Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,920 members, 7,952,696 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:27 PM

The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry (10268 Views)

Nigeria’s Film Industry Reflects The Messy Process Of Nation Building / The Revolution In Nigeria Film (del York International) (new York Film Academy / Is Eric Nwadinobi The Best In The Nigeria Film World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by lynx200(m): 10:42am On Jul 21, 2014
I was at a film makers conference in Awka, Anambra state on Saturday and what I heard there about film making shocked me. For starters the various guilds of film practitioners in Eastern Nigeria usually disrupt film shoots if they find out that any of the artistes, directors, producers or crew men are not members of their local chapter of the guilds. They go to the extent of being violent and involving the police. At times the guild top men dictate what artistes should be on a directors set. Nothing of such happens in the other parts of the country and the funny thing is that the guilds are not legally sanctioned to do this so it can be legally termed harassment. Read the full article here http://www.jovibabs.com/the-wild-wild-east/

Please note that this is an opportunity for frank discussion and not tribal bashing so I will not tolerate any ethnic jingoism here.

7 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Noneroone(m): 11:11am On Jul 21, 2014
You have obviously set the stage for the ethnic bashing which you claim to be averting.

12 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by VillageBoi(m): 4:51pm On Jul 21, 2014
Noneroone: You have obviously set the stage for the ethnic bashing which you claim to be averting.
No he hasn't. He's asking the valid question "Why is this happening in the East?" It's so easy for anyone to contribute without the 'ethnic bashing'. Personally I'm surprised to hear how ridiculous they are making things in the East... and yes I am Igbo.

6 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 22, 2014
Unionism itself is a certain kind of evil.

7 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 22, 2014
Too bad

1 Like

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 22, 2014
That's an unfair thing to do. its definitely harassment! undecided cry
Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Smartlux(m): 6:54am On Jul 22, 2014
i dey come,,, make i brush... cheesy
Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Glaxx(m): 6:54am On Jul 22, 2014
These cliqs start with a few beef issuses from producers. When the issuess escalate, it's not unlikely to witness divissions in the same guilds, forming new guilds and the tradition of unacceptance is propagated without consideration to the origin.

1 Like

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Smartsyn(m): 6:56am On Jul 22, 2014
It's because so many wise men comes from the east..

3 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Noneroone(m): 7:01am On Jul 22, 2014
VillageBoi:
No he hasn't. He's asking the valid question "Why is this happening in the East?" It's so easy for anyone to contribute without the 'ethnic bashing'. Personally I'm surprised to hear how ridiculous they are making things in the East... and yes I am Igbo.
Read the original title of the thread again.

2 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by fm7070: 7:03am On Jul 22, 2014
Noneroone: You have obviously set the stage for the ethnic bashing which you claim to be averting.

I wonder why people will leave important issues raised and they will start irrelevant tribal, religious or ethnic matters which in most cases does not address the question. They are doing something bad somewhere, all you could say was tribal bashing

These are the instrument of woes in Nigeria: Ethnic and religious sentiment and it is preventing us from facing our problems realistically.

7 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by chaberry(m): 7:04am On Jul 22, 2014
Team spacebookers
Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by uken73(m): 7:22am On Jul 22, 2014
Local champions. The attitude that prevents professionalism. So if there is a better producer or actor, he can't be engaged just because of origin. Doesn't make sense.

1 Like

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by seunoni34(m): 7:23am On Jul 22, 2014
biafransoul: But they learnt it from the South West abi na west where even food sellers or barbers are not allowed to operate unless they are members of their stupid association. Go to the parks, they have their agbero and Chairman. You want to start anything, you must join their association. Abi na lie?
South West? Are you okay?

2 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by eaglechild: 7:28am On Jul 22, 2014
lynx200: I was at a film makers conference in Awka, Anambra state on Saturday and what I heard there about film making shocked me. For starters the various guilds of film practitioners in Eastern Nigeria usually disrupt film shoots if they find out that any of the artistes, directors, producers or crew men are not members of their local chapter of the guilds. They go to the extent of being violent and involving the police. At times the guild top men dictate what artistes should be on a directors set. Nothing of such happens in the other parts of the country and the funny thing is that the guilds are not legally sanctioned to do this so it can be legally termed harassment. Read the full article here http://www.jovibabs.com/the-wild-wild-east/

Please note that this is an opportunity for frank discussion and not tribal bashing so I will not tolerate any ethnic jingoism here.

No need for the bolded statement.

It just makes your hypocrisy all the more obvious.

When you say "wild wild east" what do you expect.

