Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,509 members, 7,812,575 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:34 PM

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? (22435 Views)

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by yousee(m): 8:52am On Jul 22, 2014
ITbomb: If I didn't know how to speak my language I would have lost my pride.
Agwo Annang Ade Agwo Uko.
Annang mma!!

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by hazyfm: 8:53am On Jul 22, 2014
pansophist: As an Igbo man, I speak Igbo to a communicable extent, but not perfectly like I wanted. I usually mix it with English and can never speak it without mixing it with borrowed words from english. I speak yoruba too as the same degree I speak Igbo, but I speak English and Pidgin fluently.
ME TOO
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Soknown: 8:53am On Jul 22, 2014
johndwayy:
All these pattern of thoughts, asian culture indirect speech and the others you mentioned above, if not understood by your listener or audience, makes communication defeated. A particular language or dialect is only peculiar to the people of that race and not to everybody, for you to communicate and interact with people, you have to speak what they understand. Why didn't you post your comment in your native dialect, cos you know I might not understand it- that's what I'm saying.
Have you noticed that pidgin english has gained widespread popularity and relevance in nigeria? What do you think is the reason?

Pidgin English uuhn. Back then we use to call it broken English because it is actually broken( English punctuated by jargons and local languages). It is gaining popularity because our society is becoming more urbanized and Lazy ( bearing in mind that there is a basic human instinct to take the shorter route.) it is a failed acculturation and enculturation. Example two cultures meet suddenly and instead on assimilating the other, the two found a cheap albeit unstructured means of communication. Who is the loser , the society. That is why we fail to grab the full essence/usage of the English language and essence and richness of our local languages, hence some are going extinct.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 22, 2014
NaLaugh:

Referenced "Advantage" = Nepotism, Tribalism.
see dx man ooo
Y do u think Alex Ferguson handed man utd to Moyes?? Dey r from d same country

I am nt in support of tribalism bt I can't lie dt speaking one's dialect gives an advantage sometimes

Moreover,,, its fun
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by justi4jesu(f): 8:57am On Jul 22, 2014
Ranchhoddas: is that kalabari?

Confirm wink

How you take know?

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 22, 2014
I've got no regrets..
Doe 'm willing to learn..

Proud Native Speaker of English..
I've mastered the British Accent..
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 22, 2014
Titiluvly: NO
was jx wondering cos of d "titi" in ur moniker
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by phunmydahdah(f): 9:00am On Jul 22, 2014
I hate to feel like I am being condemned because I can't speak my dialect. Let me quickly add that my parents are not from the same place, while my dad is yoruba my mum is from the north central. They couldn't communicate with each other since they didn't understand each other dialect so they spoke english and they transferred the same to the children. Now my mum and dad speak yoruba to each other because we have stayed in the west for quite sometime and they are beginning to speak yoruba to us which my siblings can speak well now but I can't communicate well in it because I am the first and I got the training right from the scratch speaking english. So how am I to be blamed or feel bad because I can't speak my dialect.

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: Hiiaaan!!
Irrua is the heart of Esan. They have the realest Esan language

Where did u grow up?
I grew up in Benin. I can understand bini but i can't speak it. but i can't understand or speak Esan
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by NaLaugh: 9:01am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: see dx man ooo
Y do u think Alex Ferguson handed man utd to Moyes?? Dey r from d same country

I am nt in support of tribalism bt I can't lie dt speaking one's dialect gives an advantage sometimes

Moreover,,, its fun

Now ask yourself how much fun it would be if you attend a job interview, and are OBVIOUSLY by far the more qualified candidate.
However, you lose out to an unqualified semi-illiterate, simply because the hiring manager found out Mr. illiterate was from his neck of the woods.

This reference is not about the fun of speaking one's language, it is about undue favors to that regard.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by yousee(m): 9:02am On Jul 22, 2014
Itoroetti: my language my pride.
my name my identity.
if i dont speak my language,what else will i do?
the first thing u will notice about me is my passion for my people n culture.
ikpa udo,da ndo ata eyen akwa ibom.
nkemana do,mkpon do.
then amigh nde ata aju ekid.
afia anwe mme esit urua-ekid
#team idua road eket

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 22, 2014
NaLaugh:

Now ask yourself how much fun it would be if you attend a job interview, and are OBVIOUSLY by far the more qualified candidate.
However, you lose out to an unqualified semi-illiterate, simply because the hiring manager found out Mr. illiterate was from his neck of the woods.

