Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? (22422 Views)

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by edo70: 7:23am On Jul 22, 2014
i can't speak my language but can speak hausa fluently like native.my parents tried but then we comingle easily with hausa kids n do things alike unlike these days.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Ubiero(f): 7:23am On Jul 22, 2014
Plenty...

Can't speak my mum or dad's language at all. I barely understand a word in my dad's language except to greet. My mum's language is what I'm trying to learn.

My aim once I get married is to make a pact with my hubby that our kids must learn his dialect. No butty butty. Enuf of dt will come from me.

4 Likes

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 22, 2014
Xplicit1: I can't speak, & I regret it alot.

What am I gonna teach my kids, they will only kno mummy comes from so so and so place but they don't kno wat they speak there?

I feel bad most times, cos @ times I c people I kno speakin but I can't join them.

It's bad.
Same 4mi
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 22, 2014
Xplicit1: I can't speak, & I regret it alot.

What am I gonna teach my kids, they will only kno mummy comes from so so and so place but they don't kno wat they speak there?

I feel bad most times, cos @ times I c people I kno speakin but I can't join them.

It's bad.
Same 4mi,exactly d way i wantd 2 put it
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by deekseen(m): 7:26am On Jul 22, 2014
Generally, I have problems with speaking languages. I understand my dialect well, but speaking it is very poor. Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, French and Annang/Ibibio are languages I should be speaking very well, but I regret my inability to do so.

By the way I'm an Ijaw/Okrika man.

4 Likes

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by oladoya(m): 7:26am On Jul 22, 2014
ANAMBRA11: I speak my language tOo much so it affected my tongue when I speak english so I moved to the city to perfect my english so that I don't disgrace myself when I move to Amelica sorry America
you sure say language you come learn for lagos? Abi you come do business?.

2 Likes

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 22, 2014
adesewa4uyahoo: kamari......no regret......proudly ekiti girl
Babe,make we mingle na..
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 22, 2014
See blowing my language like i composed it grin
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 22, 2014
Fatdon: Mine is the remix version of igbo
grin cheesy grin cheesy biko which is remix again?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by jayseehe(m): 7:30am On Jul 22, 2014
oladoya: this is what OMOALE looks like.
don't get on my nerves
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by oladoya(m): 7:30am On Jul 22, 2014
Smartsyn: No regrets, my dialect is choking anyway..

It's like speaking in tongues..
hehehehee i guess you are from calabar

2 Likes

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by eaglechild: 7:31am On Jul 22, 2014
eddyland: Truly I like languages very well and I thank God that my parents spoke my monther tongue to me while I was growing up, making me fluent in my dialect. In addition to my dialect wich is Igbo, I learnt Hausa and can speak that too.

I even need more, so I even learnt French and can speak it moderately. I am just happy that I know how to speak them especially my own dialect.

But I know that generations of these days, many don't even know how to speak their dialect at all, as result of being brought up by Turenci (hausa word for English) parents. Parents that only blow grammar to their kids, thereby making them incapable of flowing their dialect.

To me I feel that those that cannot speak their dialect are seriously missing in actions. Not even the amebo that most people like doing these day that they can participate on in public discussions.

The funniest thing is that some of them that even claimed that knowing how to speak only English has help them get fluent in English, but together with the local dialects that I can speak, I can even still blow the English grammar more than many of them, indicating that knowing your dialect and other ones has nothing to do with knowing or not knowing how to speak English.

So for those that falls into the category of not being able to blow your dialect, especially the so called Aje butters, are you having any regrets for that?
Cha cha cha cha cha....,.Ndi Igbo kwenu! So una see say I tite for my language? Proudly Igbo come rain come sunshine...even though I knew quite alright that it was not a choice for me to make in determing which ethnic group I want to be born into but by chance. If given the choice or power to choose, I will definitely choose Igbo again and again and again.

Nde bany'i ekene mu unu o, ka udo diri unu nine. Gba nu mbo, ka unu bugo ifa ndere na iru eba'hnwa nde beke kporo Front page

OP
Nice write up, however, your language NOT DIALECT is Igbo.

