Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming (37695 Views)

EXCLUSIVE: OLX Nigeria Reacts To Missing 3 Oyekoya Kids / 4 Ways To Identify "SCAMMERS" On Most Online Market Platform Like OLX Nigeria / OLX Nigeria: Only 40% Of Ads Are Legitimate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by AdelokikiMr(m): 9:21am On Jul 20, 2014
saxywale:
It's not always the case, some sellers do sell their properties at dirt cheap price. It's for the buyer to mitigate his own risk.
. That's True aswell smiley

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by justi4jesu(f): 9:34am On Jul 20, 2014
Just be smart its and advice not to fall for scam.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Shinor(m): 9:35am On Jul 20, 2014
WOW. Why do we Nigerians love to beat ourselves over the head so much? Yes there are issues with this site and as honest Nigerians we want a transparent and honest system to trade on but there are many sites abroad that are just like OLX. One of them is www.gumtree.com In the UK gumtree users have suffered exactly the same kind of losses that people have suffered on OLX but I have not heard the British calling themselves a country of scammers. We need to be careful as to how we describe ourselves on social networking sites.
All said it would be great for OLX to improve it's security features.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by rhemal: 9:51am On Jul 20, 2014
just be careful with your money online
or offline cos alot of scammers are looking for whom to devour. so be wise.....

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by colossus2: 10:01am On Jul 20, 2014
olanshi: @ OP..

Na your type they price cars that usually sells around 2m naira for 600K... So you are very greedy and gullible.. Sorry for your lose, more on..

My people say, "All day for the thief but one day for the owner"

Baba how autos section nau. Hope say you still dey pursue all those scammers comot.
Admin just kill my morale for that section so I no dey bother visit there again. More grease to your elbow bro
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Abduletudaye(m): 10:03am On Jul 20, 2014
Swiftboy: Am so sure I cant use OLX for the fear of being rubbed by my customer. What if the other guy collect it on gun point? That buyer meet seller thing is a total flaw true. A selling site should protect users from possible fraud as much as possible.

Olx aint that bad tho'. I just sold my android there.. And this aint the first time..
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by ewizard1: 10:06am On Jul 20, 2014
Hahaha ... Once i need to change my Phone, the first thing that comes on my mind is OLX. Yes, i have bought so many deals on OLX, you just have to be careful, i never got scammed and will never.

I cant tell on somewhere else ooo, on OLX, I cant! Sometimes, i purposely call the scammer to give them Curses of Life.

Simple Key - Dont pay anything till you meet the seller. It has always worked for me.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Abduletudaye(m): 10:09am On Jul 20, 2014
Oboi..Olx could be a scam for whoever that falls fro cheap stuff there..

Altho' am abit puzzled about something else I discovered. I saw this ad on FB, the person claims to be selling UK used items and based in AbJ too..

So I called to verify for BOLD5. She said it was 10K shocked..

I was shocked to also hear the amount of other phones.

But she said if the phone was to be sent to me in Lagos, I would need to pay for the transport of the phone(thru her account) and then pay on delivery to whoever brings it.. So pls guys, could this be a Scam too? Advices pls..
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 20, 2014
godwinony: About a month ago i bought a samsung galaxy s4 mini for 20k from a seller on olx. About 2 days into using the phone, i discovered it was a fake s4 mini..no 3g and low ram..i quickly sold it back online for 23k..made a little profit on the fake poo.
sharpest guy...lol
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by justi4jesu(f): 10:12am On Jul 20, 2014
Abduletudaye: Oboi..Olx could be a scam for whoever that falls fro cheap stuff there..

Altho' am abit puzzled about something else I discovered. I saw this ad on FB, the person claims to be selling UK used items and based in AbJ too..

So I called to verify for BOLD5. She said it was 10K shocked..

I was shocked to also hear the amount of other phones.

But she said if the phone was to be sent to me in Lagos, I would need to pay for the transport of the phone(thru her account) and then pay on delivery to whoever brings it.. So pls guys, could this be a Scam too? Advices pls..

lolz....you better find a phone to buy within your state, no one can tell you if it is scam or not.

Deposit at your own risk.

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Abduletudaye(m): 10:25am On Jul 20, 2014
justi4jesu:

lolz....you better find a phone to buy within your state, no one can tell you if it is scam or not.

Deposit at your own risk.

But the transport money is 2K..

Any ideas? Make I risk am? undecided
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by azpekuliar: 10:29am On Jul 20, 2014
I have the following items for sale.