8 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by dont8(m): 7:28am On Jul 22, 2014
Did he forced you to comment? If the topic of discourse is above your reasoning, you zoom!
michelz: Rub.bish Thread! Useless Topic

2 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 22, 2014
biafransoul: But they learnt it from the South West abi na west where even food sellers or barbers are not allowed to operate unless they are members of their stupid association. Go to the parks, they have their agbero and Chairman. You want to start anything, you must join their association. Abi na lie?
Why can't you brainless dolts get the name 'south west' out of your mouth, any topic or thread on nairaland, you must say something about us. Dem use South west swear for una? I can swear that the senseless buffoon I'm quoting was birthed in South west, he currently lives in SW, his dad met his mum is a Yoruba land, virtually all his miserable life revolves around SW, yet he comes online to bash the same people and region that made him what he is today. E-diots! angry The thread is about Igbos and the movie industry, why come here to start bashing the Yoruba if not for the fact that you are innately insane.

36 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 22, 2014
I don't even know what to term my people again sef.

2 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by dridowu: 7:38am On Jul 22, 2014
Good Morning Nigerians
That same "South Waste West" is where your people are flooding to everyday.
That same "South Waste West" is where your people are trying to claim.
That same "South Waste West" is where most of your people are making their living.
That same "South Waste West" is where most of your popular figure are based.
That same "South Waste West" is where your people are welcome with open hand.
In a 12 calendar month your people will rather stay in South Waste West for 11months
and will only spend 1month in their home town for the reason best known to them.

29 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by ichidodo: 7:38am On Jul 22, 2014
This here is a sly, subtle and cowardly dig at whittling down the powers of the igbo with regards to the Nigerian movie industry,ofcourse realizing the extent of their stake,which by the way is enormous or just sheer monopoly, one could try speculate who else will or can benefit from this futile try at mass generalizations,character assasinations and smear campaign.....ofcourse our nearest dear competitors in the South West..

7 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 22, 2014
Apart from the South West part... You have said it all... There is no part of the country where the ''association thing'' does not exist... So OP.. Ur using the east as an example just shows how biased you are and what u intend to achieve from opening this thread... I hope you'd be online when the ''hate message'' starts.

5 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 22, 2014
And you wonder why nothing ever works in Nigeria? Tribalism is the order of the day.
It is everywhere, not just in the east.
Have you ever seen an igbo man directing an hausa movie?
Nwanne such is life in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Emilord(m): 7:51am On Jul 22, 2014
That you witnessed a particular incident doesnt mean that it is general in East.Even at that,na we still get Nollywood,without us my dear,there won't be Nollywood.is aint boasting but d fact(res ipsa loquitur(

1 Like

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Noneroone(m): 7:52am On Jul 22, 2014
fm7070:

I wonder why people will leave important issues raised and they will start irrelevant tribal, religious or ethnic matters which in most cases does not address the question. They are doing something bad somewhere, all you could say was tribal bashing

These are the instrument of woes in Nigeria: Ethnic and religious sentiment and it is preventing us from facing our problems realistically.
I read sometime ago that yoruba movie producers cast upcoming actors without paying them. They promise to pay them in subsequent productions. That is exploitation, yet all the op could see was "wild wild East", and you say i am tribalistic? Abeg park well.

3 Likes

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by ayusco85(m): 7:53am On Jul 22, 2014
This none my business. I don't watch nigerian movies.

*sips his hot lipton tea without milk*

1 Like

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by Emilord(m): 7:54am On Jul 22, 2014
And ofcourse,there is only one WWW that we all know,and that is in the West.

1 Like

Re: The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry by lynx200(m): 7:54am On Jul 22, 2014
I didn't want to respond to some of the immature posts going by the background check I did on most of the posters but I have been forced to comment. I put up a topic that could help bring attention to an illegality happening in a part of the country and all most of you can do is engage in ethnic bashing? No wonder nothing gets solved in this country. What a shame! Did any of you even read the article? There are issues in the film industry nationwide and I decided to bring out one and yet you all abandon the issue and chase fluff. In a time when most of the world is engaging in collaborations across different divides you are all being ethnic jingoists. I fear for the future of this country. cry

No one can take away the fact that the Nollywood phenomenon originated in the East but when such brigandry happen it stifles the whole movie industry in the East. Ever wondered why there are no good cinema films coming from the East? This is one reason. There are even many indigenes who want nothing to do with the industry and head to Lagos. If this continues there might not be any film industry in Eastern Nigeria any more. Those who I directed the issue at understand the issues at stake (thank you for your enlightened comments,you know yourselves) so I stand by my topic. Until we start facing the real issues in this country and taking responsibility instead of chasing shadows and blaming government officials (who are just a reflection of us as a people) and ethnicity this country is going nowhere.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Download Free Foreign Movies? / The Village Headmaster Returns To TV / Jenifa Babe: Nollywood Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.