Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,367 members, 7,819,319 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' (21352 Views)

Jide Macaulay, Nigerian Gay Pastor Writes Letter To Homophobes With Bible Quotes / Catholic Bishop Of Aba Diocese Most Rev Vincent Ezeonyia Passes On. / Monsignor Matthew Hassan Kukah Now Catholic Bishop Of Sokoto Diocese (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Vansnickers: 6:00am On Jul 16, 2014
Bennyberry: U CAN GO ND DIE.WHO CARES ABT U MAKING HEAVEN OR NOT.#proudofyourfoolishness
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by lordmayor4(m): 6:02am On Jul 16, 2014
AND OTHER BISHOPS ARE TURNING TO HIM FOR GUIDANCE, MEANING THEY ARE GAYS? undecided embarassed iDunno.....

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 6:02am On Jul 16, 2014
beryl04:
Catholic Bishop: Antigay Attitudes 'Sick' and 'Heartless'
Mexican bishop Raúl Vera once again speaks out strongly on behalf of LGBT people.
BY TRUDY RING
JULY 15 2014 3:00 PM ET

Bishop Raúl Vera
Mexican bishop Raúl Vera, one of the strongest advocates for LGBT people within the Roman Catholic Church, is speaking out again, this time saying, “People who say homosexuals are sick are sick themselves.”
Vera, the bishop of Saltillo in northern Mexico, made the statement in an interview published Monday in the Spanish and Latin American newspaper El País. He did not go so far as to endorse same-sex marriage, but he took a more progressive stance than is common in his church.
The interviewer said, “Not long ago you baptized the daughter of a lesbian couple. What do you think about homosexuality?” Vera responded, “That is a topic that we have refused to address. The people who say homosexuals are sick are sick themselves. The Church needs to come to them not with condemnation, but with dialogue. We cannot cancel out a person’s richness just because of his or her sexual preference. That is sick, that is heartless, that is lacking common sense.”
The church’s official stance is that LGBT people deserve respect and compassion, but it strongly opposes homosexual acts and same-sex marriage.
Vera also took a stance, similar to Pope Francis’s, that opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage should not be the church’s only priorities. He said he considers abortion murder, but added, “Abortion, just like same-sex marriage, has served us [as] subterfuge to tell ourselves that we in the Church have our morals. It is very easy to go against a woman who has an abortion, it poses no trouble and we have support from the ultraconservative right. When there was a national campaign against abortion here, I organized rosary recitations to reflect on the defense of the lives of migrants, miners and women as well as the unborn. But we are hypocrites. It would seem that the only moral rules deal with condemning same-sex couples and abortions. You do that and you’re the perfect Christian.”
El País notes that in the past, Vera’s advocacy for oppressed people, including gay people and the poor, had gotten him into trouble with the church’s hierarchy. In 2011, when John Paul II was pope, the Vatican investigated Vera’s work with a gay group. But much has changed under Pope Francis’s leadership.
“For a long time, Raúl Vera was the Catholic Church’s black sheep, the old-fashioned left-winger,” the article reads. “But that was until the ideological earthquake represented by the new pope, Francis I, gave renewed relevance to his words. Now, other bishops are suddenly turning to Vera for guidance.”
[b][/b]
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 6:06am On Jul 16, 2014
beryl04:
Mexican bishop Raúl Vera once again speaks out strongly on behalf of LGBT people.
BY TRUDY RING

Bishop Raúl Vera
Mexican bishop Raúl Vera, one of the strongest advocates for LGBT people within the Roman Catholic Church, is speaking out again, this time saying, “People who say homosexuals are sick are sick themselves.”
Vera, the bishop of Saltillo in northern Mexico, made the statement in an interview published Monday in the Spanish and Latin American newspaper El País. He did not go so far as to endorse same-sex marriage, but he took a more progressive stance than is common in his church.
The interviewer said, “Not long ago you baptized the daughter of a lesbian couple. What do you think about homosexuality?” Vera responded, “That is a topic that we have refused to address. The people who say homosexuals are sick are sick themselves. The Church needs to come to them not with condemnation, but with dialogue. We cannot cancel out a person’s richness just because of his or her sexual preference. That is sick, that is heartless, that is lacking common sense.”
The church’s official stance is that LGBT people deserve respect and compassion, but it strongly opposes homosexual acts and same-sex marriage.
Vera also took a stance, similar to Pope Francis’s, that opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage should not be the church’s only priorities. He said he considers abortion murder, but added, “Abortion, just like same-sex marriage, has served us [as] subterfuge to tell ourselves that we in the Church have our morals. It is very easy to go against a woman who has an abortion, it poses no trouble and we have support from the ultraconservative right. When there was a national campaign against abortion here, I organized rosary recitations to reflect on the defense of the lives of migrants, miners and women as well as the unborn. But we are hypocrites. It would seem that the only moral rules deal with condemning same-sex couples and abortions. You do that and you’re the perfect Christian.”
El País notes that in the past, Vera’s advocacy for oppressed people, including gay people and the poor, had gotten him into trouble with the church’s hierarchy. In 2011, when John Paul II was pope, the Vatican investigated Vera’s work with a gay group. But much has changed under Pope Francis’s leadership.
“For a long time, Raúl Vera was the Catholic Church’s black sheep, the old-fashioned left-winger,” the article reads. “But that was until the ideological earthquake represented by the new pope, Francis I, gave renewed relevance to his words. Now, other bishops are suddenly turning to Vera for guidance.”
[b][/b] 2011? Really? John Paul II died in 2004