This reference is not about the fun of speaking one's language, it is about undue favors to that regard.
grin grin grin
Seems u'r talking from experience.
U remind me of my NYSC days in the East... Igbo people and tribalism shaaaaa..!!!!
Buh dtx d more reason u should learn yours cheesy
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by fairheven: 9:06am On Jul 22, 2014
I sure can speak my language fairly well,but only regret is my inability to speak my dialect fluently;my grandmother is so fond of me,and to communicate with her,it has to be in my dialect which is not an easy tin for me. embarassed
My uncle also made me know the importance of knowin ur. Root and culture;imagine if I want go for an electioneering campaign in my village,will I start speakin grammar to them?na u go carry last shocked
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:06am On Jul 22, 2014
NigellusHosan: I've got no regrets..
Doe 'm willing to learn..

Proud Native Speaker of English..
I've mastered the British Accent..

Ewww! sad
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by yousee(m): 9:07am On Jul 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: I doubt very much that you can speak even English very well judging from your lazy spelling.
The main beauty in Languages lie in artistic forms; verse,poetry song and performance. Proverbs and idioms are the substance of any language and are learnt by native speakers whether literate of not with little effort.

The kind of effort required to be an expert user of English is intense and unnatural for most Nigerians. Very few Nigerians master the English language enough to understand its subtleties nuances clangs puns etc and so the usage among Nigerians is often purely technical, limited to basic communication but artistic elements are totally lost on many. Another dimension is worship but that is a debate for another day. If you observe Nigerian children under the age of 10 they have an extremely limited English vocabulary and this of course would stem from their parents' limited vocabulary.
e.g ask any Nigerian child in this group to give synonyms at least 5 for ; food,eat,seat,house,shoes,shirt, and most would struggle just like many of their parents. English then acts to disenfranchise the thinking of a whole people who lose their own language without gaining English
How many new nursery rhymes,children's songs,stories etc are developed in Nigeria. Certainly our own children's stories always have an accompanying "soundtrack". And what about our drumming are we now to start drumming to English rhythms?
There are patterns of thought that are native to a particular language,idea forms that are native and cannot be translated satisfactorily. We see some of these in "Nigerian English" but then Nigerian English has not been standardized. Expressions like "fly wey no hear word na him dey follow dead body enter ground" or "use your teeth to count your tongue" have pure resonance in their native forms and are stilted and unnatural when rendered in English. In Nigeria and other Asian culture indirect speech i.e the use of idioms proverbs is considered a very high art in contrast to the "direct" approach of English. I think these all reflect the richness of the human mind in sharp contrast to the simpleness and poverty of a mind that produced your "offering" above

Bros! You wan kill johndwayy? Sumall sumall nau
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by johndwayy(m): 9:07am On Jul 22, 2014
Soknown:

Pidgin English uuhn. Back then we use to call it broken English because it is actually broken( English punctuated by jargons and local languages). It is gaining popularity because our society is becoming more urbanized and Lazy ( bearing in mind that there is a basic human instinct to take the shorter route.) it is a failed acculturation and enculturation. Example two cultures meet suddenly and instead on assimilating the other, the two found a cheap albeit unstructured means of communication. Who is the loser , the society. That is why we fail to grab the full essence/usage of the English language and essence and richness of our local languages, hence some are going extinct.
bros Are you calling pidgin english a failed acculturation and enculturation? I don't think you understand what you are saying. Don't you know that language is dynamic and evolving? Each society and family has a unique way of communication. I know of various families in my neighbourhood that have successfully formed their own pattern of communication among themselves...which is Like a mixture of pidgin english, english language and d local dialect of the town, the important thing here is that they can communicate effectively and understand themselves.

