other hand are intuitive and will keep guessing till they discover the cause for the wailing.
The above is just an instance amongst many others I could keep reeling out.

A woman is a source of emotional attachment to a child.
A man is a source of psychological strength to a child.
Roles are not interchangeable.

Stop using ideal situations to buttress your logic. It's dead on arrival.

Excellent post. With the tiniest of amendments cool

TV

3 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 15, 2014
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by damiso(f): 2:44pm On Jul 15, 2014
BizBloke:
Well written. The highlighted part is very interesting. I don't really know (and I hope my view doesn't change in two years) but I want to be able to tuck my daughter in and also be there for her when she wakes. Ditto to the boys; I'd love to game a lot with them.
As regards your second paragraph, that's very impressive; once upon a time, my mum did something similar. Truth is we have to forgo some alternatives and timing is very important in this. We can't be perfect in family planning and parenting but we can sure give it a hell of a try commitment. grin

Children have such a small window of childhood and as much as we want to give them the best things in life sometimes their needs are actually far simpler than we make out. I even think the early stages are the cheaper bit and the expenses probably pile up more as they grow older and are less dependent on you by then which you would have created a bond and foundation that just needs to be worked on.So many studies have shown that the Early Years Foundation Stage (0-5 years) are very crucialnin the development of a child and are such is one of the hardest times to adjust esp in your career.

Which brings me to another issue.I have worked in Nigeria and the UK and contrary to some points being raised here I actually think western societies (Europe especially) actually cater more to the fact that being a mother (parent actually but mothers more so) and having a career is a tough juggle.I like to talk from first hand experience and its real life experiences . Nigeria's coporate world is BRUTUAL to family life and allowances are not made to accommodate those who want to pursue career and raise a growing family. I won't mention names but there was a company (don't know if its still the case) where it was an unwritten rule that you could not get pregnant in your first few years of employment.

My uncle's wife got laid off while 8 months pregnant in a now defunct bank as her branch manager felt she was the disposable or weak link as she would soon be going on 3 months mat leave (all employers quite understandably are not fans of mat leave but coporate Nigeria really can't stand it)and would also be closing at 4 (its called nursing mother allowance) for another 3 months.He let her go and kept the single girls as he felt motherhood was a liability.

I will compare that to my case.I was entitled to 9 months PAID maternity leave with the option of taking a whole year with the last 3 months unpaid.My company was quite generous as I got full pay for the first 6 months and SMP(statutory mat pay) for 3 months.When I was ready to go back I had a meeting with my manager and asked for flexible working patterns where I was able to negotiate coming in early and leaving early.All parents with children under 5 are entitled to 13 weeks unpaid parental leave if they need it and my company even allowed you to take a further one year career break after your Maternity leave if you felt you needed it.

My role was to be made redundant due to company relocation while I was on mat leave with my 2nd pregnancy. My company offered me a job in the new location before anybody else on my team as they had to cover themselves by law to ensure that I was not being made redundant due to being on mat leave.I went through a 4 month consultation period before I decided on taking a voluntary redundancy due to my family situation at the time.

So I disagree that progressive nations do not understand that parenting is a big deal and having a hectic work schedule is detrimental to family life.Afterall who coined work life balance?
How many Nigerian companies give paternity leave? Until this year in the UK paternity leave was just 2 weeks and women got 39 weeks paid.Even now a woman can choose to split the 12 months with her partner but majority of couples still have the woman using up most of the 12 months.

So i think Nigerian companies need to step up a bit (I think the MNCs are a bit better) in the regards of allowing a bit more flexibility to people with young growing families.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by uzoexcel(m): 3:51pm On Jul 15, 2014
i have always said it...i look forward to marrying a teacher or even a lecturer by God's grace..at least someone in academia..it will always ensure that ur kids are properly groomed and taught on home fronts especially if the man doesnt really have time due to work...its just a wish though
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Gynacologist(m): 8:25pm On Jul 15, 2014
carefreewannabe: To each their own. I can understand why he reasons this way and I am ok with it. I just couldn't get married to a man with this way of thinking but I am sure he will find a woman who is ok with it.
as if u hv a choice
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by Gynacologist(m): 8:28pm On Jul 15, 2014
carefreewannabe: To each their own. I can understand why he reasons this way and I am ok with it. I just couldn't get married to a man with this way of thinking but I am sure he will find a woman who is ok with it.
as if u hv a choice
Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by SenatorJames(m): 6:31pm On Jul 16, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

Hehehe very well said. cheesy cheesy cheesy

This is a really complicated topic and from my observation .. Their is really no right answer or stance, it is not black or white ... the best bet is that one should go for whatever works for him or her and proceed to settle with someone who shares the same ideology.

But as we do so I think it is important to note the following points.

1. Family must come first before career for both couples. They both should be involved in a child's upbringing and more involved in each others life.

2. Both partners would try as much as possible to ensure they aid each other have a fulfilling life and career and should never try to prevent one another from reaching for the stars for egotistical reasons.

3. Nothing is set in stone, your stance may change in the future. The baseline is that both parties should be willing to make compromises when it is called for... To ensure the family never suffers.

4. Its not a crime for a woman to not have any ambition other than be a good house wife, so is it not a crime for a woman to desire to rise to be the CEO of a fortune 500 company. The most crucial thing is never let the home front suffer as a woman. The survival of the family structure is more dependent on you the woman.

5. Is not a crime as man to go for a less ambitious woman or to go for a very ambitious woman. The most important thing is you do your best to ensure you both have a fulfilling married life.

#Justsaying
#Mathew Briggs
The best response so far.

1 Like

Re: Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You by adeshola17: 8:16pm On Jul 26, 2014
Well tell him to make sure he runsvaway from the likes of 'sheryl sandberg' because women like her are exactly the type of women he does not want.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Things You Did In The Kitchen As A Kid / Best Advice/quotes Mum Ever Gave You? / 5th Birthday Of A Nairalander's Cute Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 440
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.