Neatly used Sony Playstation 4 (2 units); N79,000 each.

http://shomolu./price-reduced-n79k-mint-ps4-for-quick-sale-iid-672078482

Neatly used Apple 4th Gen iPod Nano 8GB; N15,000

http://shomolu./mint-8gb-ipod-nano-for-sale-iid-675880324
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Adinije(f): 10:30am On Jul 20, 2014
technophile: I don't Know what is wrong with Nigerians, Every opportunity they see like this the use it to scam. I can assure you that 90% of those buying/selling at OLX are scammers. Imagine a laptop worth over 200,000 will be sold for 70k and some fools too will still fall for it.

I wonder if there have been any successful transaction at OLX.
Of course there have been successful transcation on olx. Myself for instance have sold more 10 phones on olx.(P.OD) Reason why pple get scammed is GREED. So pple wanna samsung s4 for 27k. why won't they get scammed.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by justi4jesu(f): 10:33am On Jul 20, 2014
Abduletudaye:

But the transport money is 2K..

Any ideas? Make I risk am? undecided

lol...abeg leave me jare..na u sabi..risk na grin

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kheart(m): 10:41am On Jul 20, 2014
i was also scam just last week and can u believe d scammer even had guts to demand more from me, d 11k (part payment) he swindle from me aint enof for him. plz if there is any law enforcement agent on dis thread dat will help me deal wit the buffon cos is more like he s stalking me. His name is Bayo Ayorinde 08164032111, 09032576079 stays in badagry olx users beware of did dude.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kheart(m): 10:46am On Jul 20, 2014
Adinije: Of course there have been successful transcation on olx. Myself for instance have sold more 10 phones on olx.(P.OD) Reason why pple get scammed is GREED. So pple wanna samsung s4 for 27k. why won't they get scammed.
what has dat got to do wit it, a friend of mine sold cam coda worth 40k for 24k and he send d package to d buyer wen he reciv alert of d payment. d thing is d only growing industry in nja has always been corruption (all form of it).
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by segzicres(m): 10:56am On Jul 20, 2014
OLX is basic really, I sold my old car and bought another on there. So I'm wondering how people get scammed. :s. Just go with a witness and you are good.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by kheart(m): 11:03am On Jul 20, 2014
jayseehe: I sell on OLX and I don't scam.

my ads are relatively cheaper on OLX because of the competition there...
it's higher on other sites with less competition

it is not just OLX, people are being scammed here (Nairaland) too

being scammed depends on you, why should you send money to someone without getting and testing the goods?
what happened to local pickup or pay on delivery?

FYI, I have seen situations where sellers are scammed by buyers on OLX, after delivery of the goods, the buyer will refuse to pay...

OP, don't spoil the reputation of that site, because of some people's gullibility.... I need the site so much, I buy and sell there

if you are afraid of being scammed, try Kaymu.com.ng kaymu offers escrow service
pay via kaymu SafePay, that way, the seller won't receive the money until the goods have been delivered to you and you are satisfied with it.

by the way, you can purchase from my online store @ kaymu....
use SafePay and pay with your debit(ATM) card
http://www.kaymu.com.ng/seller/don-juan/

Google Kaymu SafePay to know more about it...
you can call it Nigerian EBay version
i saw an item dat am interested on, i just hope it s pay on delivery sha.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by maasoap(m): 11:21am On Jul 20, 2014
I bought my system through olx, no sweat. The seller came to Osogbo from kwara state. I took an engineer with me to test it before paying. Gateway system, 320 gig hard disk, 6 gig ram. Window 7, upgraded to 8.1 but with broken edges as a of falling on hard surfaces, price: N35000.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by BossTtdiamonds(m): 11:25am On Jul 20, 2014
80% of OLX deals are scams. The ridiculous prices they post lure a lotta people to fallin' for such scams & I think I'll take it upon myself to start exposin' tis' scammers.
A time ago, I saw a deal on OLX "A brand new BB Z10 for 20K". Initially I thought the seller bought it brand new and it probably got broken so wants to sell it for parts.
When I called him, I asked first what happened to the phone, the scammer told me nothin' that they get it for cheap and they sell for cheap. I said are you serious..?? I asked for his location and he told me apapa..*not far from where I stay*..
I got to Airways at apapa and told him to come meet me at slot since it's a good public place.. He told me to come to First Bank instead, I was like well that's even more secure.
When I got to First Bank he sent me his account number and told me to pay the money to his account and bring the teller to a place he will tell me. *For him mind, I be mugu* I was like "You be God".. "Guy I no be Abraham oh", I told him I cant do that. He kept on persuadin' me, so I went to the customer care desk and reported the case tellin' them to blacklist the guys number for fraudulent activities. The CC told me that's not enough evidence, I told em' I was gonna get em' more. I did manage to finally get them enough evidence they em'selves confirmed as scams but still they didn't blacklist or stepdown his account.