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Blockus: 6:09am On Jul 16, 2014
heheheheheheheheeee

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by CharlieMaria(m): 6:11am On Jul 16, 2014
Panter215: Times are changing and we should not stand still. I agree with him that this gay thing should not the only focus for Christians. In Nigeria Christian nowadays join in the vises ripping our country dry (corruption, kidnapping, oppression e.t.c) and do not see or make issues out of it. Lets focus on the issues the should change our lives and all the other vises will disappear.

And you think if you don't stand out and condemn abominations like homosexuality that vices will decrease? You are in for the worst mistake, because sins like those cry out to God for vengeance on the world.
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by CharlieMaria(m): 6:15am On Jul 16, 2014
texanomaly: What is LGBT?
Let's Go Back Today. grin
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by yerimastyle(m): 6:20am On Jul 16, 2014
every one has d rights to live his or her life d way dey want as far as u don't hurt others with what u are doing how does it affect me wen two pple behind their closed doors doing themselves s, sin is sin u hypocrites just like what Jesus said. no sin is too big neither to small in d sight of God, Hating gays is sickening and y are u guys afraid of gay pple? to me dey are not treats to me, hate the homosexuality act not the homosexuals. for all have sinned. if ur haters of of LGBT means ur not different from the dreaded sect BOKO HAram

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by adedayourt(m): 6:30am On Jul 16, 2014
lepasharon: Christianity of today ? grin...A big JOKE ! This is why im not a christian.

May u find your free gift of salvation soonest
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 6:30am On Jul 16, 2014
Nigerians are hilariously hypocritical. So hilarious it makes me sick.
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 6:35am On Jul 16, 2014
jayseehe: this man is sick. doesn't he have a bible
haven't you seen the documentary where another Bishop said the Bible shouldn't be the only reference book for Christianity and decisions can be taken without making reference to what it says about it.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by adedayourt(m): 6:37am On Jul 16, 2014
Jbenue: If the Catholic church is not carefull they will end up like the Anglican Church a watered down version of christianity who are sometimes scared to aknowledge God himself

Christ, I know to be the Judge of all, denomination inclusive

Who or what gave you the Power to cast such misplaced words on The Anglican communion I don't kno
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Dogzimalon: 6:38am On Jul 16, 2014
My people i dont Listen to them Bishops again i read my Bible and Pray to God pn my own. Gabadaya

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by victorazy(m): 6:41am On Jul 16, 2014
blink182: haven't you seen the documentary where another Bishop said the Bible shouldn't be the only reference book for Christianity and decisions can be taken without making reference to what it says about it.

shocked u mean a christian said this? shocked
The world is coming to an end true ture!
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by ehispapa(m): 6:49am On Jul 16, 2014
Nairaland disappoint again....They just put up a story without source because its against a particular religion. This story is fake!!
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Wan47(m): 6:49am On Jul 16, 2014
lepasharon: Christianity of today ? grin...A big JOKE ! This is why im not a christian.
dats nt y u ar nt a xtain
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Opusy: 6:50am On Jul 16, 2014
Jbenue: If the Catholic church is not carefull they will end up like the Anglican Church a watered down version of christianity who are sometimes scared to aknowledge God himself

Hello U̶̲̥̅̊ sha amuse ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥. What has D̶̲̥̅̊ Anglican church got 2 do with D̶̲̥̅̊ topic of discussion? If we talk abt been scared 2 acknowledge God then U̶̲̥̅̊ should have a rethink cos they don't pray thru channels 2 get dia request 2 God. LGBT has nofn 2 do with a particular church, it Iڪ an individual fn.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by HerexG(m): 6:54am On Jul 16, 2014
Religion has stolen the free will of man and hereby disorganizing the minds of most men most especially in Africa, they now see you as an outcast if you don't belong to one. Is religion the only criteria to live right or to live a moral life ? Anytime morality is mentioned they are quick to run to a religious book.

