Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,487 members, 7,812,509 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? (22433 Views)

What Names Do You Refer To Natives Of Other Tribes With In Your Dialect? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: 99% correct smiley
The right spelling is egbe fuwe re
lol those are some of the few words i know
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 22, 2014
could understand & speak to some substantial extend , though not much . kinda regret sha , but all the same am not ashamed ( at least no be food ..lol.)'

But come to think of it , if you observe most developed/ technologically advanced countries today e.g China , Japan, Germany ,America , Dubai e.t.c . they kinda have unified /unique languages , kids are taught math/sciences & other subjects in their own mother language right from tender hood , no wonder they understands the concepts well enough as to be creative & innovative in their researches & explorations . unlike we Africans (esp. 9ja ) where we have tons on languages & ethnic believes disagreeing with others ,you find tribalism , sentiments & resentment , ( tell me how the country will progress ) .

Now just image if kids are taught say physics , math, chemistry biology e.t.c in their best- understood (mother ) tongue /language (with the teacher being an expert in both the said language & the subject /course he/she teaches ) . don't you think that will go a long way in revolutionizing our education sector & even the country's state .? I don't have to cram all the formulae & theories cause i grasp the reality of what the teacher /lecturer is talking about ( being in my own language , best understood ) . but in a case where we have to understand & master the so called official language ; "ENGLISH" , it phonics & vocabularies to be able to absorb /decode the ideas the teachers/lectures are yarning about , which till date is our ever enigma making it tough for us to substantially improve educational performances & the nation's development .

so we need a unique /unified language in Nigeria or better still subjects/courses should be taught in a best-understood mother tongue which i believe will solve many problems ..

than you.

1love..

Gracia.

#team..wa.zo..bia..

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by fairheven: 9:21am On Jul 22, 2014
Soknown:

Pidgin English uuhn. Back then we use to call it broken English because it is actually broken( English punctuated by jargons and local languages). It is gaining popularity because our society is becoming more urbanized and Lazy ( bearing in mind that there is a basic human instinct to take the shorter route.) it is a failed acculturation and enculturation. Example two cultures meet suddenly and instead on assimilating the other, the two found a cheap albeit unstructured means of communication. Who is the loser , the society. That is why we fail to grab the full essence/usage of the English language and essence and richness of our local languages, hence some are going extinct.
Society becoming more urbanised yes,lazy? Not so,language is just a means of communication,the easier the better,pidgin English is not necessarily inferior to the English language.there are countries wu have pidgin English as official language.
Infact there was a research carried out by the BBC,which said that in 10/15 years period,pidgin English wud become an official language in most west afrcan countries.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Caseless: 9:23am On Jul 22, 2014
jayseehe: no regrets, I need the brain space to learn relevant foreign languages like; Chinese, French and Hindu
jose maurinho did not dump his native portuguese b4 learning other 5 major language. Who told u there is a language called chinese and hindu? U dnt even knw what u ar looking for.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 22, 2014
Solodegreat24:

There is nothing like being tribalistic here neither are we debating the best tribes (bigotry) here. All we are saying is dat it's important you speak your mother tongue. What if you live the north and travel to your village and the locals and mayb ur grandparents there only speak your native language, how will you communicate. Even the North you ar talking about almost everyone there speaks Hausa and I tell you u wud be forced to learn it. Before colonization Nigeria has their various languages with which we communicate and English (from the British) is second to those languages (borrowed). I can remember vividly when I went to contonuo I could not really communicate in English bcus everyone there speaks French. You speak English they reply in French and you ar lost but many learnt yoruba just for business transactions. Go to Germany they will never communicate wth you in English even if they speaks English. If you live there you are forced to learn German. Currently living in the Netherlands and everyday you are faced with the challenge to learn dutch in order to integrate. We should not allow our cultures to go into extinct because we want to embrace the western world. And that has nothing to do with progress. Corruption is the cause of the retrogression the country is facing. Shalom
nice post! God bless you.
I hope all anti-dialect folks saw dx post

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
lol those are some of the few words i know
oné egbe?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: oné egbe?
Ofure...i think
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by justi4jesu(f): 9:30am On Jul 22, 2014
Ranchhoddas: i am kalabari!

shocked shocked And you cannot speak, make my Grand ma no catch you and you are a guy..hmmm your children na Queens English only oh grin grin

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
I grew up in Benin. I can understand bini but i can't speak it. but i can't understand or speak Esan
eyaa
Bini is very different from Esan language
Buh if u understand bini,,u will sure understand my dialect
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 22, 2014
johndwayy:
@iwonbaoko...u re too funny. So you Are indirectly saying to hell with someone that can't understand your language?.....quite pathetic sha.
No I am not saying that at all but surely you do not need an interpreter after all you are a thoroughbred Englishman. The point is simple as a Yoruba Edo or whatever ethnicity one may belong to one must strive to achieve mastery in one's language. There are varying levels one may achieve with English use from Master,Expert,proficient,passable etc but what is important is the striving to master one's own language. Where I take issue with you is the implicit suggestion that our languages possess little utility and should be allowed to atrophy and become extinct. You dress this up in very assertive language about English when indeed you know next to nothing about English
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
Ofure...i think
waooo cheesy
U'r a pro nau
100% correct
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by einsteino(m): 9:33am On Jul 22, 2014
I really regret it, especially when I imagine that I would have to employ a teacher for my kids to learn it. Well I understand my language but speaking has always been another thing, perhaps cos of the phobia of pronouncing d words wrongly.