Here's some details I was able to pull off his person:
Name: Omoike Moses
Bank: First Bank
Account no: 3083604004
Phone Numbers: 08176465195, 08154670532, 07031179714..
his Picture is attached below... The id.iot even had the guts to call me later to ask if I truly made the payment..

5 Likes

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 20, 2014
The day i ran a car search on OLX and saw a neat Venza for 650k, i gave up undecided

1 Like

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by jayseehe(m): 11:36am On Jul 20, 2014
kheart: i saw an item dat am interested on, i just hope it s pay on delivery sha.
what item?
what's your location?
pay on delivery is available in only few States
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by nastydamus(m): 11:40am On Jul 20, 2014
Beware of Sunny Akande (not sure it's his real name) with phone number: 09033497542.
He runs his scams using the bank account below:

Bank : Fidelity Bank
Account Name: Ahmed Yusuf Bello
Account Number : 6233998997

If it sounds too good to be true, run first and ask questions later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by BossTtdiamonds(m): 11:54am On Jul 20, 2014
I think it's a good thin' if we all post the details of the scammers if we have them...
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by biz2get(m): 11:58am On Jul 20, 2014
BOOKED cheesy
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by drnairalov: 11:59am On Jul 20, 2014
na so i put my clean big daddy 03 camry up 4 sale..one mumu say 500k last..smh..may d scam continue ...i kukuma no sell again dey use my thing dey go...mtscheeew!!! when all u want is ridiculous cheap price u dont need a sooth sayer to tell somethin is wrong anywayz camry bigdaddy and cheap still up 4 sale mail me if interested
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by eluquenson(m): 12:15pm On Jul 20, 2014
When I searched for a golf 3 car on old, I saw 4 different sellers with different numbers used the same picture of the vehicle.
I called one of them he told me the car is at badagry, I just told him to bone.
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Barayeks(m): 12:15pm On Jul 20, 2014
Anybody who gets scammed via OLX is plain stupid .... I'm sick of seeing these kinda topics
how hard is it.....MEET THE SELLER AT A PUBLIC PLACE....AND EXCHANGE CASH FOR GOODS (after making sure its in good condition)

If you do anything outside that and get scammed....then you should leave "OLX" out of your topic
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by youngice(m): 12:26pm On Jul 20, 2014
Okuda:

You see its not even about trying to adapt something western..there are underlying foundations that made things work abroad and thats why its very easy to manage alot of things..first of all i think every nigerian should have a social security number..this is the first step in putting alot of crap in order in this country
we have already and its called NIN
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by odutolasodiq(m): 12:41pm On Jul 20, 2014
Benop: Good day pals.

I saw the advert on TV mid last year on the online platform OLX and decided to have a look at it. I got to even download the mobile app on my phone, was interested in buying a car and on opening that section I was amazed on the cheap rates they put the cars for sale.

I got involved with one of the dealers who said he was selling Nigerian Customs auctioned cars.

To cut the story short, I ended up being scamed and many are still being scammed today. embarassed

Is there any hope of recovering the money?

Can these scammers be stopped from ripping the general public?

Do OLX managers know every user of their site and are they aware of this?

I will appreciate your kind responses please!!!
scamming on olx depends on u buyer, i bought goods worth of over 200k for around 80k witout being scammed. Dis tips should help: 1. Target sellers around lekki, ajah if u resides in lagos, resident in this areas can sell goods of 100k for 20k( i am talkin from experience). 2. Sellers around apapa,badagry,lagos island west are mostly scammers(u can verify dis by checking d picture of their goods its mostly internet pictures and not that of d goods they want to sell
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by Okuda(m): 12:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
youngice: we have already and its called NIN

Lol..where is it?
Re: OLX Nigeria And So Much Scamming by odutolasodiq(m): 12:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
odutolasodiq: scamming on olx depends on u buyer, i bought goods worth of over 200k for around 80k witout being scammed. Dis tips should help: 1. Target sellers around lekki, ajah if u resides in lagos, resident in this areas can sell goods of 100k for 20k( i am talkin from experience). 2. Sellers around apapa,badagry,lagos island west are mostly scammers(u can verify dis by checking d picture of their goods its mostly internet pictures and not that of d goods they want to sell
3. Dont buy untested goods, dont send money witout seeing ur goods( their are pay on delivery retailers if u wish 2 buy new goods e.g. Konga and jumia. Hope dis tips would help

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This One No Be Money: Fuel Reseller Rejects 100 Dollar Bill Given To Him (Video) / What Is The Difference Btw Treasury Bill And Fixed Deposit / Commissioning Of Dangote Refinery - (Live Video, Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.