Your dialect is a variant of your main language.
Eg Onitsha Igbo.

7 Likes

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Xplicit1(f): 7:33am On Jul 22, 2014
Charlesamino:
Same 4mi,exactly d way i wantd 2 put it

Right (abi)?
Assuming I will c sombodi to teach me now.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by oladoya(m): 7:34am On Jul 22, 2014
drnairalov: My broda there re plenty regrets ooo.....and it hurts when i see outsiders speaking my language fluently... I just have to push my self to d limit speaking dis yoruba dat hss refused to stay in my mouth...am not full yoruba tho...am mixed breed ..mayb daz why i cant speak it fluently...i have dis Igbo tunation when am speakin..smh smh..choi!!! na for skul i suffer pass wen i had to write WAEC!!! funny enough i carry C4 for the course...how dat magic tey happen i no sabi.

But dammit Yoruba is hard one kain sha...!! if only d tunation wasnt dere *crying..m so used to english and pidgin
eeeyah sorry, dont worry Ajakula!! Will do it....
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Ajibel(m): 7:36am On Jul 22, 2014
No regrets. Though I can speak Yoruba/Igbo to some extent.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by victorVIC1(m): 7:36am On Jul 22, 2014
I regret to d core....dats y I'm considering marrying someone from my senatorial district.
#Team Urhobo
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by oladoya(m): 7:38am On Jul 22, 2014
jayseehe:
don't get on my nerves
sorry, better still carry your nevers comot for ground.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by shaqhead: 7:41am On Jul 22, 2014
Brymo: I know how to 4 languages, but can't speak mine, funny.... I understands it though.
Hmm... Same here bt nt as mch languages.. Cnt lv ds lyf regretting... Anywy ur moniker is ma surname.. Guess we frm d same place.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 22, 2014
eddyland: Truly I like languages very well and I thank God that my parents spoke my monther tongue to me while I was growing up, making me fluent in my dialect. In addition to my dialect wich is Igbo, I learnt Hausa and can speak that too.

I even need more, so I even learnt French and can speak it moderately. I am just happy that I know how to speak them especially my own dialect.

But I know that generations of these days, many don't even know how to speak their dialect at all, as result of being brought up by Turenci (hausa word for English) parents. Parents that only blow grammar to their kids, thereby making them incapable of flowing their dialect.

To me I feel that those that cannot speak their dialect are seriously missing in actions. Not even the amebo that most people like doing these day that they can participate on in public discussions.

The funniest thing is that some of them that even claimed that knowing how to speak only English has help them get fluent in English, but together with the local dialects that I can speak, I can even still blow the English grammar more than many of them, indicating that knowing your dialect and other ones has nothing to do with knowing or not knowing how to speak English.

So for those that falls into the category of not being able to blow your dialect, especially the so called Aje butters, are you having any regrets for that?
Cha cha cha cha cha....,.Ndi Igbo kwenu! So una see say I tite for my language? Proudly Igbo come rain come sunshine...even though I knew quite alright that it was not a choice for me to make in determing which ethnic group I want to be born into but by chance. If given the choice or power to choose, I will definitely choose Igbo again and again and again.

Nde bany'i ekene mu unu o, ka udo diri unu nine. Gba nu mbo, ka unu bugo ifa ndere na iru eba'hnwa nde beke kporo Front page
Is Igbo a dialect What kind of schooling do people have these days
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by JuicyGee(f): 7:43am On Jul 22, 2014
No regrets actually. The only language I wish I knew how to speak is yoruba
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by fulfillment2020(m): 7:43am On Jul 22, 2014
eaglechild:

OP
Nice write up, however, your language NOT DIALECT is Igbo.

Your dialect is a variant of your main language.
Eg Onitsha Igbo.

OP take note. Thanks bro for the correction.