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by lilmax(m): 6:54am On Jul 16, 2014
seriously?his opinion though
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 6:56am On Jul 16, 2014
I think most people here didn't read the content of this news but the header alone, smh.
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 16, 2014
victorazy:

shocked u mean a christian said this? shocked
The world is coming to an end true ture!
It was said like 6 years or more back.
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 16, 2014
beryl04:
BY TRUDY RING

Bishop Raúl Vera
next time you bring a false news into this forum, you should be banned.
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by stripper: 7:01am On Jul 16, 2014
joke
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Jaywilzee(m): 7:02am On Jul 16, 2014
Pope john paul 2nd wasn't the pope in 2011,,,so where did u get this news from?
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by 573V31D(m): 7:03am On Jul 16, 2014
Vera's stance is clear...let us not be hypocrites who thinks they have become holy by mere condemnation of the sinful...abscounding more vital issues of the christian faith...though vera might be doing it the wrong way; support for gay rights.
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by jericco1(m): 7:04am On Jul 16, 2014
Well what can I say? He's just promoting the ''LGBT'' I wonder what version of bible he reads...
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Wislet(f): 7:04am On Jul 16, 2014
End up like the Anglican church, how?
In case you do not know, the Anglican church in Nigeria separated itself from the actions of the western church and its leaders. They are not ready to accept homosexuality as a normal thing, so do not be quick to condemn before getting your facts.
As for the catholic church being careful, from the way I see it, they (as a congregation) are too docile to voice out their displeasure on the actions of their pope.
God says, "Do not condemn". Yes. But it is not condemnation to realize that a 'leader' in the household of God shouldn't be encouraged to say, "there's nothing wrong with homosexuality". The same homosexuality that God came down himself to destroy a whole nation of people for (sodom and gomorrah) in case we've forgotten. Let us not abuse the fact that God does not punish sin as fast as He did before the coming of Christ. Let us not take GRACE for granted. The same way God hated sin in the past, that's the same way He does today- that hasn't changed. The catholics haven't spoken against the utterances of their pope as the Anglicans did to the western church and separated themselves from them and their teachings. Their silence reminds me of the Jewish leaders during the time of Christ who the people followed sheepishly...who seeing their actions, Christ said, "They do not want to make heaven, yet they do not want to make way for others to do so". Let us not deceive ourselves- the heavenly race is every man for himself. No one will tell God, "it was what my pope taught me, it was what my priest/pastor taught me". Your actions will be for you to answer for yourself alone. NO ONE will take the blame for you. Because HIS WORD is there for you to read FOR YOURSELF.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by mufex(m): 7:07am On Jul 16, 2014
Nigerians are so homophobic. Anti-gay really annoys me. They are very sickening. I must say, extremely hypocritical. When I meet someone for the first time and I really want to know the person I look at his or her demeanors such as; honesty, humor, kindness, talents. His or her sexual preference is the least I care to know.I don't give a dime who he or she is bleeping.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by wayne4loan: 7:07am On Jul 16, 2014
beryl04:
BY TRUDY RING

Bishop Raúl Vera
bishop on point , gays are sick set of people that needs help spiritually (church or babalawo things) and physically(hard rest with better pako and koboko)
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 16, 2014
hummerwise: Bishop?

Certainly the devil has left the sinners and now facing the righteous squarely,

Its now beginning

I am catholic and OP doesn't even have a SOURCE.

But, what do you mean by this statement?

Bishop message is clear "hate the act and don't hate the person"

Bible said "Love your neighbour as yourself" and when you go against that, you should know that you're ending in the same pit of hell with homosexuals.

You gerrit? undecided
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by texanomaly(f): 7:17am On Jul 16, 2014
CharlieMaria:
Let's Go Back Today. grin

Haha very funny... undecided

I'm serious. I guess "L" and "G" are lesbian and gay. What is the rest?
Re: Catholic Bishop Calls Homophobes 'sick' by jeffoe(m): 7:18am On Jul 16, 2014
In 2011, when John Paul II
was pope, the Vatican investigated Vera’s work
with a gay group.
smell something fishing john Paul died way before 2011.
@the topic, the pontiff reminds us to build bridges and not wall, it is the sick that needs the doctor not the healthy, if the hospital door is closed against the sick, then I don't know what to think,
the church is ever growing and the holy spirit is continually at work within the church.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? / TB Joshua: SCOAN Worshippers Celebrate Founder’s First Memorial, Legacies. / How Can Jesus Give Everlasting Life To Immortal Beings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.