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by yousee(m): 9:08am On Jul 22, 2014
Abajosax007: i can speak hausa to some extent(i stay in zaria), and also speak yoruba fluently, i speak english but i understand words in my dialet(owe) but i just cant speak them out...though i have improved. I am learning the language to teach my children also.
#Team kwangilla
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 22, 2014
FrancisTony:

Ewww! sad

screw u
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:11am On Jul 22, 2014
Did I see people saying "no regret" shocked

There is something wrong with this generation.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by berbs113(f): 9:11am On Jul 22, 2014
Dialect...I can't Speak my Dad's own.. Not to talk of my Mum's language.. Father is Delta. Ndokwa West.. The greeting is like Aje and Otofie,male and female respectively. My Mother is from Imo state... I don't know the part sef... We were brought up in Yoruba land.... I speak Yoruba fluently...... Its so annoying I don't understand any of my parent's dialect cos I might find it hard laying claim to anything over there especially Delta state Oil thinzz
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by johndwayy(m): 9:12am On Jul 22, 2014
bros Are you calling pidgin english a failed acculturation and enculturation? I don't think you understand what you are saying. Don't you know that language is dynamic and evolving? Each society and family has a unique way of communication. I know of various families in my neighbourhood that have successfully formed their own pattern of communication among themselves...which is Like a mixture of pidgin english, english language and d local dialect of the town, the important thing here is that they can communicate effectively and understand themselves.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 22, 2014
Yes ohhhhh I wanna be the Governor of my state. Beht I can't speak ordinary Yoruba. . Talk more of my dialect.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by GSKing: 9:13am On Jul 22, 2014
NO
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 22, 2014
I know how to Igbo and pidgin quite fluently but I don't speak it.

English is my pride. undecided

Yoruba- just a little.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by mummyhaq(f): 9:13am On Jul 22, 2014
which langage is dat?
Smartsyn: No regrets, my dialect is choking anyway..

It's like speaking in tongues..
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 22, 2014
I'm a son of the world kinda guy. Only popular languages float my boat(German, French, Mandarin).. English and pidgin suffice for now, and not knowing my tribal language(igbo) has never been a handicap unless dikheads choose to make it so. In which case I'll simply excuse their intolerant selves from my life.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Solodegreat24(m): 9:14am On Jul 22, 2014
johndwayy:
pls wot is nw the importance of native languages? Do u knw hw many languages go extinct each day? If I'm an ibo man staying in the north, wot is nw the importnce of learning my native dialect wen I can't use it to communicate with the people around? Nigerians re too tribalistic, until we realize this, no progress.

There is nothing like being tribalistic here neither are we debating the best tribes (bigotry) here. All we are saying is dat it's important you speak your mother tongue. What if you live the north and travel to your village and the locals and mayb ur grandparents there only speak your native language, how will you communicate. Even the North you ar talking about almost everyone there speaks Hausa and I tell you u wud be forced to learn it. Before colonization Nigeria has their various languages with which we communicate and English (from the British) is second to those languages (borrowed). I can remember vividly when I went to contonuo I could not really communicate in English bcus everyone there speaks French. You speak English they reply in French and you ar lost but many learnt yoruba just for business transactions. Go to Germany they will never communicate wth you in English even if they speaks English. If you live there you are forced to learn German. Currently living in the Netherlands and everyday you are faced with the challenge to learn dutch in order to integrate. We should not allow our cultures to go into extinct because we want to embrace the western world. And that has nothing to do with progress. Corruption is the cause of the retrogression the country is facing. Shalom

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: grin
lol am i correct?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by modestdude(m): 9:18am On Jul 22, 2014
Before you can beat your chest and say that you are fluent in your language, first make sure you can read it, write it and speak it fluently.

As for me, abum ogunigbo, odenigbo na osunigbo. My language is my identity, i pledge on my honour to let it flow down my lineage
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Ranchhoddas: 9:18am On Jul 22, 2014
justi4jesu:

Confirm wink

How you take know?
i am kalabari!
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by yousee(m): 9:19am On Jul 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: Well only the deep can call to the deep.Pearls are nothing but swill for swine
Johndwayy you no dey hear word abi? Na TKO you dey find?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:19am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
lol am i correct?
99% correct smiley
The right spelling is egbe fuwe re

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Who Are These Yorubas? / Ooni Appoints Adediwura As New Obalufe (Photo) / Okwu Ntabi Ile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.