Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,574 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

A Thread For Keyboardists - Music/Radio (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Keyboardists (195606 Views)

Help Me With The Use Of Deminished Chord My Fellow Keyboardists. / Instrumentalists And Musicians (keyboardists, Drummers, Bassist: Etc) / *****all Keyboardists/pianists/interested Folks, Click Here!***** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by mayblossom(f): 7:22am On Aug 21, 2014
Nice thread! And timely too. So I´m just a beginner still trying to learn music theory cos I want to be good, very good ie play by ear and also play sheet music and accompany songs as well. I´ve always been able to play any song I can sing(with just my right hand and paying no attention to finger rules). Now I´ve decided to harness this natural talent.
The closest I´ve come to studying music is in secondary school and I was pretty good. I am encouraged by all your posts here(a little intimidated too) and now that I see all you guys do, I´m even more determined to grow.
Like I said, I´m currently studying music theory, from the BASIC. Now I´m trying to get familiar with note duration, time signatures, dots and ties, rest, accidentals. I read on my own from the internet and like someone suggested at the beginning of the thread, I´ve got a friend to guide me once in a week, and now I´ve got you guys too.
Now you have an idea of my level and abilities. please give me tips on what more I need to do, things that helped you as a beginner, etc
I´ll update the house on my progress and will ask questions about what confuses me as I go. please make una dey attend to my small people´s questions o.
Thanks Dramadiddy for all the links. I´ll start reading them right away. And thanks everyone for your contributions, I read this thread from page 1 to last. you all are good. Peace!
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 12:02pm On Aug 21, 2014
mayblossom: Nice thread! And timely too. So I´m just a beginner still trying to learn music theory cos I want to be good, very good ie play by ear and also play sheet music and accompany songs as well. I´ve always been able to play any song I can sing(with just my right hand and paying no attention to finger rules). Now I´ve decided to harness this natural talent.
The closest I´ve come to studying music is in secondary school and I was pretty good. I am encouraged by all your posts here(a little intimidated too) and now that I see all you guys do, I´m even more determined to grow.
Like I said, I´m currently studying music theory, from the BASIC. Now I´m trying to get familiar with note duration, time signatures, dots and ties, rest, accidentals. I read on my own from the internet and like someone suggested at the beginning of the thread, I´ve got a friend to guide me once in a week, and now I´ve got you guys too.
Now you have an idea of my level and abilities. please give me tips on what more I need to do, things that helped you as a beginner, etc
I´ll update the house on my progress and will ask questions about what confuses me as I go. please make una dey attend to my small people´s questions o.
Thanks Dramadiddy for all the links. I´ll start reading them right away. And thanks everyone for your contributions, I read this thread from page 1 to last. you all are good. Peace!
i don't see any problems with your level just keep practicing and never forget the basics unless na your student go begin lecture you o!!! Good luck!!!
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 6:37pm On Aug 24, 2014
Ini Dminstrel Uko vs Sunny Nweke(Masterkraft)

Isn't there just a striking difference between the two men? Listen to this track titled "Time na money" by Ini and "I have decided to follow Jesus" by Masterkraft, for some reason I could not get time na money on the Internet... But the difference between the two men is that... Ini is very calculative, Ini's mind works so fast that he plays on instinct but he already calculates how its gonna sound out before he plays it.. He has other songs on the internet but time na money would have been a very good example...

Sunny Nweke(Masterkraft) : is calculative, but just a bit slower compared to Ini. Now I might be wrong but I think, masterkraft "dey play am as e dey come" It doesn't necessarily mean that Ini is better, its all about personality.. Playing like Ini sounds very neat but then wen you play like that, it makes you sound almost basic even with complex chords. Playing like masterkraft, would mean whatever comes in your head at the moment you just drop it like its hot.. Sounds more kinda interesting.. But they say, what is worth doing is worth doing well
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 6:45pm On Aug 24, 2014
And you would not wanna miss this song for nothing! Its a nice song if you wanna have a nice time with your guys.. I tried playing it yesterday and its not hard at allll... So have a nice time with this http://tubidy.mobi/watch/LSZoT3aVU0nLKwfGvzc1Wg_3D_3D/3gp-mobile/fs if you have any problems, tell me I'll surely help out

