Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,063 members, 7,814,663 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

A Thread For Keyboardists - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Keyboardists (195617 Views)

Help Me With The Use Of Deminished Chord My Fellow Keyboardists. / Instrumentalists And Musicians (keyboardists, Drummers, Bassist: Etc) / *****all Keyboardists/pianists/interested Folks, Click Here!***** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 2:26pm On Jul 30, 2014
Everyone seems to only talk about jazz. No one is mentioning Blues scale. 'Cos I use them to play hymns.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by samhay: 9:34am On Jul 31, 2014
U don forget we wey dey elementary stage? u promised a video dis week and its almost running out.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 10:37am On Aug 02, 2014
gameboi: Everyone seems to only talk about jazz. No one is mentioning Blues scale. 'Cos I use them to play hymns.
Is blues scale not supposed to be a member of the jazz family?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 12:47pm On Aug 02, 2014
Giannakopoulos: Is blues scale not supposed to be a member of the jazz family?
not really, blues scale is more advanced and appealing than the jazz
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 12:56pm On Aug 02, 2014
gameboi: not really, blues scale is more advanced and appealing than the jazz
It should be bc blues scales are built from Jazz chords in which we have minor 3rds, flat 5,dom 7 etc,and when one plays the blues scales ,mostly its backed up by playing tritones or jazzy chords on ur left,so I know blues scales are just scales cropped from Jazz chords and its part of jazz,u be my Oga but I follo sabi dis 1 small
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 1:43pm On Aug 02, 2014
Giannakopoulos: It should be bc blues scales are built from Jazz chords in which we have minor 3rds, flat 5,dom 7 etc,and when one plays the blues scales ,mostly its backed up by playing tritones or jazzy chords on ur left,so I know blues scales are just scales cropped from Jazz chords and its part of jazz,u be my Oga but I follo sabi dis 1 small
Lol... But have you ever wondered why most keyboardist find it hard to play it?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 02, 2014
Anybody pay much attention to the modes? Especially the mixylodian?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 10:13pm On Aug 02, 2014
gameboi: Lol... But have you ever wondered why most keyboardist find it hard to play it?
Yes mostly bc jazz isn't really our culture & a listener that doesn't know music would feel you are not playing the right thing,ie most times I don't over-play by using all those chords,I limit the way I use them so as not to confuse the singer or listeners,dunno why others wouldn't play.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 11:05pm On Aug 02, 2014
Giannakopoulos: Yes mostly bc jazz isn't really our culture & a listener that doesn't know music would feel you are not playing the right thing,ie most times I don't over-play by using all those chords,I limit the way I use them so as not to confuse the singer or listeners,dunno why others wouldn't play.
yep! But I once played amazing grace in blues form for a church and the choirmaster of the church was like '' are you the one that plays the background and theme song in tom and Jerry?''

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 3:13pm On Aug 05, 2014
Giannakopoulos: pls which site apart from youtube can I download free piano lessons
sorry Mehn haven't been online for sometime.... you can check tubidy.com

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 3:16pm On Aug 05, 2014
CoolHunk: Anybody pay much attention to the modes? Especially the mixylodian?
yeah.. any questions?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 3:19pm On Aug 05, 2014
jcgodfrey:

