Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,398 members, 7,812,171 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? (22431 Views)

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by steppin: 10:59am On Jul 22, 2014
OrangeDream: Tory tory..Na una dey spoil dis country wit tribalism..Later,na una go b d same pple wey go dey complain say Nigeria no good
have you noticed that your posts comes with only one like? It simply means thousands of members viewing and posting in this thread disagrees with you, except for the guy dashing out the like.

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by ddeola: 11:01am On Jul 22, 2014
Na so o. As parents, we must make a conscious effort to ensure that our children don't lose our precious dialects. The western world is taking pride in the fact that their own local dialects are being internationalized while our own people are ashamed of their own language.

As a rule, in my house we speak Yoruba to the children and English from time to time
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Vicfus(m): 11:06am On Jul 22, 2014
No Regret! Must I speak my dialect.... I am from a "minority" ethnic group and my language is not a generally spoken one. Atleast, from d three major Languages in Nigeria I can speak and write Yoruba to some extent; let say 85%. If I'm to learn any language it will be from d major languages biko..
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: wat do u think i said? smiley
something about school
i think you said if i went to school
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
something about school
i think you said if i went to school
I knew
I sed are you schooling there?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: I knew
I sed are you schooling there?
yes i am
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by chemmerfrank(m): 11:24am On Jul 22, 2014
I can speak to an extent...and no regrets...cus I dnt like looking back and sayin had I known..I face life head on
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 22, 2014
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
yes i am
bhebho wé tie bhedani?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:34am On Jul 22, 2014
Kachisbarbie: No regrets really, bc I can communicate and hear everything damn thing any1 would say in igbo - though am not fluent. Thanks to my aunt that brought me up, that woman can speak English o, e get d 1 she would speak then as a child...I would blackout briefly, trying to get the meaning. She come chook me for boarding sch, in a Yoruba land...and I hate not being able to hear what peeps around are saying- so I learnt Yoruba by force, coupled with all my yoruba bfs grin way back.
LOL....wat state re u from
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Xplicit1(f): 11:34am On Jul 22, 2014
Charlesamino:
Ur parents nko? Well tym & interest/dedicatn wil c u thru

They are not available.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by GodMode: 11:38am On Jul 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: Don't blame anyone if you make an effort ( in particular spend some money) you will be surprised what you can achieve in the next 2 years.
This is a foreigner who came to Nigeria to learn Yoruba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk1aPBazfjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hTZ_mS7TsI

They learnt it in yankee...
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: bhebho wé tie bhedani?
What's the name of my school?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:43am On Jul 22, 2014
GodMode:

They learnt it in yankee...
What is "yankee" ?
They learnt both in Nigeria and America. They spent several months at University of Ibadan and also in an "immersion " programme meaning they lived with a Yoruba family that only spoke Yoruba to them and also exposed them to cultura aspects. They also had some exposure to broadcasting with a radio station in Ibadan
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:43am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
What's the name of my school?
naaah...!
What are u studying there?
What's d name of ur sch is "ba tie school nosee"
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Jambsupport(f): 11:44am On Jul 22, 2014
xo much dat i had to get a teacher. i was ashamed. beta nw
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 22, 2014
nahhh...can d language pay my bills?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Ranchhoddas: 11:47am On Jul 22, 2014
justi4jesu:

shocked shocked And you cannot speak, make my Grand ma no catch you and you are a guy..hmmm your children na Queens English only oh grin grin
i grew up in the west so it's not really my fault?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: naaah...!
What are u studying there?
What's d name of ur sch is "ba tie school nosee"
oh ok
i'm in college
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by GodMode: 11:48am On Jul 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: What is "yankee" ?
They learnt both in Nigeria and America. They spent several months at University of Ibadan and also in an "immersion " programme meaning they lived with a Yoruba family that only spoke Yoruba to them and also exposed them to cultura aspects. They also had some exposure to broadcasting with a radio station in Ibadan

No.. I have their videos... They learnt it for 2 years in America (not really sure I'll have to watch it again).. Before going to Ibadan. What I mean is they were already fluent in Yoruba before their first visit to Nigeria.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:49am On Jul 22, 2014
In okun ooo kete ule

Even though Ekiti Yeye,

I can blow different Ekiti dialects and funnily i made better grade in Oyinbo than those Ajebutters
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 22, 2014
GodMode:

No.. I have their videos... They learnt it for 2 years in America (not really sure I'll have to watch it again).. Before going to Ibadan. What I mean is they were already fluent in Yoruba before their first visit to Nigeria.