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 5:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
I decided to ignore a post someone wrote about being paid by a church to play or sth,If you are being paid before you play in a church,this is the views I have about you.(1) You may be likely below 26years old(2) You are unemployed (3) You are not mature enough to take responsibility (4) You can't carter for your needs,Aside from this,I don't see why you play for money except that church can pay you up to #70,000-#120,000/month. Finally,there's no integrity in playing for #10,000-50,000. Mature players ie 35 years old and above don't need to jump from one church to another in search of money,to me,if the church doctrine and style of worship is OK by me,I don't need to switch, I am not condemning anyone that plays in church for money,just giving my views,so no insults, please.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dieumerci(m): 9:24am On Aug 28, 2014
Kudos to all of you. I intend to buy a fairly used piano as a beginner, what should I look out for? For instance, the make, model and special key? Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 10:31am On Aug 28, 2014
Dieumerci: Kudos to all of you. I intend to buy a fairly used piano as a beginner, what should I look out for? For instance, the make, model and special key? Thanks.
since you are a beginner,the basic thing you should look out for in a Piano is its simplicity. Try to avoid Pianos with too many extravagant button( Pitch bend, Octave,Transpose, Sustain, et al). When I started learning the Piano, I had the type without the transpose button( Or maybe I didn't know where it was). I'd advise you to try such pianos out. They'd make you Learn the hardway but you will play better. The only Hitch is that such pianos might be hard to get these days. And always go for a Yamaha.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 12:15pm On Aug 29, 2014
Dieumerci: Kudos to all of you. I intend to buy a fairly used piano as a beginner, what should I look out for? For instance, the make, model and special key? Thanks.
Hello there, i suggest you go for a fully weighted fairly used piano(roland or kurzweil) .. U can get it at 30-35k...also check if this piano has touch response.. What i mean by touch response is the way u touch it is the way it'll respond.. Take for instance, if you press the piano softly, it'll sound softly.. So it responds to ur touch, secondly make sure this piano is hard.. I mean the keys.. The other thing i have to tell you is most pianos like this dont use batteries but if u see one that uses battery, fine. The reason for u having all this is that i assume you wanna learn and improve, if you get a piano like gameboi suggested, when you begin getting advanced, the piano he suggested wil not attract u anymore and you'll resort to going back to the market to get what i just suggested to you.. Trust me ive been there... Just try alaba and see what happens