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by johndwayy(m): 7:43am On Jul 22, 2014
So wot is now d advantage and pride in knowing hw to speak and undastands ones mother tongue? Pls u guys shud enumerate 5 major importance and advantages of speaking and understanding your mother tongue.,if nt majorly for d purpose of favouritism, tribalism and corruption especially here in nigeria. English ,which is our official language and the mother tongue of the british pipo is spoken across Uk and the US, Are they nt progressing more than us in all areas? I'm nt trying to rubbish our native languages oh, bt I want us to see the unity in our diversity and nt trying to promote our tribes above the rest cos that will always bring resentment and hatred.

Btw...I can speak and understand 2 major languages in the south-south, bt I can't see any importance or pride in it other than tribalistic tendencies. So no regrets if u can't speak ur mother tongues.......I'm out.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by fulfillment2020(m): 7:45am On Jul 22, 2014
I enjoy speaking my language more than that slavery borrowed language. I was an Igbo before I became a Nigerian. Igbo Kwenu!!!

3 Likes

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Solodegreat24(m): 7:48am On Jul 22, 2014
Its important you speak ur native language. Funny enough parents of today don't bother teaching thier kids and for those that do teach thier kids you wud find out that those kids can only understands but find it difficult to speak back. Am wondering what the next generations wud be lik. Would there stil be anything like native language?
I doubt. English is gud but knowing ur native language is largely important.

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by johndwayy(m): 7:48am On Jul 22, 2014
OrangeDream: Dem dey use d dialect witdraw moni 4 bank ni??If no,den no regret
Bros abeg help me ask dem
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by johndwayy(m): 7:51am On Jul 22, 2014
jayseehe: no regrets, I need the brain space to learn relevant foreign languages like; Chinese, French and Hindu
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 22, 2014
Yes I do regret... i always feel ashamed. Learning though cos its never too late to learn.... Thats why whoever I m marrying must know how to speak yoruba fluently. I don't want my kids being in the same shoes with me.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by babestell(f): 7:53am On Jul 22, 2014
Am am very ashamed I never learnt to speak igbo. I am making an effort now but it comes out so terrible when I speak, I just shut up.

I hope I marry a guy who can speak his language well so that he can teach it to me and the kids
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by huptin(m): 7:53am On Jul 22, 2014
I am from Badagry in Lagos, but my mum is from Osun state, i cant even speak a word of Gun ( the badagry language) but i can rap in Yoruba and i even speak my mom's Ijesha dialect quite well. It can be embarassing atimes, especially when i go to badagry, infact i have been told by a few people to bury any political ambition that is attached to badagry because it wont work if i cant speak the language. But i guess its too late to start learning how to be left handed in old age.

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 22, 2014
I do not know how to speak my language, i can only hear and to an extent. My dad then go gather us e children, we go stand for e front na so e go yab shege comot our body saying "u have lost your identity". We made efforts to learn but d tin hard cheesy and i guess none of us including my elder ones were willing to learn the language at all. After all those that spoke the language with my parents were the ones we called the evil ones in the family. His kins and the rest were all enemies of progress. and my mindset then was why learn the language wen e be say the person we u wan speak am with go dey seek ur downfall and would harm u if need be?? undecided.

Anyway we had to learn the universal language, the one that everybody in the world hears, the one that open doors faster and quicker than anything, MONEY.... Doubt me, i can get your kinsmen to go against you with MONEY, so therefore i have not and do not regret my inability to speak my local language, cool. Now my papa nor care wether we dey speak Urhobo or not o, e now understands the powerful language of Money more cos he gets his regular dose wink.

4 Likes

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 22, 2014
victorVIC1: I regret to d core....dats y I'm considering marrying someone from my senatorial district.
#Team Urhobo
#Team Urhobo too, i no mind ur assistance o. U based thr? hardly c dm arnd ota region
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:54am On Jul 22, 2014
No regret cos I can even write a dictionary with it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ooni Appoints Adediwura As New Obalufe (Photo) / Why Do We Pay Bride Price In Nigeria? / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.