By "based on the basics", u mean they play by the book. Partially true. Every kind of music is based on these basics, but I get your point. Jazz employs a lot of IMPROVISATION. So the way Dramadiddy plays a song will be different to the way I play the song, but listeners will knows its the same song.
Only difference is classical music seems to be "set in stone", as in, everyone plays the piece as its written. But even so, u can vary it a bit. And in some pieces, mostly towards the middle and ending, the composer introduces his own improv, and u can do urs too.
But u gotta practice a lot to be good in Jazz, and those basics, u must sabi am wella o. No be small tin. Lol. The basics are not even the hard part. Its how u combine chords, and then RHYTHM ( SYNCOPATION is a big part of rhythm in Jazz). U must learn all these things.
ehen you already know what im saying
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 05, 2014
Dramadiddy: yeah.. any questions?
When would you choose the mixylodian over the other modes (what kind of emotion would it portray)...and which chord(s) would you play to accompany the mixylodian? Thanks...
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 3:58pm On Aug 05, 2014
CoolHunk:
When would you choose the mixylodian over the other modes (what kind of emotion would it portray)...and which chord(s) would you play to accompany the mixylodian? Thanks...
errrr it depends on what what you want to portray sounds like to you... something that is generally sad might sound very happy to me... that aside, a mixolydian can be used over any mode but from the book it states that a mixolydian is used as a dominant which is the fifth degree of the scale... the chords I would like to use on as mixolydian scale would be a minor and a dominant chord.. fifths are normally used as transitions to the Ionian mode which is the one. fifth can be used as a transition from the fifth to the one to the four... which is a 5-1-4 progression.. of course you know that as degrees change, scales change...
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 05, 2014
Dramadiddy: errrr it depends on what what you want to portray sounds like to you... something that is generally sad might sound very happy to me... that aside, a mixolydian can be used over any mode but from the book it states that a mixolydian is used as a dominant which is the fifth degree of the scale... the chords I would like to use on as mixolydian scale would be a minor and a dominant chord.. fifths are normally used as transitions to the Ionian mode which is the one. fifth can be used as a transition from the fifth to the one to the four... which is a 5-1-4 progression.. of course you know that as degrees change, scales change...
Really insightful. Thanks. But I don't get what you mean by "as degrees change, scales change". I think modes are more likely to change, rather than scales when chord degrees change. I might be wrong, though. Could you know name your favourite altered/unaltered chords to replace the dominant when trying to achieve some sort of cadence? Thanks!
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 5:15pm On Aug 06, 2014
CoolHunk:
Really insightful. Thanks. But I don't get what you mean by "as degrees change, scales change". I think modes are more likely to change, rather than scales when chord degrees change. I might be wrong, though. Could you know name your favourite altered/unaltered chords to replace the dominant when trying to achieve some sort of cadence? Thanks!
as degrees change scales change, you are right and I'm also right, the mode scales are not the only scales in Music so there you have it.. chords I use to replace the dominant are the Gdom b9, Gmaj7#5, Gdom13b9, etc,.. you can work out with extensions and discover more chords... you can extend by trying out minor chords too
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 5:30pm On Aug 06, 2014
guys I've been thinking of this since... if I could make my left hand do C G Bb E, I would be able to play the largest chord extensions the same time having a full sound... although im not in Lagos now but when I get back I'll try it out
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 06, 2014
Dramadiddy: as degrees change scales change, you are right and I'm also right, the mode scales are not the only scales in Music so there you have it.. chords I use to replace the dominant are the Gdom b9, Gmaj7#5, Gdom13b9, etc,.. you can work out with extensions and discover more chords... you can extend by trying out minor chords too
Now I understand, thanks! The chords work pretty well for resolving to the tonic chord.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 6:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
CoolHunk:
Now I understand, thanks! The chords work pretty well for resolving to the tonic chord.
no problemo smiley
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 10, 2014
Pls where in lagos can I get a gud fairly used keyboard within the range of 15k-20k
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 5:00pm On Aug 10, 2014
Castroii: Pls where in lagos can I get a gud fairly used keyboard within the range of 15k-20k
alaba
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 5:05pm On Aug 10, 2014
So I'm leaving my present church now to another place that's somehow close to my house and I think it would be a good idea to tell them that I stay far away... If they know you stay around, they'll want you to come for all the services... By the way, they hold vigils every Friday.. So I need your help guys.. And the pay is nice coupled with the closeness of the church to my house
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 9:39pm On Aug 10, 2014
Dramadiddy: So I'm leaving my present church now to another place that's somehow close to my house and I think it would be a good idea to tell them that I stay far away... If they know you stay around, they'll want you to come for all the services... By the way, they hold vigils every Friday.. So I need your help guys.. And the pay is nice coupled with the closeness of the church to my house
So, you're leaving your church because this new one offers a better pay? As in, You play for money? Hmm! I comment my reserve.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 10:02pm On Aug 10, 2014
gameboi: So, you're leaving your church because this new one offers a better pay? As in, You play for money? Hmm! I comment my reserve.
you don't pay me i leave

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 12:08am On Aug 11, 2014
Dramadiddy: you don't pay me i leave
na wa oh! I've never collected money in all the churches I've played for.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by kilokeys(m): 8:12am On Aug 11, 2014
guitarists needed in a band in lagos.
acoustic guitarists, rock guitarists.
been playing for this band "christman band" for two years.
awesome fellowship. u get to minister alongside efe, ige(projectfame), olufunmi and divine boz

rehearsals has started already. contact: GIVEN - 08092455927.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 10:59am On Aug 11, 2014
gameboi: na wa oh! I've never collected money in all the churches I've played for.
Eiya
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 11:26am On Aug 11, 2014
Dramadiddy: Eiya
what do you mean by 'Eiya'? The churches I play for usually offer to pay me and I'll agree but After church service I'll disappear. There are Implications in Requesting for money to serve God. And besides the only ocassions where I collect money are during Wedding Receptions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 11:56am On Aug 11, 2014
gameboi: what do you mean by 'Eiya'? The churches I play for usually offer to pay me and I'll agree but After church service I'll disappear. There are Implications in Requesting for money to serve God. And besides the only ocassions where I collect money are during Wedding Receptions.
cool for you bro

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2014
House,how can one cope with a church sound manager(an elderly person),who knows nothing about sound and can't play any instrument but goes on to set the mixer up & down,and would NEVER accept instructions from the instrumentalists no matter what you say,is it possible to cope as a good player,knowing too well that without a good sound set-up,you may be reduced to just an average player because some skills you do (runs,straddle,even some chords etc) may not be heard by the audience.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 1:49pm On Aug 11, 2014
Giannakopoulos: House,how can one cope with a church sound manager(an elderly person),who knows nothing about sound and can't play any instrument but goes on to set the mixer up & down,and would NEVER accept instructions from the instrumentalists no matter what you say,is it possible to cope as a good player,knowing too well that without a good sound set-up,you may be reduced to just an average player because some skills you do (runs,straddle,even some chords etc) may not be heard by the audience.
lol the best thing to do is to get him to be friends with you.. That way, he would be very comfortable doing what you want...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 2:12pm On Aug 11, 2014
Dramadiddy: lol the best thing to do is to get him to be friends with you.. That way, he would be very comfortable doing what you want...
We are friends but nothing works

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (73) (Reply)

Romantic Yoruba Songs / Download Mp3: Wiz Khalifa - Something New Ft. Ty Dolla $ign / Play And Download Music Video For Free @ Www.naijamusic.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.