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by punintended(m): 8:36am On Aug 30, 2014
Wasup everyone. I was sooo excited wen I found this thread, however it seems everyone here is waaay ahead of me as pianists. However, I hope y'all can stoop to my level to help me.
When I began playin, I never intended to be a professional keyboardist, I jst wanted to learn music theories with it and stuff. So I didn't bother challenging myself with learning new keys so I learnt on only keys I was comfortable with..C, Dflat,F, Gflat and Aflat. So right now, if a song falls on any key besides these, I can only manage to play the basic I IV V chords (The music director forbids us from transposing)
My question is, are there any piano exercises you recommend I do to speed up my acquaintance with the other keys.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by punintended(m): 8:45am On Aug 30, 2014
Also, can someone explain to me how to practically apply the blues scale or jazz in my playing. I don't want to hear stuff about what makes up the scales cos I think I understand those, I want to know how to apply them in ordinary hymns or worship songs[img]Also, can someone explain to me how to practically apply the blues scale or jazz in my playing. I don't want to hear stuff about what makes up the scales cos I think I understand those, I want to know how to apply them in ordinary hymns or worship songs[/img]Also, can someone explain to me how to practically apply the blues scale or jazz in my playing. I don't want to hear stuff about what makes up the scales cos I think I understand those, I want to know how to apply them in ordinary hymns or worship songs
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 11:13am On Aug 30, 2014
punintended: Also, can someone explain to me how to practically apply the blues scale or jazz in my playing. I don't want to hear stuff about what makes up the scales cos I think I understand those, I want to know how to apply them in ordinary hymns or worship songs[img]Also, can someone explain to me how to practically apply the blues scale or jazz in my playing. I don't want to hear stuff about what makes up the scales cos I think I understand those, I want to know how to apply them in ordinary hymns or worship songs[/img]Also, can someone explain to me how to practically apply the blues scale or jazz in my playing. I don't want to hear stuff about what makes up the scales cos I think I understand those, I want to know how to apply them in ordinary hymns or worship songs
Playing with the blues scale requires quite some skill and constant practise. I'd advice you to start by trying its application with hymns. Not all songs fit into the blues scale. Songs for it are specially composed. You can also download DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE by Blind Boys of Alabama. With it, you might just have an insight into how it should be applied.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 12:12pm On Aug 30, 2014
punintended: Wasup everyone. I was sooo excited wen I found this thread, however it seems everyone here is waaay ahead of me as pianists. However, I hope y'all can stoop to my level to help me.
When I began playin, I never intended to be a professional keyboardist, I jst wanted to learn music theories with it and stuff. So I didn't bother challenging myself with learning new keys so I learnt on only keys I was comfortable with..C, Dflat,F, Gflat and Aflat. So right now, if a song falls on any key besides these, I can only manage to play the basic I IV V chords (The music director forbids us from transposing)
My question is, are there any piano exercises you recommend I do to speed up my acquaintance with the other keys.
keep practicing the major and minor chords of the diationic scale of whatever key ure in, also practice the major scale of the keys.. Do all keys at once, even if its not so perfect, make sure you do all keys everyday and their inversions, do it everyday... That's how I learnt.. Note im not a classical musician just a gospel guy
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 12:13pm On Aug 30, 2014
punintended: Also, can someone explain to me how to practically apply the blues scale or jazz in my playing. I don't want to hear stuff about what makes up the scales cos I think I understand those, I want to know how to apply them in ordinary hymns or worship songs[img]Also, can someone explain to me how to practically apply the blues scale or jazz in my playing. I don't want to hear stuff about what makes up the scales cos I think I understand those, I want to know how to apply them in ordinary hymns or worship songs[/img]Also, can someone explain to me how to practically apply the blues scale or jazz in my playing. I don't want to hear stuff about what makes up the scales cos I think I understand those, I want to know how to apply them in ordinary hymns or worship songs
practice the scale very slowly to understand the importance of the individual notes of the scale... Then increase your speed
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by punintended(m): 2:06pm On Aug 30, 2014
Dramadiddy: keep practicing the major and minor chords of the diationic scale of whatever key ure in, also practice the major scale of the keys.. Do all keys at once, even if its not so perfect, make sure you do all keys everyday and their inversions, do it everyday... That's how I learnt.. Note im not a classical musician just a gospel guy
thnx bro..diatonic scale..pls kindly expatiate on what that means
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by punintended(m): 2:06pm On Aug 30, 2014
Dramadiddy: practice the scale very slowly to understand the importance of the individual notes of the scale... Then increase your speed
tnx...I'll do that
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 2:49pm On Aug 30, 2014
punintended: thnx bro..diatonic scale..pls kindly expatiate on what that means
i meant practice the major and minor chords of the notes of thee major scale of whatever key you're in like.. Cmaj scale is C D E F G A B C, so the chords to practice will be Cmaj, Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, Gmaj, Amin, Bdim, like that for every key

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Gflat: 3:24pm On Aug 30, 2014
punintended: Wasup everyone. I was sooo excited wen I found this thread, however it seems everyone here is waaay ahead of me as pianists. However, I hope y'all can stoop to my level to help me.

You just mention me there
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by punintended(m): 5:13pm On Aug 30, 2014
Gflat:

You just mention me there
hehehe..coool name
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by punintended(m): 5:14pm On Aug 30, 2014
Dramadiddy: i meant practice the major and minor chords of the notes of thee major scale of whatever key you're in like.. Cmaj scale is C D E F G A B C, so the chords to practice will be Cmaj, Dmin, Emin, Fmaj, Gmaj, Amin, Bdim, like that for every key
gat it!! I appreciate bro