I have no justification for not being able to speak it, afterall my dad speaks it fluently and he has a better command of English than I do.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: waooo cheesy
U'r a pro nau
100% correct
lol i only know that cos my gandma always says "one gbe" or " bodi a yie"
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:37am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
lol i only know that cos my gandma always says "one gbe" or " bodi a yie"
cheesy
Wé se lebae?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:38am On Jul 22, 2014
I regret though not my fault. I was born and live in lagos. School in ogun state, I even know yoruba language morethan Edo language. My parents didn't teach us well. when I graduate this year am hoping to serve in my state(expecially villages) and learn as much as I can so when I get back home(Lagos) I'd be rapping the native tongues with my moma like "wale a lema, ika gbe ele, usomi bogo bogo bi usomi bla bla bla.... cheesy cheesy cheesy But if I don't learn then life goes on, a niggar ain gona die cos eono the damn native lang...

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: cheesy
Wé se lebae?
not yet grin
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by abdullkabar(m): 9:40am On Jul 22, 2014
I don't even think abt it
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
not yet grin
hahaha
U understood it bt couldn't reply cheesy

1 Like

Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by justi4jesu(f): 9:43am On Jul 22, 2014
latino2swt:

victorious edi ntre! Aba ke mmong?

Edem fo? eyen akwa ibom
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
not yet grin
U can catch up fast if u show ur granny dt u have a big interest smiley
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by NaLaugh: 9:44am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: grin grin grin
Seems u'r talking from experience.
U remind me of my NYSC days in the East... Igbo people and tribalism shaaaaa..!!!!
Buh dtx d more reason u should learn yours cheesy

I speak from observation of the Nigerian society, and the world at large.

But that is not the purpose of this thread, so i'll let it be.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Belmot(m): 9:45am On Jul 22, 2014
Proud of my language yoruba, can speak it fluently same as hausa, I tried my best to learn igbo buh kai e no easy o my igbo is just 15%.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:47am On Jul 22, 2014
I am not that fluent in my dialect but as a Pro -Igbo woman,i want to learn other igbo dialects esp Ikwerre,Ukwani,Nkanu,Onitsha,Afikpo. Wanna have a remix version of Igbo,lol. In the same vein,i wanna learn Efik,Ijaw,Yoruba and Idoma.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: U can catch up fast if u show ur granny dt u have a big interest smiley
I don't live in Nigeria anymore so there's nobody to teach me
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by justi4jesu(f): 9:50am On Jul 22, 2014
Victoriousvic:
Ndi eyen Calabar o! cool

Afo oto umong ke calabar?
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:52am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
I don't live in Nigeria anymore so there's nobody to teach me
ooh ooh!
Ewebo wé ki ya?
smiley
Ejela bhe ewebo?

Do u understand dt? grin
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:52am On Jul 22, 2014
Kachisbarbie: No regrets really, bc I can communicate and hear everything damn thing any1 would say in igbo - though am not fluent. Thanks to my aunt that brought me up, that woman can speak English o, e get d 1 she would speak then as a child...I would blackout briefly, trying to get the meaning. She come chook me for boarding sch, in a Yoruba land...and I hate not being able to hear what peeps around are saying- so I learnt Yoruba by force, coupled with all my yoruba bfs grin way back.
Lol. Went to yotuba sch too. Only I and one guy did not understand yoruba. But we did not care. If they say something we don't understand. Its for their pocket
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:53am On Jul 22, 2014
[color=#000099][/color]
@Op,pls there is a big difference between a language and a dialect. There can be numerous dialects of a particular Language.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Soknown: 9:53am On Jul 22, 2014
johndwayy:
bros Are you calling pidgin english a failed acculturation and enculturation? I don't think you understand what you are saying. Don't you know that language is dynamic and evolving? Each society and family has a unique way of communication. I know of various families in my neighbourhood that have successfully formed their own pattern of communication among themselves...which is Like a mixture of pidgin english, english language and d local dialect of the town, the important thing here is that they can communicate effectively and understand themselves.
Bro, thanks. I understand and agree with your point that language should be rich, dynamic and possibly constantly evolving as it comes in contact with other cultures. Let's look into your example of that group of people in your community that has a blend of pidgin, English and dialect, let assume that this new language is 'x' language, we can assume they this 'x' language is rich, dynamic and with time evolve based on contacts with other variables, forthwith the new evolution of their language would be based on 'x' language and it goes on like that and with time the original ( or what I call the " aborigine) language would be lost and not only that the newly evolved language would still be at variance with proper context/text-book English language.( two pronged losses)
Let me use this example that could highlight preservation, In Yoruba language ( I use it not because it matters but because it is the only Nigerian language I understand). The word room nowadays means Yara , Iyara, Iyewu or Kaa. These words are still being used in Yoruba literatures today, so if you bring a 18th century Yoruba man through time machine to this present century, he would understand what Yara, Iyara, Iyewu or Kaa mean because he used them in his time.
Lastly I am not a language experts but an enthusiast and I am not calling you out, just exchanging ideas. Thanks
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 22, 2014
Kizmarty: i kinda regret not knowing how to speak my local dialect..
tho i do understand.. weird huhh?

I'd to learn other intl languages to compensate for it...i must confess..I'm not so regretting anything no more
Same here, i don't speak but understand it well.
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 22, 2014
AgapeCharis: ooh ooh!
Ewebo wé ki ya?
smiley
Ejela bhe ewebo?

Do u understand dt? grin
i understand the first sentence.
you said "you live abroad?"
am i right?
i don't even know how to say yes lol
Re: Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 22, 2014
MissGdope:
i understand the first sentence.
you said "you live abroad?"
am i right?
yeea
But better put dx way....."u now live abroad?"
The second sentence means "where in abroad"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Kongo Kingdom...A underrated Kingdom / Who Are These Yorubas? / Ooni Appoints Adediwura As New Obalufe (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.