I do not know why there is a need to manufacture a meaningless argument. What is YOUR point because honestly I cannot see any. Do you have videos before they came to Nigeria. What evidence have you got that they were fluent before coming to Nigeria? Even in the video they are NOT FLUENT. just ok
They started learning in America and came to UI for further studies and also were embedded in a Yoruba family home for further training . Are you disputing those facts? The purpose of posting the video is to show others that they are in an even better position especially those who claim to "understand but cannot speak" if they follow a similar programme
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:58am On Jul 22, 2014
nnekamezor: LOL....wat state re u from
Abia State na

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 11:58am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
oh ok
i'm in college
aii
U'r cumin up in speaking Esan nw rii? grin
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by GodMode: 11:59am On Jul 22, 2014
benbuks: could understand & speak to some substantial extend , though not much . kinda regret sha , but all the same am not ashamed ( at least no be food ..lol.)'

But come to think of it , if you observe most developed/ technologically advanced countries today e.g China , Japan, Germany ,America , Dubai e.t.c . they kinda have unified /unique languages , kids are taught math/sciences & other subjects in their own mother language right from tender hood , no wonder they understands the concepts well enough as to be creative & innovative in their researches & explorations . unlike we Africans (esp. 9ja ) where we have tons on languages & ethnic believes disagreeing with others ,you find tribalism , sentiments & resentment , ( tell me how the country will progress ) .

Now just image if kids are taught say physics , math, chemistry biology e.t.c in their best- understood (mother ) tongue /language (with the teacher being an expert in both the said language & the subject /course he/she teaches ) . don't you think that will go a long way in revolutionizing our education sector & even the country's state .? I don't have to cram all the formulae & theories cause i grasp the reality of what the teacher /lecturer is talking about ( being in my own language , best understood ) . but in a case where we have to understand & master the so called official language ; "ENGLISH" , it phonics & vocabularies to be able to absorb /decode the ideas the teachers/lectures are yarning about , which till date is our ever enigma making it tough for us to substantially improve educational performances & the nation's development .

so we need a unique /unified language in Nigeria or better still subjects/courses should be taught in a best-understood mother tongue which i believe will solve many problems ..

than you.

1love..

Gracia.

#team..wa.zo..bia..

Nigeria needs to dis-integrate to move forward or each region should let schools teach in their dialect except for some universities.

There was no Nigeria for over 2000 years and yet I'm sure there were inter-tribal marriages during those days...

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Izontubo(m): 12:01pm On Jul 22, 2014
I am nt really an aje butter but I regret not knowing hw to communicate with my dialect....infact my parents never communicated with us with the ijaw dialect so the language I ended up understanding was yoruba..because that was all I could hear people speak around me....

Now I feel this rush to learn the ijaw language...
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 22, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Abia State na
Oh i see.....was thinking u were frm Anambra
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by SweetyZinta(f): 12:05pm On Jul 22, 2014
muskham: A big regret it is for me. I can't speak my father's language but fluent in mum's. How I wish it is the reverse.
we share d same Fate. My mum is Igbo, my dad is Nupe
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by GodMode: 12:05pm On Jul 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: I do not know why there is a need to manufacture a meaningless argument. What is YOUR point because honestly I cannot see any. [b]Do you have videos before they came to Nigeria[b]
They started learning in America and came to UI for further studies and also were embedded in a Yoruba family home for further training . Are you disputing those facts?

It Seems u can't decode english well... No I do not dispute those facts. They had already learnt it fluently in America before coming to Nigeria and NO I am not trying to argue.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 22, 2014
GodMode:

It Seems u can't decode english well... No I do not dispute those facts. They had already learnt it fluently in America before coming to Nigeria and NO I am not trying to argue.
No I cannot decode sorry. What evidence do you have that they had already learnt it fluently before coming to Nigeria please show it.
The purpose of posting the video is to show others that they are in an even better position especially those who claim to "understand but cannot speak" if they follow a similar programme. i.e learn how to read it and then "total immersion" That is the reason for posting and not to indulge in meaningless rumination
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by GodMode: 12:16pm On Jul 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: No I cannot decode sorry. What evidence do you have that they had already learnt it fluently before coming to Nigeria please show it.
The purpose of posting the video is to show others that they are in an even better position especially those who claim to "understand but cannot speak" if they follow a similar programme. i.e learn how to read it and then "total immersion" That is the reason for posting and not to indulge in meaningless rumination

because of what u said, I decided to watch titilayo's video... In the video, she said she learned yoruba for 3 years in U.S. before coming to Nigeria.. And she spent over 6 months in Nigeria.

I am watching the video right now cos of u.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 22, 2014
GodMode:

because of what u said, I decided to watch titilayo's video... In the video, she said she learned yoruba for 3 years in U.S. before coming to Nigeria.. And she spent over 6 months in Nigeria.

I am watching the video right now cos of u.
Fact is they learnt more about reading and writing in America and came to Nigeria for the practical side of things.Clearly there is a huge advantage for Nigerians if they can take time to learn how to read and write too that is my point. THEY WERE NOT FLUENT BEFORE THEY CAME and even now one can hardly say they are fluent but they have done well

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Kongo Kingdom...A underrated Kingdom / Who Are These Yorubas? / Okwu Ntabi Ile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.