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by punintended(m): 5:31pm On Aug 30, 2014
gameboi: Playing with the blues scale requires quite some skill and constant practise. I'd advice you to start by trying its application with hymns. Not all songs fit into the blues scale. Songs for it are specially composed. You can also download DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE by Blind Boys of Alabama. With it, you might just have an insight into how it should be applied.
tnx bro...checking out the song ryt nw
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 6:27pm On Aug 30, 2014
punintended: tnx bro...checking out the song ryt nw
'twas played in the key of Amin with some blues feel. Try to notice the notes used in the solo part. One beautiful thing about the song is that it's purely just a keyboard's thing.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 6:56pm On Aug 30, 2014
gameboi: 'twas played in the key of Amin with some blues feel. Try to notice the notes used in the solo part. One beautiful thing about the song is that it's purely just a keyboard's thing.
ah aahn oga you like blues o! Kai!
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Joiballiz: 1:19pm On Aug 31, 2014
Anyone with an idea of a suitable piano for beginner and price? please
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Bosville(m): 2:29pm On Aug 31, 2014
I Can See We have tons of gurus in the house, I hail una O....M a nOvice in dis game nd i'll lyk soMeoNe to put me through. I've Learnt of soMe Major scales, i can play soMe songs on the piano Crappilly wit my Right hand my Left Z stil trying to catch up, i don't really knw much about d World on the Left[Bass clef] and Music theory. I knOw we have soMe talented bosses in d hauz nd i knw u can aid me out...i'll be glad as u do so.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 2:59pm On Aug 31, 2014
Joiballiz: Anyone with an idea of a suitable piano for beginner and price? please
Dramadiddy: Hello there, i suggest you go for a fully weighted fairly used piano(roland or
kurzweil) .. U can get it at 30-35k...also check if this piano has touch
response.. What i mean by touch response is the way u touch it is the way it'll
respond.. Take for instance, if you press the piano softly, it'll sound softly..
So it responds to ur touch, secondly make sure this piano is hard.. I mean the
keys.. The other thing i have to tell you is most pianos like this dont use
batteries but if u see one that uses battery, fine. The reason for u having all
this is that i assume you wanna learn and improve, if you get a piano like
gameboi suggested, when you begin getting advanced, the piano he suggested
wil not attract u anymore and you'll resort to going back to the market to
get what i just suggested to you.. Trust me ive been there... Just try alaba
and see what happens
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 3:01pm On Aug 31, 2014
Bosville: I Can See We have tons of gurus in the house, I hail una O....M a nOvice in dis game nd i'll lyk soMeoNe to put me through. I've Learnt of soMe Major scales, i can play soMe songs on the piano Crappilly wit my Right hand my Left Z stil trying to catch up, i don't really knw much about d World on the Left[Bass clef] and Music theory. I knOw we have soMe talented bosses in d hauz nd i knw u can aid me out...i'll be glad as u do so.
wah do u actually wanna be able to do
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Bosville(m): 8:05pm On Aug 31, 2014
Dramadiddy: wah do u actually wanna be able to do
tanks boSs diddy, 1. kindly explain how the bass clef is being used? 2.whats progression all about? 3. When and how do u use black keys on a pianO?. Help me answer those for nw.
Guess My Q's ain't toO much...
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 10:13pm On Aug 31, 2014
Bosville: tanks boSs diddy, 1. kindly explain how the bass clef is being used? 2.whats progression all about? 3. When and how do u use black keys on a pianO?. Help me answer those for nw.
Guess My Q's ain't toO much...
bass clef is used for playing notes or chords on the left hand, it consists the normal five lines and four spaces, the bass clef is also called the f clef.. Reason is cos d clef symbol starts on F as in the picture below, progression is a series of chord changes of which the most popular is the 2-5-1 progression, im sure you know r number system well.. On C, C-1, D-2, E-3, F-4, G-5, A-6, B-7, about the black keys... you should know that there are 12keys on the piano which includes the black keys and the 7 white keys.. When you're on key C, the maj scale formula for that is different from that of Eb or Db or Ab, although, black keys are used as accidentals, but that would only hold water in a Cmaj context,

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 10:41pm On Aug 31, 2014
Adaobi123 shouldn't this thread be on front page, ive seen the thread for drummers and guitarists on front page... How come this.. Its a pity people dont appreciate real music anymore not even knowing how the artificial one comes about..
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Bosville(m): 5:33pm On Sep 01, 2014
Dramadiddy: bass clef is used for playing notes or chords on the left hand, it consists the normal five lines and four spaces, the bass clef is also called the f clef.. Reason is cos d clef symbol starts on F as in the picture below, progression is a series of chord changes of which the most popular is the 2-5-1 progression, im sure you know r number system well.. On C, C-1, D-2, E-3, F-4, G-5, A-6, B-7, about the black keys... you should know that there are 12keys on the piano which includes the black keys and the 7 white keys.. When you're on key C, the maj scale formula for that is different from that of Eb or Db or Ab, although, black keys are used as accidentals, but that would only hold water in a Cmaj context,
thanks BosS diddy M oN it..
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 5:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
Bosville: thanks BosS diddy M oN it..
no p men
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 9:01am On Sep 02, 2014
Morning guys! Heading to my piano teacher's house today.. We have a programme called real worship coming up next month so we're trying to retouch some popular songs and come up with a nice arrangement.. When its time for the program I'll notify y'all

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (73) (Reply)

Romantic Yoruba Songs / Download Mp3: Wiz Khalifa - Something New Ft. Ty Dolla $ign / Play And Download Music Video For Free @ Www.naijamusic.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.